2012 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s uneasy season is upon us. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters and Ghost Whisperer over at the MIA Network. (For the last time, MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet. We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Getting Married, Dying, Breaking Up, Etc!

ABC
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Castle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Charlie’s Angels: Officially cancelled.
Cougar Town: Could go either way. Officially renewed… by TBS!
Dancing With the StarsA sure thing. Officially renewed!
Desperate Housewives: Officially cancelled; series finale aired May 13.
Don’t Trust That B—– in Apartment 23: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: Officially cancelled.
GCB: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s Anatomy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Last Man Standing: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Man Up: Officially cancelled.
The Middle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
MissingToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Modern Family: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a Time: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Pan Am: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Private Practice: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Revenge: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The RiverToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Scandal: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Shark TankA safe bet. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Work It: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.

CBS
2 Broke Girls: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Amazing Race
: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe betOfficially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: A safe bet. A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: Miami: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially renewed.
A Gifted Man: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Good Wife: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe betOfficially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: Officially renewed.
How to Be a Gentleman: Officially cancelled.
The Mentalist: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NYC 22: A long shot. Officially cancelled.
Person of Interest: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Rob: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Rules of Engagement: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed
SurvivorOfficially renewed.
Two and a Half Men: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Unforgettable: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled. Plucked from the ashes and renewed!

FOX
Alcatraz: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Allen Gregory: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Breaking In: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Finder: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Fringe: A long-shot. Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
House: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
I Hate My Teenage Daughter: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Kitchen Nightmares: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Napoleon Dynamite: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
New Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Raising Hope: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Terra Nova: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Touch: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The X Factor: Officially renewed.

NBC
30 Rock: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Are You There, Chelsea?: Too early to tell. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Awake: Could go either way. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Bent: A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Best Friends Forever: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Betty White’s Off Their Rockers: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Celebrity Apprentice: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Chuck: Already canceled; two-hour series finale aired Jan. 27.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Fashion Star: Officially renewed.
Free Agents: Officially cancelled.
Grimm: A safe bet. Officially renewed
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Law & Order: SVU: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Office: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed
Parenthood: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Playboy Club: Officially cancelled.
Prime Suspect: Officially canceled.
Smash: Too early to tell. Officially renewed.
The Firm: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Up All Night: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed
The Voice (Season 3): A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Whitney: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Who Do You Think You Are?: Officially cancelled.

THE CW
90210: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
H8R: Officially cancelled.
Hart of Dixie: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Nikita: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Officially cancelled; series finale aired April 4.
Remodeled: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Ringer: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Secret Circle: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Supernatural: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewals

1. PFitzDC says:

Hey Team TV Line–

You’re missing “The Sing Off” from this year’s NBC lineup. Would love to know if that’s likely/unlikely to return next year!

• farsia2010 says:

my thoughts exactly, i didn’t notice your comment until i posted mine, but i was wondering the same thing, i really do think that that show is original.

2. farsia2010 says:

Does anybody know if there will be a “Sing-off” season 4 on NBC? i really love that show.

3. bluejays says:

How on gods earth can you still have Unforgettable as a safe bet after the CBS renewals news???

I have said before that the methodology used on this site is dodgy. You go far too much on overall viewers. Many have said to have HFO not as a sure thing was crazy and that its demo was strong and Unforgettables wasn’t.

Now the renewals are in and guess what? THe low demo mid week show isn’t on there. tvbythenumbers were pretty bang on with their predictions.

This site needs to look at demo a bit more and overall viewers less.

4. Edie47 says:

CSI Miami should definitely be renewed! Love that show!!! They are up against the Sunday Night Football games almost all season. Not a fair test of how good the show is and how many more viewers they would have if they were on a regular night w/o that competition.

Really hope they are renewed!!!

5. Ashley says:

Yay! Criminal Minds Renewed!!! :-)

6. Rose says:

Where is pretty little liars?!!

7. Leo and Piper says:

How in the world can a gifted man and csi new York not be officially renewed. Both are great shows. If your not home then record it on the dvr all the people I no have dvrs so they can record Friday night shows. Y is it that all the good shows r or end up on Friday night?

8. Piper and Leo says:

Pretty little lairs is on ABC Family. That channel isn’t listed on here. But I seriously hope it comes back its one of my favorite shows

9. V says:

While its still too early to tell, Awake needs to be added to the list of NBC shows.

10. Kiki says:

Isn’t ANTM already renewed since its doing a college edition in the fall?

11. eb says:

FOX: Pleeeeeze renew The Finder…best show on tv right now: light but has a plot, funny & serious (but not too…), good characters. I really enjoy it.

12. me says:

FRINGE! It’s a safe bet now! Fringe and Ringer are the 2 I’m most worried for.

