Ratings: Work It Not a Total Bust, NCIS and NCIS: LA Cop Big Numbers, Lying Game Hits High

The premiere numbers for ABC’s critically lambasted Work It were not entirely ugly.

The men-in-drag comedy debuted to 6.1 million total viewers while scoring a 2.0 demo rating, retaining some 80 percent of lead-in Last Man Standing‘s numbers (7.9 mil/2.4). But while Work It improved on the short-lived Man Up‘s final audience in the 8:30 slot, it was down 17 percent from its predecessor’s own series premiere rating. (A rival network notes that Work It stands as ABC’s “lowest rated in-season comedy debut ever.”)

Tuesday’s other big headline belong to the NCISes (NCeese?). The mothership drew its second-largest audience (20.02 million, up 5 percent) and second-best demo rating (4.2, up 17 percent) for the season. NCIS: LA then went on to deliver its biggest audience of the season (17.1 million viewers) and score its best demo rating (3.5, up 17 percent) since Oct. 25.

Elsewhere on the night…..

* The Biggest Loser, back from a lonnnnnnnnng break, kicked off its new season with 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating, on par with its previous premiere (going way, wayyyy back to September).

* ABC’s Celebrity Wife Swap (6 mil/2.2) shed a few of Work It‘s viewers but improved on its demo a bit, while dipping some from its Monday night “sneak peek.”

* Unforgettable dominated the 10 o’clock hour with 11.62 million total viewers and a 2.5 rating (up 14 percent). Body of Proof held steady at 7 mil and a 1.5 while a terrific episode of Parenthood (5 mil/1.7) sadly tumbled double digits to hit a series-low demo rating.

* CABLE UPDATE: The Season 1.5 premiere of ABC Family’s The Lying Game hit series highs in total viewers (with 1.8 million), the 18-49 demo (0.7 rating) and multiple other target demos. Leading into that, Pretty Little Liars drew 3.3 million total viewers, improving on its summer run average by 27 percent.

1. Intelliwoman says:

Unfortunately I think NCIS has jumped the shark. This season has een terrible, mostly boring

• JJ says:

Your opinion is as flawed as your spelling and your handle.

• @Intelliwoman says:

I have to disagree. I felt more “meh” about last season, tbh. This season has delivered consistently good to high quality episodes, which surprises me because the show is in its 9th season. Last night’s episode was great: it had an interesting case, a good balance of humor intermixed and good growth on a storyline (Tony & Ziva) that has been very slowly been progressing all these years in the series. I enjoyed it immensely. I came on here to say, before I spotted this comment, that many of us hoped they would go forward with Tiva (as seen in the 2012 Wish List on here) and Gary Glasberg and the writers evidently already anticipated us and delivered a nice start last night in a big way. So if those minds/writers behind NCIS happen to read this today, I just want to say thanks for being so good to your fans. I know you don’t have to be and I very much appreciate it. :)

• Em says:

I agree whole heartedly. Instead of last year’s character regression, the characters have steadily progressed without reverting to NCIS’ fallback tendencies (e.g. Tony’s jokes and immaturity, etc.). Instead, he has grown and acted like a mature adult, while still remaining interesting and humorous. I’m loving this season, especially with the focus on Tony. The writers are doing a great job with this season. Really really loving this. :)

• Michael says:

If Tony and Ziva become a couple you are so right

• Jules says:

While you’re entitled to your opinion, I think 20 million people would disagree with you.

• KevyB says:

Because we all know that mob mentality means everything in the US. That’s why EXCELLENT restaurants like McDonald’s and Olive Garden do so well; why AWESOME movies like Transformers, Twilight, Cars 2 and Hangover 2 packed them in; and why SUPERB singers like Britney Spears and Katy Perry sell so many records. Because whatever is the most popular is ALWAYS the best!

2. Mel says:

Yes!! Go NCIS. Nine seasons, and it’s still pulling them in. Loved last night’s ep!

