Exclusive

Exclusive: A+E Networks Developing Bonnie and Clyde Miniseries Reboot — Let's Cast the Leads!

A+E Networks is closing in on Bonnie and Clyde.

The cable giant is developing a miniseries based on the Depression Era outlaws that would air on either Lifetime or History, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively.

The news comes at a time of renewed interest for the legendary criminals. A Bonnie & Clyde musical recently opened (and closed) on Broadway, and a big-screen adaptation of Jeff Guinn’s 2010 tome Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde is in the pipeline.

Rumor has it A+E has begun compiling a wish list of actors to tackle the iconic roles, made famous by Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in the acclaimed 1967 film version — which got me thinking: Who would be on my short list of potential Bonnies and Clydes?

Peruse my dream gallery below and then hit the comments with your own picks in the comments!

1. Tiva4Life says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance ….A&E call their agents ;)

• t.t says:

yvonne and Zach!!!!!

• Chris says:

I need a major Chuck fix after the show ends, so absolutely yes to Yvonne Strahovski and Zachary Levi. They’ve already proved they form a dynamic duo, too, so…

• Jude says:

Absofrigginlutely!

• Welling Fan says:

Let ED do her little show. Tom Welling and anybody not associated with Smallville.

• Welling Fan's basement dwelling co-habitee says:

At least Erica Durance has a ‘little show’. What does our main man Welling have at the moment? More trips to Martha’s Vineyard to work on his tan? Life sucks!

• Welling Fan says:

He’s taking a long deserved break from the a show he devoted 10 years of his life. Tom’s very selective in what he does and just doesn’t dive in. BTW, I don’t watch Canadian TV. LATERS!!

• Welling Fan says:

Oh forgot to add…he just got back from Austria from his ski trip with his wife. Life sure is grand and he doesn’t seem to feel the need to get back to work anytime soon. More power to Tom! LATERS!!

• kelly jo. says:

And yet you are here wishing he was in a TV show it looks like you go to every people that comment about Erica to bash and complain about Tom lack of work for the moment. so your logic is pretty invalid here, is pretty sick and petty of you, like Welling or Durance care what you think. please got get a life no need to bash someone to bring up another. I’m fan of both them but sometimes some of you Tom welling fans are very petty that every article about Durance you had to go there and bash her just because she is working and him not. also NBC just pick Erica’s shows no that matter to you . but before you talk silliness go and actually inform yourself first.

• laed says:

i want erica duranace and tom welling play bonnie and clyde they have great chemistry please chose them they are great actor

• laed says:

i agree tom weling and erica durance could great play bonnied and clyde i hope they play them we should call theire agent

• Tessie says:

i like tom, but have him take some acting classes first.

• Tessdee says:

Don’t know why some Erica fans are so bitter. I guess it is because of all the outpouring and gushing of love that Tom Welling gets on every article she gets mentioned in. Even when the articles are about Harry’s Law or stuff that has nothing to do Tom, but still the comment section gets flooded with Tom-love posts. I can see how that would drive a few Erica fans insanely bitter. But it is so silly to me.

• ferdinan says:

Sad to admit (as an Erica fan myself) that there are fellow fans that are really bitter towards Tom

• Welling Fan says:

Totally agree. It must be hard to believe that Tom does have a fanbase that love him. Makes them no better than some other SV fanbases.

• Kim says:

So are you, Welling Fan, any better? It seems to me that you enjoy bashing Erica Durance every chance you get. Can you spell hypocrite?

• Welling Fan says:

Not bashing…just expressing how I feel. If you think that’s bashing, that’s your problem, not mine. PEACE OUT!!

• Mary says:

What are you talking about? There are a few bad apples in every bunch and from where I’m sitting….there is just as much crap behavior directed towards Erica in every article she is mentioned it.

Don’t generalize fans.

The real fans love both Tom and Erica. I love them both. They were a package deal for me on Smallville. Don’t generalize fans.

• Sonia says:

So ironic this list should come up, because a little while back Warren’s Bonnie and Clyde was on TV and it sparked a bit of twitter discussion about young Warren Beatty was so a ringer for Tom Welling. Like some scenes/angles were identical. How are they not secretly father and son?!

• Alrisha says:

Erica Durance and Alexander Skagar, Tom Welling can’t act. Erica and Alexander a hot, good actors couple.

