Parks and Recreation Exclusive: Amy Poehler to Direct May Sweeps Episode About [Spoiler Alert]

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop

Leslie Knope’s race for city council on Parks and Recreation just got a major — some might say unfair — boost: An upcoming episode that finds Leslie facing off against her opponent in a debate was written and will be directed by the underdog candidate herself, Amy Poehler!

“It’s f—ing great,” declares executive producer Mike Schur of the episode, this season’s 20th. “It’s an awesome, funny script.”

Although Poehler has penned episodes of Parks and Rec before, this will be her first time stepping behind the cameras.

Schur isn’t revealing much else about the episode, save for the fact that the debate will be moderated by Pawnee talking head Perd Hapley.

Comments (15)

• Two words: Live episode!

(Please!)

Comment by Rock Golf – January 7, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nooooooooooo!!!! It worked for 30 Rock because it’s pretty much a cartoon already. Taking P&R’s more earthy spirit and doing it live would ruin the show.

Comment by Sam – January 7, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. No live episodes for P&R, please.

Comment by Lindsey – January 7, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sweet!! I hope she does this more often, Amy is a comic genius!

Comment by Zach – January 7, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, i’m a fan of hers even if i’ve never gotten in the show. from a purely cosmetic POV, i wish she’d get more brunette and less blond in her hair. but maybe its how she gets into this partic character?

Comment by joshua – January 7, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Amy Poehler.
    She’s a very smart, talented, and creative woman.

Comment by Eliza – January 7, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode she wrote last season (the fight) was my favorite! I can’t wait to see this episode!

Comment by Katie – January 7, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Linda – January 7, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Amy poehler she’s just awsum at everything! The fight was my favorite episode and when I found out she wrote it I was like can she be more amazing! P&r can do no wrong in my book if they did a live episode it would be awsum sauce! Praying for Amy to get the golden globe! #teamamypoehler!

Comment by vane – January 7, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perd Hapley is hosting??
    LOL. This just got even more wonderful!!

Comment by Dessy – January 7, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The story of this debate is… it’s occuring right now.” -Perd Hapley

Comment by Matt – January 7, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Well, there you have it, with ‘it’ being the thing Ms. Knope just said.”

Comment by John – January 7, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could you not mention that the role of her opponent is being played by none other than Paul Rudd?

Comment by TheDude – January 9, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before I ever looked at who wrote each episode I had two favorites, and I was not surprised at all to find they were actually both written by Amy. Not to say the other writers aren’t packing their sh*t; cos we all know they are. I’m really excited for this episode, it’s gonna be amazing!

Comment by Dearna – January 22, 2012 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post