Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

Tags:

Comments (1,008)

• fringe?

Comment by Kb – January 11, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have you seen Ausiello’s background pic on Twitter?. It’s a character from House.

It better be Foreman. Not Wilson, please!!!

Comment by Paula – January 11, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It does look more like Foreman but I wouldn’t consider him a lead character. That doesn’t mean that Ausiello wouldn’t, though. Wilson isn’t exactly the lead either but it’s hard to imagine the show going on without him. If it has to be someone from ‘House’, I’d also rather it be Foreman.

Comment by Stephanie – January 11, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it´s Wilson. No way i can stomach him anymore.

Comment by Mike – January 11, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i doubt it Nathan said he could probably care less if he dies in the last season of OTH…The article says the person is pretty pissed off about it

Im gonna say Jeremy on TVD after last week it just looks like he isnt long for on that show

Comment by ggny – January 11, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, Michael or Matt, can you at least say if someone has given the correct answer since the latest clue? C’mon, be a sport. ;)

Comment by Curious – January 11, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tyler on TVD is not incredibly popular it’s not hard to imagine the show without him.

I don’t watch House, but the only character I can think that is incredibly popular and hard to imagine the show without is Tony of NCIS. I’d be less likely to stick with the show without him.

Comment by Ryan – January 11, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t see it being NCIS. They have been known to kill of leads before. Not that shocking. Although if it was Gibbs or Tony, a little more on the shocking scale. But still the show gets nearly 21 million viewers still to this day. They aren’t killing off anyone on NCIS.

Although everyone except Cote (Ziva) and Rocky (Vance) is up for contract renewal this year. But still, you would think they would want to keep them not kill them given the success of the show.

I also don’t think they would finally heating up Tony and Ziva again if they are planning to kill Tony. Although it would be shocking. But still, NCIS is famous for not being afraid to kill off a character. The show can go on without Tony, but it would be shocking if it was Gibbs. But I can’t see Mark wanting to leave. He seems grateful for the success of the show.

Now NCIS: LA. Both Chris and LL Cool J are the leads there, and Chris’s character Callen is sorta the leader of the group unofficially. It would be a very different dynamic without either. But the show is doing so well. I can’t see it being that show either.

If Broadwalk Empire is a comparison. Maybe it’s cable. Not network!

Comment by Stacey – January 11, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since he says that “it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her,” I don’t think it will be House because he made it seem like the show will continue on. House cannot continue on with him and it is supposed to be it’s last season anyway.

The clues do point to Nick Stokes, but there has been no rumors that he is leaving unless the show fired him.

Comment by Whitney – January 11, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My gut says this has Bruce Campbell written all over it. All contract and renewal status’ aside, Campbell very well might be more popular than Jeffery Donovan and I, for one, couldn’t imagine Burn Notice without him.

Comment by Brandon – January 11, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, that would DEFINITELY be shocking. I’m watching Burn Notice since day one, even though I’m always a day late, since I’m from Austria, and even though they were all pretty much in danger so far, no one of the main characters has died… YET… I was always “waiting for it to happen” like, it’s pretty unlikely after all they are going through that they don’t have victims on the “good side”…

Yeah, I know, Max and so on (and I was sad because I loved him), but those were all “recurring” cast members, and the show could work without any of them…

as for Sam… it would be very hard to imagine (like for me it would be withouth Fiona and even Jessie grew SO much on me, but I wouldn’t consider Jessie as important as Sam, so…) the show without him, but it could/would work and it would be an interesting plot twist after all… and brave to kill of a main character…

Comment by Katrin – January 11, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Doubt it – Burn Notice is not really a hit series and Ausiello is not so into BN that he’d care so much. Still think it’s gonna be House or Wilson and the way the show’s sucked for the past 3 seasons, I can’t say I would be sad about either of them.

Comment by Jim – January 15, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a male and of the same level as the death on Boardwalk Empire. I could see them dumping Will Gardner (Josh Charles) from The Good Wife…not Eads from CSI….he’s not the primary focal point in CSI.

Comment by MartianTV – January 11, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Stokes from CSI. Aus has already answered that. House isn’t really a hit show any longer. It has to be someone Aus likes. Also the actor is someone that could be a jerk in real life. Can’t imagine Michael Weatherly (NCIS), Mark Harmon (MCIS) or Josh Charles (Good Wife) being a jerk. Matter of fact, I’ve met Mark Harmon and he is nothing but a gentleman.

What I’d like to know is a network or channel and when this is supposed to occur. Could we have another hint with these included?