3. kevin says:

I give WORK IT an F and it’s destined to get canceled after next week’s episode but I did tune in to watch PARENTHOOD last night and the road trip episode is definitely one of the best in the series.

4. Mico says:

Work It premiere can’t top Man Up’s premiere ratings?! Shocking!!!

In the words of Debra Morgan, “sweet mary mother of f*** that’s good!” Bring out the Penny Can now ’cause the future is looking bright for the Cul-de-Sac crew! WELCOME BACK COUGAR TOWN YOU ARE SO MISSED!!!

5. A.R. says:

I admit that sometimes I feel like I’m watching NCIS for no other reason than long-time loyalty, but I’ve been enjoying this season more and more. I appreciate the return to character development, especially with Tony (thank goodness he’s back to being more than a doofus!), and though the storylines jump around a bit (and, yes, aren’t quite as solid as those in the past), I’m thankful they have a little more meat in them again.

6. E says:

The Tiva-stuff was gold!

7. Sam says:

I think no one should watch that garbage so they will cancel this crap! I WANT COUGAR TOWN BACK RIGHT NOW!!!

8. Svenja says:

Awesome ratings for both NCIS shows.
    Both shows delivered.
    NCIS surprised me with its Tiva approach (EJ as a trigger? Seriously? Didn’t see that coming. Well done NCIS) and I also liked the gunfights, action and intrigue. The hitman who killed EJ’s friend is still on the loose. Maybe he is the new villain. Who knows.

NCIS LA delivered as well. Great team interaction and a new guy.
    Intriguing. Loved it.

The cast and crew of NCIS celebrated episode 200 yesterday. They deserve it. Quality pays off. Looking forward to more episodes and great ratings.

• Nubie says:

Indeed they do, Svenja. Scott Williams – you did a BANGUP job, Sir. Two thumbs up & a high ten for you. The episode was entertaining all the way throughout – that hasn’t happend very often lately (except “Devil’s Triangle” which was also awesome). I am a happy, happy fan today!! :)

• Maria says:

Scott Williams did indeed do a fantastic job! This was one of the best-written episodes I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen them all to date. There was a lot packed into those 45-ish minutes of script, and everything from the humor to the seriousness was just superb. I hope he writes more scripts in the future. He seems to have a handle on most of the characters and kept the pace moving very well.

• Svenja says:

Just realised that the hitman was the body in that alley. Sometimes I need to rewatch episode to get every detail of the case. .
      I totally agree. Scott is a good writer.

9. Saint Alicia says:

Go NCIS! Last night’s ep was fantastic; Tony and Ziva have finally turned a corner *happy dances* :) So glad they are making progress!
    And it’s interesting that both Tony and Ziva won TVLine’s most crushable contest and then last night’s ep has them getting closer. Coincidence? You decide…
    Except I already did for you and it’s not a coincidence–Tiva is meant to be :P

10. Melanie says:

I just ha to jump in with my own PENNY CAAAAANNNNN!!!!

11. Ken says:

In re: to why the ratings were decent, everyone always tunes into a train wreck! I expect that number to sharply decline next week. A shame, it has two really good actors – but hey, they can always refer to this as the bad role they didn’t turn down.

12. Cooper Khaos says:

I hate to see my favorite prisoner in Prison Break need to become a woman to get a paycheck. A sad day for sure.

13. Carl says:

I watched Work It and I taught it was really good, I’m going to watch it again

14. Brad says:

No surprise that the one person who liked the show can’t spell.

15. Ben says:

So freakin happy for NCIS :) Last night was truly epic!

16. Mikaylah says:

I love NCIS, and last night’s episode was great. I’ve always been a Tiva shipper and have been very annoyed with the writer’s treatment of them in the past, but maybe a slow build is better. The moment at the end with Ziva and Tony was definitely palpable. I also love NCIS: LA, especially Nell and Eric. So adorable. As far as Work It goes, no. Just NO. I need Cougar Town back, ASAP.

17. estefania says:

I loved NCIS lat night , and of course tiva moment that wasn’t subtitle

18. Rebecca Parker says:

If this stays on the air and “Cougar Town” couldn’t make it, there is no God.

