NBC Eyes Canadian Medical Drama Starring Erica Durance and Michael Shanks

Get More: News, Series Orders

Smallville alumna Erica Durance is coming to NBC, and not just as Wonder Woman on Harry’s Law.

NBC is in talks to pick up the yet-to-debut Canadian medical drama Saving Hope, in which Durance stars and serves as a producer, our sister site Deadline reports.

First Look: Erica Durance Transforms Into Wonder Woman for Harry’s Law

Like with the ABC import Rookie Blue, Hope would air in the summer and has a 13-episode order from Canadian broadcaster CTV.

The series stars Durance as a surgeon at a Toronto hospital. Her fiance, chief surgeon Dr. Harris (Stargate SG-1/Smallville alum Michael Shanks), lies in a coma and wanders the wards as a spirit. (How very Denny Duquette of him!) Daniel Gillies (The Vampire Diaries) co-stars as a a hot new surgeon.

Erica Durance Previews Her Saving Hope Role

Production is slated to begin in March.

Comments (67)

• You missed Michael Shanks primary past role and that was on Stargate SG-1. His character, Daniel Jackson, only ever appeared as a guest on Atlantis.

Hope they pick it up. Love Shanks’ work.

Comment by tejas – January 5, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amended!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 5, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is *happy dance* I am so ready for future stills & spoilers :D

Comment by HoldOn2Smallville – January 5, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they should call it “A Gifted Woman”

Comment by MikaMikea – January 5, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahahahahahaa!

Comment by TV Gord – January 5, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true.

Comment by DL – January 6, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The cast makes all the difference in the world.

Comment by Anna – January 6, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance is going to be the real draw of this show. Sure Shanks was okay on those nerdy space ship shows, but go ERICA!

Comment by Jinny – January 5, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance and David Gilles! Please pick this up NBC.

Comment by Liz – January 5, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoops, don’t know why I said David, meant to say Daniel.

Comment by Liz – January 5, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m secretly (ok not so secretly) hoping that this doesn’t get off the ground because Daniel Gilles needs to get back on TVD. Elijah is missed terribly!!!

Comment by Ari – January 5, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In an interview earlier this year Daniel Gilles didn’t sound particularly enthusiastic about this show and seemed far more interested in being on TVD. Maybe you’ll get your wish and he’ll be written out of Saving Hope so he can go catch VD again.

Comment by Jude – January 5, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s already in production in Canada. It’s being produced regardless of NBC’s involvement as it’s a Canadian tv series.

Comment by Snapy – January 5, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news!!!

Comment by Jenny – January 5, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Michael Shanks from Stargate, and everything else he does, and of course Erica Durance is amazing too. I had no idea Michael or Daniel Gillies were on this show, but I am definitely looking forward to it now.

Comment by Mikaylah – January 5, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too ! I love all these actors !!! Is amazing !! ♥

Comment by constanza – January 5, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House, Grey’s Anatomy, etc but I can’t tell you how tired I am of them trying to throw something into these type of shows like a ghost or something. I just don’t get why it can’t just be a little more traditional. It’s frustrating! I’m not saying it can’t be done where it ties into the program or whatever and I’m not saying it isn’t sometimes a creative way to do things but it is WAY OVERDONE!

Comment by David – January 5, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So I assume this means you have viewed a pilot that no one has seen yet … I doubt it. So why would you judge a project based on a plot description? Save your “reviews” or “predictions” for after the show has aired. ;)

So happy for Erica.

“Happy 20ED”

Comment by Nadia – January 5, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited about this show. Durance and Shanks are fantastic actors and the show itself sounds intriguing. The summer can’t come fast enough!

Comment by Christine – January 5, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds a lot like A Gifted Man, but Erica Durance and Daniel Gillies = hotness, so I’ll check it out.

Comment by em – January 5, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really great for Erica.

Comment by Monique – January 5, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was expecting ABC (the Rookie Blue connection) but I will happily take NBC! Thanks for the great news!

Comment by Luke – January 5, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention ABC/Combat Hospital (even though they’re not keeping it, AFAIK).

Comment by Kelly – January 6, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! I’m really looking forward to seeing Erica Durance on screen again.

Comment by Mena – January 5, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG MICHAEL SHANKS AND DANILE GILLIES with the gorgeous ERICA DURANCE. I’m one happy gal today. Lets just say I’m a HUGE fan of Mr. Shanks so I’m over the moon about this. Great news! Thanks for this.

Comment by Susan – January 5, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Constanza – January 5, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy! I have really missed seeing Michael Shanks every week on my TV screen. I love them both and am so looking forward to this!

Comment by Syl – January 5, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched a medical based show in years because none of the concepts really grabbed me. The set up for SAVING HOPE, plus the cast, has got me interested already. I can’t wait to see it. Congrats and best of luck to the SAVING HOPE team!

Comment by Libby – January 5, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congralutions Erica Durance and Michael Shanks on the pick up on NBC.The both of you are awesome actors,NBC you have hit a gold mine.

Comment by Malie – January 5, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t normally watch medical dramas, but I’d watch this just for the two of them. I love me some Lois Lane and Hawkman.

Comment by Carrie – January 5, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll follow Smallville people every anywhere. Double reason to watch

Comment by Johana – January 5, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Shanks is back. I can’t wait to see this show in the summer. Awesome actor is awesome.

