2012 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s uneasy season is upon us. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters and Ghost Whisperer over at the MIA Network. (For the last time, MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet. We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Getting Married, Dying, Breaking Up, Etc!

ABC
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Castle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Charlie’s Angels: Officially cancelled.
Cougar Town: Could go either way. Officially renewed… by TBS!
Dancing With the StarsA sure thing. Officially renewed!
Desperate Housewives: Officially cancelled; series finale aired May 13.
Don’t Trust That B—– in Apartment 23: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: Officially cancelled.
GCB: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s Anatomy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Last Man Standing: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Man Up: Officially cancelled.
The Middle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
MissingToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Modern Family: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a Time: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Pan Am: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Private Practice: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Revenge: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The RiverToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Scandal: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Shark TankA safe bet. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Work It: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.

CBS
2 Broke Girls: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Amazing Race
: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe betOfficially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: A safe bet. A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: Miami: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially renewed.
A Gifted Man: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Good Wife: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe betOfficially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: Officially renewed.
How to Be a Gentleman: Officially cancelled.
The Mentalist: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NYC 22: A long shot. Officially cancelled.
Person of Interest: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Rob: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Rules of Engagement: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed
SurvivorOfficially renewed.
Two and a Half Men: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Unforgettable: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled. Plucked from the ashes and renewed!

FOX
Alcatraz: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Allen Gregory: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Breaking In: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Finder: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Fringe: A long-shot. Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
House: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
I Hate My Teenage Daughter: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Kitchen Nightmares: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Napoleon Dynamite: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
New Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Raising Hope: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Terra Nova: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Touch: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The X Factor: Officially renewed.

NBC
30 Rock: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Are You There, Chelsea?: Too early to tell. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Awake: Could go either way. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Bent: A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Best Friends Forever: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Betty White’s Off Their Rockers: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Celebrity Apprentice: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Chuck: Already canceled; two-hour series finale aired Jan. 27.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Fashion Star: Officially renewed.
Free Agents: Officially cancelled.
Grimm: A safe bet. Officially renewed
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Law & Order: SVU: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Office: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed
Parenthood: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Playboy Club: Officially cancelled.
Prime Suspect: Officially canceled.
Smash: Too early to tell. Officially renewed.
The Firm: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Up All Night: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed
The Voice (Season 3): A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Whitney: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Who Do You Think You Are?: Officially cancelled.

THE CW
90210: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
H8R: Officially cancelled.
Hart of Dixie: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Nikita: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Officially cancelled; series finale aired April 4.
Remodeled: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Ringer: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Secret Circle: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Supernatural: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewals

1. Holly says:

I wish you guys at TV Line would explain your thoughts behind the rankings to a certain extent. I mean, sometimes it’s obvious, but you seem to have wildly divergent views on the “safety” of renewal for a lot of shows when compared w/ other entertainment/tv sites, such as “Community”, “The Good Wife”, “Gossip Girls”, “90210”, etc.

2. ksparkle says:

What’s wrong with a Gifted Man? I think it is a great lead in to
    CSI-NY and Blue Bloods.

3. Danny says:

NBC has had such a lackluster fall, I’d be surprised if “Harry’s Law” and “Law & Order: SVU” did NOT return. Mariska Hargitay has already indicated she’s open to return for a 14th season. The Kathy Bates legal drama has performed well in two different slots in less than one year. Meanwhile, I’d expect “Parenthood” to be back, along with a final (?) season of “30 Rock” and another year the ratings-challenged but critically adored “Parks and Recreation.” Friday’s “Grimm” looks good to return too. I have no doubt about “The Office” – it will be back.

4. fpv says:

It’s just me or everytime that Person Of Interest appears here is to talk crap about it?

5. Jillian says:

Bones won’t be cancelled. First…David and Emily are both contracted through season 8. Why would they just leave when they have a perfectly good show with decent ratings? Yeah…David tweeted pictures of taking down the set. If you notice more carefully…they are only taking down Booth’s apartment…because Booth and Brennan are buying a new house together in next week’s episode. Yeah…Zooey said that Emily had her own show on David Letterman. If you pay attention…she was talking about “Bones.” “Bones” is centered around Emily’s character, Brennan, and her relationship with Booth. David and Emily aren’t going anywhere. Second…the ratings are great. Yeah…they aren’t the best like some other shows-but Fox is clearly happy with them. They are going to air “Bones” before the Finder. That means that Fox clearly has a lot of faith in Bones to bring in viewers for their new show. They also ordered 4 extra episodes in the summer that won’t be apart of a season 8. It’s very clear that Fox wants “Bones” to air. Sorry…Bones-haters. “Bones” isn’t going anywhere. If you hate “Bones” so much and hope it gets cancelled…then it’s your problem. Just don’t come on forums or blogs, so you don’t have to deal with stupid old “Bones” anymore.

