When Portlandia premiered, no one expected it to be a success, much less one of the overnight variety. But danged if the show — a series of sketch-comedy vignettes starring real-life BFFs Fred Armisen (SNL) and newcomer Carrie Brownstein — didn’t break out. Set in a dreamy, romanticized version of Portland, Ore., it pokes fun at the city’s hipster-hippie residents, who seem to want to “pickle everything” (and we mean everything). What — and who — can you expect from the upcoming season, premiering tonight, Jan. 6, at 10 pm on IFC? Read on and find out!
• They’re baaaaack. We’ll see the returns of almost all of Season 1’s most popular characters — including Toni and Candice of Women and Women First Bookstore. In fact, House alum Amber Tamblyn will play the shop’s first intern.
• Andy Samberg not only guest-stars — as a smooth-talking bartender whose sudden relocation to L.A. prompts Fred and Carrie to make their first trek outside of Portland — he even sings in the premiere. “It’s not really a Lonely Island type of thing,” teases co-producer Jonathan Krisel, “but he definitely sings.”
• The duo forms a band called Catnap, garnering YouTube attention because of its unique member: an actual cat named Kevin. As the group becomes more successful, they get tied up — literally — by a psychotic fan named Gathy, played by Kristen Wiig.
• Battlestar Galactica-themed sketch finds a couple at a loss as to what to do with their lives after their favorite series ends.
• Jeff Goldblum dons a pink suit to play the owner of a knot store. As he puts it, to “sell knots — all kinds of things that are knotted — made of all different types of materials.”
• We’ll be introduced to a ridiculous, eco-friendly moving company whose entire operation runs on a bicycle for two.
• Besides Armisen’s promise that there will be “a lot of pickling and a lot of music,” we’ll also get a modification of “The Dream of the ’90s,” about the 1890s, Brownstein’s favorite.
Will you tune into the Season 2 premiere? Who would you love to see make their way into Portlandia?