2012 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s uneasy season is upon us. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters and Ghost Whisperer over at the MIA Network. (For the last time, MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet. We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Getting Married, Dying, Breaking Up, Etc!

ABC
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Castle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Charlie’s Angels: Officially cancelled.
Cougar Town: Could go either way. Officially renewed… by TBS!
Dancing With the StarsA sure thing. Officially renewed!
Desperate Housewives: Officially cancelled; series finale aired May 13.
Don’t Trust That B—– in Apartment 23: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: Officially cancelled.
GCB: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s Anatomy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Last Man Standing: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Man Up: Officially cancelled.
The Middle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
MissingToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Modern Family: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a Time: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Pan Am: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Private Practice: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Revenge: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The RiverToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Scandal: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Shark TankA safe bet. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Work It: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.

CBS
2 Broke Girls: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Amazing Race
: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe betOfficially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: A safe bet. A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: Miami: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially renewed.
A Gifted Man: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Good Wife: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe betOfficially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: Officially renewed.
How to Be a Gentleman: Officially cancelled.
The Mentalist: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NYC 22: A long shot. Officially cancelled.
Person of Interest: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Rob: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Rules of Engagement: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed
SurvivorOfficially renewed.
Two and a Half Men: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Unforgettable: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled. Plucked from the ashes and renewed!

FOX
Alcatraz: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Allen Gregory: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Breaking In: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Finder: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Fringe: A long-shot. Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
House: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
I Hate My Teenage Daughter: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Kitchen Nightmares: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Napoleon Dynamite: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
New Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Raising Hope: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Terra Nova: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Touch: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The X Factor: Officially renewed.

NBC
30 Rock: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Are You There, Chelsea?: Too early to tell. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Awake: Could go either way. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Bent: A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Best Friends Forever: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Betty White’s Off Their Rockers: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Celebrity Apprentice: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Chuck: Already canceled; two-hour series finale aired Jan. 27.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Fashion Star: Officially renewed.
Free Agents: Officially cancelled.
Grimm: A safe bet. Officially renewed
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Law & Order: SVU: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Office: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed
Parenthood: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Playboy Club: Officially cancelled.
Prime Suspect: Officially canceled.
Smash: Too early to tell. Officially renewed.
The Firm: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Up All Night: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed
The Voice (Season 3): A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Whitney: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Who Do You Think You Are?: Officially cancelled.

THE CW
90210: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
H8R: Officially cancelled.
Hart of Dixie: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Nikita: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Officially cancelled; series finale aired April 4.
Remodeled: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Ringer: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Secret Circle: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Supernatural: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

Comments (1,295)

• I’m really hoping that FOX will renew Alcatraz. I have really enjoyed it and it would suck to not find out the endgame. Too many questions to leave us hanging…

Comment by Angela – April 6, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you too many loose ends!

Comment by tony00769 – April 16, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really really want Ringer to be renewed! I usually don’t watch tv and the only time i ever do is tuesday nights at 9 PM on the CW! Sarah Michelle Gellar is the best and Ringer is my favorite show! Save Ringer! I don’t care what shows get cancelled or renewed as long as Ringer is renewed! Best show ever, in my opinion!

Comment by nick – April 6, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And i know people say its a womens show, but it has my fav actress SMG. I didn’t think i was gonna watch past the pilot episode, but then as i was watching it, i got immediately hooked!

Comment by nick – April 6, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe that Ringer has got its neck on the chopping block, I have found this a thoroughly entertaining program.

Comment by tony00769 – April 16, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im dum an i dunt lik frinje. du yu half tu go to skool to wach it?

Comment by Dummy – April 6, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so is abc going to renew any of it’s shows …? o.O

Comment by lucy – April 7, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get BENT renewed? Best new comedy i´ve seen thus far.

Comment by Che – April 7, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE RIVER! I LOVED IT

Comment by alex – April 8, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney is probably the best comedy I’ve seen in years and I think NBC needs to get it discovered next season in a better timeslot. Whitney can definitely be a hit for them. I think their going to renew it.

Comment by safebet1125 – April 8, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer has to get renewed,i love it too much,cw should have made better promos for it,once you start to watch it, you can’t stop!!!

