TV's 20 Biggest Disappointments of 2011

Just as TV can exceed our expectations by, say, taking what felt like the umpteenth couples comedy and parlaying it into wonderful, weekly Happy Endings, gripping us tight with Homeland drama or reviving the primetime sudser with a delicious serving of Revenge, small screen fare can also let us down.

With 2011 drawing to a close, we reflected on 20 instances over the past year when, for one reason or another, the TV gods didn’t quite smile on us. Review our picks, then share your thoughts in comments.

TVLine Also Counts Down: The 10 Most Underrated TV Performances of 2011

1. Meg says:

Cuddys exit was no disappointment!! I started to hate her & this annoying Huddy-melodrama in the last seasons. House is better without her.

I agree with the MIA status of Cougar town and hope Community will get renewed.

2. kevin says:

I totally agree on some of TV’s big disappointments like the COMMUNITY and COUGAR TOWN waiting game, THE KILLING “lackluster” season finale and the Sunday night showdown between DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and THE GOOD WIFE. There were others that didn’t make the list like when NBC failed to pick up the WONDER WOMAN reboot, X FACTOR turning it into a freak show or giving people headaches, period dramas crash and burn (THE PLAYBOY CLUB and PAN AM), ENTOURAGE series finale and the long hiatus of MAD MEN. Back to PAN AM, I can see why the series took bad beats in the ratings since it got good remarks in its debut and I really think that ABC is about to make the ’60s drama on the verge of cancellation just like what the alphabet network did with Charlie’s Angels and it looks like the drama queens are about to be history.

• Eli says:

Kevin, you suck so much I cannot put it in words…

Also, Pan Am is turning out to be pretty good after a weak start and definitely deserves to stay. Unlike the atrocious Charlie’s Angels, which was so bad it made my eyes bleed.

• kevin says:

Eli, don’t be so mean on my comments and be nice and polite as well as if you’re willing to have a fair apology and I’m serious.

3. Justin says:

Definitely agree about Cougartown’s MIA status. What is ABC thinking right now?! Geez! However, I actually enjoyed Charlie’s Angels and those first few episodes of Chuck. Charlie’s Angels never warranted a renewal from the beginning, but it was enjoyable to me. The first few episodes of Chuck were just a different spin on the series that you knew wouldn’t last long. I don’t understand why it was such a big deal. I found it quite hilarious with Morgan as the intersect.

4. kell says:

David Shore, Fox and NBC have ruined the show. save a few dollars will end up canceled, the rating of the season 8 is the worst of all seasons. the public is punishing the show with the rating

5. Gina says:

Thank you for including the cancellation of Eureka as one of your big disappointments of this year. As a fan since the first episode, I felt like the show was just getting better and better. I understand the bottom line is money and that it was an expensive show to produce, but it’s disheartening to see them creating more episodes of Ghost Hunters and Paranormal-whatever at the expense of such amazing creativity and intelligent humor. Not only that, but it is one of the few shows on television that appeals to all ages. We watched it as a family, and I didn’t worry about what my children would see.

I don’t usually get emotional over television, but I shed a tear (or two) when I learned Eureka wouldn’t be back after next year.

6. Jules says:

Yes, of course Cuddy’s exit was weird(Edelstein reason was stupid..sorry but it’s true.what she’s done since a litte 3 Epi TGW unepressive…well nothing!) But honestly, im enjoying more since her departure-less crappy/emotional relationship/work issues that doom ssn7…and now we can explore deeper and focus on medical puzzles and the effect on House or the team..Back to the first seasons..
    And back then..(I rewatch ssn1/2) we she was appearing less 5 min or not at all like “Broken” or the “the Dig” the episode was perfect….
    We had to try to match them together,but “WE” all knew that we was impossible that will last…
    So I have faith, in January my favorite addiction will be back in force…as for a possible return (honestly i hope not) Only “IF” it is the last season/episode and done as a closure of theirs caracthers “chapter” -I will accepte Eldestein’s return, [but bring "13" first -finalize House's promises to help her died] then they can both forgive themselves and continue their own redemption in peace far far far away from each other…And House will retire /found happinest in New Jersey or in Fiji playing piano in a Blues bar…

• Smoothie says:

medical cases and characters development are not powerful, this season is boring and would have been boring with or without lisa edelstein.
      I don’t want cuddy to come back, it will be silly again, she’s far away now and it’s better for her and her child.

7. Finally.... says:

TVLINE I’d like to give you props for saying what so many are afraid to do for fear of the nasty SPN fans coming after you with the pitch fork that they’ve shown to do some many times in the past…..that season 7 of SPN has been less then stellar and putting to question a next season…because really, why? SPN should have come to a conclusion at least two seasons ago — though I will heartily admit that the French Mistake was anything thing but. Sadly, this show feels tired and it’s time to let it go into the paranormal goodnight.

• Dawn says:

THIS. I’m so happy the suits at Warner Brothers seem to have overruled Gamble’s decision to write Cas out of Supernatural. It’s like the heart has gone out of the show with his departure and I’ve gone from clearing the decks and putting my kids to bed early to watch, to forgetting to tune in at all a couple of times and switching to Grimm halfway through the rest of the time.

I really hope his return heralds a return to regular status for Misha Collins if the show gets renewed.

• Dilys says:

This! It’s really sad when I look forward to a Grimm episode more than an SPN episode but without Cas I have to force myself to watch now.

8. Lolo says:

I totally agree with the one about Chuck,I really didn’t like the first few episodes at all and I’m a huge fan of the show. I kept thinking his can’t be how it goes! But after the Frosted Tips episode was over I really started to enjoy it again, especially Chuck vs. The Santa Suit. :)

9. Jake says:

The problem is, the networks are using a ratings system that is beyond outdated. They even do DVR recordings separately. They need to get rid of the stupid friggin over done reality shows and give us some really good programming.

• Pierce says:

Actually the people who DVR shows are getting exactly what they deserve. They FF through commercials defeating the advertisers’ purpose. The Neilsons are intended to gauge who watches live. The advertisers are supporting the production and if you don’t watch live, you don’t count. So, if you DVR and your show gets cancelled, it serves you right.

10. Pam says:

I am a huge Torchwood fan but Miracle Day was terrible. And I still cannot stand Mekhi Phifer.

11. Amelie says:

I still love Supernatural and will continue to watch, but I agree that this season has been a huge disappointment so far. Doesn’t even feel like I’m watching the same show half the time. I miss the exciting plots and consistent storytelling.

12. Melanie says:

Have to disagree about Supernatural — I’m really enjoying this season. I have not been disappointed in the show at all.
    Otherwise, the list is spot on.

13. náh says:

The end of Huddy, and Cuddy’s sudden departure, were a shock, and had a negative impact on House hearing…very low. But I fear the return of Cuddy. Lisa Edelstein has been very humiliated and massacred, and I think back, there is no hope…David Shore will destroy time, Cuddy.

14. DW says:

Totally agree about Supernatural. I’ve been a fan since day one and although the relationship between Sam and Dean is and will always be the center of the show I feel like the angst and plots they are using are very overdone. They resolve an issue between them and it comes back and goes away again in an episode. It’s empty angst and it doesn’t give me the same feelings it used to. It feels like they’re trying too hard to go back to a season one feel when they’ve moved beyond that simplicity.

I know some people say they love this season but really I think those are just people who are clinging to the show they once loved. Or people who hate Castiel and are so happy that he’s gone they insist on saying the show is flawless now when in reality it’s got a lot of issues. The flow of the storyline is just gone and since last season things have been very messily put together. I don’t care so much that Cas is dead but it was nice for the show to branch out with some other characters for the sake of a different perspective. I just think they could do better, they have such talented writers and actors.

• Dave says:

Just like people who dislike the show don’t want to be cornered into only Cas fans or whatever. People who still like the show (like me) are not all just clinging to show they once loved. I have actually really enjoyed this season so far. Here are my ratings out of 5 for each episode this season so far.

Meet the new Boss – 5

Hello, Cruel World – 4

The Girl Next Door – 3.5

Defending your Life – 3 (I really wanted to like this episode more but it kind of fell flat but it was great to see Jo again so that’s why it gets a 3 rather than a 2.5)

Shut Up, Dr. Phil – 4

Slash Fiction – 4

The Mentalists – 3 (Did have some really funny moments)

Season 7, Time for a Wedding – 3

How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters – 4.5

Death’s Door – 5

So as you can see, IMO this season has been pretty good and not a disappointment at all.

• Jay says:

Yes, and I think the key point in your comments is the “IMO” bit. The fact you think it’s great is meaningless.

• Dave says:

My point was that not every fan who still likes Supernatural is clinging to the show they once love. Some of us still really enjoy the show and still do love it. That was my point. I am not going to sit there and say it’s the best show on tv right now because it’s all perspective. To me it might be but to another person it’s not. All of it just depends on what the person finds entertaining.

15. jj says:

The departure of Lisa Edelstein from House is hands down the number 1 disappointed in TV I have ever encountered in my life. And to voice my displeasure I did not buy Season 7 DVD or blu-ray (I have the previous 6 season) nor have a watch one single episode of House this season. House no longer exists in my book.

