Switched at Birth: 5 Reasons to Get Excited for the Winter Premiere

Fans of Switched at Birth can rejoice — Bay, Daphne and scene-stealer Emmett are finally back this Tuesday at 8/7c! After screening the winter premiere and talking with creator Lizzy Weiss, we came up with five reasons to get excited about Season 1.5 of the ABC Family charmer.

MORE EMMETT | One of the benefits of a renewal with a large episode order: It gives producers more time to dig deeper into supporting characters like Daphne’s friend-turned-Bay’s boyfriend Emmett, who will find himself torn during his parents’ divorce. “It’s a big custody battle, and Emmett’s caught in the middle,” previews Weiss. “Bay gets roped into it as well.” Meanwhile, Emmett’s deepening relationship with Bay will have him pondering whether to use his voice more. “It is a question that we do deal with a lot,” says Weiss.

EMMETT AND BAY | The lovebirds remain together, but a big obstacle looms. “There’s someone in the family who is not happy that they’re dating,” teases Weiss. “It makes it hard for them.” Look for “a big surprise” at the end of Episode 2, which will create “a big challenge” for the twosome. One threat we can rule out: Daphne. Although her feelings for Emmett are still alive and well, she won’t be making any aggressive plays for her old pal…yet. As Weiss notes, Emmett made his feelings for Bay pretty clear in the fall finale. “We don’t really overdo the triangle like some people might expect or worry about.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Switched at Birth‘s Bad Dad, and More!

MORE WILKE | With Daphne trying to let Emmett go, does that mean she might move on to classmate Wilke? “I can tell you that they have great chemistry, so we have definitely played to that,” Weiss replies coyly. That chemistry is on display big-time during a touching scene in the winter premiere. “Opening up to Wilke is not a natural instinct for [Daphne],” notes Weiss. “She never thought she would be with someone like Wilke.” The playful troublemaker, meanwhile, will have to “sell himself to Daphne,” continues Weiss. “It makes for a fun dynamic.”

SILENT FIGHTS | Those chill-inducing, take-your-breath-away silent arguments will continue to be a staple of the series. “We’re so proud of those,” says Weiss. “There’s a scene between [Emmett's mom] Melody and Emmett at the end of Episode 2 that is so incredible. It’s one of our best scenes.”

RACIAL ISSUES | The show will get into race this season as Bay comes to terms with being Latina and what that means for her relationship with her grandmother (Family Ties‘ Meredith Baxter). “She comes to town and feels a little bit differently about Bay,” previews Weiss. “She found out that she’s not blood and sees her as Latina.” Daphne will be dealing with a similar issues now that the world sees her as white. “Her last name is Vasquez,” notes Weiss. “So it’s strange for her to realize, ‘I’m technically an upper-class, white girl, even though I don’t feel that.’”

Missed the series last summer? Catch a marathon before Tuesday’s premiere, from 11 am to 8 pm.

Comments (17)

• I love this show and I’m so glad it’s back! Can’t wait for the show to start.

Comment by Patty – January 3, 2012 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely. Rocked the Summer as my fave series next to SYTYCD! Emmett is the best character and Lucas deserves an award Nom!

Comment by Brock – January 3, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!! It sounds like an amazing second half of the season, and I love how they realize there are way bigger issues on the show than teen love triangles, etc. and that the show won’t be all into that. I really love how they will focus on the show’s characters and their traits and personalities and how that affects them in their relationships with everyone.

Comment by Jill – January 3, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While nothing will take away the sting of losing Greek, this show has been a wonderful consolation prize. And it’s been a great way to introduce the beauty of American Sign Language to a larger audience.

Comment by bluebonnetbelle – January 3, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME!!!!! the race stuff is just another dimension to a multi-dimensional show. LOVE IT

Comment by lipsticksocialism – January 3, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS is great television; smart, touching, charming. I adore Emmett, he’s a total delight. The Silent Fights; got goosebumps just thinking about them. This show was a find on Hulu and I can’t wait to see more. The two moms do a fantastic job of grounding the show and the daughters are terrific.

Comment by Plum – January 3, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy it’s coming back today. I love this show so much. The silent fights are one of the most intense things I have seen on television.

Comment by Fatima – January 3, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone who knows very little about the deaf community this show is absolutely amazing and it help remind people that tv can be diverse and unique. Even though nothing is spoken in those arguements, when they sign it is so much more powerful. Well done ABC family for being unique. I love the writing and acting.

Comment by Theo – January 3, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for upgrade to hd format. Love the show though. Hope it’s around for a long time

Comment by Megalion – January 3, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping they would dive into friendships… the show seems mostly to focus on family & romance. The girls are at an age where friends definitely matter (esp. girl friends) and would like to see consequences and relationship situations around this new information of identity resulting from being switched.

Comment by Lu – January 3, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Emmett, and Emmett and Bay as a couple, and am glad that the show isn’t going gung-ho with a love triangle. I like that the show is hiring deaf actors and that they’re playing main characters, not a one-episode guest role. Sean Berdy was a find, and I’m looking forward to seeing Emmett’s story get more attention.

I hope that Wilke matures and grows, because he’s kind of an immature jerk much of the time.

Comment by MelindaB – January 3, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!!!!

Comment by Jordan – January 3, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! Can’t wait to see the premiere!

Comment by Amy – January 3, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love your show I have bean whaching it ever Spence saw it oh and I wanted to say you guys thought me lhouts of knew sighing language
    I just love you show I am a big big fan I just whached
    It not to longago acsualy sorry about my spelling I am only in city grade
    you guys inspire me to use singhn langouas so I can use it when ever I would need it oh and I love love art drawing painting my favrot thing to draw or paint is flowers my teachers and family thinck I draw and paint butifull flowers
    I do them on t-shirts know

Once again I am only 11 and I really do love your gusess showes

Comment by cristina – January 3, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello,

I live in Canada and it does not show on television here. For the first season I was downloading it and watching it from my computer with caption from another side. Can anyone please tell me where I can get the first episode for season two please.

Comment by Tamara – January 5, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • site**

Cannot wait to see the first episode. Been waiting forever!

Comment by Tamara – January 5, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show and I love to see Emmet with Bay!!

Comment by Hannah – January 27, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post