• OnlyEDIlikeisMrED says:

Neither can ED…to me she’s horrible.

• Kim says:

You might find Erica a ‘horrible’ actress, but I think she’s awesome! Peace out.

• Johana says:

What’s this now Erica Vs. Tom? I happen to think they are both awesome actors, or is this some other diguised fan trying to put fandom against the other? the killing them from the inside is the new strategy of the most likely Chloe fan? You can’t beat the Tom and Erica fandom as yourself and now you pretend to be a Tom fan to bash Erica and then change your name and pretend to be an Erica fan and bash Tom to alianate fandoms?

• Paula says:

This is what I am betting on. It is some poor troll trying to start trouble between fan groups. The vast majority are fans of both. I do think some Alison fans are straight up mentally ill. And I don’t think they can handle all the love Tom and Erica get around the web, so they lash out and do trolling like this.

2. Halley says:

100% Kristen Bell, not sure about her Clyde, but K-Bell definitely.

Or just have Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan reprise their roles, they were fantastic!

3. Sarah says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance!! YES!!! They have the most amazing chemistry and would love to see them working together again

4. Carrie #2 says:

Jeff and Britta!! Yes!

• Angela says:

YEAH! I’d be quite curious to see just how well they could pull off being badass outlaws. It’s probably not all that likely they’ll be chosen, I think there’s other couples here who probably fit the “outlaw” personality/look better. But god, if Joel and Gillian got picked for this, yeah, I’d watch that, no question.

5. Wess says:

I’ve been watching Smallville since season one and I could never “see” the chemistry between Erica Durance and Tom Welling, I always got a brother sister vibe with their characters. So, no to them. And, I think it should be Amber Heard for Bonnie and someone more sleezy looking and not as muscular as Tom Welling but suave/handsome.

• Jude says:

Perhaps you need glasses, lol. Clark and Lois had smoking hot romantic chemistry! It was Clark and Chloe that gave off the sibling vibe, IMO.

• Fe Rosa says:

LMAO! Lois and Clark… like brothers? The joke of the week!
      Lois and Clark had so many hot scenes that my mother wouldn´t let me see it. And I am 24!

• aye says:

Dude they generated so much heat that Chloe fans started that stupid rumor that they were having an affair!

• Kim says:

@ Wess. If the way Welling and Durance played Clark and Lois made you think siblings, then I sincerely hope that you don’t have a sister if that’s the way you’d behave. Ewww!

6. Brendan says:

Kristen Bell, definately. Clyde was not a very big man, so…I would lean more towards someone other…Seth Green’s stature perhaps, not sure that he could pull it off, but…

7. Jenny says:

Kristen Bell & Zachary Quinto!

8. RachelA says:

Don’t know about Clyde but Bonnie is easily Olivia Wilde, hands down. She exudes tough, smart and plays by her own set of rules. Plus I miss her on the small screen!

9. RachelA says:

OH, Matt Bomer should be Clyde! Matt pulls off the devil-may-care smooth criminal in White Collar flawlessley. Matt Bomer and Olivia Wilde. Those are my picks.

10. Jason says:

I’d definitely choose Tom Welling and Erica Durance. Great chemistry and good looking people.

11. marines says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance!! YES!!!

12. jake says:

Seriously Kari Russell? She couldn’t act her way out of a paperbag…UGH YUCK!!!

• Larry McD says:

You’ve obviously never seen “The Upside of Anger” or “Waitress”… on the other hand, you’ve probably never seen a movie that wasn’t a sequel or a prequel.

13. lala says:

ED WESTWICK & LEIGHTON MEESTER

14. Amy says:

I would love to see Kristen Bell and Jason Dorhing together again. They are my top choice.
    Anna Paquin and Alexandar Skarsgard would also be fierce; Anna would be awesome in period costume.

• Larry McD says:

Absolutely. Dohring has that slightly psycho/barely-under-control volcano air and Bell proved she could do “I could kill you any time” in “Heroes.” Not likely “True Blood” is gonna let their stars tool off into another cable corporation’s assets any time soon.

15. Katy says:

Tom Welling & Erica Durance would own that role their chemistry is out of this world! Wellance for the Win! <33

16. Gabriela says:

Dude don’t play with my heart putting om Welling and Erica Durance up there!!! can’t take it

• Josh says:

Smallville fangirls. Virgins of the world unite.