Comment by tbbt,ringer – April 9, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SECRET CIRCLE !! xox <333

Comment by shann – April 9, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god! The CW Needs to keep “The Secret Circle”! My whole family watches it and it is our absolute favorite show! I, for one, would be heart broken if it didn’t get renewed for Season 2.

Comment by George – April 9, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, really, really want Hart of Dixie to get renewed! Has so much more heart, soul and charm than Gossip girl and 90210, which in my opinion should have been cancelled this year (or in fact maybe last year)!

Comment by Mette – April 10, 2012 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really, really want Hart of Dixie to get renewed! It has so much more heart and charm than for example GG and 90210, which definitely should have been cancelled!

Comment by Mette – April 10, 2012 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show should be an automatic renewal!

Comment by tony00769 – April 16, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SECRET CIRCLE definitely deserves a renewal. That show has gotten to be sooo good, especially since Blackwell came back.

I’m confused though, how can Secret Circle be “could go either way” when it continuously gets higher ratings and a larger number of viewers than Hart of Dixie which you have as a “safe bet.”

I have faith and cross my fingers TSC will be renewed for a 2nd season, and over the summer we need to get the word out about it! People just got to keep tuning in to watch it LIVE, especially those Nielsen viewers please. :)

Only 4 more episodes left this season as things are really heating up. Can’t wait for April 19th so Secret Circle will be back!!

Comment by Anon – April 10, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …because TSC has a fantastic lead with TVD whilst HOD has a failing lead with Gossip Girl. TSC has a great amount of ofline and online promotion whilst Hart of Dixie has basically none and has got to where it has through word of mouth. It has a lot more potential to grow with CW investing in it and they didn’t see that coming.

Comment by Ella – May 4, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad person of interest was renewed, I really love that show..

Comment by Mori – April 11, 2012 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The River and Alcatraz both need to be renewed can’t believe FOX cancelled Terra Nova that was a fun show!

The Secret Circle is a guilty plessure please renew!
    All these networks makes shows you like some and you hates some but you can’t really enjoy cause they keep skipping days! How can you really enjoy a show a stick with it when the network keeps moving it around then you miss shows and then when they don’t get the ratings they want they cancel the show when they don’t even give us a chance to enjoy it!

Comment by desertstar3 – April 11, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, man. Each viewer has his/her own favorite type of show. Some love the comedic, others like mindless entertainment to escape — My favorite type is a show with suspense, twists and turns ~ and makes me THINK! There are always one or two of these on network television each season … and each time, I get into these shows, only to be left “hanging” as, one by one, each is cancelled. This season it’s Awake and Touch. Of course I look forward to both shows ~ so it comes as NO surprise that Awake doesn’t have a good chance of surviving. As for Touch ~ just give it a little more time to get on the soon-to-be-axed list. Sometimes I suspect that I’m being bugged by the TV goons. (“Oh, SHE likes that show … Okay, let’s cancel it!”)

Comment by Beedybome – April 11, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Alcatraz, Awake, and Ringer (sigh)

Comment by verver – April 11, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it I’m getting antsy! Not used to ABC or The CW taking this long to announce they’re renewal lists already. Last year CW did half their renewals in January and February, whereas this year they haven’t announced anything other than cancellations yet. Come on networks, post the news already!

Comment by DinoGirl23 – April 11, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If shows like Ringer and Fringe do not get renewed, I hope they at least have a “wrap up” even if it is not as satisfying as a full season. One thing that I get tired of is watching a show, getting interested in the characters, only to have it end without loose ends being tied up. Personally, I do not watch any reality shows but having a series that you are watching just end in midstream would be like watching “DWTS” or “AI” with four contestants left and not knowing who won. Personally, I think that in any contract, for a television series there should be a clause that guarantees a finale regardless.

Comment by Dena – April 11, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this idea! (Not sure if it would work, practically speaking, but it would be so much more satisfying.) I kind of think with a show like Ringer, it would feel right going out on a cliffhanger, because that’s pretty much what the show was. But at the same time I’d like answers/ends tied up/conclusion on that show more than pretty much any other.

