2012 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s uneasy season is upon us. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters and Ghost Whisperer over at the MIA Network. (For the last time, MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet. We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Getting Married, Dying, Breaking Up, Etc!

ABC
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Castle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Charlie’s Angels: Officially cancelled.
Cougar Town: Could go either way. Officially renewed… by TBS!
Dancing With the StarsA sure thing. Officially renewed!
Desperate Housewives: Officially cancelled; series finale aired May 13.
Don’t Trust That B—– in Apartment 23: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: Officially cancelled.
GCB: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s Anatomy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Last Man Standing: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Man Up: Officially cancelled.
The Middle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
MissingToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Modern Family: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a Time: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Pan Am: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Private Practice: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Revenge: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The RiverToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Scandal: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Shark TankA safe bet. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Work It: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.

CBS
2 Broke Girls: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Amazing Race
: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe betOfficially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: A safe bet. A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: Miami: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially renewed.
A Gifted Man: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Good Wife: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe betOfficially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: Officially renewed.
How to Be a Gentleman: Officially cancelled.
The Mentalist: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NYC 22: A long shot. Officially cancelled.
Person of Interest: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Rob: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Rules of Engagement: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed
SurvivorOfficially renewed.
Two and a Half Men: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Unforgettable: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled. Plucked from the ashes and renewed!

FOX
Alcatraz: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Allen Gregory: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Breaking In: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Finder: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Fringe: A long-shot. Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
House: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
I Hate My Teenage Daughter: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Kitchen Nightmares: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Napoleon Dynamite: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
New Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Raising Hope: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Terra Nova: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Touch: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The X Factor: Officially renewed.

NBC
30 Rock: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Are You There, Chelsea?: Too early to tell. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Awake: Could go either way. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Bent: A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Best Friends Forever: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Betty White’s Off Their Rockers: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Celebrity Apprentice: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Chuck: Already canceled; two-hour series finale aired Jan. 27.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Fashion Star: Officially renewed.
Free Agents: Officially cancelled.
Grimm: A safe bet. Officially renewed
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Law & Order: SVU: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Office: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed
Parenthood: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Playboy Club: Officially cancelled.
Prime Suspect: Officially canceled.
Smash: Too early to tell. Officially renewed.
The Firm: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Up All Night: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed
The Voice (Season 3): A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Whitney: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Who Do You Think You Are?: Officially cancelled.

THE CW
90210: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
H8R: Officially cancelled.
Hart of Dixie: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Nikita: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Officially cancelled; series finale aired April 4.
Remodeled: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Ringer: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Secret Circle: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Supernatural: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewals

1. vane says:

Sooooooo happy I love parks its the best show NBC has to be honest that’s what got me watching nbc love Amy poehler really rooting for her to get the golden globe! She diseerves it she came up with the emmy skit of all the comeady women got up and CBS really need to get rid of big bang theory it sucks hope up att night gets a 2nd season its really good! And 30rock

2. rodders says:

Communitys a safe bet while Whitneys a long shot? Best. News. Ever!

3. Shiv says:

For new shows, I just hope that The Secret Circle, Once Upon A Time, Revenge, New Girl, Person of Interest, Suburgatory, Grimm, and Last Man Standing are all renewed. The Secret Circle, Once Upon A Time, and Revenge being my all time favorite new shows this season.

For returning shows, I look forward to The Vampire Diaries coming back as well as a few others.

Two shows that I’m looking forward to watching this new season is Smash and The River so I hope they are good!

4. Emily says:

how is Hart of Dixie in better shape than Ringer- I was excited for Hart of Dixie but it was painfully slow and nothing ever happened. I really like Ringer.

• fernando says:

Because Hart Of Dixie has better ratings, Ringer goes up and down with it’s ratings, im pretty sure both shows will be back.

5. :) says:

I hope House gets renewed, this season has been the best the show’s been in a long time.

6. T says:

Why is Blue Bloods not a sure thing when it wins Friday nights week in and week out?

7. James says:

FRINGE, I love you!

8. Kari says:

Hope Nikita, Community and Cougar Town make it. All my other favourite shows seem to be ok. But definitely glad to see that Community is a safe bet!!!!!

9. Luis says:

Forget about renewal. I think we need to start setting odds on whether “Cougar Town” gets aired THIS season!

10. Barbb says:

I have to admit, I LOVE this list, and I’m delighted you are doing it again!

11. Sammy83 says:

DON’T YOU DARE CANCEL FRINGE!!!!

