Who Will Be Breaking In With Christian Slater in Season 2? And Who Won't Be?

The Contra Security workplace will look a bit different when Fox’s Breaking In breaks out its second season.

Confirmed to return as series regulars to the caper comedy — which was canceled back in May but then plucked from the ashes as a midseason replacement — are Christian Slater (as Contra boss man Oz), Bret Harrison (Cameron) and Alphonso McAuley (Cash).

Plus, as TVLine exclusively reported last month, Emmy winner Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) is coming on board as a Season 2 regular, playing Oz’s own boss.

Fox Midseason Sets Dates for Alcatraz, Finder, Returns of Kiefer Sutherland and Breaking In

As for the rest of the ensemble: TVLine has learned that Odette Annable, who during Breaking In‘s brief canceled state joined the cast of Fox’s House, will reprise her role of savvy, sexy Melanie in “multiple episodes” but not reclaim series regular status. Meanwhile, Michael Rosenbaum — who in Season 1 guest-starred as Mel’s doofus beau, Dutch – is not set to return, due to his preexisting commitment to direct a feature film that he wrote. However, we hear the Smallville alum could guest-star at some later point.

Breaking In kicks off its new season on March 6, airing Tuesdays at 8:30/7:30c between encore and new episodes of New Girl (while Glee is on hiatus).

Comments (53)

• Really? Odette Annable is fine, but Michael Rosenbaum was so great on the show. He stole every scene he was in. That is really disappointing as I was one of the few eager for the show to return.

Comment by Nick – December 28, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Odette’s character will not be missed- the whole thing with the new guy pining over her didn’t make any sense anyway. why would he be gaga over this girl? she was so… blah. Strangely (or not so strangely) enough, i find her character on House to be bland as well. I’m not saying it’s just the actress. But it takes a certain kind of charisma/talent to be able to elevate lackluster writing or fully flesh out a one dimensional character. so far, i’ve seen no sign that she has that. Some people act well when they have a phenomenal script and director. some people act well NO MATTER WHAT.

Comment by deedee – December 29, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is fine.. what is this nonsense about “one dimensional character” blah blah blah…. as if you have knowledge on what you are talking about…..

Comment by jefff – August 20, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show! Very Happy that it is coming back!

Comment by Daniela – December 28, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they cancelled BI i was soo dissapointed, but i had a feeling that it will not be over that easey. and when i found out they renewed it i was sooo happy.

Comment by Marta – December 28, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Rosenbaum needs to come back. he really was the best part of the show. he was hysterical to watch.

Comment by Jen – December 28, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt-
    Any word on whether Trevor Moore will return?
    Thanks!

Comment by Kevin – December 28, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with the other posters. Very happy the show is coming back but sad to hear that M. Rosenbaum won’t be a regular! He was hilarious.

Comment by Lisa London – December 28, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about that one guy that everybody seems to hate? He’s not even in the photo, so maybe we should forget about him

Comment by Will – December 28, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the addition of Megan Mullally as Oz’s Boss doesn’t have a similar effect to when Human Target gave Chance a Boss in Season2 – ie. I hope it don’t destroy the whole show.

Comment by Fido – December 28, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Megan Mullally can’t destroy a show, it can only get better(for me obviously, I wouldn’t dare to speak for others). Bummer for Rosenbaum though, he clearly played the most enjoyable/funniest character.
      And I’m with you about Human Target, they killed it with Ilsa and I’m almost glad it didn’t get renewed. At least we don’t have to powerlessly witness the butchery anymore, what a crappy executive decision! It really was a one season show.

Comment by Damian – December 28, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes Damian, you may speak for me – Megan Mullally = comedy gold. I would love to have her career!

Comment by Melissa – December 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is Josh returning?

Comment by ggny – December 28, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was sad to hear Rosenbaum wasn’t returning as Dutch, but it’s because he’s making a film in my hometown. So I guess it’s okay! lol I love him and definitely hope he returns as Dutch in the future!

Comment by Jenny – December 28, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to find a way to work Michael Rosenbaum in full time. Bring him back when Odette returns.

Comment by John Berggren – December 28, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can you have like a 2 man team?!

Comment by shaun – December 28, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rosenbaum will guest star at some undetermined time? Where have I heard that before? Hmm…

The only real appeal of the show (which is nowhere neat as funny as Raising Hope or New Girl) is Odette. I can’t watch House, because that show makes my soul bleed, so I was hoping to see her again here. If not, I don’t know that I’ll be very interested.

Mullally seems to join every series at some point. Why don’t they just give her and Ted McGinley their own sitcom? They could play actors who specialize in playing sitcom replacement characters.

Comment by Drew – December 28, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Odette. I just rewatched October Road to get my fix. House is so incredibly awful that I can’t force myself to watch it.

Comment by ScottB – December 28, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Odette WILL be back. Just not in every episode.

Comment by Nancy – December 28, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the BEST day of “Raising Hope”, it is not 1-80th as funny as this show or “New Girl”!

But maybe that will change when they add Megan & somewhat lose Odette.

Comment by TJChurch – December 28, 2011 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what’s worse – Odette Annable not being a series regular or Megan Mullally joining the cast! Megan Mullally is annoying and she is not necessary! Christian Slater rocks as Oz and fills the gap left by Charlie Sheen in the so not politically correct but absolutely hilarious category. And why waste Odette on House when it has already jumped the shark? Bring her back! FOX had a great show in “Breaking In” but it had a lousy timeslot and that was it’s only problem. The show isn’t broken so FOX can stop trying to fix it!

Comment by Kate – December 28, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA. Can’t tolerate Megan. IMO Christian Slater deserves a better show, but adding MM is heading things in the wrong direction.

Comment by Templar – December 28, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Rosenbaum was the only bright spot on the show, and really the only reason I watched it. Too bad he’s not going to be returning.

Comment by mgb – December 28, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • also what is up with Brett Harrison show going from being cancel to brought back and the last second and be rework in the 2nd season? This is like The Loop all over again..Canceled but then brought back and then the show is reworked and cuts a few character(most importantly the female characters/love interest that made the show work) and then the 2nd season will suck and be canceled for good just like The Loop

Comment by ggny – December 28, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s funny you mention that because the same thing happened with Reaper. It was on the bubble after the first season but got renewed and they tried to rework the show… which only sent it into a death spiral. I’m not sure if they had the same love interest in the second season though since I gave up on it too. That show had so much untapped potential, it really got screwed-over by the mindless network drones… as usual.

Comment by Marc – December 28, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sad Michael Rosenbaum isn’t returning because he was my favorite character. However, I still plan on watching because I loved the show last year and I want it to be a success. Even if you will miss Michael you should still watch because he’s not going to be directing his movie forever and may come back if the show is successful!

Comment by alyssa897 – December 28, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad the show is coming back but a little concerned that Odette and Michael are not coming back as series regulars or not at all. What made the show interesting was Dutch and his crazy ideas and outbursts as well as the crush Bret’s Cam had on Odette’s Melanie. I think that if the whole cast does not return and make the show like we used to know it this time it will not get saved from a true cancellation and what a shame. I so was looking forward to seeing Melanie’s feelings towards Bret after last season’s finale, I guess that will be written off now that she will not be appearing as often.

Comment by Erika – December 28, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show sucked. That’s why it got canceled in the first place.

Comment by Lisa – December 28, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy that Breaking In was brought back to life, but sad that Michael Rosenbaum is not coming back. He was HILARIOUS!!!!!

Comment by Aileen – December 28, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dutch was better in small doses. I didn’t think he was as funny when he was on all the time. I hope they do bring him back for a few episodes though.

Comment by Lauren – December 28, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Dutch = No Show… Breaking In will get canceled again :/

Comment by Brendan – December 28, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree No Dutch = No Show

Comment by T – December 29, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too agree. Michael rosenbaum was the reason why I watched the show. Now I have no reason to watch it.

Comment by LLL – January 15, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people are weird, that Dutch character was retarded. Probably the reason they almost cancelled it. I mean when he was on the screen it was literally unwatchable. Liked the guy as Lex Luthor, but not that character.

Comment by Nick – December 28, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Alphonso! Glad he’s back. No joke, he’s the funniest person I’ve ever known. Good for him!

Comment by Stephanie – December 28, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I was one of the few (or the one) who hated Michael Rosenbaum’s character. It cheapened Odette’s, in my opinon. I also liked that Slater’s character was the boss because he was fabulously rich and had his own company. Adding Mulally is only going to distract from the show’s point… “BREAKING IN” places, not wondering “Who’s The Boss”.

I DO hope they’ll add a couple more characters. I always thought this was a funnier, shorter, “Leverage” and would hate to see this show go the way of “Reaper”.

Comment by brett – December 28, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about the post the exact same thing about disliking Michael Rosenbaum’s character, so apparently neither of us are alone on that one.

No mention of Trevor Moore’s (The guy from Whitest Kids U Know), character.. the “master of disguise” guy. I hope they bring him back as well. I think they could just give Rosenbaum’s “funny outbursts” to him and it would be fine, and probably funnier.

Comment by The Squatch – December 28, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Dutch? Seriously, then what’s the point of bringing it back?

