NBC Eyes Canadian Medical Drama Starring Erica Durance and Michael Shanks

Smallville alumna Erica Durance is coming to NBC, and not just as Wonder Woman on Harry’s Law.

NBC is in talks to pick up the yet-to-debut Canadian medical drama Saving Hope, in which Durance stars and serves as a producer, our sister site Deadline reports.

First Look: Erica Durance Transforms Into Wonder Woman for Harry’s Law

Like with the ABC import Rookie Blue, Hope would air in the summer and has a 13-episode order from Canadian broadcaster CTV.

The series stars Durance as a surgeon at a Toronto hospital. Her fiance, chief surgeon Dr. Harris (Stargate SG-1/Smallville alum Michael Shanks), lies in a coma and wanders the wards as a spirit. (How very Denny Duquette of him!) Daniel Gillies (The Vampire Diaries) co-stars as a a hot new surgeon.

Erica Durance Previews Her Saving Hope Role

Production is slated to begin in March.

1. tejas says:

You missed Michael Shanks primary past role and that was on Stargate SG-1. His character, Daniel Jackson, only ever appeared as a guest on Atlantis.

Hope they pick it up. Love Shanks’ work.

2. HoldOn2Smallville says:

All I have to say is *happy dance* I am so ready for future stills & spoilers :D

3. MikaMikea says:

Maybe they should call it “A Gifted Woman”

4. Jinny says:

Erica Durance is going to be the real draw of this show. Sure Shanks was okay on those nerdy space ship shows, but go ERICA!

5. Liz says:

Erica Durance and David Gilles! Please pick this up NBC.

• Liz says:

Whoops, don’t know why I said David, meant to say Daniel.

• Ari says:

I’m secretly (ok not so secretly) hoping that this doesn’t get off the ground because Daniel Gilles needs to get back on TVD. Elijah is missed terribly!!!

• Jude says:

In an interview earlier this year Daniel Gilles didn’t sound particularly enthusiastic about this show and seemed far more interested in being on TVD. Maybe you’ll get your wish and he’ll be written out of Saving Hope so he can go catch VD again.

• Snapy says:

It’s already in production in Canada. It’s being produced regardless of NBC’s involvement as it’s a Canadian tv series.

6. Jenny says:

Awesome news!!!

7. Mikaylah says:

I love Michael Shanks from Stargate, and everything else he does, and of course Erica Durance is amazing too. I had no idea Michael or Daniel Gillies were on this show, but I am definitely looking forward to it now.

8. David says:

I love House, Grey’s Anatomy, etc but I can’t tell you how tired I am of them trying to throw something into these type of shows like a ghost or something. I just don’t get why it can’t just be a little more traditional. It’s frustrating! I’m not saying it can’t be done where it ties into the program or whatever and I’m not saying it isn’t sometimes a creative way to do things but it is WAY OVERDONE!

• Nadia says:

So I assume this means you have viewed a pilot that no one has seen yet … I doubt it. So why would you judge a project based on a plot description? Save your “reviews” or “predictions” for after the show has aired. ;)

So happy for Erica.

“Happy 20ED”

9. Christine says:

I’m so excited about this show. Durance and Shanks are fantastic actors and the show itself sounds intriguing. The summer can’t come fast enough!

10. em says:

Sounds a lot like A Gifted Man, but Erica Durance and Daniel Gillies = hotness, so I’ll check it out.

11. Monique says:

This is really great for Erica.

12. Luke says:

I was expecting ABC (the Rookie Blue connection) but I will happily take NBC! Thanks for the great news!

13. Mena says:

Awesome news! I’m really looking forward to seeing Erica Durance on screen again.

14. Susan says:

OMG MICHAEL SHANKS AND DANILE GILLIES with the gorgeous ERICA DURANCE. I’m one happy gal today. Lets just say I’m a HUGE fan of Mr. Shanks so I’m over the moon about this. Great news! Thanks for this.

15. Syl says:

So happy! I have really missed seeing Michael Shanks every week on my TV screen. I love them both and am so looking forward to this!

16. Libby says:

I haven’t watched a medical based show in years because none of the concepts really grabbed me. The set up for SAVING HOPE, plus the cast, has got me interested already. I can’t wait to see it. Congrats and best of luck to the SAVING HOPE team!

17. Malie says:

Congralutions Erica Durance and Michael Shanks on the pick up on NBC.The both of you are awesome actors,NBC you have hit a gold mine.

18. Carrie says:

I don’t normally watch medical dramas, but I’d watch this just for the two of them. I love me some Lois Lane and Hawkman.