• VirginCEO says:

You are welcome to join us Josh. We don’t discriminate by sex or but mental disabilities

• Josh says:

Obviously.

• VirginCEO says:

I know right? that’s why you should lead us ALL now, our inspirational leader, virgin and moron, and you should be our pet! we need the people’s sympathy and what better than an idiot virgin with us. Some have children or dogs on their ads, we will have YOU

• Sara says:

If you hate them, why bother commenting?? We don’t give a damn that you’re so bitter that Chloe and Clark stunk up the show. Go back to TWoP. Im sure like minded ‘people’ like you are happy to join bashing Tom, Erica!!

• sweep says:

AHAHAHAHA BURNNNNN! You win at life VirginCEO!

17. Captain says:

This isn’t a dream list, this is just a list of random celebrity couples and most of them would never work as Bonnie and Clyde.

18. So says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance ! YEAHHH COME ON !!

19. tvfan says:

Matt Bomer and Sophia Bush!I would love to see them together!
    Also,Matt with Yvonne Strahovski.

20. BP says:

What about Tom Welling ant Yvonne Strahoffski?

21. Jude says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance! No question!

22. laylagalise says:

Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring would be amazing. During the hiatus I watched “Veronica Mars” again and remembered how much I missed the two of them together.

23. Laura says:

TOM WELLING & ERICA DURANCE all the way!!!!!!!!!

24. Mia says:

I would love to see Leighton Meester as Bonnie but she would need a Clyde who could match her level of acting and emoting so in my opinion Ed Westwick is the only actor (just thinking in the lines of Gossip Girl) who could perfectly match her. They could turn Bonnie and Clyde into an amazing emotional connection while being very sexy about it.

• Jessie says:

Clearly Penn’s talented or he wouldn’t have gotten casted to play a huge lead role like Jeff Buckley. Ed’s done nothing besides play a lame cliche bad boy on a crappy CW teen soap. A one min cameo in that flop J. Edgar isn’t exactly “impressive” haha. Stay pressed about Ed’s non existent and fail acting career. Your delusion cracks me up.

• idiot says:

You obviously are threatened by Ed, or you wouldn’t have felt the need to pathetically bash Ed for no reason. Immaturity at its finest.

• Tiff says:

Really, “non existent and fail acting career”? Your sources suck, do some research and then come back and try again. And while you’re at it, watch GG again, even just S 5, and tell us he’s not carrying this show. Penn is a fine actor, I don’t need to bash him in order to make my point. Ed’s talent stands alone.

25. S says:

Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester

26. Kelly says:

The amazing, super hot chemistry of welling and durance needs to be onscreen again soon. Call them A&E!

27. marisol says:

Please not TOM WELLING & ERICA DURANCE! The ending´s too sad & heart-breaking..luv´em too much!!

28. Gerard says:

Erica Durance and Alexander Skarsgaard! They’d be perfect for Bonnie and Clyde!

29. Sharon says:

I would actually love Sophoa Bush and Austin Nichols.

30. Sean says:

I could definitely see Jason and Kristen. They can both play bad guys really well, so I think they would fit in those roles. :-)

Plus it’d be great to see them onscreen as a couple again; I thought they were perfect together on “Veronica Mars”.

31. Mélynda says:

LOL WUT? DAIR? No thank you. Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester are way better together. I can only agree on Britta and Jeff. You shouldn’t put what you want ahead than what the viewers want, yes I mean Chuck and Blair.

32. AT says:

I like some of these pairings, most of them not perhaps for these roles but most of these two actors do have chemistry. For instance, I think Erica Durance and Tom Welling in these roles wouldn’t work even though they’re good actors. I guess my pick from this list would be Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring. I’d have to think about my own personal picks though on who I think would be fitting for the role.

• Asa says:

I think the actors don’t work as they are paired on this list. But, if we played Mix-n-match we could get some brilliant combos. Love the idea of Tom Welling or Alexander Skargard with Yvonne or Kristen Bell, for instance.

33. Is there really a compelling case to be made that this miniseries is going to be a better product than the Penn film?

And seeing the ridiculous suggestions already mentioned here (Tom Welling for anything? Really?), it clear that most readers don’t want a quality product; they want a ‘pet project’ that stars their favorite cult-TV actors.

And that is just sad.