Comment by The WB Frog – January 11, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it be James Wilson. He has become an annoying character this season and -if there is a season 9- i´d like House to find a new friend and enjoy fresh interactions.

Comment by Mike – January 11, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It can’t be Peter Burke of White Collar, can it? I mean, is WC a “hit Series”? Is it even consider a Drama Series? I’m not THIS familiar with the Genres of the shows, even though I might sound silly…

But this thought it could be Peter just doesn’t leave my mind… He is male, he’s a lead and the show is DEFINITELY not imaginable without him, but since Neal and he are having BIG trust issues and so on… who knows… that could get him killed, couldn’t it? Or am I just paranoid?

I thought about it for days now, and I think the show COULD work without him, since the “main thing” is Neal… and that could give a whole new perspective to the show… It would be a bold move, though, and really brave, becaues I’m not sure if the show COULD or WOULD work without the Neal/Peter dynamics, bt it COULD… I don’t really know… it’s still something barely imaginable…

Before today I also thought Theresa Lisbon (The Mentalist) could be some “good target” – especially after Patrick and she have some “big issues” too, and he could get her killed, but since it’s a guy, she’s off the hook as it seems!

Comment by Katrin – January 11, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is a little response from Tim Dekay, in the current on stand issue of TV Guide, asking if his guest appearance on Chuck meant that there would be no Season 4 of White Collar for him.

He said he isn’t going anywhere and looks forward to the start of filming season four of White Collar for next spring. So its not him.

Comment by Linda – January 12, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s male. I need something more. But given Ausiello is not happy about it. It has to be on his lists of favorites right. I can’t see it being HOUSE, because the show is on it’s dying legs and not even certain to be coming back. You would if it was someone from NCIS, we would be hearing about it given the success of that show. I can’t see them killing off Tony or Gibbs unless they wanted off the show. But this person doesn’t seem happy to be leaving. Michael in contract negotiations this year along with most of the cast except for Cote and Rocky. Maybe it’s McGee. But then he’s the most replaceable of the current cast. But then they have been known to kill off characters before. So how shocking would it be? So I need more to narrow down the list. Being male doesn’t tell me anything.

Comment by Stacey – January 11, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The twitter account for Chuck retweeted this article sometime after Ausiello first tweeted which made me think it must be someone on Chuck. I’m pretty sure it’s Casey, but really hope it isn’t!

Comment by Mabey – January 11, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t imagine it would be Chuck because there are only like 2 episodes left in the series!

Comment by LeAnn – January 13, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From yesterday’s Ask Ausiello:

“I will be revealing a pretty massive clue about [SPOILER]‘s identity in this space within the next 24 hours.” <— "this space" was linked to his Twitter page. All he revealed in his tweet was the character in question is male, which I do not consider to be a "massive clue" at all. I DO, however, consider the new background on his page – an image of Drs. Park, Chase, and Foreman from House – to be a much more massive clue. Think with your heads, people.

Comment by CJ – January 11, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think House will die, it’s the last season, they’ll kill him.

Comment by Pfiou – January 13, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex/Eric from True Blood. MA LOVES TB. I really want them to kill off Eric so I won’t have to watch this trainwreck any longer. They turned something so awesome into something so crappy. :(

Comment by Devon – January 11, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hadn’t thought about this possibility. It would be a suicidal move to get rid of him, so I’m not sure it’s plausible… YET, part of me would love it fore the same reason you stated. I would be finally able to let go of this show because as much as I’ve come to dislike it, I can’t stop watching as long as Eric’s there…

Comment by rosamund – January 12, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I had hoped MA was referring to Bill on TB instead of Eric. Technically, Stephen Moyer is a lead but wouldn’t it be great if he were “freed up” to direct and do other stuff? And coincidentally get the heck out of Eric’s way where Sookie is concerned? Just sayin’… ;-)

Comment by Jacqueline – January 13, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You guys being totally jerks!!! Eric’s the 1 makes the show!!!! W/o him,the show would be BORING!!!! & I don’t want to go back watching boring Sookie/Bill scenes. The show would be crash & fans will go outrage.

It’s Al Ball & writers’ fault that made this season cr**py because they made Bill into King & made him have a love triange w/ Eric & Sookie instead Werewolf Alcide. I think Bill should better kill off than Eric,he ruins the show.