6. Hel says:

FOX has got to be the most annoying/aggravating network on TV. They just don’t stick with good shows. Sara Connor/Terminator, Chicago Code, Lie to me, DollHouse, just to name a few. And now they want to end Fringe…I wish there was something fans could do…

7. Mark says:

What about The Sing-Off. It’s missing from your list completely.

8. amyah says:

Go to youtube and look up legend of the seeker episode 6 elixir it should be 40 something minutes long watch it and tell me you don’t think this show needs to be renewed its freaking epic

9. Liz says:

I can’t believe POI one of the best new shows of the season and a Must See isn’t a sure thing!!!

10. John says:

Allen Gregory was officially cancelled by Kevin Reilly today. And I’m pretty sure Family Guy was renewed along The Cleveland Show and American Dad.

11. Elle says:

As long as Happy Endings,Cougar Town,Community,The Vampire Diaries,The Secret Circle,Hart Of Dixie,Once Upon A Time,30 Rock,Parenthood,Breaking In,2 Broke Girls,New Girl,Parks & Recreation,The Voice,Good Wife and Revenge return i’ll be happy. My other shows are renewed (Big Bang Theory & How I Met Your Mother)

12. Daniel says:

With all of the crap on NBC, should they have cancelled Chuck??? It is better than any show they have introduced over the last three years.

Fringe should be given a better timeslot to showcase the incredible writing and acting on the show!

13. KGMom says:

PAN AM!!! I know I’m dreaming and I promised myself I wouldn’t watch it last night, but this show keeps getting better and better. Its my new Sunday night soap opera, since I gave up on DH.

14. ml12345 says:

one thing hawaii 50 definitely a sure thing

15. Ruthanne says:

Why is the USA network not listed? I want to know if psych is continuing.

16. alexjones says:

why is unforgettable listed as a safe bet and person of interest is listed as could go either way despite the fact the person of interest is consistently getting better numbers than unforgettable.

17. art says:

Do you think Criminal Minds will be back for an eighth season? Is all the cast signed?

18. Kim says:

I thought Breaking In was canceled waaaay back whenever. ??

19. Renee says:

YES! Person Of Interest is up to A SAFE BET!

20. Gary says:

Really hope Body of Proof gets renewed its one of the best new shows on tv.

21. Emily says:

So the one thing that bothers me about this list doesn’t actually relate to any of the shows on it… It relates to those that aren’t. All of my loved and adored USA Network shows aren’t here. I’d love it if they were… *hint hint wink wink* ;)

22. Sam says:

Have you considered updating this with HBO, Showtime, Syfy, MTV, ABC Family, etc? That would be helpful.

23. melissa says:

I would really appreciate seeing a season 2 of revenge!!!! I was not to happy about how it was left off on episode 13. Please bring it back as soon as possible.

24. Nathan says:

You forgot to include the official cancellation of Allen Gregory. I liked the show, but oh well. :[

25. JayBone says:

Allen Gregory is ALREADY CANCELLED!

26. Diane says:

I’m a 36 year old woman, & my 47 year old hubby & I watch & love Supernatural & Ringer & TVD, & watch & like GG & TSC. We gave up on 90210 in its 2nd season – terrible acting, stupid plots, & no more Rob Estes!

27. Irishgirl says:

GAH!! I’m living in “Could Go Either Way” land!!

28. Sam says:

I don’t like that you guys use the term cancelled for everything. For example, I wouldn’t say that Desperate Housewives is getting cancelled; I’d say it is ending. Cancelled has a bad connotation to it, like it wasn’t good enough to stick around. Some shows just have a time to finish…

29. AngelMoonGirl says:

I’m happy almost all my shows are a sure bet, but for the love of all things good, SAVE FRINGE! A fifth and final season is practically necessary for this show to wrap everything up.

30. Geordiegirl1967 says:

At last someone with some sense. Bubble Watch at TV by the Numbers has put every CW show apart from TVD ‘on the bubble’, including – ludicrously – SPN.

31. Alex says:

Glad to see Fringe’s status updated…I really hope Fox and Warner Brothers work it out and give us a final season! Also glad about for Person of Interest, it’s really been getting good lately, and the ratings have finally reflected that.