12. H50Fan says:

Hawaii Five-0’s ONLY listed as “a safe bet” for renewal, even though BOTH its 18-49 demo & ratings have held steady–or at least not dropped APPRECIABLY–compared with last season?? SERIOUSLY?? I would think that would put it at AT LEAST “A sure thing” for renewal. Just saying.

13. Robin says:

Fringe is a long shot!?!?! NO! How did this happen?!!!

14. leola says:

Its not just ratings anymore. There are other revenue streams (foreign tv and iTunes) that can keep a show on the air longer.

15. Wendy says:

I can’t believe someone green lit Work It but they won’t play Cougar Town!! Foiled again by ABC

16. Yvonne says:

I swear, if Fox cancels Fringe…some bad stuff is gonna go down. BAD STUFF.

17. Zeina says:

won’t lie to me be back?

18. Mari says:

Fringe a long-shot? my heart </3

19. Stephanie says:

Bones better come back or i will cry myslef asleep

20. Linda says:

Really don’t understand why “Man Up” got the boot. It had the perfect lead in coming after the Tim Allen show & it was hiilarious!! I am so disappointed

21. Kally says:

I hope they give Terra Nova another try. I loved it…. I would love a second chance to live in a cleaner Earth! Great story line , great actors, come on one more season! It left a cliff hanger I need to know what happens!!!

22. Ana Muller says:

Fringe’s status is “A long-shot”? That depresses me.

23. Nancy says:

I really enjoy A GIFTED MAN. PLEASE RENEW!
    I also enjoy CSI:N.Y. PLEASE RENEW!
    But the show I LOVE and would be CRUSHED to lose is [H]OUSE.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RENEW [H]OUSE!!!!!!!!!!

24. Adog says:

I thought Bobs Burgers was already renewed for a 22 epidodes..like 2I mini seasons or something like that.

25. chloe says:

That new show with Chelsea Handler (is she playing Laura Prepon’s mother???) should be canceled just based on the unfunny commercials. Also both Whitney shows and the Ashton Kutcher thing.

Please save Fringe!

26. Rachel says:

I’m really surprised this is up already! (Although I’m definitely excited to see how it all goes). I feel like there are too many “Sure Things” and “Safe Bets” – I’m a little afraid for some of those shows (is Grimm really a safe bet? Really?) — Glad to see OUAT and Supernatural are in good standing, so far, though.

27. Julia says:

Pleased to see Community as a safe bet! Sad to see a long-shot for Fringe. I just hope they end it well…

28. Amanda says:

Very glad to see that Parenthood is “a safe bet”. What a great show…quality writing, interesting characters, good acting. I laugh and cry at every episode.

29. Mike says:

i can tell you this if the CW cancels Nikita they WILL lose alot of viewers for the rest of their shows. That is a SAFE bet. Because people will be pissed.

• Denni says:

Totally agreed! Nikita is SO amazing! its by far my favourite show on TV most of the rest i watch but im not kept guessing where the writers will take it… I will be HELL PISSED!!!!

30. Jane2 says:

Fox should cancel House and renew Fringe. Creatively House is DOA, while Fringe still has a lot to offer.

31. AngelMoonGirl says:

AKSKFKDLALDSLD FRINGE NEEDS TO BE RENEWED! It is SO QUALITY! At the very least Fox, let us have season 5 for a “final” season? Because there’s SO much to wrap up!
    I am happy about NCIS, Bones, Castle, and Once Upon a Time though!

32. darmody says:

Renew Nikita – it has awesome international sales and netflix numbers for CW. its doing good for a show on fridays in its 2nd year. Hell it has better numbers than gossip Girl and Ringer and they air on monday and tuesday

Renew Fringe – It also has awesome international sales and FOX is not gonna find a show that can do better on fridays for them.

To hell with all the other shows!

33. scorpo says:

Sorry if this has been repeated, but isn’t The Voice already renewed? Isn’t it premiering after The Super Bowl?

34. carol says:

I don’t get how Person of Interest rates only a “could go either way.” This is by far the best new drama of the season. Each week it improves substantially in both its storytelling and its ratings. (Something which cannot be said for other new shows like Once Upon a Time or Unforgettable.)

I have mixed feelings about Terra Nova, but I would watch it again if it got a season two, as long as the dinosaurs were featured and the corny teen angst was reduced.

House needs to go and put us all out of its misery.

35. Col says:

What about “Harry’s Law”. It is a great show and it should b renewed! Kathy bates is great on that show!