13. Julia says:

Just noticed, why isn’t Awake on this list? I’m not in the US so I’m not sure, but isn’t it on NBC?

14. madhatter360 says:

WHY IS AWAKE NOT ON THIS????

15. Conor says:

We are nearly half way through Smash’s run tomorrow night, isn’t it time for a decision? (Sure Thing I’m hoping!)

16. Brandy says:

Shouldnt remodeled be listed as cancelled as cw pulled before its episodes had finished airing?Shouldnt Ringer be listed as long shot by now as its cw lowest rated show now thst h8tr & remodeled are gone? Im glad you have Hart of Dixie as a safe bet, Vd, as a sure thing,gg as sure thing, secret circle as safe bet. Hope youre right about Hart. Love that renewed next to 2 broke girls,top model should be listed as renewed yay! Those plus DH & OTH re my faves and the ones I want renewed the most.(i know dh &oth are in final season). I like nikita but doubt itll be renewed.I like 90210 & am suprised you have it listed as could go either way, im pretty sure itll be renewed as it only a few eps away from syndication & is cws 5 th highest rated show and stable in ratings mainly getting 0.7_0.8 in demo.

17. Esaul says:

Any insight on Awake?

18. Sally says:

Very surprised Unforgettable is still a safe bet. It’s so obviously certain to be canceled, and has been for weeks.

19. Alex Jones says:

this list is out of date, the list has been updated since then, why did it go back to and older version?

20. kirads09 says:

Looks like the Renewal Scorecard reverted back to a previous version and needs to be updated. At least what I am seeing. Probably due to the wordpress changeover last night? None of 18 CBS renewals recently announced are indicated.

21. Russ says:

I think the Renewal Scorecard needs to be updated.

22. Barbara says:

Hawaii Five 0, The Mentalist, and Person of Interest have already been renewed. Information found on Futon Critic.

• Patti says:

• Patti says:

I just love love love THE MENTALIST. It’s my favorite show of all time and hope it goes on and on. Especially if I can stare at Simon Baker! And this is the first time I have ever posted anything to this site.

23. Abbey says:

The scorecard had been updated within the last week or so, but looks to be the old one again. What gives?

24. Balaji K says:

It looks like this page rolled back to a previous version. The update with all the CBS renewals disappeared.

25. Balaji K says:

For some reason, this page had rolled back to a previous version; the updates about CBS renewals are missing.

26. Carrie says:

Why is this so outdated? Most of the CBS shows have already been renewed as well as Grimm.

27. Jo says:

Supernatural should’ve been cancelled a few seasons ago, it has gone right off the rails and is nowhere near the high standard of the first four seasons. Time to cut it loose!!!!

28. Jo says:

Supernatural should’ve been cancelled a few seasons ago. It has gone off the rails since season 5. End our suffering, I’d rather watch the hunky Winchesters on some other show!!!

29. Can you add “Awake” to this list? I really like the show and want to keep posted on its renewal chances. Thanks!

30. Larc says:

I don’t see anything about The Sing-Off on NBC. I heard it wouldn’t be on again in the fall because of low ratings, but would be back to its shorter early December run. But there’s been nothing more.

31. Mariana says:

glee and the voice are renewed already

32. Brigitte says:

It would be really great to see the series that are on cable networks list as well.

33. Kevin W. says:

#sixseasonsandamovie

34. Allie says:

What about Awake on NBC? It is such a great show, I really hope the network gives it another season to give it a chance. It is unique and intriguing. There is not another show like it on any network.

35. Shel says:

How often is this page/information updated? Seems like it needs to be done more often, and a “last updated” date needs to be included. My thoughts on each network:

ABC: Very happy to see Revenge, Once Upon A Time and Suburgatory as “sure things” – love all these Freshmen shows. Was not impressed with GCB: I will usually give new shows two viewings, especially with actors I like, but I didn’t bother with this one. Hope they give Cougar Town a renewal where they actually know when/how long they will be on and see what they can do with some continuity. RIP Desperate Housewives – a long-time fave.

CBS: Very happy about Person of Interest, The Good Wife, The Mentalist and the original CSI, which has received a HUGE upgrade with Ted Dansen this year. Cannot believe Rob isn’t already in the rubbish heap – ugh. Survivor and Amazing Race are still among my absolute fave reality shows, so glad to see them coming back as well.

FOX: Renew Alcatraz! Needs some fine-tuning, for sure, but worth it. Never should have canceled Terra Nova. Another show that needed some fine-tuning (in the same ways Alcatraz does), but had such an exciting premise and great actors. It deserved more time. So glad Raising Hope is a sure thing. A New Girl is getting all the buzz, and is great, but Raising Hope is turning into one of the funniest shows on right now. Hope Touch does well.