• Welling Fan says:

Crawl back under your rock…

• My severe distaste for Mr. Welling as an actor (one could argue to each his or her own) does not necessitate my living, or in any other way, occupying space beneath a rock. He may be a fine human being, but I wouldn’t have any interest in seeing Tom Welling as Clyde Barrow. Not if he paid me to do it.

While I am not a Warren Beatty fan, I thoroughly believe he captured the spirit of the ‘myth’ of Clyde Barrow. And did so in an excellent movie. And I seriously don’t believe that any B-/C+ level actors in service today can match it.

But keep this in mind. I don’t have a rock under which to crawl, but you will always have the remake of The Fog.

• hahaha says:

I love how pressed and irate this virgin dude is over your 5 word rejoinder. I hope the dateless wonder keeps flipping his lid and writes another essay in response to this!

34. Tammy says:

Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester would be much better than Penn Badgley and Leighton Meester

35. SQA says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance!! Their chemistry is just brilliant.

• John says:

If Bonnie and Clyde were supposed to be two people not remotely sexually attracted to each other then yes they have the best chemistry for the part.

• Hank says:

I really dont get why you need to be such a tool, you’re ruining the fun of discussing things. Way to be a debbie downer dude. We get it you don’t like them. LOL.

• Jay says:

Not a Smallville fan I take it. If you were and bothered to watch them, you’d know your remark is not valid. Plenty of respected reviewers have gone on to mention that their chemistry brought the show to life.

• Jay's Wife says:

No, plenty of fangirls did that. No one respects them.

• Jay's Wife's Lover says:

Meant to tell you that since I caught you with cheering with the fangirls, i don’t respect you either. Go back to your husband, as no one else respects your opinion:)

• Jay's Wife's Parole Officer says:

Nah, the fans that nobody respects are the toxic Lana worshippers and the even more poisonous Chloe ass kissers. They’re more like fan ghouls than fan girls! Who can take such a mindlessly hateful bunch seriously?!

• UmYeah says:

Ya know, some of the Lois fans aren’t exactly perfect either.lol

• Kim says:

@ Jay’s Wife. The Lois only tend to retaliate against the venomous spew instigated by the Lana or Chloe fans, and only tend to attack the character, whereas the Lana and Chloe fandom tends to attack Erica Durance personally. Not cool at all.

• Kim says:

That should be ‘Lois fans’.

36. Richard says:

Evan Rachael Wood and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

37. Tom Welling Fan says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance… and I also like Scott Porter a bit.

38. Hank says:

Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring would be interesting together. All the pairings here have chemistry but I don’t know I like the vibe Kristen and Jason give off.

39. Wrenn says:

Do want Tom Welling and Erica Durance.

40. Cnv says:

Sawyer and Kate from LOST!

41. Sarah says:

They would never do it, but:
    Ryan Gosling & Natalie Portman

Or Ian Somerhalder & anybody.. maybe Amber Tamblyn?

42. Marie says:

Yvonne Strahovski and Zac Levi!!!!!

43. Karen says:

All excellent choices. Though Jason Dohring and Kristen Bell sound incredibly amazing! If that ever happens I’ll run naked through campus (and I do not look good naked!)

44. Fanny says:

Zac & Yvonne, yes yes yes!

Also, people at TVLine, could you PLEASE learn how to spell Zac? Or you know, just call him Zachary.

45. Emma fry says:

Zachary levi and yvonne, without a doubt. X

46. vane says:

Abury plaza would be awsum! Kristen bell super overated that would suck!

47. Angie says:

Tom Welling and Erica Durance, there has to be a way we an just make it happen

48. Fun says:

Tom Welling & Kristen Kreuk or Taylor Kitsch & Minka Kelly

49. Richard says:

Scott Porter and Archie Punjabi, oye I’m intrigued! I think they’d be a viable choice IMO. Honorable mentions also go to Alexander Skarsgard & Anna Paquin or Tom Welling & Erica Durance.

50. Jules says:

My choices would be either Zac/Yvonne or Tom/Erica. They’ve got wicked chemistry and I like that these actors have height; I don’t really like disproportionate actors in terms of height because it doesn’t give you flexibility to do certain scenes if one actor is way to short than the other. I know its an odd way to think but it’s just a quirk of mine when it comes to couples on TV. As always just my opinion. :-)