Revenge Boss Teases 'Very Big' and 'Terrible' Things Ahead! Plus: Someone's Leaving!

Will Jack and Emily ever rekindle their childhood romance? Is Amanda’s true identity finally going to be revealed? Could Nolan really be Em’s half-sib? And what about Charlotte?!

Those are just some of burning questions that remain in play as ABC’s Revenge resumes its addictive freshman run tonight at 10/9c. Below, showrunner Mike Kelley sheds some light on those aforementioned mysteries/theories and teases what’s to come.

TVLINE | Let’s assume everyone has seen the first 10 minutes of Revenge‘s winter premiere. What happens next?
Well, one character is escorted from the show. Once somebody gets “revenged” they have a tendency to come back with a revenge plan of their own, so I will say that much. That’s what you can expect on the heels of Episode 11. We’re trying to expand on the theme of revenge, so it’s not just Emily’s plot to take down everyone. She happens to have poked a particularly stingy beehive this time. A lot of these people aren’t just going to rest on their laurels when they’ve been taken down. We’re going to embrace what revealed itself to be the true nature of this show, which is that it’s an old school soap opera with a super hook.

TVLINE | Piggybacking on that, was it always the plan to have Tyler and Amanda, or rather Ashton Holmes and Margarita Levieva, around as long as they have been?
We have a long-term, a mid-term and a short-term plan for each character that we bring in, and it often has to do with the chemistry of who gets cast and who fits in this world. And without naming names, there have been some instances where we had longer intentions with characters and found that it wasn’t quite working — and not by the fault of anyone or anything in particular — it just sometimes didn’t quite click, and you have to allow for those trap doors. But I would say that Ashton and Margarita brought something to this world, a certain amount of energy and danger and fun — people love to sneer when they are watching them! Especially when you’re dealing with someone like Emily Thorne, who is about as anti as an anti-hero gets because what she does is pretty awful, so you want to make sure you balance that out with enough bad people for the audience [to cheer her on]. That said, we do have a plan for both of them, but how long we draw it out depends on the strength of the performances and how it’s all clicking.

Revenge Hot Shots: Things Get Coyote Ugly As Bartender Amanda Locks Lips With [Spoiler]!

TVLINE | So, it’s safe to assume Amanda will be around for the foreseeable future?
It’s safe to say that she has a lot of cards in her deck. She started off with Emily and now she’s got her hooks into Jack. What’s interesting about this character is that she truly is loyal to Emily. She believes they have a sister-type friendship, and that makes her an asset for Emily Thorne when she needs her.

TVLINE | Speaking of Jack and Amanda, what’s ahead for them? Will he ever become wise to her true identity?
Jack has the purest heart and the best intentions. I don’t think he looks at people and thinks they are capable of the evil doings going on around him. He’s sort of willfully ignorant of the inconsistencies in Amanda’s story, but he really wants to believe her story — he named his boat after her for goodness sake! [Laughs] There’s a lot of wish-fulfillment there. She’ll reveal herself to not be the girl he was hoping she would be — and I actually mean that in the personality way — and it’s going to be a challenge. But she’s also going to introduce to him a bit of spontaneity and danger and bravery that he wasn’t embracing before, so she’s not just going to have a negative impact on Jack. Ultimately, something very big is going to happen in Episode 13 where a decision has to be made between Jack and Amanda, and Emily is deeply involved.

TVLINE | We’ve also heard there may be new character — a guy — coming around who will impact the twosome.
I can say that we are bringing in a number of new characters with small arcs, and yes, somebody will appear and make things complicated. [Laughs]

The 10 Most Underrated TV Performances of 2011, Featuring Revenge‘s Nolan

TVLINE | Are you able to give a sliver of hope to all of those Jack/Emily devotees out there?
That epic draw toward one another that those two actors create when they are in the same frame, we want to maintain that for as long as we can before we annoy anybody. But I will tell you that when and if Jack and Emily kiss for the first time, Jack will be kissing Amanda Clarke knowingly. I can’t tell you if that’s going to happen this season, next season or 100 seasons from now, I just know that the one thing Emily protects is Jack and if it ever leads to a romance — and I’m not saying that’s going to happen — there will be nothing but openness, honesty, truth and forgiveness between them.

