Nigel Lythgoe: So You Think You Can Dance Results Show Has Been Axed

Fox has pulled the rug out from under So You Think You Can Dance.

NIgel Lythgoe announced on Sunday that Dance‘s weekly results show has been axed.

“Fox [has] canceled the results show so I will have to change the format of #SYTYCD,” the show’s executive producer and judge shared via Twitter. “At least we have [a ninth] season at the end of May.”

“I’m certainly not mad at Fox — they have supported SYTYCD FOR 9 seasons,” Lythgoe added. “With the help of Mike Darnell [Fox's president of Alternative Entertainment]. I think we have some great new ideas.”

Despite the drastic change in the dance competition’s two-night format, Lythgoe urged fans, “Don’t worry…. We’ll do our best to find some great talent starting next week in Atlanta.”

The show’s most recent finale drew just over 6 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, down 13 percent year-over-year.

1. Joe says:

Found great ideas plus petition for fans … at least someone’s starting something about this.

• OnThe Inside says:

Forget about it, SYTYCD is cancelled after this season!

This is the first “statement” by Fox that Simon Cowell is their King of reality tv. SYTYCD will have a very shortened season and X-F 2 will begin in early to mid August and conclude around XMAS.

Cat Deeley is the new X-F host and will not be hosting SYTYCD this season.

It’s also a shot across the bow of Idol that Fox will back one major reality show and it is not SYTYCD and it is also not Idol which has become a tired format, particularly with this being Ryan’s last season before going to NBC/Today in place of Matt Lauer.

Fox is committed to X-F over both SYTYCD and Idol. This is just the first shot across the stern of them that X-F is priority number 1 and will get the vast majority of Fox backing and resources.

• @OnThe Inside says:

let me guess, you love X-Factor? Fox has for years supported two reality shows, AI and SYTYCD, both are on at different sections of the year, so they don’t collide. If X-Factor stays in the Fall, then it won’t collide with either show anyway. All Fox cares about is getting ratings, if no other show is going to bring them more viewers in that same slot, then they aren’t going to get rid of it…

• Delon says:

Cat Deeley hosting the X Factor? Yay!!!!

• Michael says:

This post is nonsense. Despite the fact that AI is aging, it’s ratings have never been as low as they were for X-Factor. If that tired show manages to sustain it’s meagre downward trends again this year, AI will still be FOX’s flagship show. The X-Factor was extremely disappointing for the network. They expected a much larger rating for the prize demo as well as about 5 or so million more viewers. SYTYCD has been hemorraging viewers for the past 3 seasons. They are lucky to have even gotten a 9th season.

• Melissa says:

If Howard Stern really is going to be a judge on X-Factor, you can be sure ratings are going to go through the roof. I didn’t watch it this year, but will definitely be interested in what Howard has to say in the restricted format of network televsion.

I love SYTYCD, but they over did it with two seasons per year…people just got burned out. Obviously Fox has decided that the less is more model might just do the trick. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind all these reality shows just being one night…10-15 minutes at the beginning of a 2 hour program for results, and then on with the show. As it is these things are bloated and could stand to lose the 15 minutes of BS. I think it’s a good move.

• Joe says:

Uh, Howard Stern has nothing to do with X Factor. He’s going to America’s Got Talent.

Most other results shows are bloated. This one is not. Things happen on the Results show that still affects the results, unlike some other shows. And we get stellar and memorable and EMMY AWARD WINNING group performances. Can’t say much for other results shows.

• Judit says:

Howard Stern will be a replacement of Piers Morgan in America Got Talent. I also loved SYTYCD but you are right:the last 2 shows casting was sick, the show was long,boring,nerve racking.I’m not sure now I’ll watching or not the next “precious” show.

• Dottie6554 says:

I have said for years that 2 seasons per year for ANY ‘TALENT’ SHOW is overkill. I LOVE SYTYCD and loved watching it twice a year…..but I saw the 2nd show of the season was never as strong as the first. Perhaps they can negotiate that with Fox.

