Kelly Clarkson Joins The Voice's Season 2 Line-Up of Celeb Mentors

Kelly Clarkson, Benedict Arnold? Some American Idol loyalists may brand her as such, now that their Season 1 champ has signed on to be a part of a rival singing competition, NBC’s The Voice.

Possible Pay Cut Puts Ryan Seacrest’s American Idol Future in Flux: Is He Replaceable?

Clarkson and country singer Miranda Lambert will serve as advisers to Blake Shelton’s team during Season 2 of NBC’s hit reality competition. Meanwhile, Alanis Morissette and Robin Thicke will join Adam Levine’s team, Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds and Ne-Yo are on Cee-Lo Green’s, and Jewel and Lionel Richie will pitch in for Team Christina Aguilera.

The Voice will enjoy a strong launch for its second season, premiering immediately after Superbowl XLVI on Sunday, Feb. 5.

Clarkson can next be seen on Saturday Night Live this weekend as the musical guest behind host Charles Barkley.

SNL Books Daniel Radcliffe for Hosting Debut

What do you think about the new mentor lineup? Will you be tuning into The Voice or American Idol this spring? Hit the comments with your snappy judgements!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Reality TV

1. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Holy crap! Adam’s got a great team and so does Blake!

• Delirious says:

Robin Thicke and Ne-Yo? Other than that, it sounds quite good. I was gladly surprised by how Blake (and his mentors, and his team) ended being, quite eclectic and nice, so I’m really looking forward to what he does this year. Same (although not as much) with Xtina and her musical choices – Sia caught me completely off guard, and it’s a pity she’s so shy and she didn’t get to shine like she can.
      Without knowing about the contestants, my initial bets this year go to Blake (for his way of working incredibly well with his not-so-perfect choices) and Adam (for his awesome team making/choosing skills, despite his not-so-perfect work with them later). Which is exactly the opposite of my bets last year – I didn’t know Blake (so, yeah, I’m spanish, and not into c&w, tbh), and only knew the others as performers/producers/etc.

2. Kristina says:

I like Kelly so I’m good with it, I just wish she wasn’t on “Team Country.”

3. Snapy says:

I LOVED Kelly until I found out she’s a Republican. :-(

• Alan says:

Yeah I guess that just makes her music suck doesn’t it?

• Justin says:

Kelly’s probably not the kind of Republican you think she is. She believes in less government, which is fine. But she’s also very socially progressive. Not that I know her personally obviously. Just from interviews and tweets, this seems like the type she is.

• Drew says:

Do me a favor… go to the dictionary and look up the word “bigot”.

4. Michael Schaeffer says:

Neither. I’m gonna wait until X Factor returns in September. Also plan to go to the live auditions in June, to watch them. Hope Nicole Scherzinger isn’t back for season 2.

5. Jeff says:

Well, I just stopped watching the Voice. I have no interest in anything involving “White Power Clarkson”.

6. Annie says:

Kelly doesn’t want gays or blacks buying her albums or purchasing her concert tickets. Should we take this as a sign that those groups are to avoid watching The Voice as well?

• WTF Annie? says:

When has Kelly ever stated that. Just because she is a Republican doesn’t mean she hates gays and blacks. Grow up and troll somewhere else.

• chris says:

Are you for real? You are an idiot! Kelly Clarkson is a sweetheart. You are blinded by hate just because she said she liked Ron Paul because she wants smaller government? Kelly is not a bigot and is for equal rights for all. Shut up and stop making drama where there is none!!!!

7. Yelly says:

They’re going to need a bigger set. I’d also be sure to warn craft services she’s coming.

8. David says:

Needs to lose a considerable amount of weight. Tough to look at.

• sweetheart says:

would you say the same about Cee Lo? why don’t we judge men the same way as women? Kelly looks like a NORMAL girl. way to be ignorant

9. sam says:

Awesome! Blake’s team is lucky to have Kelly and Miranda, both are excellent performers with amazing voices. I think it’s good to have a non-country mentor who still can fit into the country world (thanks, Jason Aldean!) – working with her can make country-style contestants more versatile and appealing to a wider audience.

Also, this show is the VOICE… not the IMAGE, or the OPINIONS… Who cares what Kelly’s politics are or that she’s got curves? She’s an amazing performer with an amazing voice and that’s what should matter in entertainment.

