2012 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Axed? What's on the Bubble?

TV’s uneasy season is upon us. From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows will be back next fall and which will be join Lie to Me, Brothers & Sisters and Ghost Whisperer over at the MIA Network. (For the last time, MIA is fictional people; stop scouring your on-screen channel guide now.)

RELATED | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the bubble, we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet. We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so I strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. And for the record, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Getting Married, Dying, Breaking Up, Etc!

ABC
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Castle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Charlie’s Angels: Officially cancelled.
Cougar Town: Could go either way. Officially renewed… by TBS!
Dancing With the StarsA sure thing. Officially renewed!
Desperate Housewives: Officially cancelled; series finale aired May 13.
Don’t Trust That B—– in Apartment 23: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: Officially cancelled.
GCB: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s Anatomy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Last Man Standing: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Man Up: Officially cancelled.
The Middle: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
MissingToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Modern Family: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a Time: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Pan Am: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Private Practice: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Revenge: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The RiverToo early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Scandal: Too early to tell. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Shark TankA safe bet. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Work It: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.

CBS
2 Broke Girls: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Amazing Race
: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
The Big Bang Theory: Officially renewed.
Blue Bloods: A safe betOfficially renewed.
Criminal Minds: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: A safe bet. A sure thingOfficially renewed.
CSI: Miami: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
CSI: NY: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially renewed.
A Gifted Man: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Good Wife: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Hawaii Five-0: A safe betOfficially renewed.
How I Met Your Mother: Officially renewed.
How to Be a Gentleman: Officially cancelled.
The Mentalist: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
Mike & Molly: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NCIS: Los Angeles: A sure thingOfficially renewed.
NYC 22: A long shot. Officially cancelled.
Person of Interest: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Rob: Too early to tell. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Rules of Engagement: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially renewed
SurvivorOfficially renewed.
Two and a Half Men: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Undercover Boss: Could go either way. A safe betOfficially renewed.
Unforgettable: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled. Plucked from the ashes and renewed!

FOX
Alcatraz: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Allen Gregory: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
American Dad: Officially renewed.
American Idol: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Bob’s Burgers: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Bones: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Breaking In: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Cleveland Show: Officially renewed.
Family Guy: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Finder: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Fringe: A long-shot. Could go either way. A safe bet. A sure thing. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Glee: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
House: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
I Hate My Teenage Daughter: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Kitchen Nightmares: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Napoleon Dynamite: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
New Girl: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Raising Hope: A sure thing. Officially renewed
The Simpsons: Officially renewed.
Terra Nova: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Touch: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
The X Factor: Officially renewed.

NBC
30 Rock: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Are You There, Chelsea?: Too early to tell. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Awake: Could go either way. A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Bent: A long-shotOfficially cancelled.
Best Friends Forever: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Betty White’s Off Their Rockers: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Biggest Loser: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Celebrity Apprentice: A sure thing. Officially renewed
Chuck: Already canceled; two-hour series finale aired Jan. 27.
Community: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Fashion Star: Officially renewed.
Free Agents: Officially cancelled.
Grimm: A safe bet. Officially renewed
Harry’s Law: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Law & Order: SVU: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Office: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed
Parenthood: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Parks and Recreation: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
The Playboy Club: Officially cancelled.
Prime Suspect: Officially canceled.
Smash: Too early to tell. Officially renewed.
The Firm: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Up All Night: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed
The Voice (Season 3): A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Whitney: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Who Do You Think You Are?: Officially cancelled.

THE CW
90210: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
America’s Next Top Model: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Gossip Girl: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
H8R: Officially cancelled.
Hart of Dixie: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Nikita: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
One Tree Hill: Officially cancelled; series finale aired April 4.
Remodeled: A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
Ringer: Could go either way. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
The Secret Circle: A safe bet. Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
Supernatural: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Vampire Diaries: A sure thing. Officially renewed.

GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewals

1. Leslie says:

I can’t (and sort of can) believe NBC cancelled Awake. I thought it was pretty good. And I really wanted to know exactly what was going on with him having 2 “lives.” Guess I’ll never know. It was the only show I watched on that network. Though I did watch The Firm, but would’ve stopped watching even if it hadn’t been cancelled.Oh well, bye-bye NBC. I’m a little sad to see The Secret Circle go; however, it was getting a little stupid, IMHO. Sooooo freakin’ OVER THE MOON that CSI NY was renewed for a 9th season!!!! I was really worried there for a second CBS was going to cancel it. Load off my mind, lol. Glad CSI Miami was cancelled instead….haven’t watched that show in about a year/year and a half because I couldn’t follow when it would come on due to certain sports going on longer than expected. They never should’ve moved it to Sunday night. I’m a little peeved that Unforgettable was cancelled because I really got into that show, but I did say before I’d be ok with giving it up if CSI NY was renewed. Well, got my wish on that one! Also thrilled that TVD, Castle, Body of Proof, Criminal Minds, Touch, New Girl, Bones, TBBT, 2 Broke Girls, Revenge, Don’t Trust the B…In Apartment 23, HIMYM, Nikita and especially Person of Interest were all renewed!!

