Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres Calendar

There was a time, believe it or not, when the January TV slate meant simply more of the same old same old. But for a while now, pretty much ever since a little show called 24 decided to unspool its latest breakneck day in the new year, the heart of winter has signaled a near-avalanche of fresh TV goodness.

By popular demand, TVLine presents this first pass at a handy calendar of January 2012′s biggest premieres, including the latest batches of American Idol, Justified, Pretty Little Liars and White Collar, the farewell run of One Tree Hill, and the debuts of newbies such as J.J. Abrams’ Alcatraz.

Season and series premieres are denoted in BOLD, and we’ve also included finales, specials and many — though by no means all — return dates for current shows that are on or entering holiday hiatus. (You can read more about the networks’ midseason schedules at these links: Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, The CW.) Click the thumbnail calendar below, and save the dates!

Preemptive P.S. My calendar-making skills are not infallible, so if you spot something that is missing, drop a polite note in Comments and I will (eventually) make updates as warranted.

P.S. No. 2: The tinted box in the lower right corner offers a sneak peek at some key February 2012 dates. There’s also stuff in March (and entirely tragically “TBA” matters such as Cougar Town and Community), but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Comments (147)

• I think Alcatraz is actually on FOX instead of NBC, good calendar…

Comment by misc – December 14, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fixed!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta save this calendar! Also, Castle returns on the 9th. (not included on the calendar)

Comment by Brittany – December 14, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looking forward to Downton Abbey, White Collar, Am. Idol, and the return of OUAT.

Comment by Templar – December 14, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, where’s my favorite show, Castle? ;)

Comment by Sarah J. – December 14, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Coming back on the 9th.

Now where are Unforgettable, Body Of Proof and Mentalist?

Comment by Anna – December 14, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s my question.

Comment by Kvivik – December 14, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unforgettable – 1/3/12 (Tu.) at 10:00 PM
        Body of Proof – 1/3/12 (Tu.) at 10:00 PM
        The Mentalist still has a new episode this Thursday, not off the air yet.

Comment by David – December 15, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^^He’s added all of those shows onto the calendar now.
          Thanks Matt! :D
          Can’t wait for Castle to come back. Read the third book over Christmas holidays, and now I’m dying for some Fillion on my screen.

Comment by CastleBuffySVU – January 2, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Together we can beat TBA!

Comment by Selena – December 14, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re quick-witted, Selena. :) That was a great comment! Loved it!

Comment by Amber – December 14, 2011 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • your comment is streets ahead

Comment by Amy – January 1, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prayer circle for Community and Cougar Town.

Comment by RichieOnTV – December 14, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Break out Big Carl and drink until they return.

Comment by PJM – December 14, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being Human premieres on January 16, 2012. Not January 17, 2012.

Comment by Bfleet – December 14, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is Being… fixed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle? 10pm monday the 9th?

Comment by suds – December 14, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Desperate Housewives and Body of Proof?

Comment by Raquel – December 14, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and CSI (Vegas) too?

Comment by Sarah J. – December 14, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mob Wives is back on January 1, double check time but I think it’s on at 8pm

Comment by nina – December 14, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah… I probably won’t be including that one. Tough decisions!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt: Being Human will be back on Syfy on January 16 at 9 PM followed by the S1 US debut of the Canadian show Lost Girl at 10 PM. And, last I heard Castle is supposed to be back on January 9 at 10 PM.

Comment by Rueben – December 14, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ABC comedies return on Jan 4th.

Desperate Housewives and Pan Am return on Jan 8th.

Winter Wipeout premieres on Jan 5th.

Comment by chris – December 14, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched One Tree Hill since it first came on when I was a freshman in high school! It feels so weird for me that it’s ending. But I’m excited for The Game and Grey’s to return.

Comment by Amber – December 14, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You didn’t include Castle. New episode is back on Jan 9th.

Comment by Anja – December 14, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news on there – White Collar on January 17 :-)

Comment by CJ – December 14, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot Southland return on January 17th!

Comment by Paige – December 14, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Added!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two Broke Girls???

Comment by Michelle – December 14, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Merlin

Comment by Lisa – December 14, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, me too! If only it didn’t conflict with Supernatural…

Comment by Marz – December 14, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Supernatural is on at 9pm on Fridays. Merlin is on at 10pm, so it won’t conflict with Supernatural.

Comment by Steven – December 14, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • According to the pic, Supernatural and Merlin are on at the same time.

Comment by Elle – December 16, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Unforgettable? :(

Comment by Sarah – December 14, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS has not yet fulfilled our request for a list of January return dates, so I can only include the ones I have heard of here and there. Besides, this calendar is primarily about NEW SEASONS/SERIES.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That means nothing about The Big Bang either…..

Comment by Julie – December 14, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods?

Comment by Debbie – December 14, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does ”The Good Wife” return?

Glad for One Tree Hill! I grew up with it. Will be hard to say goodbye!

Comment by Ingmar – December 14, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • January 8th seems pretty full. But don’t forget Downton Abbey at 9pm!!!

Comment by Danielle – December 14, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will include DOWNTON in the Thursday morning update.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife comes back on the 15th!

Comment by Christine – December 14, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like I’ll have a DVR conflict with House, The Voice, and 2 Broke Girls. Thank goodness for online viewing!

Comment by Volcfom – December 14, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know when Episodes with Matt LeBlanc is coming back? I know it got renewed for a second season, but I can’t find any information about it. A show with the name “episodes” is understandably difficult to google.

Comment by Mike – December 14, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just checked for ya, and there is no timetable yet.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 14, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suburgatory?

Comment by ~T~ – December 14, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC’s “Winter Wipeout” is back on January 5, 2012.

Comment by Brandon – December 14, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Portlandia going to air on Mondays now? The IFC website says it is premiering Friday 1/6 at 10pm, it looks like Monday could be a repeat, but I’m not sure.

Also, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is premiering right after it at 10:30 PM on Friday 1/6.

Comment by Nicole – December 14, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking for Blue Bloods and Criminal Minds too!

Comment by Kate – December 14, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe the the new USA series Common Law premiers on Jan 26th @ 10

Comment by EdTV – December 14, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad The Lying Game was moved to 9PM. That way there’s no debate about whether to watch it or How I Met Your Mother first in my household. Also excited for Vampire Diaries, and Community, whenever it comes back. :( I wish they could open up a slot for it somewhere, or even alternate it every-other-week with another show. Parks and Rec gets similar ratings, I could see a trade-off working. And then there’d always be new episodes!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – December 14, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are the ABC Wednesday night comedies not coming back on the 4th along w/Revenge?

Comment by George – December 14, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hate the words (series finale) next to Chuck

Comment by lei – December 14, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It’s depressing as hell. :-(

Comment by PJM – December 14, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you forgot Modern Family

Comment by Camilla – December 14, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about criminal minds, big bang theory, and Grimm?

Comment by Leonardo Marquez – December 14, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once will only be back for 2 episodes, right? Any idea on when episodes 10 to 22 will be airing?

Comment by Julie – December 14, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for the Ab Fab shoutout!

Comment by SA – December 14, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

ABC 9-11p
    CBS 8-9p; 10-11p
    NBC 8-11p

Sun -
    Everything Except Fox and ABC’s Once Upon a Time

Comment by Hannah – December 14, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news on the new series AWAKE? Maybe I missed it, but didn’t see it when I scanned the grid.

Comment by justjack – December 14, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Desperate Housewives and Pan Am date?

Comment by I Lohr – December 14, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could be wrong, but I don’t think Pan Am got picked up for the full season. It might be unofficially canceled at this point? Like I said, I could be wrong, I think I read that somewhere.

Comment by Amber – December 14, 2011 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does Good Christian Belles premiere?

Comment by Stacy – December 14, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • March 4th I think (it’s taking a spot on ABC Sunday).

Comment by Danielle H – December 14, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds?

Comment by Harriet – December 14, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t like that Gossip Girl and Hart of Dixie are on opposite Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game. I love all four shows, this isn’t fair.

Comment by Liz – December 14, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ABC comedies all return the same night as Revenge I believe, but aren’t listed, nor are the other two shows from their Sunday lineup which reappear the same day as Once Upon a Time. Great calendar though. Thanks.

Comment by Jake L – December 14, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about:
    -The Mentalist (CBS)
    -Body of Proof (ABC)
    -Unforgettable (CBS)
    -Fairly Legal (USA)
    -Blue Bloods (CBS)
    -A Giften Man (CBS)
    -Hawaii Five-O (CBS)

Comment by Rach – December 14, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Body of Proof comes back Jan. 3rd., 2 Broke Girls on Jan. 9th.

Comment by Auston – December 14, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is Smash premiering?

Comment by Liv – December 14, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Monday after the Super Bowl. :)

Comment by Toni – December 14, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgot CSI on Wednesdays on CBS!

Comment by JV – December 14, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on when Mad Men will premiere?

Comment by Nic – December 14, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • March! :) Way excited for that here. It’s been too long. It’s gonna be my birthday present.

Comment by Amber – December 14, 2011 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about The Good Wife, 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, How I Met Your Mother

Comment by A – December 14, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post