19. JJ says:

Time for Cougar Town! Slap out of it ABC! The cul-de-sac crew needs to return now!

• Nadine says:

I have a feeling that, in Cougar Town’s case, it’s not ABC’s decision? Maybe Courtney Cox needed a break? Anyone know? I want it back too, btw. STAT!!

• dan says:

I think the episodes are already filmed. Courtney and the rest of the cast (along with the crew) is just waiting for ABC to put them on the air.

• JJ says:

Yeah, it would almost be better if that were the case. Based off of everything the creators, cast, and writers are saying on twitter, it definitely is ABC.

• OK! says:

We should start sending ABC those little kid toys that are shaped like hands and are sticky and you like slap them on walls and things and they stick. Attached note “Slap out of it and give us our Cougar Town!”

20. Kate says:

Work it is the worst show I´ve ever seen.

I want Cougar Town back!

21. Fernando says:

If Body Of Proof does not go back up to 9 million I’m sure ABC will let it go.

• CJ says:

With the underwhelming 18-49s, I doubt it would help. They aren’t announcing anything now, but I suspect Body of Proof dropped off ABC’s radar months ago.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I don’t know exactly what happened here; it was averaging between 9 and 10 million viewers a week pretty consistently at the start of the season and then a week or two before the hiatus it started dipping. And dipping down to 7 million is a pretty steep decline. At this point, I’m pretty sure it’s a goner as it has yet to beat or even make a dent(and is never gonna with the both NCIS platforms as a lead-in) in Unforgettable’s viewership.

22. Eliza says:

Hey, ABC,

Cougar Town. Please and thank you.

Love, me.

23. Kyle says:

Oh come on, America! Watch Parenthood! What could NBC do to improve its ratings? I mean, of good shows like Parenthood and Community…

24. badprobiemcgee says:

Um, don’t be bashing this season. I think it has been better than last season. That says a lot because I loved last season. If you are gonna bash one of the NCIS seasons at least make it season 6. I couldn’t stand it, and this season is great!!!!

25. Peter says:

While I’m skeptical that it will last and at least 90% of the jokes were pretty awful I don’t think it quuuuuuuuuuite deserves an F. So D for me.

26. gerald says:

Seriously did anyone actually like Work It? Let’s just hope it’s cancelled quickly…

27. Kam says:

I am a fairly recent “convert” to NCIS (Dec. 2010), and have caught up on it in totality. The thing with watching a show’s long run so quickly is that it really shows just how the writers are working the story line and gives you an appreciation for what they are doing and trying to maintain. They cannot please everyone. But obviously the ratings show they’re doing a pretty bang up job of pleasing so many. I am not a fan of the EJ character simply because it never felt like the chemistry worked with her and anyone. Whether that was by design or the actress didn’t fit in, we’ll never know. Her storyline, to me, was the most palatable in “Housekeeping” because she was making an exit and did so kindly. She wasn’t a horrible character, but if her sole reality was to create more tension between Ziva and Tony, I think that back fired. They could have used her differenty or more subtly to do that. Although the parings on NCIS are a little obvious (Abby and McGee; Ziva and Tony) and I do hold them in a soft spot of my heart, I don’t hold them “captive” as said shippers do. I think what turns an audience off the most is introducing an alternative that is not pleasing to even consider. Outside of Tony’s deception, Jeanne was palatable. She was kind and caring. EJ didn’t come off as nasty but just not easy to watch. I like the potential between Tony and Ziva but am in no ways married to it. I want their characters to find happiness. On the Ziva side, I don’t mind Ray so much but his hair style drives me so to distraction that it’s really hard to concentrate on his good points some times. I do have to say that when I saw him propose to Ziva in the promo for next week I had the instant feeling like “You can’t be serious.” It, to me, was like when Chandler proposed to Monica (on Friends, in case you didn’t know that) because he was sorry- it was awkward. Glad the EJ, P2P, rogue FBI agents storyline is put to rest. It was not the best idea the writers ever had. Can’t wait to see what is in store. I too get the feeling that they may be starting to wrap the show up. Best to go out on top. Although, if they’re going to choose to put anyone together, I hope they let us see it develop and mature a bit and not just throw people together hurriedly to cap off the show. That’s what make the end of so many shows so awkward. Go out on a positive, high note.