It’s a good show and showcases a HUGE array of talent. If crap like AI and XF can survive, then definitely SYTYCD should. There is room for one season of everything.

• Joe says:

I don’t think it’s worthless at all and hopefully more people don’t either. At least someone is doing something other than spouting nonsense like you are. As others have pointed out, SYTYCD does not conflict with AI or The X Factor. If SYTYCD aired in Fall or Winter, then you have a point, but it doesn’t. It’s in the summer and its one of the few original programs Fox runs in the summertime. Weirder things have happened and I for one am happy with the petition and those who have signed it so far. What’s the worse that can happen? Fox doesn’t listen to it and we’re at the same place we are now. The best that can happen? We get a results show back.

• Mary Maerz says:

What is going on? My friends and I have been waiting patiently for SYTYCD 9 for months.
        In our opinion there are now too many “talent contests” and SYTYCD is a nice change from these fixed reality contests. When Adam Lambert didn’t win Idol, it just proved the credibility of Idol to me and his new show is worse.

• Jessica Mathies says:

so, SYTYCD has been losing viewers for the last three seasons and now they are losing their results show? hmmm…i wonder what the problem is…? wait, i know! three years ago they not only changed their format, but they also changed their stage, and lost their biggest draw, mia michaels! if SYTYCD producers want to bring viewers back, along with advertisers, go back to what worked: nigel, mary, and rotating 3rd judge (choreographer), no more All Stars, stick with the original stage, and bring Mia back – no matter how much you have to pay her.

signed,
      a viewer, who USED to watch the show (it was my favorite show on TV, until they changed with something that wasn’t broken)

• JennyJen says:

I agree – I really disliked the all-star portion. I love the all-stars, don’t get me wrong. They were fabulous and wonderful in their own seasons. But the whole draw to me was a hip-hop dancer partnered with a ballet dancer, dancing ballroom…everyone was out of their element and that made it much more interesting than having an all-star who could pull their partner through a program. Mia was great too, though her work was starting to get a little repetitive in my eyes. But I know she had more in her, as she had quite a few brilliant moments…

• Debbie Owens says:

This is still my favorite show, but I have to admit I liked the smaller, more intimate stage setting better. The talent is incredible and I just want to watch them dance!

• Janelle says:

Seriously … this bites!!! SYTYCD is the only reality show I look forward to every season … Idol has run it’s course (give it up already!!) As XFactor … allowing Simon to “RUN” things, have you NO balls??? WTF … I really think I am going to give up on TV altogether … this is totally ridiculous!!! The good stuff goes, while the CRAP stays … who is making these crappy decisions? GET A CLUE PEOPLE!!!!

• Pat says:

I love So You Think You Can Dance – discovered it in Season 2. If it’s the #1 show in it’s time slot
      why is it being punished. Why doesn’t ET or E promote on their shows. It’s so much better
      than Dancing With The Stars it isn’t even funny. Aren’t there more people out there that want
      to see people with genuine talent, working hard and bringing JOY to so many?

2. Daveedt says:

YAWN…..

• CJ says:

The results shows have been almost entirely padding for all of the “talent reality” shows; they certainly shouldn’t ever be a whole hour. The problem with that is that other shows don’t pair up well with half-hour results shows (or 90-minute results shows, when they’ve done them). If they hold the announcement of the eliminated contestant until the beginning of the following week’s show, there’s a danger of it being spoiled, plus that takes away from the following performances. If they announce the eliminatee through other media (online, twitter, or on another show), it doesn’t do much to promote the performance shows.

3. seriously says:

I hate Fox. -_____-

4. Larry says:

While the results show for SYTYCD was a total waste of time, I can’t believe Fox would cancel this and yet let American Idol’s results show still run FOR AN HOUR EVERY WEEK when about five minutes of the show was actually about the contestants!!

• Annie says:

American Idol’s result’s show consistently draws 20 million viewers or more, and is always the second most watched non sports show of the year, right behind American Idols performance show. To break it down for you, American Idol’s results show makes Fox money, while So You Think You Can Dance’s doesn’t.

• Liana in San Diego says:

Just goes to show once again that stupidity and money win every time. The contestants on AI are forgotten within months of winning because they have absolutely no talent. In all the years, less than a handful of the singers that won ever went on to lucrative and important careers. The tweens would rather fawn over wanna-be’s than pay attention to the the real talent of the dancers.

What a waste. I stopped watching AI years ago when it became a joke. At least with SYTYCD the dancers that weren’t any good went home early enough so that who was left were fabulous to watch.

Yet again the idiots decide what we’ll watch on tv.

• Eurydice says:

Well, it’s not like the winners of SYTYCD have become household names. They’re competing in an art form that doesn’t make serious money for anybody, on a show that practically nobody watches, for the chance to be in a Gatorade commercial – a product that’s marketed to people who couldn’t care less about dance.

• fiona says:

compared to most singers on reality shows however dancing is their careers and being on sytycd ultimately helps all the finalists land jobs and have stability in their lives. While they aren’t household names, they catch the attention of many singers who need backup dancers (ie mark from s4 who is now one of lady gaga’s principal dancers), or dance companies who fall in love with their dance. And many become popular in their own rights in their own circles (ie dtrix, hok, all the members of quest crew, most who started with sytycd. Alex Wong!)And perhaps its not watched as much as AI but it is the most viewed reality show in the summer and is quite popular.

• SallyinChicago says:

Did you read the narrative — the dancers KNOW they’re not going to be famous, they do it for the love of dance.

• sharie says:

they do it for the love of dance,,,very few dancers are going to be household names,,,,but the chance to watch these awesome athletes, and artists who do what they do out of pure joy,whom i would never get to see otherwise, as i do not live in a place where this is the norm, is pure joy…….

• Christina says:

American Idol’s results show gets 20 million viewers, SYTYCD barely gets over 5 million viewers. Therefore American Idol’s results show remains an hour.

• Ari says:

Hopefully AI Results will be next. Personally I don’t think any results show is needed! Show them at the end of the episode or the start of the next episode or heaven forbid post them online. Do you really need an hour just to watch one person be happy and another cry? No.

5. Volcfom says:

This is the only results show that I didn’t feel the need to fast forward through the majority of the hour. I always enjoyed the guest dancers they showcased, and the dance for your life routines. Bummer…

• Tjj50 says:

Exactly!

• MKat says:

I could not agree more – this is the only results show that I don’t skip to the last 2 minutes of the show or just delete it then read about it the next day. How will people be able to vote? Why on earth would they do this – like they have SO MUCH original programming in the summer? This is one of my favorite summer shows.

• V says:

Agreed as well – I actually often enjoyed the guest performances (Cedar Lake, LXD, Desmond Richardson, showcasing other interesting performances/well-known dancers/well-done genres of dance…) as well as the “dance for your life” solos. I would argue the only results show worth watching.

• ladyhelix says:

And in addition to “dance for your life”, and Guest dancers & music (often better than Idols) – I also really love the group routines. I was watching wade Robson’s “museum piece” just last night on youtube – these give you such a different perspective on the contestants – and the choreographers!!

I understand it’s all about the numbers, but I don’t want to live in a world where more people watch Jersey Shore then SYTYCD. Rats – guess I have to!

• Michael says:

I agree completely but the results show has had a very poor audience for the past 3 seasons. It will always come down to money for the networks…they’d rather air a rerun of that crazy-ass abusive Chef than pay for a results show.

• Lana says:

SYTYCD is my favorite competition show and I would rather lose AI or XF results show. I am really bummed, where is the petition?

• elr says:

That is exactly how I feel about it. All the other Reality TV results shows are nothing but 99% padding and 1% necessary information. I am very bummed by this news….

6. Tjj50 says:

This is a competition show! They all have results shows. Good grief we’re going into the 9th season! Why change it now? What crap are they gonna put on Thursday night to replace it?

• ladyhelix says:

This is the network that canceled FIREFLY half way through the first season. Nothing they do surprises me (it makes me crazy – but I no longer expect it to make sense).

7. Jenny says:

All of these competition shows with results shows need to be fixed, but I don’t know how you eliminate the results show. Do you have all the contestants rehearse for the next performance show and they find out at the beginning of the performance show if they are moving on. Seems a bit unfair to the contestants.

But results shows like DWTS, AI and X-Factor need to be cut down to 30 minutes top. They spend too much time will filler content and guest performers that nobody cares. I usually just wait until the results are posted on line and only watch a results show if something interesting happened.

• David says:

Nope. DWTS Results shows are great. They really put a lot of effort into making the whole hour worthwhile. I’m never bored with them.

8. Bob says:

I don’t see the logic behind this or how they can effectively execute it. If the results show is eliminated, I’d like to see them have phone voting for 30 minutes and then announce the winner at the end of the show that follows SYTYCD that night but that’s usually local news. Of all the talent shows out there, SYTYCD had the best results show. Granted, the bar for results show is set ridiculously low but still. American Idol results show is the one that should really get the heave ho. That’s truly a waste of an hour.

• AngieD says:

you’re forgetting that there’s a time delay betw east and west coast of about 2 hrs (show airs 8pm est and 7pm pst) So, they’d have to wait for the west coast to finish voting before any results would be revealed.

9. Christina says:

SYTYCD is one step away from cancellation. I liked this show in its earlier seasons but the last few have gotten a bit ridiculous. The dances have way too much meaning behind them and need to be explained to death now instead of just focusing on dancing. Last season it was barely staying above 5 million in the ratings. The show has been dying ever since they did a fall season, and its been cancelled in every other country its been to. It needs a break. Maybe in a few years people will be excited about it again, but right now its DOA.

• Eli says:

Geez Christina, could you at least do your research before you start making stupid statements like that?

SYTYCD is still going strong in Holland/Belgium for one thing, in fact it is so succesful we even got another dance competition show spin-off.

10. Karrie says:

Now can they please do something about American Idol’s results show?

11. Jinxy says:

I think SYTYCD is one of the best reality shows on TV. These kids know they aren’t going to get famous – they compete for the love of dance. The results shows showcase some new and upcoming singers as well as dancers unknown outside very small circles. Remember Lady Gaga? The wheelchair dance? I’m not sure how you have a competition show without showing the results….well, you can, but it will seem even more contrived than it already does.

12. Rebecca Parker says:

This makes NO sense to me. It’s a summer show – what the heck else do they have to put on? At least cut it down to a half hour. Geez.

One of the few reality results show that actually has content and yet it’s cut. Ridiculous.

13. Carrie says:

So, they’re going to have to tack the results on at the very end? Doesn’t make much sense. The judges are supposed to have time to deliberate. Therefore, the rest of the show is going to be rushed. The only good thing about this is not having to watch them ‘dance for their lives’ every week and sweat it out waiting for Nigel to tell them who’s going home. Why couldn’t they just cut the results show down to half an hour?

• SallyinChicago says:

Actually, these 2-hour results shows (AI, XF) are ridiculous. You’re not crowning a King or Queen, you’re telling American who won. It shouldn’t take 2 hours and a bunch of “has been” singers. Even Dancing with the STARS has gotten ridiculous with the time.

I agree the results show should be 1/2 hour long. That’s it.

14. AT40 Fan says:

So tired of all of the dance shows. They should all be cancelled. The last season of “Dancing with the Stars”, should have been called “Dancing with 5th string stars”. They certainly are running out of movie or TV stars for that show. They seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Have you ever actually watched So You Think You Can Dance? The artistry and talent is on a whole other level than the other “dance shows” – it should not at all be lumped in with Dwt”S”.

• James says:

Watching famous people attempt ballroom is way more watchable than watching closeted men dance with girls with chunky legs.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Well your ignorance just shows why you have an ignorant opinion.

• Joe says:

Sometimes it’s not even worth arguing with people like this, Rebecca. I’m totally with you. SYTYCD and DWTS should never be in the same sentence. One show’s about real talent, the other about gimmicks. What I really don’t understand about all of this is the fact that it’s a summer reality show. There isn’t THAT much more Fox could air. It just doesn’t make sense…I hope those people working with the petition get enough signatures and can show Fox they’re dumb for making this move.

They’ve got my signature.

• G-Mom says:

I agree with Joe completely! The dancers and choreographers are far superior on SYTYCD!! Of course, some of the pros on DWTS are choreographers on SYTYCD, but not many. A half hour results show would be better than none! SYTYCD is my favorite reality show even though I’m not a dancer. It is wonderful to be able to see great dancing because there are no shows where dancing like that is featured. I miss seeing the dancers after the show is over because they become “backup” dancers on TV or for people like Lady Gaga (or unfortunately, X-Factor). I do think AI’s contestants can be more successful because of the nature of their talent. Fox, please don’t take this show away from us fans!

• sharie says:

obviously you didnt see melanie dance last season…

15. Liz says:

I have no idea how they’ll deal with this. If anything, I think people wanted the competition show trimmed down, not the results show. And I know it didn’t get the best ratings, but shouldn’t Fox be a little more lenient considering it’s on during the summer when people aren’t always sitting around/on vacation?

I’m prepared for the announcement that this will be the last season. Which stinks because SYTYCD is one of my favorite reality shows

16. Oh no! says:

There’s going to be one less hour of reality TV on pretty soon. How will we go on?

17. TrulyRoxie says:

I’m really disappointed to hear this. I loved both shows. The performance show for the truly great talent of the performers, and the results show for the special guest performers and the dance for your life of the bottom dancers. American Idol doesn’t need a whole hour for their results show, but SYTYCD really needs a results show, period!

Fox has made some boneheaded moves in it’s time, and I would put this one up there with the worst!

18. Guy says:

Its what Australia’s Reality TV Shows have been doing for years. While American’s have results shows for Talent and DWTS, Australia’s versions of DWTS and Australia’s Got Talent in particular only have 1 show a week with the results being at the beginning of Talent and end of Dancing. I think there is too many results shows on TV. Its a no brainer that with SYTYCD that the results be at the beginning or the end of the show depending on how Nigel wants to go about it.

19. connie says:

I love SYTYCD! But I think it needs some tweaking……Like letting us get to know the dancers better and having permanent judges. Nigel and Mary are great but the guest celebrity judges don’t work. I don’t value their opinion. I think the short-haired blonde (sorry, I can’t think of her name right now) modern dance choreographer should be on the panel. Three is enough.

20. Thi says:

WHY? I honestly don’t get the logic behind this. SYTYCD is on during the summer, so they don’t even have that much programming. Cutting short the results for Idol would make sense (if they actually did it) because their slate is so full for the winter. Just doesn’t make sense at all. Remember how confusing it was with no results show in the first season or the 6th season that aired in the fall??
    Also, what’s going to happen to the group performances? Dance for your life? The amazing performances from the dance world?

21. Mooshki says:

If they were going to interfere, they should’ve forced the show to go back to the old stage. That’s why the ratings are falling – the intimacy of the earlier seasons is gone.

22. Jermaine M. says:

I think the voting should be done like ABDC. They find out the following week. They perform as planed then at the end of the show they anounce the bottom 3 they then would have to dance fot there lives. This would make it more exciting

23. BonesFringeFan says:

So long as Fox doesn’t cancel Bones or Fringe, they can do whatever the hell they want in my book!

24. Idol fan says:

Why does everyone always have to hate on Idol all the time? I get it you’re mad or upset about your show but the fact is Idol still brings the ratings. Its just like X factor if Simon doesn’t change things that show will not last after season 2 because imo it sucked… Idol is still great no matter what happens to the contestants.

• G-Mom says:

I don’t hate AI. I really like it, but SYTYCD is my favorite since the last 3 or 4 years. I watched a few X-Factor shows (the results shows more because there was nothing else to watch at that time) and they were awful!! It was WAY over the top. The Sing-Off was absolutely awesome! Acapella (and the winners, Pentatonix) ROCKS!! Check them out on YouTube. The judges were much better/knowledgeable than the AI judges.

25. Hmm says:

Remember, Fox haters — Fox may have canceled some of your favorite shows (like Firefly), but who else would have put them on the air in the first place? Fox may have only given you 1 season of Firefly, but without them, you wouldn’t even HAVE that 1 season, so stop yer bitchin’.

26. Gil King says:

The drastic drop in SYTYCD viewership is directly due to the insistance of Lythgoe and the other castmembes to continuously push the envelop regarding “gay acceptance issues” being forced down our throats. (no pun intended)
    If they stuck to dancing instead of flaming gay propaganda, there would be far more viewers to appreciate the really talented performances.

Social PC policy sucks, the dancing does not!

• Joe says:

Uh, what? There were like… two moments where anyone mentioned their sexuality in all of SYTYCD in the last few years, and it was with he same-sex ballroom dancing couple scandal where Nigel’s comments to them sounded, apparently, homophobic. I don’t really see what you’re talking about, because beyond that there hasn’t been much reference to anyone’s sexuality… at all. There have been a lot of past male contestants who are obviously gay, but they never, ever, ever reference it. And to be quite honest, and I know this won’t sound very PC, but I can’t imagine there are many people fond of dance that would be revolted or surprised by a gay male dancer on their favourite televised dance competition.

• tarc says:

Wow, stupidity *and* bigotry all in one post.

• pg says:

and your comment just goes to show that you’re talking about a show you’ve never watched in your life. come back when you actually know what you’re talking about, ok?

27. Kaibosh says:

Well its a start. Thank the heavens for small miracles. Now hopefully Survivor, Idol and the rest of the prime time sucking trash can follow. Lets hear it for quality scripted programming hopefully making a comeback after a decade of “reality” trash.

• Joe says:

What exactly is wrong with Survivor, SYTYCD, or American Idol? I’ve never understood the bandwagon that all reality TV = mindless garbage. In my opinion, it’s all “mindless garbage”. It’s TV. Nothing is exactly more legitimate than anything else. Reality TV will likely always be popular because people enjoy the drama that it brings, and it’s nice to root for real people (and yeah, they’re real people, despite the popular assumption that it’s ALL scripted). That being said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. If you already do that, then why does it bother you that it’s on? It’s like not liking the taste of cheese and then complaining to someone and judging them because they do.

• Kaibosh says:

In no particular order: Dollhouse, Life, Dirty Sexy Money, The Black Donellys, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Pushing Daisies, The Chicago Code, Detroit 187, Life on Mars, The Event, Friday Night Lights, The Good Guys, Human Target, Better Off Ted, Eastwick, Flash Forward, The Gates, Eli Stone, Kings, The Unusuals, Journyman, Moonlight….. I could go on. All of these series had potential and some were extraordinary in their writing and production. All had modest to decent ratings and all were canceled to make room for some form or reality trash or another. You say that some people like the “drama” that comes with reality programming? Ridiculous! There is no drama in seeing the same thing over and over again. Let me guess: next years Survivor will be in a tropical location. And there will be teams. And there will be back stabbing. Yeah really dramatic. Not all scripted programming is perfect. But it is story telling. You choose to eat fast food over a home cooked meal and that makes you ignorant and lazy.

• Meg says:

More than half of those shows don’t even exist on FOX. Your argument is either invalid or you just have poor taste.

• Kaibosh says:

You’re not very bright are you? Read the whole string of comments again and you’ll see that FOX alone has nothing to do with this discussion.

28. Mandy says:

Let’s face it, they seriously need 5 mins, the rest is just filler. Sometimes the fuller is good, but usually it sucks. But not sure how it will work out.

