Done Deal: Alec Baldwin Re-Signs With 30 Rock

Reports of Alec Baldwin’s exit from 30 Rock have not only been greatly exaggerated, they’re false.

“We have Alec for next season,” NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt confirmed to reporters at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour on Friday. “We quietly did [his deal] in the fall.”

Less certain is the future of 30 Rock itself. Greenblatt acknowledged that the show has yet to be formally renewed for another season. “We have not decided [if the show will be back],” he said. “I’ll decide at the Upfront [in May].”

Thoughts? Relieved?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, News

1. Matt says:

So happy!!

2. Brian says:

So Alec has been signed for season 7 (2012-2013), but we dont know yet whether there will be a season 7?

Or Alec has been signed for season 7 (2012-2013) which is definitely happening, but we don’t know if there will be a season 8 (2013-2014)?

• Tori says:

From what I understand he has agreed to a season 7, but they haven’t(NBC) agreed to a season 7. It was probably just to make sure he was on board. If and when they pick up a season 7. And it better be WHEN!!!

3. Tori says:

I’m jumping up in down in joy. Now if it will just be renewed.

4. Matt says:

Yay! Happiness! I know a lot of people would disagree, but I maintain that 30 Rock is the smartest, funniest show I’ve ever seen. It’s time dominating the awards show scene may be over, but Tina, Alec, Jane, Tracy, Jack, and co. are responsible for creating the best ensemble cast on the air right now, and I’d hate to see the show without one of them.

5. Malcolm says:

YES!!! thank god.

6. Hmmmmm says:

i think the show may be canceled
    the ratings have NEVER been good

PS: i am a fan of the show; just talking reality — their salaries have to be very high and may not justify renewal

7. Kat says:

Given that NBC’s new comedies have NOT done well (no way is Whitney renewed and Up All Night is a big maybe) and their comedy track record recently is not that great, I can’t imagine they’d cancel the show unless they some guaranteed amazing new shows lined up.

8. Drew says:

Woohoo! The self centered, crazy, entitled loon goes on to poorly act on this past-its-prime sitcom, while good shows are shelved and better actors lose jobs! Yay!

• YourOpinionSucks says:

Clearly, you have never watched 30 Rock.

Therefore your opinion is rendered useless. Thanks!

• TV Gord says:

“Like”

• Drew says:

Clearly, you don’t know me. I’ve seen every episode. It’s really not very good. (please don’t come back with “Why do you watch it?” because that’s really not the point and I really don’t need to explain myself every time I post an opinion somewhere)

• YourOpinionSucks says:

I’m not going to ask why you watch it. I’m going to point out how asinine it is for you to have seen EVERY episode if it really isn’t “very good.”

30 Rock IS one of the best comedies on television, right next to Parks & Rec. I would LOVE to know what shows you feel should be given another season rather than 30 Rock. Whitney, mayhaps? Man up? Work it? Do share.

• Drew says:

Why I watched is none of your business. It’s irrelevant to the conversation. The fact that I have seen the episodes means that I know what I’m talking about and my opinion is legit.
            30 Rock and Parks and Rec both suck. They’re not funny. I’ve laughed maybe twice in 30 Rock’s entire run and never really did with Parks and Rec. I’d be fine if both were canceled. Right along with Whitney and, well, the rest of NBC’s sitcoms with the exception of Community (The Office was funny. Now, not so much).

NBC’s schedule is crap right now. They’re losing Chuck and they pulled Community. Smash and Awake look good, but the network really isn’t impressing me at the moment. And the longer they hold on to shows like 30 Rock and Parks and Rec, the longer they’re keeping better shows off of their schedule.

The fact that Alec Baldwin is an @$$hole would just make the cancellation that much sweeter.

• YourOpinionSucks says:

Again, since you didn’t comprehend well the first time, I’m not ASKING why you watched. I’m merely pointing out that if you don’t think it’s funny you sure as hell wasted a LOT of time watching every episode. Valid statement, and hardly irrelevant to the conversation.

Can’t comment on community since I haven’t seen it, but it seems that is the only comedy you can name that’s currently better than 30 Rock. Hmm.

If you don’t laugh watching 30 Rock, OR Parks & Rec then I have to question your taste level. To each their own, I suppose. The writing on 30 Rock is HARDLY what I would call lazy though, and I don’t feel as if any of the actors phone in their performances. Maybe Tracy Morgan, occasionally.

What IS irrelevant to the conversation is NBC’s schedule. Everyone knows it is crap, but that wasn’t what we were talking about. With NBC’s awful choices in pilots, they would be crazy to cancel 30 Rock, even with its low ratings, in order to TRY OUT potentially “better shows.”

My opinion remains unchanged. Your opinion about these shows is worthless.

Oh well, to each their own!

• Drew says:

See, this is why my opinion is more valid than yours. You can’t comment on community since you’ve never seen it… I have a broader view of the TV landscape because what I watch isn’t limited to what I particularly like or what I think it well made. Yours is a passive view, based on your entertainment. Mine comment is based on my opinions, but I am also someone who studies the industry.
            Community is the best example of better. Raising Hope is better. New Girl is better… But I can have a conversation about a series that I don’t particularly love, because I have watched and have informed opinions.

If your argument is that my opinion is invalid because I watch many shows and study how they’re put together… okay then.

I’m allowed to believe that the writing is lazy and full of itself. I’m allowed to believe that the acting is sub-par. I’m allowed to believe that more than a few of their actors are d-bags. If you don’t agree, I really must question your taste level.

To each their own indeed… so why do you have a problem with me having an opinion that is my own?