Comment by Dana – April 16, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Body of proof gets renewed, I’m not really worried about Supernatural (My favorite) I highly doubt it would be cancelled

Comment by ES – April 12, 2012 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a big fan of Body of prtoof as well and also hope it gets renewed.

Comment by Gary – April 12, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renewed Fringe for another season!! and we will all be delighten :D

Comment by Salle ™ (@SalleThatGirl) – April 12, 2012 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All in favor in FRINGE? hands up??!! Yeah Awesome!!

Comment by Salle ™ (@SalleThatGirl) – April 12, 2012 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Gifted Man is a good show they should bring it back. The heart felt scenes of a mother pleading, a young girl out of danger shot… Didn’t expect it at all…

great show. Will miss it tremendously!

Comment by Sue – April 12, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Fringe is a “a sure thing”! That is crazy awesome!

Comment by Teag – April 12, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I wish there was some context as to why! I’m excited about that prospect and want to know why TVline updated it that way. What is going on that has made you guys say that?

Comment by btmarino84 – April 13, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was worried about Once Upon a Time because they kept saying it’s slowly been declining in ratings since they started. I hope that “sure thing” turns into “officially renewed” real soon!

Comment by Crystal – April 12, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember the days when How I Met Your Mother was a “could go either way” situation. Thank god CBS kept it around.
    Too often networks trade in good things to try and get the newest best thing, but end up with something sucky. I hope they realize it can take a while to cultivate greatness and not everything is an insta-hit.

Comment by Mandy – April 12, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they’ll keep Nikita going. Great action, acting, and it’s intriguing. I always enjoy watching it and find it a great companion to SPN for an action-packed night.

Hope SPN will come back again and will be able to woosh a new gust of magic badassery into its storyline. I still like it and at least one more season for them to go completely nuts would be great.

Still want Ringer to stay as it has potential. As for Breaking In… I laughed and smiled plenty with the first season; however, this one has just felt like someone was deliberately trying to kill it. I’d be pushed to laugh out loud once during an ep. I very much missed Dutch and Megan Mullaly’s character felt jammed into the show. It just didn’t feel the same or better. I’m sad to say it, but it deserves cancellation if it were to keep on like that anyways.

Comment by Cate – April 12, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is a “sure thing”? :DDD w00000000t

Comment by Kacsa – April 13, 2012 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL FOR 10 SEASONS! <3

Comment by Sanaஜ۩۞۩ (@Sana_Salvatore) – April 13, 2012 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe a sure thing :)

Comment by josh – April 13, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frige is the only show I’ve seen go from a “long-shot” grade to a “sure thing” one. Maybe Ausiello is wrong, or maybe he’s been replaced by a shapeshifter… who knows?

Comment by someone... – April 13, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO! I really like Awake. Why is it a longshot?

Comment by D. B. Clay – April 13, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IF RINGER DOES NOT GET RENEWED, I WILL DIE!!!

Comment by Clarissa – April 13, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You better go shopping for a coffin then.

Comment by Fee – April 17, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Fringe renewal is “A sure Thing”

Now I’m waiting FOX to anounce Fringe renewal for a complete 5th season!!!

Comment by Mauricio – April 13, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart hurts about Fringe and CSI Miami n NY so disappointed. Maybe if the ratings were better :(

Comment by Madison31 – April 13, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone notice how there are shows you watch, get into, have a falling out, and then pick them up again and find out they are cancelling it?

Too bad even moderate ratings are bad…

Comment by D.J. – April 13, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fringe is a sure thing? well I think that’s a first, for a show to climb up from a long-shot to a sure thing. as much as i’d like to believe it’ll be renewed i’m still going to have doubts until FOX officially renew it. but this is great news if true.

Comment by alex – April 13, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Hart of Dixie and Superantural get renewed! They are two of my favorites! I’d also like to see GCB and Body of Proof get picked up. Otherwise everything I like (Castle, Bones, Smash, The Mentalist, Good Wife, Glee) has already been renewed

Comment by Kathy – April 13, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is by far the best new show of the tv season. Mid-season included.