TVLINE | Let’s play the “Fan Speculation” game.
Let’s do it!

TVLINE | There seem to be two schools of thought when it comes to the relationship between Emily and Nolan. The first is that they are siblings and he knows it, and the second is that they are — or will be — romantically interested in one another.
I would say their relationship is — hmmm, what are the cryptic words I want to use? — deeper than one of them is aware of. You never know who is going to end up with whom, but for now we’re going to explore romantic chemistry with different characters for these two. And I will not confirm or deny any fraternal ties these two have. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Interesting… And the most popular theory currently is that Charlotte and Emily are half-sisters. Care to comment?
The answer to that question is coming very, very soon.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Revenge and More!

TVLINE | We keep hearing about Episode 15 and the trial, but what’s the plan beyond that installment? Anything big to tease about the remainder of Season 1?
The murder on the beach at the start of this show [was initially] the inciting incident — which is what a show begins with and then there’s the fallout from that. But what’s really neat is that Revenge‘s inciting incident really happens in Episode 15. Something terrible happens and [beyond that] it’s about how all of [the characters] react to what that is. Emily and Victoria are going to find themselves in a situation where they have to work together; some very surprising things about Victoria’s origins will be revealed. It all frees us up to keep moving forward. It’s a true soap and the surprises will keep coming, I’ll tell you that much.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers, Winter TV Preview

1. Mitu says:

Sounds great, I can’t wait…

“deeper than one of them is aware of” – intriguing…

2. Sarah says:

I love Revenge but please don’t put Jack and Emily together. I love her with Daniel! Plus, Jack just annoys me.

• Kathy says:

I was being to think that I was the only one who couldn’t stand Jack! Whenever he or Declan come on, I lose interest. Both need to sail away forever!

• Julie says:

Yes! While I don’t dislike Jack, I just don’t want him with Emily. I like Emily and Daniel together. It would be easier to swallow that she was using him if he wasn’t so sweet (and cute).

• lorna says:

Disagreed. They have sparks! Jack is a sweet guy, as is Daniel, but team Emily/Jack.

• lacey says:

I love Emily&Daniel! I enjoy Emily and Jack’s friendship but I want it to stay that way.

• Meg says:

You have seen the season premiere, right? As far as the whole Emily/Daniel thing?

3. tvhabitblog says:

This show is one of my favorites. I’m especially loving Nolan, and Tyler, too. I’m excited to see what happens with Nolan’s relationship with Emily. I would love for them to officially be siblings!

4. Fernando says:

I have a feeling mike will go with his first idea and shoot Daniel on the beach. I like Daniel but I like jack more. Daniel is just a hottie but jack is a soul mate. I also like Tyler and Amanda and hope they stay on for a long time and please keep Nolan gay but give him a new guy to fall for.

• Alex says:

Just to clarify, Nolan is not gay; he is bisexual. He identified himself in a previous episode as a 3 on the Kinsey scale.

5. Valerie says:

I love this quote ” I just know that the one thing Emily protects is Jack”. I really want to see more of that, but I’m willing to wait for any potential romance. Honestly, as fun as Emily is, she’s really not a very good person, and Jack deserves better then that. But I really like whats being hinted at for the future relationship between these characters.

6. Mairead says:

I hope Emily isn’t the blond item!
    But Nolan getting Revenge in New York would be a cool second season.
    I love Daniel and Emily together. Can’t wait for tonight’s episode.

7. Dave says:

SO excited Revenge is finally back … now, if they could only do something about the audio quality in the Stowaway scenes!!!

8. Spencer says:

I cannot wait!!! I love this show!!!!!

9. TFD says:

Please ditch Tyler, and soon.
    He’s like the Michael Cole of this show.
    Not generating bad guy heat, but actual get the hell off my tv heat.

10. Goku says:

So, I guess Emily, Nolan and Charlotte are all half-siblings.

• dee123 says:

Yep. Dancing around the topic kind of confirms it for me. I’m also guessing that neither Nolan or Emily know about Charlotte.