19. Julie says:

Michael Shanks is back. I can’t wait to see this show in the summer. Awesome actor is awesome.

• DDave in Leland NC says:

I can’t wait to see Michael on TV again. I loved his work on Stargate SG1, his one spot on Sanctuary, his couple of episodes on Burn Notice, and his appearance one one of the multi detective show’s.

20. Jude says:

So happy for Erica Durance and Michael Shanks! (But mostly for Erica, lol).

21. Wrenn says:

I’m so happy for Durance and Shanks. I hope it gets picked up here in the states and does well. I’m happy and nervous at the same time. Happy that it’s being considered to air in the US, but nervous b/c it’s NBC. Okay, I’m just going to stay in my positive bubble.

22. Baron says:

Erica is about as sexy as it gets for a woman. She’s a pretty big deal right now so I wish her all the luck in the world and hope her show gets picked up soon. I can see her show going far with her being in the lead role. :)

23. Hannah says:

Holy Canada, eh? I love it when we do stuff. Also, OMG I mad-crushed on Daniel Jackson as a kid!!! Happy to see him on the teevee again!!!

24. racbec says:

Yea! Can’t wait to see Michael Shanks on TV again! I’d watch him in just about anything!

25. David says:

I never judged the new show. I was speaking in general about shows adding a “ghost” element to a show like this. It could work very well and be a great show (or not). Generally I feel like plot points like this have been way overdone. I never pre-judged anything about the show.

26. who? says:

erica who?

27. eliza says:

Wonderful news!!! Can’t wait to see Erica again. Love Michael too.
    Congrats to you both.

28. Mike says:

So excited!
    I’m looking forward to Erica’s guest spot on Harry’s Law too.

29. DryedMangoez says:

Well it’s a great, cheap way to get original scripted programming on the network in the Summer. But NBC totally wasted The Listener two summers ago when it was actually doing respectable numbers.

30. sun says:

Mixed feelings about the news: I’m sooo happy Erica’s Saving Hope was picked up but scared it’s NBC which has a rep for quick-axe reflexes.

I guess this is the reason why ED can’t say no to wearing the WW costume in HL (and she certainly looks sooo good in it!)

Congrats to Erica Durance (the Best Lois Lane ever) and Michael Shanks (who was great as Hawkman)!!!

31. Jenn Winter says:

You forgot to mention another successful Canadian import “Flashpoint”. CBS had been airing that in the summer for a few years now to good numbers. Canadian television is quite good.

32. margy says:

There is nothing original always the same soup,too bad! Who is E.Durance? They should give more space to work and American productions.

33. antony says:

Erica Durance is not a good actress!

34. rebecca says:

Canadian productions in American actors there are never going to see are all canadians.I prefer American film of higher quality than those in canada!

35. Cynthia says:

So happy for Erica!:)

36. JAS says:

Does TV really need to raise Hope AND save Hope too?

37. Becky says:

I have no idea who these actors are, so this is not a slide on them. But my inital reaction was, “Gee NBC, you suck so bad at picking good shows in America that you have to leave the country for choices? Let’s hope Canada has better taste than you!”

38. Lupe says:

This is awesome news! I am so ready to see Erica D on my TV screen every week!

39. Olivia says:

Please take a break Erica !

40. Shelby says:

Surprised no one has mentioned they have shared the screen together before…on Smallville. There was an ep where Shank’s character almost kissed Lois Lane and they definitely had chemistry. I am so excited about this pairing and I adore Michael Shanks.

41. Anna says:

Ahhh…just when I thought I was done with NBC, they pull me back in!

42. Katy says:

Erica is not an good actress but is a pièce of wood!

43. Dan says:

NBC should’ve picked up 18 to Life from CTV… to air in the summer or air on their Thursday comedy block. It’s a perfect comedy that’s not your normal comedy that had no business being on the CW (which is why it failed and was cancelled after 3 episodes). I know this about Saving Hope… but still it had to be said. :)

44. Tracy says:

Yes please! Oh yes please!

45. Kaibosh says:

Best of luck to the show. I hope it does well. A couple of things to add however: 1) It’s refreshing to actually see Toronto named as the city. Shows like Flashpoint are clearly set in Toronto but never actually name the city. 2) I agree with some of the posters here. It sounds a lot like a Gifted Man. The question is whether Erica’s character will see the ghost or not. 3) Some of the people posting here need to back off on the condescending attitude toward Canadian television. There’s good and bad on both sides of the border.