16. Dilys says:

I could not agree more about Supernatural. Getting rid of Cas/Misha Collins has left us with the same old boring angst between the brothers, a boring villain in the Leviathans that I couldn’t care less about, repetitive monsters of the week and very little joy. I miss Cas and I miss Team Free Will together. I can’t wait till Misha is back and would hope the Powers that Be realize they need more than Sam and Dean angsting to keep the audience interested. And French Mistake and The Man who Would be King were the best episodes of a lackluster 6th season too. Bring back Team Free Will!!!!!

17. Cynthia says:

Dont care what they do on House. It will never be the same because Cuddy is gone. I miss Cuddy and LE a lot.

18. Jane2 says:

The loss of Cuddy from House was my big TV disappointment for 2011. I’ve not watched an episode since. I will never understand why they didn’t value the character or appreciate her importance to the narrative and fundamental structure of the show.

My TV wish for 2012 is to see Lisa Edelstein back on my screen!

19. Brandy says:

I cant get the slideshow to work right, it shows the first page then jumps to the third page, but I really want to know what thier list is, will someone please tell me. Thanks in advance.

20. Karen says:

Couldnt tell you whether the show is better or not because I stopped watching after that disastrous finale last year and the walking out from LE.

Based on ratings, I wasn’t alone.

21. Vasiliki says:

Your review on SPN is spot on! (including the hilarious “French Mistake”)

22. Ruth says:

Kudo’s to you, TV Line and your staff. You guys sure know how to work up the fandoms on each of these shows, especially the Supernatural fans. This year, they seem to be more polarized than ever. Let’s hope that they come together soon and stop all this bickering. After all, I think it’s still a great show. Oh…and yes, I’m one of those “Supernatural fans”, too. Just not so vocal… :-)

23. mst3k says:

I know it was last year, but I’m still really ticked off about the ending to LOST. Jerks.

24. I know that this is probably something that you wouldn’t ever cover here, but I need to mention it….my biggest TV disappointment this year was in the currently airing SportsCenter:The Year in Review on ESPN. Apparently, since they don’t air hockey games they feel a need to not mention them…I can live with that but to do a year in review and highlight the deaths of sports figures for the year and to fail to mention the three NHLers that died suddenly at a young age this year is disgusting, but to not even mention the ENTIRE professional team that dies in a plane crash in Russia, including players from North America and one a legitimate retired star is just incomprehensible..so much for them being the “Worldwide leader in sports”

25. JC says:

I have to agree Supernatural is just spinning it’s wheels. The writers have run out of ideas so they are lazily trying to recreate season one and failing dismally. Instead of adding (and keeping) interesting supporting characters, they are stupidly killing off everyone for cheap shock value. So we’re left with the same merry-go-round of brother issues over and over because there are no longer any other characters to add anything to the mix. No one is even trying to do anything new anymore. It’s not surprising the ratings have sunk so low.

• Eric says:

Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

• Dave says:

The ratings being down have nothing to do with the quality of the show. If you check all of the networks (the CW) shows are down. Not just SPN. SPN is still one of the highest in ratings on the CW only behind The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle and SPN is on a Friday night were a lot of people do not stay home to watch tv. More and more people no a days are DVRing thier shows or watching them online. In fact if you the the Live+ 7 numbers for SPN on DVR it goes up almost every week 50-60%. Some times it’s been the top show with increased viewers. So people are still watching SPN just not live on a Friday night.

26. beverlyP says:

I think Miracle Day (can’t really bring myself to call it Torchwood) should have been on 1 here. I’m still waiting for them to reveal that it was all just some weird kind of experimental show. Something like: How much can you destroy something that was once a small but beloved “cult” show, alienate the fans over it and then add some pretty disgusting stuff like the jolly child murderer and STILL air it. I think the day the show gets officially canceled, about 90% of the “old” fans will celebrate that, I think that’s the most saddest thing that has happened to a show EVER.

• elainePP says:

I fully agree! The disaster started in fact with COE when everything we loved about this show was destroyed for shock value, with no respect for the fans…RIP Torchwood.

27. Zenobia says:

Supernatural has definitely been a huge disappointment for a lot of people this season. If they hadn’t announced Castiel was going to be returning for episode 7.17, I would have given up on the show altogether. Sam and Dean are great characters, but the way the show has mercilessly killed off every other interesting character who was a friend of theirs has totally turned me off, and now I have a harder time feeling invested in what happens to them. Sam and Dean alone aren’t enough to keep my interest especially when after 7 years they are just rehashing so same old tired material. Thank goodness they are bringing Misha! There’s so much dramatic material with his character and his relationship with Sam and Dean that they haven’t explored, and it’s a shame he wasn’t better utilized throughout this whole season.

28. JessK says:

Supernatural has been circling the drain since mid-2010, I’m not remotely surprised to see it on this list. What happened to this show? For five years it was the only show I consistently watched, loved, bought the DVDs and followed the fandom. I even went to a couple of conventions and have made great friends through a mutual love of the show. Now I can’t even stand to hear about it, much less watch it. It’s downright depressing to think SPN has gone from one of my all time favourites to something I wouldn’t watch if you paid me.

(In before: ‘blah blah, Cas!stan blah’ – I’ve been with this show since S1, my problems with this show started in S5, I used to be a Dean!girl and now I can’t stand the character.)

• muse says:

I am still a Dean girl. In fact, he is the only reason I continue to DVR the show, though it often takes me several weeks to catch up now. I think the biggest problem with the show is that they refuse to let the two main characters grow. They keep them on a hamster wheel because they continue to keep the supernatural storyline focus on Sam and only give Dean the reactive role of angsting over Sam. I think removing Cas and Bobby from Dean’s orbit has really narrowed the character and what was once understandable dysfunction has now become frustrating and repetitive to watch. As for Sam, the character has also not grown at all. His constant need to assert himself as a big boy, has gone beyond ridiculous, especially when, left to his own devices, he hallucinates, shoots at his brother and lets serial-killing monsters wearing pretty girls, go on to kill another day. Neither Sam, nor Dean, seem particularly heroic these days. Dean, because he has been turned into a depressed alcoholic, and Sam because his ego continues to direct his actions regardless of who his actions may hurt.

29. LisaBeth says:

The reason I stopped enjoying the show has very little to do with Castiel’s death even though I am a Cas fan. It has to do with the inconsistent writing, plot holes big enough to drive the Impala through, and the recycling of season 1-3 story lines. Seasons 1-3 were fantastic the first time, they don’t need to be rewritten and passed off as something “new and fresh”.

30. JohnDoe says:

Christopher Meloni’s exit from Law and Order: SVU. The show hasn’t been the same since.

31. Carrie says:

All you people are crazy, the show has been TERRIBLE since they got rid of Castiel. The ratings have never been this bad. The show is not just about two brothers, it’s about family. Family don’t end with blood. Bobby and Castiel are important too. We need Castiel.

32. Na says:

Supernatural this year is not a disapointment. Without the dreadful Castiel angel storyline it’s actually good. Unless you’re a fortune teller and referring to the dreadful disapointing Supernatural future that’s coming with The Castiel return…

• Brett says:

You are a crazy ridiculous person. Castiel is the only reason Supernatural even lasted to season 7. Now it’s back to redundant monster of the week bull and more Dean/Sam angst, Christ, change the record.

• Eric says:

I guess you haven’t bothered to check up on the ratings. Episodes including Castiel actually tend to pull in more viewers, so… I think that speaks for itself.

• Jolie says:

The ratings are not anything like some people are saying they are, so really stop pulling that card. It’s been proven time and time again that people aren’t counting the people DVR’ing the show and watching it on the internet. The Nielsen rating system is completely flawed.

• Karen says:

What ratings do the advertisers look at? NEILSEN.

Spin it however you like but a drop to 1.5 million and a drop in the demo too is abysmal.

• Krystel says:

Are you joking? Castiel and the whole damn angel storyline IS Supernatural. There isn’t a damn show without it. It would only last up to season 3 of them hunting yellow eyes and then it would end abrubtly because they would never figure out that Sam is suppose to be Lucifer and what not. Angels have always been there omg I can’t even with you. Without angels there would be no Supernatural. Simple.

• Jolie says:

I’m sorry but when the people that CREATED the show as well as the two main stars state over and over again that SPN is a show about “TWO BROTHERS” i’m going to believe them over an ignorant Cas fan.

• Sammi says:

Actually, if you want to pull that card, Kripke, Gamble, Robert, and the actors have all also said that the show is about family. The show centers about two brothers, yes, but that is not all it is about, and anybody who claims so clearly needs to deal with that huge load of bias.

Also, might want to check out the bonus features on pretty much all of the disc sets since Misha’s been around, especially season 6 where the writers themselves say that Castiel is “another main character, another brother”. So, y’know, I’m gonna go with them over somebody who’s clearly moronic enough to label an entire section of the fandom as “ignorant” just for being a fan of a certain character. Talk about lame.

• Jolie says:

And even if Castiel came back, I doubt Dean would see Castiel as a brother anymore, or any part of family. He broke the most important person in his world’s wall as well as lied to him. Though that’s not even saying Castiel is going to be the one coming back, I can hope that SPN writers do something right even though they are caving to the fan service and have it not be Cas. I think that’s the only way Misha’s return will be worth a damn.

• Cody says:

Ignore her… it’s sammywsgirl/samislarger/kyellin/lilpandapaws. Translation: Sam can do no wrong and Dean must live for Sam and Sam alone.

• Cody says:

Oh, and btw “Jolie” Dean’s reaction to finding Cas’s coat made his feelings for Cas pretty obvious. ;-)

• smellynellie says:

Yeah, Castiel was such a good friend and brother to Sam, wasn’t he? I’m glad he’s gone.

• Sammi says:

@smellynellie since it won’t let me reply to your comment – are you implying that Sam and Dean have never made mistakes or hurt each other? I recall Sam nearly killing Dean in one episode when he got in his way. They’ve ALL made mistakes, Castiel is no exception. It’s rather hypocritical to act like he’s some huge villain for it.

• Maria says:

@smellienellie, just think: if only Cas had been written out in season 5, Sam could have stayed in Hell and then fandom would be free of morons like you.

33. Monique says:

I miss Chicago Code a lot!

34. David says:

I have been watching SMALLVILLE since the pilot, and I wasn’t disappointed at all by the finale. The show was about Clark Kent becoming Superman, and so he did by the end which segways into SUPERMAN movies and such. As for being a Superman fan, SMALLVILLE is a great addition to the mythology of the greatest comic book characer ever!

35. Sara says:

I agree completely on Supernatural. I have been a fan since day one and have always loved it and if not liked at least completely understood their choices and admired the fact that they had the guts for such risky moves, but this season has been a let down. Getting rid of Castiel was a horrible move. Especially because it seemed to have purpose, this first half only seems to be filler, there has been next to no progress in the story line – one that is incredibly weak as well. And the filler episodes are so repetitive of seasons past that they are ridiculously predictable. I LOVED season 1, but it wasn’t because of the “Monster of the Week” thing. It was because of the amazing characters, the constant development, rich story telling, and suspense. Somehow they’ve managed to go back to it and leave out everything that made it great. It’s so frustrating, because I have been a fan for so long and still am one, but it’s just hard to ignore all this. I wish they’d accept their mistakes and fix all this, instead of trying to make it work.

36. Lipa says:

The Winchesters are awesome, Castiel is awesome. Stop with the hate. That is all babes.

37. Krystel says:

Are you kidding me? I disagree strongly. Yes, this show is about two brothers and it’ll always be that, but going back to the basics? What good is that going to do. We have seen this before and I don’t think it was a good decision to take Castiel away. The angels were a big part of the plot and yes, Eric Kripke said that season 6 and so on would be more of a sequel than a continuation, but that doesn’t mean killing off all the loved characters and going back to JUST Sam and Dean. No. That’s not how the show works. Yes, it’s about two brothers, but it’s also about what they face and who helps them. Castiel continues to be a great problem for Dean because he “betrayed” him. I think it was a dumb move to make Castiel the bad guy. I really don’t think that going back to the basics is going to keep everyone interested.
    The show will always be about two brothers.
    That doesn’t mean they can’t have other characters with them.

38. Jolie says:

But of course he’s too old and ugly to interfere with your Wincest fantasies ins’t he, so he gets the pass… Your ignorance is showing sweetheart, not everyone who is happy Castiel is gone is a Wincest shipper. Some of us don’t ship a damn thing and are just happy that a storyline that has honestly run it’s course is gone. Especially for a character that was only suppose to be on a few episodes. I just hope that when Misha does come back (only for those 3 episodes and nothing more) that he’s not Castiel.

• lolz says:

You don’t actually have to fantasize about the brothers banging each other to be a wincester. The way I define Wincester is someone who refuses to accept that it is possible for either brother to care about characters other than each other. Granted, Sam’s questionable judgement makes it difficult to embrace anyone he gets close to, but Dean has had many interesting relationships over the course of the show and it is incredibly short-sighted of the writers to take that away from him in order to force him back into orbitting around the super-speshul snowflake what is wrong with him this season.

39. Lee says:

People who are saying the show is about two brothers: Of course it is, we’re not stupid. The show has been about them for 7 seasons. Does that justify getting rid of every other character that supports them mentally and physically? NO.

Because the show can’t exist with only Sam and Dean. This show is about family and family doesn’t only consist of two brothers in this case and, like Bobby said, doesn’t end with blood. Are all of you, who say that they’re glad it’s about the two brothers again, glad that Bobby is probably dead? I bet you’re not. And if you are: WTF?

This show will always have Sam and Dean in it. And I can say for sure, if we get another season (and let’s say Bobby doesn’t return and Cas is killed off again) you will get tired of it. Because what is left to be explored in Sam and Dean’s relationship? We’ve seen it all. We’ve had angst and trust issues for 7 seasons, for me it’s getting repetitive.

I love Dean, I really do but his inability to trust anyone but Sam (and Bobby) pisses me off, I want his character to evolve.
    What bothers me about season 7 is not the lack of Castiel, if his death brought something to the story line I could deal with it somehow, but how is this Monster of the Week stuff exciting after what happened in season 4, 5 (and 6)? All we get are filler episodes and it’s just not interesting for me. Why don’t they answer some questions that haven’t been picked up yet? For example what the Anti-Christ? Or Adam? The fact that he is obviously still rotting in hell questions the whole family concept for me.
    I could go on and on and on but I’m just going to stop here.

• Jolie says:

Hate to burst your bubble, but even if Castiel came back, Dean isn’t going to be trusting him. I mean he broke his brother’s wall and a major part of his trust issues this season is because of Castiel. If they have Dean brush it off like it was nothing, that’ll just be fan service to Cas stans and so out of character for Dean. And I think it would ruin the show and then I could only hope that it ended at season 7, because then it would just be about a show that gave in to a few random fans that whined.

• Lee says:

Yeah, like Dean never did something that was out of character. And how many times did Dean “brush something off like it was nothing”? Countless times. It came back to haunt him, yes, and I don’t expect him to trust Cas again immediately. Castiel made mistakes, I’m not going to deny that (but he told Dean he would fix Sam if he just trusted him, and Dean didn’t, so Cas died before he could help Sam). But the Winchesters made mistakes too. And they forgave each other. Why shouldn’t Cas be forgiven since everything he did was to save their world? And don’t even try to argue with me on that because he did. He could’ve just let Raphael take over and lean back but he didn’t. Why are they allowed to use him like a tool and expect him to always be there for them but then not trust him at all? Why are Dean and Sam allowed to work with Crowley but Cas isn’t? And believe me, it’s not just some “random fans” who are whining. You make it sound like every fan, who is not a Cas fan, is superior to those who like him.

• lulu says:

The very core of Dean’s character is to forgive his family no matter how heinously they have acted. If he can forgive Sam for Ruby and for not being as invested in their relationship as he is, and he can forgive Bobby for lying to him for an entire year about the fact that Sam was out of Hell, he can eventually forgive Cas for what he did. Cas has not done anything worse than what Sam has done and if Dean does not see that, then that will be completely out of character for him.

• Cody says:

Mandi, just go away. Or at least stop talking like you know everything that’s going to happen. You don’t.

LIKE YOU DID AND CONTINUE TO DO WHEN YOU DON’T GET SAM, SAM, SAM?

• smellynellie says:

Like Dean/Cas fans don’t shout and whine to the heavens when they don’t get what they want. How’s the letter writing campaign going?

• Eric says:

… What are you even talking about. Shipping has nothing to do with whether or not people want Castiel on the show. Take off your ignorance goggles, would you?

40. Jolie says:

I’m pretty sure whoever wrote this is a Cas stan that is just butthurt because of his departure. Not everyone in the SPN fandom hates season 7, and not everyone is sad that Castiel is gone. In fact, I think this is one of the better seasons because it’s going back to the root of the show. When everything around them is falling apart, Sam and Dean are falling back on the one thing that they truly know how to do. Hunt monsters. What pisses me off is the Castiel fans that bitch and moan so much, that’s all the network hears and then they have to give in and create such fan service like bringing Misha back for episode 7.17. I can just only hope that he doesn’t come back as Castiel, which he probably isn’t. They’ve hinted enough of that and I’m sure the Cas stans will just start bitching about that and the network will yet again have to give into more fan service. The Castiel line ran it’s course and should just stay dead, hopefully when Misha comes back it’s as Jimmy and he goes and finds his family. That’s the only way his return will be worth anything. And if they make it into a big Dean/Cas moment I’m going to be pissed, because seriously I’m tired of all that fan service as well.

• Sammi says:

Wow. Do you have anything to say other than “blah, blah, Castiel stan, blah, blah, Cas fans are ignorant” etc? It’s hard to take anything you say seriously when you keep accusing people of liking a certain character. Yes, people like him. Get over it. No, liking him does not have to do with why so many people are disappointed with season 7 so far. Find something else to grasp at when trying to debate.

• Ann says:

If your favorite character was killed off, you would bitch and moan just as much as we do. But since your a lucky duck, your favorites are the main characters who will always come back. It’s people like you who cause fights in the fandom, not the Cas fans who are, oddly enough, always blamed.
      You can love season 7 is you want, no one cares and it’s your right to like any season you want. But stop attacking Cas fans just because they are moaning that they miss their favorite character because you would do the same.

• Dave says:

I will start off by saying I am a fan of the show SPN not any one character. I have enjoyed almost every charcter that has ever been on the show including Cas. Yes it is people that them that cause fights in the fandom but to try and peg hardcore Cas fans as being totally innocent is rediculous. I’m sorry but Cas fans are just as guilty about causing fights. They come on here and do nothing but complain and insult people who are not Cas fans. (Not all Cas fans do this but there have been a lot who have) They insult the show, they insult Sam and Dean, they also insult Sera Gamble. All of this creates fights. So while people like them also create fights so do Cas fans at times.

• lulu says:

Your idiocy is showing but sadly, you are the kind of “stans” Gamble is catering too, even as she mocks them horribly through the character of Becky. It’s actually, kind of hilarious.

41. Lesa says:

I agree in regards to Supernatural, however, it has nothing to do with Castiel. I don’t think Castiel/Misha is the ‘end all-be all’ and I don’t think he saved the show from anything or got it another season. My issues with Supernatural are about the stories and writing in general. The stories and issues, with or without Castiel, are repetitive (What’s wrong with Sam…again?), and I think the writing quality has definitely fallen off. But, I think this has been going on since somewhere around mid-Season 5. That’s not to say that there haven’t been really good episodes, but overall, I don’t think the last few seasons have been as good as the first four seasons. I think season 6 was the worst season ever. I think, generally speaking, season 7 is better than season 6, but I still think it’s not a very good season.

• Sara says:

ITA with all of this. Giving Dean a role of his own at the center of the myth-arc and this time following through on it would have been something that was new and fresh, but instead Gamble and Co. have chosen to just re-hash the same old storylines and package them differently and try to pass that off as her “fresh and new”. And yes,the basic writing mechanics have taken an extreme nosedive since mid S5, IMO, too. This, coupled with killing off too many great supporting characters-my favorite was Rufus-is why Supernatural has earned it’s place on this list for me. Still, S7 HAS been a lot better than six was, IMO, too-hopefully they won’t ruin it in the second half.

42. Mabu says:

You’re right, TV Line. Only the last two and first two episodes of season 7 were even worth watching. After Castiel’s supposed death, we were all just hoping beyond hope that Castiel would return somehow. And when that didn’t happen, we tried to keep ourselves happy with Bobby still being alive and there for the boys.
    Then, he got shot.
    And I’m not sure we (as a fandom) can recover from such a loss. And yet, I’ll probably still watch episode 12, in hopes that Cas returns and Bobby’s last help will be helpful to the boys.
    So there.

43. dee123 says:

Totally agree about L&O CI, both leads wanted to come back & it’s not like NBC (Where it should of gone back to) have a million shows with very loyal viewers.

44. rob60990 says:

Cougar Town and Community are where they belong. OFF SCHEDULE!!!! :D

45. Erin says:

Completely disagree about Supernatural. I thought season 7 has been awesome! I’ve loved every minute of it.

46. Zepp says:

The series “Smallville” has always treated the figure of the superman, like a normal guy with his girlfriend, his friends, and everything else. They forgot that he is a super hero with super powers, and not a comrade always exposed to multiple enemies much more powerful than he. In this show, when the teenage Clark Kent, won a clash with the enemy, was by pure luck. He had Kryptonite, in any place, any situation, was an “ocean” of kryptonite, as well as its number one enemy, Lex Luthor, was omnipresent, ever “appeared” in any place and get something from Clark. Lex until he married the love of Clark’s life! This story is for masochists. Sorry, but this show could have been epic, and for me, although well produced and staged, was a disappointment, unfortunately. Super hero is a super hero, not a “ordinary guy”, which opponents deride and massacre!

47. Gemma says:

I strongly disagree!! I have been a fan of the show since the beginning and I think Season 7 is great! It’s getting back to the original formula and making it all about Dean and Sam again which is what the show is supposed to be about! Don’t get me wrong I LOVE Cas but this Season is the best since Season 1 and 2 and not once have I been dissapointed.

• Hudson says:

The best? Man this season is the worse. When great reviewers like Maureen Ryan STOP reviewing the show because it’s so bad and the ratings keep dropping and everyone I know who used to love the show has stopped watching, it certainly isn’t the best. TVLine is right. This season has been a terrible disappointment. The writing is so disjointed and boring and when even Ben Edlund can’t keep my attention, there is something terribly, terribly wrong.