Comment by Julie – January 5, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait to see Michael on TV again. I loved his work on Stargate SG1, his one spot on Sanctuary, his couple of episodes on Burn Notice, and his appearance one one of the multi detective show’s.

Comment by DDave in Leland NC – January 13, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Erica Durance and Michael Shanks! (But mostly for Erica, lol).

Comment by Jude – January 5, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for Durance and Shanks. I hope it gets picked up here in the states and does well. I’m happy and nervous at the same time. Happy that it’s being considered to air in the US, but nervous b/c it’s NBC. Okay, I’m just going to stay in my positive bubble.

Comment by Wrenn – January 5, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica is about as sexy as it gets for a woman. She’s a pretty big deal right now so I wish her all the luck in the world and hope her show gets picked up soon. I can see her show going far with her being in the lead role. :)

Comment by Baron – January 5, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy Canada, eh? I love it when we do stuff. Also, OMG I mad-crushed on Daniel Jackson as a kid!!! Happy to see him on the teevee again!!!

Comment by Hannah – January 5, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea! Can’t wait to see Michael Shanks on TV again! I’d watch him in just about anything!

Comment by racbec – January 5, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love watching Michael Shanks. It will be nice to see him on TV again.

Comment by Geema – January 6, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never judged the new show. I was speaking in general about shows adding a “ghost” element to a show like this. It could work very well and be a great show (or not). Generally I feel like plot points like this have been way overdone. I never pre-judged anything about the show.

Comment by David – January 5, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • erica who?

Comment by who? – January 5, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news!!! Can’t wait to see Erica again. Love Michael too.
    Congrats to you both.

Comment by eliza – January 5, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited!
    I’m looking forward to Erica’s guest spot on Harry’s Law too.

Comment by Mike – January 5, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well it’s a great, cheap way to get original scripted programming on the network in the Summer. But NBC totally wasted The Listener two summers ago when it was actually doing respectable numbers.

Comment by DryedMangoez – January 5, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mixed feelings about the news: I’m sooo happy Erica’s Saving Hope was picked up but scared it’s NBC which has a rep for quick-axe reflexes.

I guess this is the reason why ED can’t say no to wearing the WW costume in HL (and she certainly looks sooo good in it!)

Congrats to Erica Durance (the Best Lois Lane ever) and Michael Shanks (who was great as Hawkman)!!!

Comment by sun – January 6, 2012 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot to mention another successful Canadian import “Flashpoint”. CBS had been airing that in the summer for a few years now to good numbers. Canadian television is quite good.

Comment by Jenn Winter – January 6, 2012 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS has opted out of Flashpoint’s next season; which will be shown on ION.

Comment by Anna – January 6, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is nothing original always the same soup,too bad! Who is E.Durance? They should give more space to work and American productions.

Comment by margy – January 6, 2012 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance is not a good actress!

Comment by antony – January 6, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Canadian productions in American actors there are never going to see are all canadians.I prefer American film of higher quality than those in canada!

Comment by rebecca – January 6, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Erica!:)

Comment by Cynthia – January 6, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does TV really need to raise Hope AND save Hope too?

Comment by JAS – January 6, 2012 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you – that’s exactly what I thought!

Comment by heather_kaye – January 6, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care if they need to resuscitate Hope, just as long as Erica Durance is back on my screen on a more frequent basis!

Comment by Maddie – January 6, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea who these actors are, so this is not a slide on them. But my inital reaction was, “Gee NBC, you suck so bad at picking good shows in America that you have to leave the country for choices? Let’s hope Canada has better taste than you!”

Comment by Becky – January 6, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome news! I am so ready to see Erica D on my TV screen every week!

Comment by Lupe – January 6, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please take a break Erica !

Comment by Olivia – January 6, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Naah….Erica Durance is too awesome to remain benched for long. The other female Smallville alums can their enforced career breaks.

Comment by Maddie – January 6, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HAVE their enforced career breaks

Comment by Maddie – January 6, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised no one has mentioned they have shared the screen together before…on Smallville. There was an ep where Shank’s character almost kissed Lois Lane and they definitely had chemistry. I am so excited about this pairing and I adore Michael Shanks.

Comment by Shelby – January 6, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were both on Stargate1 too.
      If Michael Shanks is on a show, I am there. :)

Comment by Katalean – January 6, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhh…just when I thought I was done with NBC, they pull me back in!

Comment by Anna – January 6, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica is not an good actress but is a pièce of wood!

Comment by Katy – January 6, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC should’ve picked up 18 to Life from CTV… to air in the summer or air on their Thursday comedy block. It’s a perfect comedy that’s not your normal comedy that had no business being on the CW (which is why it failed and was cancelled after 3 episodes). I know this about Saving Hope… but still it had to be said. :)

Comment by Dan – January 6, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please! Oh yes please!

Comment by Tracy – January 6, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best of luck to the show. I hope it does well. A couple of things to add however: 1) It’s refreshing to actually see Toronto named as the city. Shows like Flashpoint are clearly set in Toronto but never actually name the city. 2) I agree with some of the posters here. It sounds a lot like a Gifted Man. The question is whether Erica’s character will see the ghost or not. 3) Some of the people posting here need to back off on the condescending attitude toward Canadian television. There’s good and bad on both sides of the border.

Comment by Kaibosh – January 6, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post