Comment by Phil – April 13, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I REALLY wish you would put dates on ths when you update it so we know how up to date your predictions are….

Comment by Stoney – April 14, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a shame about prime suspect – it was a good show w/ a talented cast!

Comment by matt – April 14, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really thought Bent was the best new comedy this year. Why it is being overlooked is such a mystery. They need to do like they did with Happy Endings and give it a shot to catch on, it’s funny and smart.

Comment by Diane – April 15, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to hear about Hart of Dixie. I love that show. Zoe and Wade all day. But I hope they will renew Ringer. The problem is that the CW takes a long hiatus and people tend to forget about the show or they lose interest. Maybe if they shortened their breaks then the ratings would pick up on all their shows. Don’t go on a month long break, then air two new episodes and then take another month break. People tend to lose interest that way.

Also I hope Fox considers renewing Alcatraz. That show was really good. It started my week and Fringe ended my week. I hope they bring back both shows.

Comment by Kristen – April 15, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d really like to see THE FINDER and PAN AM renewed. I don’t like their long-shot status! Otherwise, thankfully, my favorites are all looking promising or have already been renewed. COME ON, FRINGE!

Comment by 4theloveoffilm – April 15, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my goodness. Every time I check this the news looks better for Fringe. Ausiello, you aren’t pulling this out of your *** are you? If you have solid intel then SPILL! I am so nervous about this. I really, really, really, really want this to be true. If I give you a case of Snapple will you tell me why you are so sure?

Comment by Mindy – April 16, 2012 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You put that Chuck one in there just to hurt me :(

Comment by Amber – April 16, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE Fringe!!! Even if it’s just a final season, PLEASE, save this unique, mind-bending, beautifully love-filled show!

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – April 16, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Hart of Dixie gets renewed. I like the fact that this has HOD as a safe bet, but TV by the numbers has it as a likely cancelation so I’m still worried. It’s great.

Comment by Lauren – April 17, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know Lauren. I hate all this conflicting information! I’m so confused…. :/ It’s the only show I care about on CW other than TVD.

Comment by Ella – May 4, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC:
    I hope Private Practice doesn’t get cancelled!
    Can’t wait for more Once Upon a Time!
    ABC should pick up something awesome like Lost again…. I need there to be some type of mystery in my life. (MORNING GLORIES COMIC SHOULD GET A SHOW SOON!)
    CBS:
    I don’t understand how this network stays afloat. I have literally tried to watch so many of their shows but the only one I can stand so far is Survivor (not saying much as it’s a reality show) Except for one, The Big Bang Theory… just got into that, so looking forward to watching more.
    Fox: My favorite network!
    Bones – dreading the day that this finally gets cancelled. I hope it ends up being like CSI and people watch it for a really long time. :)
    House – dissapointed, never got into it, but was planning on it.
    Glee – My favorite show that is currently on tv, but i have a lot of complaints about it still
    New Girl – I thought I hated Zooey Deschanel until this came out because I HATE 500 days of summer. I want her to do more music in the show!
    Terra Nova – dissapointed but not surprised…
    Touch – I hope not!
    X Factor – hoping Britney Spears agrees to be a judge!
    NBC:
    Awake – need to see this to know for sure…
    The Biggest Loser – my favorite reality show
    Grimm – willing to give it a shot
    Parenthood – the only show my mom will agree to watch with me, so at least they have a wider demographic…
    Smash – whatever, this show was an extreme waste of time…
    CW:
    90210 – come on now, really?
    America’s Next Top Model – will watch Tyra in anything, really happy with the direction she’s taken the show
    Gossip Girl – I don’t want people to give up on this show, I’m not saying there’s not room for EXTREME IMPROVEMENT All I’m saying is, don’t give up yet. Chuck and Blair belong together.
    Ringer – Sarah Michelle Gellar belongs on a weekly television show, and now that there’s no buffy (at least on tv) at least I can see her on here. It’s never going to be the same, but it’s enough…
    The Secret Circle – looking forward to giving this a try
    Vampire Diaries – Need Delena, so until Stefan is completely out of the picture (dead hopefully?) I won’t be satisfied.

Comment by Christa Sloan – April 17, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post