Beside Alex signed on doing season 6,unless he want to broke his six-years contract to resuming his dream to becoming a Big-time movie star(he already is,because Melonogila. & his another movie,Battleship’s coming unless that movie sink at the box-office. Sorry,Alex). He is doing big in Hollywood & won a orscar. I hope it wasn’t Eric/Alex. But That would be sad to see Eric go & I would cancel HBO for that,he have to decide to leave the show. That’s I concened about. =(

Comment by Blissa – January 13, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… if Ausiello’s new background picture on his twitter is any indication – and that’s what it looks like right now – it looks like the Black Guy (I’m sorry, never watched HOUSE at all) to me…

Here’s Ausiello’s background picture:

And here’s the Original one:

So the picture on the left side of “House” might give the “main clue” of who it is and to me it looks like either the black guy or the other smaller one next to him…

Comment by Destiel – January 11, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s House, Wilson, or Don Draper.

Comment by Chike – January 11, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the picture could be a big clue, house’s head on the screen, but there was just a big FOX meeting, did you see the bones picture?
    maybe the “can’t picture the show without him” means that it is house and it will finally be laid to rest. I used to love house, but now its just painful

Comment by SonR – January 11, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m reluctant to think it’s a character on House. Remember they already killed off a lead a few years ago that was a complete shock…Kutner. I’m not sure they could pull it off again.

Comment by rachel – January 11, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet it’s Daniel from Revenge. That would be awesome.

Comment by lisa – January 11, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan from One tree hill
    Its been hinted its a male and the trailer for new series shows a male dead in morge but no face. Also James LAFFERTY wouldnt want his character to die as he has been it so long. would want nathan to be happy with is family

Comment by Loveless – January 11, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem to me with House, or One Tree Hill, both of which I’ve seen guessed multiple times is simply that Aus called it a “hit show”, which I’m not sure either qualifies for anymore; but more importantly, he queried how the show would continue w/o this actor and I simply cannot see why he would wonder that given that House is on the bubble as far as renewal goes and OTH is in its last season (This goes for any other show in its last season or clearly on the bubble.) The only way I could see House being the answer is if they killed Hugh Laurie’s character and Aus could then say what he said and mean, “How could they even think of renewing “House” if House himself is dead? But then, that doesn’t fit w/ the actor being mad, b/c I think Hugh Laurie would have the power to veto something like this. So to me, this BI oddly points to a PIVOTAL character, of a show LIKELY to return, wherein the actor may portray an important character but doesn’t have a lot of power (i.e. isn’t the main draw of the show, isn’t an executive producer, etc.).

Comment by Holly – January 11, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IT BETTER NOT BE Nathan from ONE TREE HILL!!!!

Comment by Jacqi – January 11, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ausiello has made it clear on numerous ocasions that he is NOT a fan of One Tree Hill. I sincerely doubt he’d consider Nathan’s demise to be “the spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.” Also, I don’t think OTH qualifies as a “hit drama series.”

Comment by Cheryl – January 11, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Am Going 2 Go With Chuck Bass From Gossip Girl. Final Answer

Comment by Starrrrrrrr – January 11, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching ncis la the past 2 weeks, im afraid with this male clue that the character in question is sam and ll cool j is being killed off.

Comment by steve – January 11, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to guess one of the leads from Person of Interest.

Comment by CJ – January 11, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As was pointed out above, he said it’s male, and his background on twitter is from House, but he has changed the picture to put his face on one side of House, and a shadowy outline on the other side. I think we have our huge clue!

Comment by AJ – January 11, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t mind me, just sitting here hoping it’s Chuck Bass

Comment by Stefan is my husband – January 12, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and me both.

Comment by Violet – January 14, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after watching this week and last week’s episodes of ncis, i think it’s going to be tony :(

Comment by demi – January 12, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t agree that its NCIS. This upset Ausiello (“And I’m not happy about it.”)and he’s never acted like a big fan of either Weatherly, Tony DiNozzo or NCIS. In the interviews Michael Weatherly has given, he has never seemed like an actor with an attitude. Neither has Mark Harmon or any of the actors on NCIS.

I’m more inclined to think it might be Criminal Minds or some other show.

Comment by The WB Frog – January 12, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very worried it is Rick from the walking dead.

Comment by Gp – January 12, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, that is not even possible. Rick is the main character in the comic. Killing him means no one, and I mean NO ONE, continues to watch that show.

It’s a character on House, he has already given us the clue.

Comment by AJ – January 12, 2012 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope you are right. Was really basing this on previous blind item about someone leaving the show (loyal to F Darabont) and the fact that A Lincoln was not at the series premiere and has kept a very low profile ever since.

Comment by Gp – January 13, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A.Lincoln isn’t the Darabont loyalist that everyone’s talking about.