11. Manu says:

That Amanda person needs to leave. The way she talks is driving me crazy

• Gerald says:

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who noticed the accent thing? Maybe it’s because she’s originally from Russia?…..

• Erin says:

The only reason I scrolled down to read comments was to see if anyone else thought the way she talks is annoying. ;) Also, I can’t stand the character, so it makes it harder to get past.

• a. says:

I’m guessing she has or has had a tongue piercing (in real life) and that’s why she speaks with a lisp.

it’s annoying as hell..

12. Shy says:

Well they didn’t show clearly that it was Daniel who was shot in pilot. They just show him from behind and Victoria assumed that it was Daniel and screamed. I keep hoping that it was someone else. Because Daniel is a nice and light person. Maybe it was Tyler? Jack or Daniel shot him. Or who knows maybe they brought some other character later.

• ThisGuy says:

They actually do show daniel’s face and charlotte even screams that it’s Danny and even screams to her mother at the party that Danny was shot. And Jack’s face was clearly visibile in one of the scenes on the beach wearing the hoodie.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

A common mis-membrance, but this is not true. I just this instant re-re-re-rewatched that pilot’s beach scenes ( http://www.hulu.com/watch/280273/revenge-pilot )and the body’s face is never shown, and Declan never turns over the body — he, Charlotte and subsequently everyone simply assume its MIA Daniel as they race onto the beach.

13. Shu says:

I do like Margarita Levieva. As actress. But character they created for her is just awful. It’s such a cliché. We saw these crazy sociopaths in every other show. Million times. I hope they will do something interesting to character or will let her go away.

• gerald says:

I don’t mind her character, she makes it more interesting and it’s always fun in these type of shows when someone comes to mess up everything, it shakes everything. The only thing that annoys me is her accent.

• Fabian says:

I think her character is great. She doesn’t really seem like a sociopath to me. The writer’s seem to be adding more layers to her than that. She just did whatever she could to protect Emily because she loves her like a sister (or maybe more? hopefully lol!). And it also seems like she has strong feelings for Jack. I hope that the writers don’t give her a crap send-off, like framing her for the murder, or killing her.

14. Katie says:

Mike Kelley is such a tease when it comes to Jack/Emily! Well, the bait-and-switch is working, I am so hooked on them.

15. chris says:

Can’t stand real Emily Thorne. Hope real Amanda takes care of her. :D

16. Gertie says:

Please leave Nolan gay and I am really hoping that he and Emily are siblings. It would be more fuel to the fire if Charlotte is also a sibling. Can’t wait to see. EXCITING!

• Michelle says:

I’m almost certain that Charlotte is Emily/Amanda’s sibling. It’ll come out in the divorce.

• Dee says:

The thing that doesn’t make sense with Charlotte being a half-sibling is her relationship with Victoria is so cold and distant.

If Victoria really loved Emily’s father (which one can assume given how emotional she becomes when she daydreams about him), you would think she would be more attached, protective and closer to Charlotte rather than Daniel.

….but it is soap, and so not everything lines up

• the girl says:

I actually think it is because she has such conflicting feelings about Emily’s father that she is cold towards Charlotte. She may have loved him but ultimately she chose to betray him and turn her back on what they had so she could maintain her life with Conrad. She probably thought she could move on from him and then oops, here comes this daily reminder of their love in the form of a daughter. Victoria has a heart and I think the only reason she still has any feelings at all for Emily’s father is because she’s been looking at the reminder of their love every day for the past 17 years. (or 16… how old is Charlotte anyway??)

17. Madison says:

I’m not sure Nolan is gay. I think he’s bisexual. He seems to have chemistry with everybody so Nolan having lots of options could be a great thing :)

• Gerald says:

He is bisexual, it’s a fact! In episode 7 Charade, Nolan reveals he a 3 in the scale. The Kinsey Sexuality scale and it’s used to describe a person’s sexual history of his or her sexual activity at a given time. It uses a scale that goes from 0 (heterosexual) to 6 (homosexual). In Nolan’s case, he said he was a 3 which is bisexual

18. jessica says:

I think that this may be the blind item answer. I think that the show is going to kill of Daniel which is shocking and sad.