• sam says:

And by “in entertainment” I meant “in this kind of entertainment” … there’s a place and context for caring about celebs’ politics and appearance, but this show is set up to go against the norm :)

• chris says:

Thank you for your intelligent comments. I wish everyone on here had your sense. Kelly and Miranda are amazing. Blake is adorable. Kelly loves all people and cares for all of her fans. All you haters need to stop. Kelly is a wonderful sweet person, and it is unfair to say all these nasty things about her. I am a Democrat, and I could care less that she is a Republican. Who gives a crap?? She has a heart of gold and is not a bigot. She is beautiful and her weight is fine.

10. Annie says:

Cee-lo’s team is SOLID! Also.. Robin Thicke and Lionel Richie? As if Adam Levine wasn’t enough of an incentive to watch.. I cannot wait! lol

11. Jason says:

Uh, Kelly loves gay people. In fact, she has a song about empowerment.

I’m liberal as can be, but not liking someone because they’re a Republican is stupid. Like them or dislike them based on their actions, not political leanings.

12. Annie says:

Kelly Clarkson agrees with the fact that gays should go back in the closet and that all black men are criminals, in addition to dozens of other horrifying positions. She said as much on twitter. Therefore, I am free not to watch her television appearances or purchase her increasingly irrelevant music. I am also free to state my opinions online as she has hers.

• Ugh says:

Too bad your “opinions” are stating lies as facts.

Kelly Clarkson supports gay rights and equality for all. She wasn’t aware of the scandal surrounding Ron Paul when she said she supported him, and even if she was, she’s entitled to like someone you don’t. I am sure that not every Ron Paul supporter believes in everything that he believes.

Your accusations are absurd and actually pretty offensive. The comment above that says Kelly doesn’t want gays or black people to buy her albums is ridiculous. Get over yourself. And I say this as a homosexual who actually comes from a country where we have equal rights. :)

• chris says:

Annie you are truly a scary scary nutcase. Kelly did not say anything about that crap you just spewed. You are a sick person and need help…seriously. Shut up you wacko!!!

• T says:

And WE are free to tell YOU that you are a frickin moron.

13. DryedMangoez says:

That’s great! Even more reason to watch The Voice now!

14. doug says:

You stopped liking someone because they’re a republican? That’s not very open minded…

15. vane says:

Wow did not know that about Kelly I use to love her so much f that I love the voice dough

16. Anne says:

I believe she cleared up her tweet about supporting Ron Paul with the following:

I am really sorry if I have offended anyone. Obviously that was not my intent. I do not support racism. I support gay rights, straight rights, women’s rights, men’s rights, white/black/purple/orange rights. I like Ron Paul because he believes in less government and letting the people (all of us) make the decisions and mold our country. That is all. Out of all of the Republican nominees, he’s my favorite.

17. Chris says:

@Annie, stop being an idiot. You can read the post of the actual twitter message that Anne posted. Pretty sad that you are willing to believe the worst of somebody without knowing the facts.

18. waffles says:

Kelly wasn’t happy with the rotten contracts they make you sign when you win Idol and she got herself out of it as soon as she could. She has not been beholden to them at all. She has been Miss Independent. I think she’ll be great on The Voice.

Of Ron Paul, Kelly said, “Out of all of the Republican nominees, he’s my favorite.” That’s hardly an endorsement. She didn’t say she’d vote for him over a Democrat. It’s like her saying, “Of all the German cars, BMW is my favorite,” yet she might still drive a Ford pickup.

19. Drew says:

Kelly voted for Obama in the last election. I bet that throws a wrench in your “she’s a racist!” rantings.

I’m saddened by the level of bigotry that I see in posts like this. You make someone out to be a monster just because you don’t like their political affiliation. Kelly believes in smaller government, just like most Americans do these days, when the government keeps spending, spending, spending and pushing for more power.

I think Ron Paul is buckets of crazy. I would vote for him about as much as I would vote for Obama at this point. But I will not fault Kelly for thinking for herself (unlike 99% of people in the entertainment industry).

20. Sasi says:

I cannot wait to watch the Voice now! I love Blake, but now with Kelly too. And all I have to say is Annie is nuts and KELLY CLARKSON FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Neutral says:

Good grief- how judgementsl can people be?
    Who said she was a Republicsn? It’s called an opinion and independent people have them.
    As for the weight gain-how about normal – just like a million other people that struggle with their weight. She is an incredible talent and this years show will be great.
    Btw-George Wallace was a Democrat-lighten up with the Demagoguery ;)

22. Mari says: