Exclusive

Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Paula says:

Have you seen Ausiello’s background pic on Twitter?. It’s a character from House.

It better be Foreman. Not Wilson, please!!!

• Stephanie says:

It does look more like Foreman but I wouldn’t consider him a lead character. That doesn’t mean that Ausiello wouldn’t, though. Wilson isn’t exactly the lead either but it’s hard to imagine the show going on without him. If it has to be someone from ‘House’, I’d also rather it be Foreman.

• Mike says:

I hope it´s Wilson. No way i can stomach him anymore.

2. ggny says:

i doubt it Nathan said he could probably care less if he dies in the last season of OTH…The article says the person is pretty pissed off about it

Im gonna say Jeremy on TVD after last week it just looks like he isnt long for on that show

3. Curious says:

Hey, Michael or Matt, can you at least say if someone has given the correct answer since the latest clue? C’mon, be a sport. ;)

4. Ryan says:

Tyler on TVD is not incredibly popular it’s not hard to imagine the show without him.

I don’t watch House, but the only character I can think that is incredibly popular and hard to imagine the show without is Tony of NCIS. I’d be less likely to stick with the show without him.

• Stacey says:

Can’t see it being NCIS. They have been known to kill of leads before. Not that shocking. Although if it was Gibbs or Tony, a little more on the shocking scale. But still the show gets nearly 21 million viewers still to this day. They aren’t killing off anyone on NCIS.

Although everyone except Cote (Ziva) and Rocky (Vance) is up for contract renewal this year. But still, you would think they would want to keep them not kill them given the success of the show.

I also don’t think they would finally heating up Tony and Ziva again if they are planning to kill Tony. Although it would be shocking. But still, NCIS is famous for not being afraid to kill off a character. The show can go on without Tony, but it would be shocking if it was Gibbs. But I can’t see Mark wanting to leave. He seems grateful for the success of the show.

Now NCIS: LA. Both Chris and LL Cool J are the leads there, and Chris’s character Callen is sorta the leader of the group unofficially. It would be a very different dynamic without either. But the show is doing so well. I can’t see it being that show either.

If Broadwalk Empire is a comparison. Maybe it’s cable. Not network!

5. Whitney says:

Since he says that “it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her,” I don’t think it will be House because he made it seem like the show will continue on. House cannot continue on with him and it is supposed to be it’s last season anyway.

The clues do point to Nick Stokes, but there has been no rumors that he is leaving unless the show fired him.

6. Brandon says:

My gut says this has Bruce Campbell written all over it. All contract and renewal status’ aside, Campbell very well might be more popular than Jeffery Donovan and I, for one, couldn’t imagine Burn Notice without him.

• Katrin says:

Well, that would DEFINITELY be shocking. I’m watching Burn Notice since day one, even though I’m always a day late, since I’m from Austria, and even though they were all pretty much in danger so far, no one of the main characters has died… YET… I was always “waiting for it to happen” like, it’s pretty unlikely after all they are going through that they don’t have victims on the “good side”…

Yeah, I know, Max and so on (and I was sad because I loved him), but those were all “recurring” cast members, and the show could work without any of them…

as for Sam… it would be very hard to imagine (like for me it would be withouth Fiona and even Jessie grew SO much on me, but I wouldn’t consider Jessie as important as Sam, so…) the show without him, but it could/would work and it would be an interesting plot twist after all… and brave to kill of a main character…

• Jim says:

Doubt it – Burn Notice is not really a hit series and Ausiello is not so into BN that he’d care so much. Still think it’s gonna be House or Wilson and the way the show’s sucked for the past 3 seasons, I can’t say I would be sad about either of them.

7. MartianTV says:

It’s a male and of the same level as the death on Boardwalk Empire. I could see them dumping Will Gardner (Josh Charles) from The Good Wife…not Eads from CSI….he’s not the primary focal point in CSI.

8. The WB Frog says:

Not Stokes from CSI. Aus has already answered that. House isn’t really a hit show any longer. It has to be someone Aus likes. Also the actor is someone that could be a jerk in real life. Can’t imagine Michael Weatherly (NCIS), Mark Harmon (MCIS) or Josh Charles (Good Wife) being a jerk. Matter of fact, I’ve met Mark Harmon and he is nothing but a gentleman.

What I’d like to know is a network or channel and when this is supposed to occur. Could we have another hint with these included?

9. Mike says:

Let it be James Wilson. He has become an annoying character this season and -if there is a season 9- i´d like House to find a new friend and enjoy fresh interactions.