• Joe says:

I can kinda agree with this. The Canadian results show was only 30 minutes; group routine, they said the bottom three, they danced for their lives, someone was booted. Simple. I think it would be weird going to that format though after 9 seasons of SYTYCDUS, especially because the guest performances are rather entertaining. Sometimes.

• ladyhelix says:

How do you get 6 “dance for your life” solos, intelligent critical recaps, and a world class group number in 5 minutes? I’m really gonna miss it.

I wouldn’t miss anything if they canceled the IDOL results show – their guest stars are seldom as interesting as SYTYCD, and their group numbers and judges comments are painful at best. They wouldn’t even need the whole 5 minutes.

29. unicornwasp says:

that blows. they should follow the lead of the now cancelled sytycd canada and have a half hour results show. imagine, a results show that is nothing but RESULTS.

30. mdaily says:

I will certainly miss the group routines, many of which won or were nominated for Emmys. I hope that Fox reconsiders this decision. As some suggested, perhaps go to a half hour format at the very least. I won’t miss the celebrity invites, but I do think that a results show is necessary in some format, and always enjoyed the group routines. And I second whoever suggested eliminating the celebrity judges. What a colossal waste that was! Bring back the fixed number of judges who know about dance and gave constructive criticism instead of idiotic comments like, “Shut the door,” which was of no help to any of the dancers competing. Oh, and keep the choreographers. Most of them are just amazing! I am not a reality show watcher, but I made an exception for this show. The dancers and choreographing just blow me away.

• ladyhelix says:

You bring up an interesting point – most of the people I know who watch SYTYCD don’t watch a lot (if any) other reality shows. It’s really a different animal.

31. Winnie says:

I hope they do not eventually cancel SYTYCD because I really like the talent that comes from this show more than American Idol. I would think that If Fo x wholeheartedly would like to back up XFactor then they should cancel American Idol. frankly I am tired of it. Last season was all about a genre I Dont like. I am so tired of Randy Jackson and his yo dawg attitude…

32. Elizabeth says:

Oh goodie! Does that mean another hour of Gordon Ramsey yelling at people?

Its summer programming – its not a hot bed of ratings.

33. Renee says:

I think EVERY results show on TV should be cancelled and replaced by a quality scripted show. Since most likely Fox has another reality show they want to air, this is awful.

34. Kim says:

Let’s just remember that the first season didn’t have a separate results show. Going to how they did it back then, judges would pick the bottom three couples and the results would be revealed on the next show. I don’t think it is such a big deal, but SYTYCD does deserve to be as grand as Idol (bigger in fact).

35. Goku says:

In Polish version we have 1 show/week with results after the commercials.

• ladyhelix says:

Season 6 had one show a week for the first 2-3 weeks (because of the World Series). The judges voted and sent 2 people home immediately after the dancing in a single show. I didn’t mind S6 because the judging seemed fair – but a lot of people disliked not having a voice.

36. Ella says:

i stopped watching sytycd several seasons ago. you can easily see who the favorites are and i have predicted who the winners would be ever since the season before twitch. for the same reasons, i stopped watching dancing with the stars. the judges are so rude and mean that it takes all the fun out of watching. so i’m kinda glad idol and this show will be gone.

37. AngieD says:

I think they should try making the results show just 30 minutes. DTWS’s results show is mostly fluff and serves as a spotlight for Macy’s and 1 or 2 musical acts. It’s not about the dancers – even during the group pro routines, the cameras cut to the musical guests. SYTYCD gave you a fabulous group performance, a professional routine that was sometimes in an genre that’s not widely viewed in the US and brief performances by the bottom 6 dancers and 1 musical performance. They could certainly reduce it down tp 1/2 an hr by cutting down the reveal of the bottom 3 and the musical performance.

38. Ray says:

Tired of Cat Deeley, really tired of Mary what’s her name, who really gets on my nerve with her screaming and “tears”. Glad that SYTYCD won’t be taking up two nights, way too much. As far as X and Idol, I think they’re are pre-determined anyway so don’t watch them anymore.