2. taylor says:

Missing was a really awesome show if you saw if from the beginning I dont like the Networks pretty soon there wont be any shows on anymore

• Kay McFee says:

I can’t believe they canceled Missing with Ashley Judd. It was a great show and had a great deal of potential until they got the axe then had to wrap things up so quickly for the “series finality” it just does’t make sense. When you look at some of the shows that got axed and the wons that got renewed makes me wonder big time if these TV execs even watch what is even out there. Poppie Montgomery left a CSI program to start this one (Unforgettable) which wasn’t bad but didn’t even get a second season. Then they kept moving them around week after week and would miss them because you werent aware of the new day/time slot. These reality shows are so out of control. FIrst, they aren’t reality because they are PRODUCED. They stay up and drink all night then at 5 am and begin shooting. That is always the best way to see the very best in one’s self and the Bachlorette should be called Bachlorette with slim to nothing pickin’s!! Wasn’t one year of being embarrassed and humiliated isn’t bad enough….oh, why not just go back and do it again. She’s young. Beautiful. She’ll find one when the time is right. Its not about finding love it’s about getting 15 minutes of fame because after they win or lose all we see is them invited to red carpets that people don’t know who you are. And what an example she is showing her daughter. Be weak, not strong, be desperate, not patient.

3. Tiffany says:

Seriously, I loved to watch The River, Prime Suspect, Are You There, Chelsea? and the Unforgettable. They’ve been cancelled, ughh. That’s effed up. Been waiting for new seasons for these shows. Seriously, ughh.

4. Latoya says:

these TV station is getting out of hand how are they canceling the secret circle, ringer,csi Miami,missing,the river,Alcatraz what r these people thinking omg really pissed

5. Russell says:

i may be crazy but i liked unforgettable

6. Christina says:

I hate that your taking CSI Miami off the air. I think if you go back to the way the show was in the begining you might be able to keep it going. It was getting unbelieveable and H was starting to become like a super hero. The stuff they were doing in the lab were getting silly and Candy Alexander needed to come back. You never finished their story lines. Like H’s son his mother H’s brother and wife and Eric and Callie.

7. Mike says:

Fox should get rid of their Friday nights, who wants to watch of bunch of stupid cartoons.

8. Jason B. says:

DAMNIT! Not Alcatraz! Hopefully, it gets picked up somewhere.

9. Spencer says:

Revenge, Scandal, Once Upon a Time, Parks and Recreation, DWTS, Glee, The Middle, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds, The Office all renewed = YES!!!!!!!!

10. VICTORIA ROBERTS says:

Very disapointed in CBS, Miami is the best drama ever.

11. lor says:

NOT GCB!!!! aaawww that show was funny!!!

12. Magickster says:

WOW – Big cancels here. Unforgettable and Missing were great fun to watch..Were they cancelled before they filmed the finales? I hate the cliffhanger and then the axe. Why leave fans in the air with storylines not being finished??

13. christi says:

I can’t even believe that ABC cancelled missing! It’s such a powerful new show and was my new fave! I am both sad and stunned! I hope another network picks it up!

14. Why cancel Finder, Alcatraz and Pan Am but renew 2 Broke Girls gets? Seriously? Finder was great.

15. roy kess says:

how in hell’s name can they cancel shows like harry’s law,missing,and the firm,what now more reality crap shows? I guess it’s a lot cheaper to make a reality show.

• Linda says:

I hope no more reality shows. I watched a couple of times and do not care for them. I will be finding something else to do of an evenings.

16. steve says:

cant believe they cancelled Alcatraz

17. dee says:

i love the firm. so sorry it’s cancelled..

18. Where is FLASHPOINT!!!!

19. e. says:

Very sad to hear that the Sing-Off will not be returning – even more sad that tvline decided it wasn’t worth adding to the scorecard. Only reality show I ever enjoyed.

20. leapyeargal says:

I’m so happy with some of the shows that were renewed, like Criminal Minds, NCIS, and Once Upon A Time. But cancel The Firm, The Finder, and The Sing-Off?? Really? I am still pissed about the cancellation of Human Target last year… >:( I’m really gonna miss The Finder and The Firm :'(

21. chuck's ticked says:

I hate the people at the networks who renew or cancel shows! I think they can read my mind and see what shows i like & cancel them. What really ticks me off is not giving new shows a chance. I really hate these stupid shows they call reality tv! These are no were near real life!