10. Katrin says:

It can’t be Peter Burke of White Collar, can it? I mean, is WC a “hit Series”? Is it even consider a Drama Series? I’m not THIS familiar with the Genres of the shows, even though I might sound silly…

But this thought it could be Peter just doesn’t leave my mind… He is male, he’s a lead and the show is DEFINITELY not imaginable without him, but since Neal and he are having BIG trust issues and so on… who knows… that could get him killed, couldn’t it? Or am I just paranoid?

I thought about it for days now, and I think the show COULD work without him, since the “main thing” is Neal… and that could give a whole new perspective to the show… It would be a bold move, though, and really brave, becaues I’m not sure if the show COULD or WOULD work without the Neal/Peter dynamics, bt it COULD… I don’t really know… it’s still something barely imaginable…

Before today I also thought Theresa Lisbon (The Mentalist) could be some “good target” – especially after Patrick and she have some “big issues” too, and he could get her killed, but since it’s a guy, she’s off the hook as it seems!

• Linda says:

There is a little response from Tim Dekay, in the current on stand issue of TV Guide, asking if his guest appearance on Chuck meant that there would be no Season 4 of White Collar for him.

He said he isn’t going anywhere and looks forward to the start of filming season four of White Collar for next spring. So its not him.

11. Stacey says:

It’s male. I need something more. But given Ausiello is not happy about it. It has to be on his lists of favorites right. I can’t see it being HOUSE, because the show is on it’s dying legs and not even certain to be coming back. You would if it was someone from NCIS, we would be hearing about it given the success of that show. I can’t see them killing off Tony or Gibbs unless they wanted off the show. But this person doesn’t seem happy to be leaving. Michael in contract negotiations this year along with most of the cast except for Cote and Rocky. Maybe it’s McGee. But then he’s the most replaceable of the current cast. But then they have been known to kill off characters before. So how shocking would it be? So I need more to narrow down the list. Being male doesn’t tell me anything.

12. Mabey says:

The twitter account for Chuck retweeted this article sometime after Ausiello first tweeted which made me think it must be someone on Chuck. I’m pretty sure it’s Casey, but really hope it isn’t!

13. CJ says:

From yesterday’s Ask Ausiello:

“I will be revealing a pretty massive clue about [SPOILER]‘s identity in this space within the next 24 hours.” <— "this space" was linked to his Twitter page. All he revealed in his tweet was the character in question is male, which I do not consider to be a "massive clue" at all. I DO, however, consider the new background on his page – an image of Drs. Park, Chase, and Foreman from House – to be a much more massive clue. Think with your heads, people.

14. Devon says:

Alex/Eric from True Blood. MA LOVES TB. I really want them to kill off Eric so I won’t have to watch this trainwreck any longer. They turned something so awesome into something so crappy. :(

• rosamund says:

I hadn’t thought about this possibility. It would be a suicidal move to get rid of him, so I’m not sure it’s plausible… YET, part of me would love it fore the same reason you stated. I would be finally able to let go of this show because as much as I’ve come to dislike it, I can’t stop watching as long as Eric’s there…

• Jacqueline says:

I had hoped MA was referring to Bill on TB instead of Eric. Technically, Stephen Moyer is a lead but wouldn’t it be great if he were “freed up” to direct and do other stuff? And coincidentally get the heck out of Eric’s way where Sookie is concerned? Just sayin’… ;-)

• Blissa says:

You guys being totally jerks!!! Eric’s the 1 makes the show!!!! W/o him,the show would be BORING!!!! & I don’t want to go back watching boring Sookie/Bill scenes. The show would be crash & fans will go outrage.

It’s Al Ball & writers’ fault that made this season cr**py because they made Bill into King & made him have a love triange w/ Eric & Sookie instead Werewolf Alcide. I think Bill should better kill off than Eric,he ruins the show.

Beside Alex signed on doing season 6,unless he want to broke his six-years contract to resuming his dream to becoming a Big-time movie star(he already is,because Melonogila. & his another movie,Battleship’s coming unless that movie sink at the box-office. Sorry,Alex). He is doing big in Hollywood & won a orscar. I hope it wasn’t Eric/Alex. But That would be sad to see Eric go & I would cancel HBO for that,he have to decide to leave the show. That’s I concened about. =(

15. Destiel says:

Well… if Ausiello’s new background picture on his twitter is any indication – and that’s what it looks like right now – it looks like the Black Guy (I’m sorry, never watched HOUSE at all) to me…

Here’s Ausiello’s background picture:

And here’s the Original one:

So the picture on the left side of “House” might give the “main clue” of who it is and to me it looks like either the black guy or the other smaller one next to him…

16. Chike says:

It’s House, Wilson, or Don Draper.