• Michael says:

How can you not like the EJ, P2P, rogue FBI agents storyline but ok with Tony dating Ziva what Double standers you have

28. Chris says:

PARENTHOOD, NCIS, NCIS L.A., MODERN FAMILY, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, WHITNEY, BLUE BLOODS, BIGGEST LOSER, BACHELOR, CASTLE, SECRET CIRCLE, MENTALIST, GREY’S ANATOMY, AMAZING RACE, 30 ROCK, MAD MEN AND KARDASHIANS are trash. They are the reason why TV is in the sorry shape it is. All these shows are overrated, over-publicized and have had way too much ink spilled over them. GOOD WIFE, PERSON OF INTEREST, the original CSI, GIFTED MAN, GRIMM, AMERICAN HORROR STORY and PSYCH are the only worthwhile shows on TV.

• Bill H says:

Of all the shows you mentioned I have only seen the NCIS’s (except this season, work conflicts). You couldn’t pay me any amount of money to watch the rest of that crap. Especially those fake “reality” shows. The only reality shows on TV are sports and news ( except Fox of course).

• DUH says:

i’d take this comment more seriously, but your taste is highly suspect.

29. Michael says:

I thought NCIS was different but now they are becoming like every other cop show they are going going for a small populations of their fanbase and giving a middle finger to everyone eles.

How many time have we seen a show go down hill when two main star become lover one too many if you ask me but I guess they don’t care about what their fans want really sad how far NCIS has fallen thanks to Tiva.

Oh and Big THANK YOU to the writers about Gibbs killing innocent people its funny we get so piss off when American are killed but yet its ok for us american to kill innocent people but their not allowed to kill us.

Mcgee is I guess going to be the Joke Agent these season because he really have not done anything good these whole season escape put Tony down.

EJ was great until she told Tony to break the law and sleep with Ziva what a bitch I can’t believe the writer made her a from a kick ass agent to a Twlight chick.

30. Monique says:

“Work It” coming in under “Man Up”‘s premiere is pretty hilarious. I’m not even sure how “Work It” got past the pitching stage.

31. Brandon Rowe says:

That’s not a cyber bully! It’s accurate! (headslap)

32. Bad Breaker says:

Let’s see who gets the Biggest New Stinker award. Which is the absolute worst new show on television:
    A. Working It
    B. I Hate My Teenage Daughter
    C. Whitney

33. Nick says:

6 million people watched that crap? Really? Good god, this country is full of morons.

34. penny can says:

I want COUGAR TOWN, that’s it!

Worki It is an awfull show!

35. vane says:

I actully though work it was ganna be stupit bt its beyond funny love it!

36. Steph says:

seriously? I’ve loved this season. Even though I loved last season too it wasn’t my favorite season. So far this season has been awesome.

37. Amber says:

I liked that show better when it was called Bosom Buddies. Someone had to have already done that joke, right? Anyhoo, I sort of thought the modern spin they would put on the show would be the guys would be transvestites, even though that would be a really, really bad idea that would garner tons of hate mail to ABC and deservedly so. I just can’t see how the show would be believable as characters thinking those particular guys to be women no matter how they were dressed. It seems like a horrible idea all the way around. Anyway, I didn’t watch it. I boycott all news shows on ABC until Cougartown is back and has a cemented spot on the schedule.

38. yehnzs says:

Wow! 3 of my favorites. NCISes and Unforgettable! But I’m really excited of TIVA!!! OMG! :) I’m not really worried of Gibbs coz he has rule 51 “Sometimes you’re wrong!”. He’s already wrong about one rule -lawyer thing! ;)