• YourOpinionSTILLsucks says:

Not that I expect you to believe me, but I WORK in the industry. Furthermore, I have a degree in Film and Media studies, and my concentration was mainly television based. Is my opinion now more valid than yours? I don’t watch Community (although I do plan on checking it out soon) but you can hardly claim you have a broader scope of the television world solely based on the fact that I don’t watch community. Furthermore, your argument that your opinion is more valid than mine based upon your knowledge of the television landscape, really only holds water when you’re aware of what shows I have seen, and what I haven’t. As of now, all you know is that I watch 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and don’t watch community.

I watch New Girl. It’s fine – nothing to get excited about. I wouldn’t care if it was canceled, but it makes for good passive viewing when it’s on and I have nothing else to watch. Hardly comparable to 30 Rock, or Parks & Rec. Nothing new, and Zooey’s character is WAY too over the top, to an extent where it can actually become grating. You think New Girl is better written or acted than 30 Rock OR Parks? In that case, my friend, your studies aren’t going so well IMO. Either that or you have a low-brow sense of humor – and hey, there’s nothing wrong with that. Seen a couple of episodes of Raising Hope, and I didn’t find it funny.

I have absolutely no problem with your having your own opinion, it’s the fact that you, as someone who claims to be EDUCATED about television, actually thinks a show like New Girl is better than 30 Rock. I also have a problem with the fact that you actually WISH for the show to be canceled, rather than just leaving it be. But, alas, I have no doubts it will be around for another season, so no worries there. I also have no doubts it will continue to bring in low ratings, but be critically adored and have a devoted fan base.

Seems to me like your problem is more with Alec Baldwin, rather than 30 Rock. Most of your points about the show have been absolutely false.

And just FYI – I hardly believe you have actually seen every episode of 30 Rock. Just like there is probably no way I will convince you that I work in the industry, there is no way I’ll actually believe you study these shows.

I think we have pretty much hashed out most of our points, and there isn’t much left to discuss. We’re not going to agree nor sway each others opinions, so I’m done with this.

Peace!

• Tori says:

30 Rock is one of the best shows on TV. It has for what ever reason never found a audience, which I blame on NBC it’s been on every time slot on Thursday.

9. Brian says:

Thanks.

10. Mitholas says:

I was so worried about this. 30 Rock is such a great show, but it centers around Jack and Liz in such a way that losing Baldwin seems like the worst thing that could happen to it aside from losing Tina (she *is* that show, after all).

11. Manuel says:

I am intrigued. If you don’t like 30 Rock, which exactly do you consider to be good shows and better actors. Just name a few, please :)

• Drew says:

I’ll just name one, because it’s the perfect example of what 30 Rock isn’t.

Community.

The writing on the show is genius. It’s not like the writers just wandered into their office and goofed around, writing down their stupid drunken jokes. They show appreciation and knowledge of the different genres that they explore and show depth in the characters that they write. 30 Rock does neither.

The cast on Community is outstanding. As with the writers, they don’t seem to just wander into work and screw around. If it comes naturally to them, you’d never know it by the level of skill put into their comedy, which is actually a very difficult genre. You have to know how to make it look effortless and breezy, but you have to have keen senses and know what you’re doing. 30 Rock looks lazy to me. Like they show up, ramble through their lines like they don’t care, Tina makes some stupid sound and the audience is supposed to laugh.

Everything Community is, 30 Rock isn’t.

And on top of that, 30 Rock’s cast seems like the d-baggiest lot of people I’ve seen on TV in a long while.

• Mecha-Dong! says:

Everything Community is, 30 Rock isn’t?
        I personally have never seen Community, I live in the UK and don’t think that it has reached here yet. So I don’t even know what it’s about. It may be good. Hell, I’ve never seen it so for all I know it could be better than 30 Rock. But 30 Rock is my favourite show at the moment and I’m extremely happy that Baldwin is on for another season, if it’s renewed. Now I don’t “study the industry” or work for it. The best I got is I’m doing a media studies course in high school right now. I may not be a genius on the subject, but I do love TV. Fair enough that everyone can have their opinions, I’m all for that, but to actually wish that a show gets cancelled just because it doesn’t appeal to you personaly is a bit of an over-the-top reaction. And you say the acting is crappy? I think that Baldwin is one of the funniest TV show actors that is currently working. His delivery and timing is great, I think, regardless of whether he is a douche in real life or not. That is none of my concern. The writing is well done and not lazy, and I’m pretty sure they are sober when they do it. So before you start getting all touchy about a show you don’t care about, just think, “there is people that like it so it may as well continue because what harm does it do to me?”.

Plus, none of my buisness but I wanted to chime in with my two cents, if you don’t like a show then there is no real reason to watch every episode. Even if you study the industry. Also WTF*ck is Parks & Recs?

12. socalgal says:

So glad he’s staying on this show I don’t watch–keeps him out of politics.

13. shirtfront34 says:

I’m an Aussie. I don’t work in the Industry. I seem to be a little late in wading into this discussion but… so be it.

Personally, 30 Rock sits neatly alongside Curb your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development and Seinfeld as being in my top four sitcom choices of all time. I’d round it out to top five but I can’t think of anything that matches the calibre of the four I’ve already listed. Actually… add Fawlty Towers. There’s my top 5 :-)

I was pretty young when the Larry Sanders show was running but I do remember seeing it on late and finding it quite good, but the memories are hazy. I think I’m going to revisit this one and see how it survives the test of time.

I’m still wading through the first season of Community and I’ve been told the writing gets stronger so it may well be a contender when I finally get current.

As for disliking 30 Rock… This is something which I do not understand. That’s obviously my problem. I try not to inflict my own stupidity on others so I’ll refrain from saying any more on the matter :-)