19. Nicole says:

I am so bummed Daniel is really going to die. I was hoping by some miracle he would live because I love Emily/Daniel together.

I’ve been saying Emily and Charlotte were half-sisters for a while, but as for Emily and Nolan?–Hmm…

As much as I don’t want to see Daniel die, I’m kinda interested in seeing Emily and Victoria work together–would Emily show her true colors as far as deception and revenge go?

20. kbooga says:

Thank you for this! I was starting to feel insecure in my feeling towards the show, but this has me all excited and confident in it again!

21. paul says:

Perhaps Daniel finally gets rid of Tyler – just more permanently than most expected.

22. Mal says:

Charlotte and Emily? Wow, sad that I never concluded to that!

And please, no Nolan and Emily shipping! Nolan needs to stay as a gay sex slave.

23. Allie says:

I love Daniel and Emily together. I can’t help it, I think he’s such a cutie and sweet. I wish he’d more aware of some of the manipulation going on or at least be more assertive but I like him anyway. I was beginning to get really confident they weren’t going to kill Daniel but now I’m not sure….. I’d be glad if it was Tyler

24. Susy says:

I too find the real Emily annoying-accent included. But I’m suspecting that she and Amanda had some kind of romantic liasion.Anybody else noticed how Emily looked jealous when she saw Amanda and Daniel kissing?

25. davey says:

Maybe Grayson will the one who is shot.

26. jake says:

Revenge, along with castle is truly the one show that I cannot miss and look forward to every week. I too want emily to be with daniel — I hope he isn’t killed off and I really want Tyler on the canvas, ashton holmes is awesome. I hope madeline stowe wins the golden globe this year, she deserves it!

27. Alexis says:

I’m excited.

28. Amor says:

It’s Daniel who was killed, Victoria would scream like she did if it wasn’t him, and Charlotte wouldn’t act so desperate.

29. rd1991 says:

Hmmm okay so I have watched the opening scene over a few times and here are a few thoughts…. I’m pretty sure its Daniel who is killed but I think the real debate is who shoots him. Jack is never shown with the gun so I think he is actually trying to cover for someone who he has seen shoot Daniel. My guess on who shot him, I think its Emily. When she is at the party looking at the water fountain there is a quick shot that cuts to a close-up of her hand which if you look closely enough has fragments of sand on it, this would seem to suggest that she has been down on the beach. Now this could just be coincidence but when her party-planner friend (forgive me I forget her name)comes over to speak to her she tries to hide her hand, meaning she dose not want anyone to see the sand – suspicious. Also in her conversation with Nolan following this incident he says in a suspicious tone “nice night for it”, maybe he is alluding that it is a nice night for killing? Defiantly something his character would say! Anyways that just my observation of it, I could be way off! Really enjoy the show and hope they keep the twists coming!

30. willow says:

NOLAN/EMILY is the heart and soul of this show. that is all. don’t keep them restricted to just being siblings. why waste all that sexual tension?

31. sarah says:

The way this show twists and turns, they probably set it up to make it look like Daniel is murdered to collect money. Didn’t the previews just say that it all goes to him if he gets married or something?

32. ja says:

Nooo way! Tyler knows that the creaking floor under Emily’s carpet hides a secret and he will escape somehow and expose it, haven’t seen the last of him and Ashton is really playing his part to the hilt. He plays off Emily so well and he is back for his own revenge since she made him the suspect with the wallet trick and he will figure it out and be back

33. Caroline says:

Will Daniel really die on the show? If that happens, I don’t want to watch the show anymore. sigh.

34. Kristy says:

I also love Daniel and Emily. Josh Bowman andEmily Van Camp have better chemistry. Also, there is more storyline potential than Jack and Emily. I wonder which pairing is more popular.

35. Absolutely with you it agree. In it sokmething is also thought excellent.

36. Lynda says:

Wow i really can’t wait for Emily and Jack to be together

37. I will be convinced We have look at this very same form of assertion elsewhere, it needs to be more popular with the people.