Comment by Chandra – January 13, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just thought it is odd that the series lead is not doing any promotional work and the rest of the cast are popping up all over the place.

Comment by Gp – January 14, 2012 06:42 AM PDT
      • Not to down Rick b/c he is a pivotal character on the show and I like him, but honestly, Daryl would be more of a huge blow to the fandom than Rick. That being said, Rick is the series lead character, this is a series lead so IF (big IF) it were TWD, it’d be Rick.

That being said, there’s already a couple people from his group going bye bye, so to kill him too would be overkill.

Comment by Chandra – January 13, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it will be Mark Harmon on NCIS and we met his replacement in the last episode.. Nick, DC homicide detective who lost his wife in the episode..

Comment by Kevin – January 12, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Bowman from “Revenge” pure and simple. MA alluded to this once again in AA, saying he hoped TPTB would have changed their minds in light of the actor’s growing popularity. Remember, the character whacked on BE was NOT the central character but one of several important peripheral ones. The show did not revolve around that character, but yes, he/she was an important part of the plot. By comparing his Blind Item to BE, he is saying the same: an important character we’ve liked having around, but whose life was in jeopardy from the start. Similarly, I was always worried about the BE character being offed, he had a target on his back from the beginning, which only grew larger this season. The tension was there because he wsa always in danger.

Comment by queeerbec – January 12, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s House. Michael Ausiello has confirmed that it’s a male character. And on his twitter page, the background photo shows all the main cast members there in person surrounding an x-ray image of House. He’s not actually there with the rest of him, so he’s the one that dies.

Comment by Brendan – January 13, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is someone from House, but an even bigger bet is someone from TGW ( either Josh Charles or Chris Noth ), but in that case (TGW ) it would be strange since I know they all like the show/eachother so much!

Comment by Ingmar – January 13, 2012 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my dollars are going to foreman. he is chosen to die

Comment by lola – January 13, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if it’s Hank Moody from Californication?

Comment by silentj – January 14, 2012 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Sam from Supernatural? The show could definitely use a jolt of life.

Comment by Mike – January 14, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that his background tells us it is someone from House. I don’t think House is the one who dies though. House has always been a tragic character and to end it with him dying would actually be pretty fitting in my mind. Also, I don’t see Hugh Laurie being that angry about them killing him off. I think he would be okay with it. I think the one being killed is Wilson. Almost everyone who is a fan of the show loves Wilson. He is a very popular character who is pivotal to the show. House without Wilson is just wrong! They have an amazing bromance and the show wouldn’t be the same without that.

Comment by BeeRizz – January 14, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it’s not someone from Criminal Minds I’m happy. :) But after screwing with the show last year and the dramatic downfall of viewers I highly doubt they will mess with the show again for awhile. :D

Comment by mcleagan – January 14, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone on OTH is going to die but it isn’t Nathan I think it’s Dan. It would be stupid to kill off Nathan in the final season. I would lose all respect for Mark Schwahn for doing that to the fans. Besides he said we can expect some good Naley scenes by the end of the season.

Comment by beerizz – January 15, 2012 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boyd Crowder of Justified? “Big lump of coal.” Boyd was a coal miner. A lot of people like Boyd more than Raylan, not to mention that they have been set up to have some big conflict by the end of the series. It would certainly be shocking…

Comment by TB – January 15, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thought about Boyd, too. Would fit with what A us has said.

Comment by theWB Frog – January 15, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is definitely nick stokes on CSI. It should not be anyone from Chuck….Chuck is not a Drama.

Comment by Cobra – January 15, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And you are definitely wrong since Ausiello flat out said it was not Nick for CSI in Ask Ausiello.

Comment by AJ – January 15, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone consider Criminal Minds? It does do well in the ratings.

Comment by kathy – January 15, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hadn’t considered CM because the exec producer stated earlier this year everyone would be back on the show and no major changes would be made this year.

Comment by The WB Frog – January 16, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booth??

Comment by bridgette – January 16, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope I am just being paranoid but on a recent twitter to Alec Baldwin, Josh Charles joked that he hoped he got residuals for twitter as he would be out of work soon…. hopefully it’s not Will!

Comment by tgw – January 16, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea but he said its a drama..

Comment by bridgette – January 16, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did he forget about this? Is he ever going to give us another clue or tell us who it is?

Comment by B – January 17, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Educated guess: Gibbs from NCIS.

Comment by Melissa – January 17, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek Morgan from criminal minds….he’s a lead character..but not “the” lead character.

Comment by Hya – January 17, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post