32. Holly says:

I’m excited about Supernatural. It’s really the only decent show on that whole network. I just wish they’d do a cast shake-up.

Do us all a favor, CW, and get rid of Jared Padalecki(does anyone HONESTLY like him?) bring back Misha Collins (EVERYONE loved Castiel), and make Mark Sheppard a permanent fixture (more Crowley? yes please). Ratings would skyrocket.

• kerinda says:

WOW I so hate you right now. you that you just really piss me of here that the only reason I see is show in the 1st place JP has more talent in his finger than anyone on that show you ass. I am so sick of your comment that you just suck OK!

33. WHY? WHY? it’s not funny!!!! Two and a Half Men: A sure thing.

34. Lindsay says:

SUPERNATURAL!!!! I really hope they get another season…. They definitely deserve it! I personally think SPN is both a woman and guy show… I mean it has hot guys for women and action for men! I also would love it if The Secret Circle, Ringer, and Glee to come back!!!! :D I would absolutely love that!!!

35. Amy says:

Although I’d prefer six seasons and a movie for Community, it needs to be renewed for at least another season. Let the study group graduate!

36. Dawn says:

Lol I don’t agree that JP has more talent than everyone else but at the sametime he is up there with all the other amazing actors on the show like Mark, Misha, and of course Jensen. The show wouldn’t be the same without screwed up in the head Sam or without the adorable funny Jared. The fan base especially loves Jared cause he is the open goof ball :) though they love Jensen’s shyness and wicked sense of humor and Misha’s… Misha xD So the girl you responded to really needs help! She can’t be called a true fan unless she loves all the amazing actors who work their butt off

37. Dawn says:

Cant wait for another season of the Mentalist :) love that show
    Supernatural has to come back! I get that it is in its 7th season but I still think there is so much more to the story.. If it gets cancelled, so many fans are going to be extremely angry
    And I really hope Nikita comes back! It is one of the most amazing shows out there with a strong female lead!

38. Christi says:

All I care about is Community getting a 4th season. *fingers crossed*

39. TLC says:

I could have sworn I’d heard that Hugh Laurie doesn’t want to do another season of House.

I’m hoping Harry’s Law gets renewed…and glad Breaking In is getting another chance. I really enjoyed that show.

40. Grace says:

I’m going crazy waiting to hear if [H]OUSE is coming back. I have loved that show since the very first episode and I would be devastated if it ends now.
    I also really like A GIFTED MAN, so I hope it gets picked up too. It really is a very good show.

41. Snezana says:

The Mentalist :D
    Bones :D
    Csi: Miami :D
    Supernatural :D

42. instantpotatoes says:

THE SING-OFF is beautiful. Seriously the best talent-based reality show on tv. Three super constructive, relevant, articulate judges, relevant theme weeks, and kids more talented than anyone on Idol, The Voice, X Factor, etc. If they cancel it I’m going to cry.

43. Jason says:

Why is TOP MODEL a “sure thing?” That show has been played out for years now. Isn’t 18 cycles of the same tripe enough? If they’re not willing to bend even ONCE and do a cycle with male models, then cancel the show. The ratings are a microfraction of what they once were.

44. Jason says:

P.S. All of you SUPERNATURAL fans who are wringing your hands needlessly, the show just won Favorite Network TV Drama and Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Series at the freakin’ PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARDS. In what universe do you truly believe The CW execs would say, “Uh, cancel that show.” ??

Come on, use your heads. If there’s ANY “sure bet to return” show on The CW, it’s Supernatural. How many years do I have to tell you the same thing? Pedowitz knows his audience.

45. Brandon says:

All I really care about on that list is The Vampire Diaries!

46. fiona says:

gossip girl needs to be cancelled already! i am so tired of watching it!!

47. JustinAnn says:

What about
    – Teen Wolf, Season 2
    – Falling Skies, Season 2
    – The Glades, Season 3
    – True Blood, Season 5
    any news on them?

48. lena says:

I can’t see how Hawaii Five-0 is not a sure thing? It is always (or usually) beating Castle, on all shows, on Monday nights…!!!

• CastleBuffySVU says:

^Actually, Hawaii Five-0 almost never beats Castle.
      Castle wins the night pretty much 99% of the time.

Should be renewed though, it is at least good competition!

49. visualfiction says:

Last year Rules of Engagment was Could go Either way. Happy to see you all are thinking it’s a safe bet this year!

50. Jessica says:

Out of all the shows on this list the ones I want to be renewed are Supernatural, Gossip Girl, Law and Order SVU, Criminal Minds, Heart of Dixie CSI Miami, CSI New York.