48. Dani says:

This is the thing that really bugs me when people bang on about the show being just about House. Of course it is, but if he doesn’t have convincing characters to bounce off then what’s the point? Do we want monologues to the camera? The character isn’t the most forthcoming with his emotions and that’s why the writers needed others like Wilson and Cuddy, who know him better than anybody else, to really get under his skin and make him emote. They’ve lost one of them now, and the other one has been reduced to the Greek chorus, narrating whatever happens during the ep for those who can’t keep up. For the past few seasons both LE and RSL have been wasted, and in season 8, on the whole so far, so has HL.

If you compare the attention to detail that other showrunners put into every single character on shows like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire, you realise just how lazy Shore et al have been over the years with their characterisation. They don’t create
    3-D people, they come up with character recipes where each new person is 3/10 House and 1/3 Cuddy etc, and with less experienced actors to flesh them out, the cracks are really starting to show. It’s a shame because House had the opportunity to leave an amazing legacy.

49. Nina says:

I really have to disagree that this season went downhill. On the contrary, I think it’s been a huge improvement from Season 6. I do love Castiel’s character and what changes he brought to the show, but I think it’s good we’re having a break from him. I think that briefly taking Castiel out did encourage further development of the show, as it allowed for time for Sam to try and deal with his own issues (Lucifer) and for the brothers to get on with their lives. Sure, the departure of Castiel only added to their unbearable suffering, but don’t we love to watch them suffer? At least, that’s what hooked me to the show in the first place. Sam and Dean suffering is a good thing. It made this show what it is: a big mess of emotional whiplash and pain and tears and excessive co-dependence and we all love that. I loved Castiel, but I think the show should keep moving forward, for the sake of Sam and Dean.

• Amelie says:

You’re perfectly welcome to your opinion and I respect it, but I disagree with about 99% of this. Since you said “we all”, I’m going to respond. No, I do not like the excessive co-dependence. It got redundant and… frankly, rather boring a while ago. And I’m not really seeing how the show is moving forward in any way. If anything it’s completely regressed. Sam’s dealing with his issues/Lucifer? When? Because I only recall about 2 episodes focusing on that and ever since he’s been perfectly fine, which is a little ridiculous considering how big of a deal his wall breaking was made out to be.

• muse says:

No we don’t all love the excessive codependence. Some of us actually find it pretty gross seven years in, especially since it continues to only flow one way from Dean to Sam. I completely believe that Sam could walk away from his brother and partner tomorrow and not look back, as he always could as long as he knew Dean was alive. Which is actually relatively healthy but the writers refuse to let Dean have that same and keep him tied to Sam by making something wrong with Sam every season so that Dean has no choice but to hover, worry and angst. The one-sidedness of the so-called brotherly bond has made it disturbing and not at all fun to watch. That is why Castiel was such a breath of fresh air for so many Dean fans. He actually did put Dean seemed to do more than tolerate Dean, and Dean also came to value Cas as a brother in a healthier, non-obsessive way. Getting rid of Cas completely stunted Dean’s development as a character and one of the big reasons there is so much anger about this move is because it is clear that Cas had to be gotten rid of because his bond with Dean was becoming more popular that the brotherly bond. But the writers can’t see the forest for the trees. Instead of getting rid of Cas, they should have improved the brotherly bond and made it more equal instead of having Dean chasing after Sam for all of season 6 while soulless Sam continued to treat him like crap. And even after Sam got his soul back, he never even mentioned how much Dean lost because of him so there was no catharsis there or in fandom parlance, no hurt to go with the comfort which is generally how it works where Sam and Dean are concerned. That’s the kind of one-sided writing that gets charges of favoritism leveled against the showrunners and has made the brotherly bond so unsatisfying to many fans like me.

• Sara says:

And me. Kudos to this post and poster.

• moonwatcher says:

But what’s in it for Sam fans? How does bringing Castiel back benefit Sam in any way? Sorry but not all of us watch for Dean/Cas.

• moonwatcher says:

Castiel spent the whole of Season 6 making nefarious plans behind Dean’s back, keeping secrets from both Dean and Sam. How about making the Winchesters/Castiel relationship more equal?

• pickle says:

I agree 100%. People keep going on about the “Brotherly Bond” but I don’t see it. I see one brother who is willing to do anything for his brother and the other one willing to leave when either he’s pissed or thinks something better came along.

50. godzilla's_foil says:

Desperate Housewives has been unbelievably bad for some time now. That’s why there is no disappointment, just reality. The same for Brothers & Sisters, “dead show walking”. I mean, do/did you really watch these? So you gotta know how rotten they are/were. Despite all other bad moments well-put, the biggest real, solid disappointment of the year was Dexter, by far.