36. Steve says:

Missing from the list:
    NBC’s The Sing Off. Any News?!

37. NotsoDarling says:

“Nikita” needs to get renewed!!! Aus,u just broke my frigging heart :( Nikita may not be getting the viewer count it deserves but it’s on frakking Friday night!!What did The CW expect!! Nikita has really shown great character and plot development this season..the new characters have brought great depth and awesomeness to the show..The show is one of the best CW has to offer..and the GetGlue fan campaigns over the hiatus proved that it has a loyal following..I can’t wait for new episodes to air and hopefully,the ratings will improve..I just can’t!! I can’t even think about Nikita being cancelled! Too much feelings right now:(

38. ILuvUFringe says:

FRINGE is a long shot? Oh no! :(

39. Olivia says:

I’m hoping so much for Fringe. Best show on that network BY FAR.

40. Out with the Old says:

Get rid of House and Bones, while House has improved this season and may deserve a second look, Bones is so far off the tracks with the lead characters that I can’t stand it anymore. Can’t believe I went from die hard shipper to hating Booth and Brennan in a season and a half. Nice work HH and SN. The pregnancy story is good, the writing of it is beyond garbage. Cancel it.

Fringe should be saved.

41. Bluejays says:

This list is bizarre! Lets just take CBS. Seriously how can The Good Wife be more of a sure thing than HFO? HFO is THE number one ten pm show demo wise and it has a brilliant syndication deal AND it is a CBS production. Doesn’t matter if it is a couple years away from that syndication, the deal is so sweet that it is in CBS’s interests to keep the show on air.

Yeah The Good Wife gets acclaim but they can’t even sell it into syndication. Doesn’t matter if it’s only a year away if they can’t get the sale! And Unforgettable a safe bet? Very odd. Does this go more on total viewers than the more relevant demo numbers? It’s the only explanation I can find. Why though? I mean everyone knows that the demo might not be all that matters but it sure counts for a lot more than total viewers.

42. GeeMa says:

Hope Terra Nova gets renewed. It would be interesting to see how the people operate without all the technology they are used to using. Come on FOX, let it have a 2nd season.

43. JJ says:

No way is Person of Interest “could go either way”, when Unforgettable is a “sure thing”.
    Seems apparent you really don’t watch all the shows you are putting comments on for renewal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    or even consider the ratings/# viewers. ie Person of Interest, most recently, was ranked 8th in viewership, with 12.9 million viewers.
    Love it!! Great show..
    vs “Unforgettable” which is, sadly, forgettable.

44. Jericho says:

Community is a safe bet?

Then why all the hype about its forced hiatus and the “support Community” PR machine?

45. Sara says:

Keep Ringer! Its amazing :)

46. Dawn Lasky says:

Update this list. Bones is cancelled, the sets are gone and the stars are already filming new projects. David Boreanaz has already tweeted pics of the sets being dismantled and shots from his new projects. Zooey already said on Letterman that Emily Duschanel has her own show now.

• Jillian says:

Bones will get renewed. They are only taking down Booth’s apartment…because Booth and Brennan moved in together…and Zooey was talking about “Bones” when she said that Emily has her own show. Both David and Emily Get are contracted through season 8. Why the hell would they just leave, when they have a perfectly good show with very decent ratings? your story straight. There is absolutely no news confirming your story about how Bones is cancelled and they are looking for other projects.

47. Sally says:

Person of Interest has to be renewed. I love it.

48. Deana says:

‘Person of Interest’ could go either way?! I’d think it’s a sure thing! That show is so unique and interesting, I go through withdrawal waiting for a new episode! it BETTER be renewed! ‘Could go either way’ shocked me to the core! AHHHHHH

49. Lisa says:

I hope csi:miami comes back for season 11 and I’m hoping Hawaii Five-0 comes back for season 3..I mean it said a safe bet for five-o..so I’m hoping it gets renewed for season 3 and the same for csi:miami! Hawaii Five-0 should be renewed and CSI:Miami. CSI:Miami and Hawaii Five-0 get better ratings then the good wife..I don’t like the good wife! CSI:Miami and Hawaii Five-0 the best tv shows on cbs! they should do a CSI:Miami/Hawaii Five-0 crossover! that would be awesome! :) I mean come on cbs! Steve,Danno,Kono,Chin,and Lori working with Horatio,Calleigh,Eric,Natalia,Ryan and Walter! that would be AWESOME!!!! :)

50. SarahUK says:

One more Season of Fringe would be perfect. I’m not ready to say goodbye just yet!!!