22. Adison says:

I hate ABC cancelling Missing. It was a great show with a strong leading female character. Stupid ABC.

23. ML says:

No, No…this has nothing to do with the ratings of decent shows; its all about ensuring they draw people to these time slots so they can start yet ANOTHER pecking reality show. This is a hand-in-pocket for those who are pushing to make ALL of us dumb and blind to whats really going on…just like the morons who follow the Jerry Springer type crap

24. Beth Bobis says:

What is wrong with CBS how do you cancel CSI:Miami without warning and the same goes for Unforgettable

25. Landon says:

I am MOST upset about The Firm NOT being renewed. This was a great show. Great cast and excellent storyline. I am shocked. NBC REALLY messed up on this one.

26. Stephanie Atkinson says:

I would really love to know exactly how and why they come to some the conclusions to cancel awesome shows half the ones they renewed arent any good the ones they canelled was almost everything i watch

27. Worm says:

I am sad that they canceled Harry’s Law, Unforgettable, and Missing I loved both shows. I wish they would cancel some of the crap they are keeping that are BORING!!!!! Give me a break I am so over The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Simpsons, Celebrity Apprentice, and Survivor.

28. Flameh says:

The Finder was an awesome show. It was one of my favourite new ones of the year. It was a good blend of mystery, drama and comedy. I’m sad to see it cancelled

29. Does anyone remember Chuck? The viewers brought it back last year…there was such a uproar about it getting cancelled that they brought it back for one more season! If enough people write to the network and raise an uproar about the Firm getting cancelled, they could change their minds….it’s worth a try!!
    I might get some people together and raise an uproar about Awake…The last episode was so on the edge of the seat, exciting…we need this show to come back next year! At first I was lost, it was a bit confusing…then it got better every week! It needs come back or have an extra show explaining the whole ending! Are his son and wife dead? And is he in a coma? Not really sure! But, I love the show!

30. Sonia says:

What the heck? Awake has been cancelled? How will I ever find out now what was really going on with Michael Britten? So unfair. And how can they cancel The Finder? It was such a fun show. Argh. I guess that’s what I get for falling in love with new shows. So freakin’ annoying.

31. maynard says:

So sad to see harry’s law go as I was prime suspect. And then to think that you keep trash like Betty White’s new program and grimm, new girl, whitney, smash, bachelor and “ette”.
    thanx for preserving body of proof, private practice, blue blood, and bones.

32. please someone pick up ringer and the river please!!!!

33. nytoyia says:

Cant believe they cancelled alcatraz dang!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Clare says:

WHAT?! GCB cancelled?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the bright side, YAY for Community!

35. HUH? says:

You’ve got to be kidding!!! Harry’s Law cancelled????

36. Andromoore says:

I would definely have liked to see the ringer and the firm come back for a second season. I can’t believe they renewed once upon a time. It is honestly one of the worst shows on air. The storyline isn’t bad, but the acting can be atrocious at points (especially from the little kid)

37. Kevin says:

The really sad thing is that unless you’re a reality show or sitcom you have very little chance to succeed on these networks. All the new drama’s my wife and I watched have been cancelled. Like Missing, Tera Nova, Finder, GCB and others. It’s to the point where we are considering passing on any new show until the second season so we don’t get disappointed.

• Mac Breck says:

FOX is essentially the American Idol/X-Factor Network, American Idol is the 500 lb. gorilla that pushes everything else around on that network. FOX has cancelled more of my favorite shows than any other.
      (Network, years, latest 1st run airdate)
      The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (FOX, 1993-1994), May 1994, 27 episodes.
      ***Strange Luck (FOX, 1995-1996) February 1996, 17 episodes.
      ***Brimstone (FOX, 1998-1999) February 1999, 13 episodes.
      ***The Tick (FOX, 2001-2002) January 2002, 9 episodes, 1 unaired.
      Titus (FOX, 2000-2002), August 2002, 54 episodes.
      Firefly (FOX, 2002) December 2002, 15 episodes, 3 unaired.
      John Doe (FOX, 2002-2003) April 2003, 21 episodes.
      ***Keen Eddie (FOX, 2003) July 2003, 13 episodes, 6 unaired by FOX.
      ***Wonderfalls (FOX, 2004) April 2004, 13 episodes, 9 unaired by FOX.
      Back to You (FOX, 2007-2008), May 2008, 17 episodes, 3 unaired.
      ***Human Target (FOX, 2010-2011, Feb. 2011, 25 episodes)
      ***The Finder (FOX, 2011-2012, May 11, 2012, 13 episodes).