NBC: Where’s Awake? (duh. Also agree with other posters that we need to know about The Sing Off, which I think is wonderful & should continue too.) As of right now, I would renew Awake – it is mesmerizing & well-acted. But I do worry that its main premise may become too much to get past week after week. Hope not! I want to see “safe bets” renewed: Parenthood, Community, 3rd Rock. I still watch The Office and enjoy it, but I think it may be time to put it to bed, especially considering all the other changes it faces for next year. Glad to see Smash renewed. My biggest outcry would be this: RENEW WHITNEY!! The critics were wrong last fall – Up All Night was NOT better than Whitney. Whitney should not have been moved from Thursday night. UAN’s pilot may have been better, but not the show. I watch Whitney ever week, it is hysterical AND the characters are fleshed out and interesting. I cannot watch UAN, even though I love Maya. PLEASE NBC – think before dropping the axe on Whit. Are You There, Chelsea, otoh, deserves to die, imo.

CW: I don’t watch any of these shows, but have long wished I had watched Supernatural from the beginning and it is probably a show I will catch up on one of these days. So, for its fans, I hope it gets renewed.

36. nicole says:

Why don’t you have Awake anywhere on your NBC list?

37. suzanne says:

Where is Awake on the scorecard? Loving it and hoping it will be back next year.

38. Joanna says:

The firm :( I love this show!

39. Bernadette says:

If you have any clout at all…CBS…PLEASE KEEP CSI NY and get rid of CSI MIAMI…

40. Amber says:

I love Supernatural (SPN 4ever) but they have to stop. The writing isn’t the same since Kripke left. And the new people just aren’t doing it right. The reason SPN got renewed is because of the devoted fan base. Unless they get Kripke back on board the show is just going to keep getting worse. If anything they need to get back to the basics like revisiting the first 3 seasons.
    Secret Circle… I don’t understand how the producer from VD is mixed with it and the show is boring (to me). I just can’t get into it. I wouldn’t be upset if that show gott canclled. I also don’t like the casting they did the boy who plays Adam has to go and I think the girl who plays Cassie is a bipolar actress. One scene she’s amazing the next it like “what r u doing?”
    Nikita has to get renewed especially after whats happened recently. If anything it needs a final season before they take it off.
    I wish The Nine Lives of Chloe King made it :( they need to end it properly.

41. Erin says:

Renew
    Gossip Girls
    90210
    Ringer
    Vampire Dairies
    Nkita
    Supernatural
    One Tree Hill

Hart of Dixie
    The Secret Circle

42. Alli T. says:

how come Secret Circle has been changed to “Could go either way?”

43. Jen Henry says:

Please please please bring back Secret Circle on the CW. It is an awesome show; way better then 90210. Also on ABC Family please bring back Chloe King. I’d also like to add that there are way too many wonderful things to watch on Sunday evenings for my DVR to handle.

44. Brandy says:

Shouldnt Ringer & nikita be downgraded to long shot by now?

45. shouichi says:

Why do Supernatural is a safe bet while ANTM and GossipGirls are a sure thing? they have less viewers than SPN. ALWAYS

46. Any news on a Sanctuary Season 5?
    Thanks a lot!!

47. Shellr says:

Moonlight – oh wait it got cancelled, but if it was on now I feel that it would do well what with vampire shows all doing quite well these days.
    I’m happy that Ncis always tips the bill.
    Supernatural is a must as well. I love that show and I’m a lady. I don’t think that show is just for men. It has great story lines, and they have a good sense of humour.

48. tom86 says:

I can not believe Ringer is not renewed for sure! It is a great show. If it has not the same rates as others CW shows is because of its promos, Ringer has not so many promos as the other ones and it is not fair.
    It is one of the most interesting shows nowadays and its plot is really catching here in Europe, maybe not in the States. There are shows like Pam or Terranova that suck and even shows from CW like Supernatural which is going to be renewed and, in my opinion, since 6th season, this show has lost interest from many people and quality.

49. Charles Cromer says:

Why is CBS thinking of canceling both CSI NY and CSI Miami when they are both so much better than NCIS and NCIS LA. All their actors are better and their story lines are more realistic than either of the NCIS shows. And all 3 of the CSI shows should be renewed for another season and left along and get rid of some of the other shows. CBS has done all of their viewers wrong this season with the way that they took CSI NY off for several weeks and then are ending CSI Miami so early this season also. Tell me why CBS always keeps the boring shows and gets rid of the winners.

50. tvaddict says:

What about adding The LA Complex on the CW? It premieres on the 24th. And will probably do a lot better than Ringer. Seems a better fit with 90210