• Joe says:

Way to prove you don’t know much. Cat Deeley is WAY more personal and real than any other reality TV host. Oldies like Jeff Probst and just overdone. If you don’t like Cat or Mary or the show, why are you watching? It’s summertime, go outside or something.

39. Pablum for the Masses says:

SYTYCD has got to be one of the worst and dumbest shows on television!

The judges usually sound like morons whenever they critique the dancers. Using terms like ‘your dancing is so organic’ or ‘you were dancing in the moment’.
    I feel like vomiting whenever I hear Mary Murphy’s awful voice
    with all the unnecessary screaming she does.
    Cat Deeley looks ridiculous in those high heels she wears plus the fact that she always looks sunburnt.

Do us all a favor and cancel this piece of crap!

• Joe says:

See above reply. The judges on this show, including Exec Producer Nigel Lythgoe, actually know what the flip they are talking about, unlike Paula, Nicole and “epic” man LA Reid. You don’t like it, don’t watch.

• sharie says:

kudo,s to you for your reply…….these kids are awesome,,,the way they support each other..you dont get that on other competition shows

40. Sandra says:

Thank you Joe for your opinion. I agree wholeheartedly!!

41. Pablum for the Masses says:

SYTYCD is also plagued with ridiculous choreography.

Joe, why don’t you take some of your own advice.
    Turn off your TV and go outside!

• Tarc says:

And why would anyone want to work all day, hit the gym, and then have to ‘go outside’ all evening. Sorry, no. And you do realize that it’s pitch black by 4:30PM here in December with temperatures in the teens (or lower)?

• Pablum for the Masses says:

Thanks for the update! Can you tell me what the weathers going
        to be like on Saturday? I’m going hiking and I’m wondering if I should
        bring a heavier jacket. Thanks!

42. Pablum for the Masses says:

Awesome post, Kaibosh!

43. Zoe says:

So why aren!t they just cancelling the whole show…?

44. rodg12 says:

Nigel only has himself to blame. Introducing the ‘All-stars’ concept torpedoed this show.

45. B.W. says:

the rumor around the industry is the FOX Network is going through a downsizing phase, they are firing people in marketing and sales and trimming down costs across the board. SYTYCD has fans, is a great show, but is not making enough money. They will probably air New Girl and Glee re runs all summer which cost nothing. They always tell the fans if you want to save your favorite rad show, watch it LIVE not on your dvr. Other than that the big wigs and the bean counters will be telling us what’s on and what’s going bye bye.

46. Tony says:

God,bring back Lauren Sánchez anytime.XFactor sucks.

47. linda says:

Yes, let’s keep all the trashy shows and get rid of the ones that actually have some real talent on them. TV is getting more and more unwatchable. Nothing but garbage!!

48. Tawny Cat says:

I love SYTYCD and am sorry to hear of the results show being axed. I have never been a Cat Deeley fan–I dislike the way she paws over all the contestants with her death-grip body hugs. That said, I like all the judges and the dancers are sooooo much better than those on DWTS. Sometimes I think it’s simply a matter of what night and time they schedule a show. I just hope Nygel and the others will come up with a way to increase viewership of this fantastic show.

49. Virginia Ryan says:

I can’t believe Fox is cancelling SYTYCD! This is a show that my husband and I both enjoyed. There’s no obnoxious Howard Stern for one thing. This is a summer show to look forward to and then a tour at the end of the season that I have gone to two (2) years in a row. I really enjoyed a show that the judges weren’t rude to the contestants, but supportive of their efforts. Come on Fox, wise up!

50. Teresa Brown says:

SYTYCD is a great show.I am sorry you decided to axe it. FOX I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT SINCE YOU AXED MY FAVORITE SHOW I WILL SACRIFICE THE OTHER FOX SHOWS THAT I WATCH. MY PROMISE TO YOU IS THIS…. THE LAST SYTYCD SHOW WILL BE THE LAST FOX SHOW THAT I WILL EVER WATCH!