Comment by Melanie – December 28, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The news that Megan Mullaly will be a second season regular as Oz’s boss reminds of how FOX’s demands screwed up Human Target [the audience demanded so more guerror and FOX gave us less Guerrero and two female characters including a new, female boss - sound familiar?].

Of course, Breaking In is a comedy, but making such a such, fundamental change will probably wind up being just as effective for Breaking In as it was for Human Target [which became such a HUGE hit following FOX's required changes... No, wait...].

Comment by Sheldon W. – December 28, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Human Target team went from a highly-skilled super-experienced team to a bunch of impotent Poochy’s beeches (she bought into this super experienced team then proceeded to question their EVERY action and continued to believe she ALWAYS knew how best to accomplish that weeks mission). Surely the Breaking In ptb won’t make the same mistake. Surely not.

Comment by Fido – December 29, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too bad that Rosenbaum won’t be a regular. He’s hilarious. I also remember the producer saying that if they got picked up, they wanted to add Alyssa Milano as a regular. She was pretty funny last season, so I’m disappointed that doesn’t seem to be happening. I hope FOX didn’t renew the show only to ruin it with a bunch of changes.

Comment by Carrie – December 28, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super happy this show is back but I as it was cancelled the cast had to move on so it is not surprising that we will not see Odette in very episode or that Michael is not returning which is too bad he was super funny.

Comment by sarah – December 29, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thrilled to find out that the show got a reprieve, but not so thrilled now to find out it won’t be the same show.

Michael Rosenbaum was hilarious and I was thinking they just HAD to make him a regular now that the show got picked up, so it’s really disappointing to hear he won’t be back. I liked Odette Annable as well, so it’s really not going to feel the same without them. But I guess that’s what happens when actors are told their show is canceled… they get other jobs.

Comment by Karlie – December 29, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really sad about Michael not returning, as I wasn’t fond of his character. Never a fan of loudmouth, obnoxious bullies. I will misse Odette though, I enjoyed her character. I’m just glad the show is back, as I really enjoyed Christian Slater as a the wisecracking, smartass boss! Role fit him!

Comment by Mare – December 30, 2011 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH! Michael Rosenbaum was the BEST part of the show. I couldn’t wait for it to come back but now I’m not so sure. BOO!

Comment by Misty – December 30, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the dutch character wasthe worst part about the show

Comment by iced – December 30, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does any one know if Trevor Moore is returning? i think he was a great cast member one of those vocalize very little let my face do all the talking kind of actors much like Bill Murray. i hope he comes back. i think people are judging Oddette based on her voice more than her skill. shes does have a grating voice definately however she doesnt deserve the flack alot of the posters are giving her. shes pretty funny actually. i thought first season had a grade a cast. i think Megan Mullaly could bring alot to the show. but its up to the writers on what they do with her. if they bring her in as the “Karen”character i think a “Karen” vs Oz could be hilarious. and finding out how she became the boss could also be hilarious.

Comment by Allie – December 30, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im not gonna go into whos funny or whos not. Breakin in had potential because you had the perfect text book 101 type of ensamble. boss with charisma, underdog main character, hot chick, funny guy, rival type of guy and comedy character Dutch who can be used conviniently in any scene that needs a little laugh.

the show had one of the great characters, but wheather its because of cancelation(was it?), the scenario part of the show was not good.
    IF it had a full season episodes, it might have been good, but I can say that to 60%of canceled show. the point is, I dont think what they need is emmy winning actress, they need better story and more character development so that we want to see what happenes to main characters.

Comment by Dwayne – January 7, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i only watched the show ’cause I liked Trevor Moore…..is he coming back?

Comment by Laura – January 15, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. So Trevor Moore isn’t coming back? He was the only reason I watched the show regularly. He was so friggin funny. Blah. It seems like there was no reason to even bring it back now.

Comment by Heather – January 29, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kecatmyn

Comment by boqkzefv – April 15, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Catching up on my DVR, hadn’t seen any of season 2 till the other day,i am more then disappointed in the new cast lineup. Killed all the shows after season 2 episode 3. Just deleted it. Megan M. not only is so freaking old, she is old news. She had her day in the sun, now she looks like a prune. Odette being taken out of the lineup well ok take the only woman on the team that looked decent, replace her with a blond british bitch, then add megan and you got a stew that just won’t cook. I wondered why my wife stopped watching it. She said it started to really suck, and oh Mike, idiot but i loved his character in small doses. I think Christian got hosed, and so did the show. Cancelled once should have died and RIP because its Zombie return is “BORING!”

Comment by Robert – May 17, 2012 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disguise guy needed to go, was so lame. Yustman is so exquisite she just needed to be there and light up the room. Dutch was funny as hell. Both leaving killed the show, too bad.

Comment by Blah – May 21, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post