*** The ones I miss the most.

FOX ruined Human Target with the addition of Indira Varma in Season 2. I’m happy that the sole positive Season 2 addition, Janet Montgomery, got a new show, “Made in Jersey” on Friday at 9PM ET on CBS *NOT* FOX. Also, The Finder alum, Mercedes Masohn is in a new show for this Fall as well. “666 Park Avenue” on Sundays unfortunately, at 10PM ET on ABC *NOT* FOX.

38. Felicia says:

Noooo not csi Miami they could at least closed it properly.if anything csi vegas is getting stupid.dont take Miami.miami ,csi ny and criminal minds are my favorite.how about we get rid of some of the reality shows.how any singing/talent shows can we have.

39. JEREMY says:

Does anybody besides me remember one of the greatest things about the 70s TV…….
    the MINISERIES?

Anybody remember ROOTS,SHOGUN,THE THORN BIRDS,WINDS OF WAR, NORTH AND SOUTH?

The miniseries were the bomb because (1) you know from the jump it would only be a limited number of episodes so (2) everyone involved would pack everything they could
    into every episode.
    The only place you could find something like that now would be cable TV,especially
    HBO. PBS TOTALLY kicks ass in this dept., too.
    Maybe the networks should try doing miniseries as opposed to regular series.
    It wouldn’t require a long-term commitment, and when it’s done,they’d have plenty of room
    for a special or documentary.

But I guess that would be too much like DOING THE RIGHT THING.

Let me gauge a response from all of you out there on this matter….RIGHT NOW!!

40. Haley says:

I hate that they didn’t conclude the shows. I figured that The Secret Circle would be renwed. The series finale left you wondering and waiting for the next season, also, it was a great show. I almost cried when I read that it was canceled… :(

41. erica says:

Seriously u people cant cancel unforgettable its just getting good at least ask other channels to take it in like ion we haven’t saw poppy montgomery since without a trace and now that we finally get to see her again u have to go and cancel the show u can count on it that I wont be watching your channel anymore unless it comes back just consider bringing it back or asking ion the show would do great on there please

42. Missy says:

I think its crap that Terra Nova’s not coming back on. Its like any family time show never makes it back. If it does’nt show boobs, & everybody screwing everybody then its not going to make it. I’m sick of these cop dramas & stupid reality shows than show everybody sceaming & running around naked.

43. kyla says:

Dang come on bring back the secret circle

44. I’d like to know more about Missing……it is true that it was sorta predictible at the beginning but near the end it got rather intense…..now with the way the season and as you have posted the series has ended we are left wondering. Is there any chance on this getting picked up by another station.

45. Sandie says:

I think American tv needs new writers. So many shows are cancelled because the formula is so similar. Have a competition where amateur writers can present an episode of their favorite show. Cmunity is great, fantastic writing. Go back to basics American writers, this Australian girl could have written glee into the record books but instead it hovered in superficial territory.

46. Tony says:

It really pissed me to read comments about ending Supernatural from “loyal fans”. Loyal fans my ass! The ratings still good. I hope the makes it to season 10!!

47. Lily says:

I am so happy that Grimm, Persons of Interest, Body of Proof, Fringe, CSI, NCIS, CSI NY, will all be back this fall. Am disappointed that CSI Miami won’t as I never got to watch it because it was always pre-empted for a ball game or something. A Gifted Man was very good so don’t see why it was cancelled. Missing with Ashley Judd was okay but I got tired of watching her running, running, running all the time. The show was 75% her running. Unforgetable was good in a pinch to watch with all those other crazy shows of stupid sitcoms and stupid reality shows. We need something to watch when those reality and stupid comedies are on. Some of us just don’t like things like Glee, Voice, Smash and stuff like that. We just switch to an off channel when there is nothing else to watch when those are on. We are retired so TV is what we like to do. Bring us some good shows to watch! Lily

48. PanAm was fantastically acted, scripted, directed….of course you’ll drop it…..only prentend reality shows for the ignorant continue and grow…..thank God I also read and write my own books….so sad that most of the voters/drivers of the world are being duped into thinking such mundane drivel is entertainment.

49. kiara says:

im mad nine lives of chloe kings bieng canceld and secret circle!!!damn!! they do not know what is good and what is not ..im actually crying!!!!!!

50. Gary D. Miller says:

the bosses at nbc are just like donald trump, no clue as to what is good and what is trash. the Firm is an excellent piece of work. One has to wonder how the person or persons, also known as the programmer, at nbc is able to hold on to his/her job. I guess the bottom line is low for them, since nbc is the celler dweller, as networks go. nbc is lower than the CW network, no offense CW. I could do abetter job and I have no experience. My 2 dogs could do a better job.