17. SonR says:

the picture could be a big clue, house’s head on the screen, but there was just a big FOX meeting, did you see the bones picture?
    maybe the “can’t picture the show without him” means that it is house and it will finally be laid to rest. I used to love house, but now its just painful

18. rachel says:

i’m reluctant to think it’s a character on House. Remember they already killed off a lead a few years ago that was a complete shock…Kutner. I’m not sure they could pull it off again.

19. lisa says:

I bet it’s Daniel from Revenge. That would be awesome.

20. Loveless says:

Nathan from One tree hill
    Its been hinted its a male and the trailer for new series shows a male dead in morge but no face. Also James LAFFERTY wouldnt want his character to die as he has been it so long. would want nathan to be happy with is family

21. Holly says:

The problem to me with House, or One Tree Hill, both of which I’ve seen guessed multiple times is simply that Aus called it a “hit show”, which I’m not sure either qualifies for anymore; but more importantly, he queried how the show would continue w/o this actor and I simply cannot see why he would wonder that given that House is on the bubble as far as renewal goes and OTH is in its last season (This goes for any other show in its last season or clearly on the bubble.) The only way I could see House being the answer is if they killed Hugh Laurie’s character and Aus could then say what he said and mean, “How could they even think of renewing “House” if House himself is dead? But then, that doesn’t fit w/ the actor being mad, b/c I think Hugh Laurie would have the power to veto something like this. So to me, this BI oddly points to a PIVOTAL character, of a show LIKELY to return, wherein the actor may portray an important character but doesn’t have a lot of power (i.e. isn’t the main draw of the show, isn’t an executive producer, etc.).

22. Jacqi says:

IT BETTER NOT BE Nathan from ONE TREE HILL!!!!

• Cheryl says:

Ausiello has made it clear on numerous ocasions that he is NOT a fan of One Tree Hill. I sincerely doubt he’d consider Nathan’s demise to be “the spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.” Also, I don’t think OTH qualifies as a “hit drama series.”

23. Starrrrrrrr says:

I Am Going 2 Go With Chuck Bass From Gossip Girl. Final Answer

24. steve says:

After watching ncis la the past 2 weeks, im afraid with this male clue that the character in question is sam and ll cool j is being killed off.

25. CJ says:

I’m going to guess one of the leads from Person of Interest.

26. AJ says:

As was pointed out above, he said it’s male, and his background on twitter is from House, but he has changed the picture to put his face on one side of House, and a shadowy outline on the other side. I think we have our huge clue!

27. Stefan is my husband says:

Don’t mind me, just sitting here hoping it’s Chuck Bass

28. demi says:

after watching this week and last week’s episodes of ncis, i think it’s going to be tony :(

29. The WB Frog says:

I don’t agree that its NCIS. This upset Ausiello (“And I’m not happy about it.”)and he’s never acted like a big fan of either Weatherly, Tony DiNozzo or NCIS. In the interviews Michael Weatherly has given, he has never seemed like an actor with an attitude. Neither has Mark Harmon or any of the actors on NCIS.

I’m more inclined to think it might be Criminal Minds or some other show.

30. Gp says:

Very worried it is Rick from the walking dead.

• AJ says:

LOL, that is not even possible. Rick is the main character in the comic. Killing him means no one, and I mean NO ONE, continues to watch that show.

It’s a character on House, he has already given us the clue.

• Gp says:

I hope you are right. Was really basing this on previous blind item about someone leaving the show (loyal to F Darabont) and the fact that A Lincoln was not at the series premiere and has kept a very low profile ever since.

• Chandra says:

Not to down Rick b/c he is a pivotal character on the show and I like him, but honestly, Daryl would be more of a huge blow to the fandom than Rick. That being said, Rick is the series lead character, this is a series lead so IF (big IF) it were TWD, it’d be Rick.

That being said, there’s already a couple people from his group going bye bye, so to kill him too would be overkill.

31. Kevin says:

it will be Mark Harmon on NCIS and we met his replacement in the last episode.. Nick, DC homicide detective who lost his wife in the episode..

32. queeerbec says:

Josh Bowman from “Revenge” pure and simple. MA alluded to this once again in AA, saying he hoped TPTB would have changed their minds in light of the actor’s growing popularity. Remember, the character whacked on BE was NOT the central character but one of several important peripheral ones. The show did not revolve around that character, but yes, he/she was an important part of the plot. By comparing his Blind Item to BE, he is saying the same: an important character we’ve liked having around, but whose life was in jeopardy from the start. Similarly, I was always worried about the BE character being offed, he had a target on his back from the beginning, which only grew larger this season. The tension was there because he wsa always in danger.

33. Brendan says:

It’s House. Michael Ausiello has confirmed that it’s a male character. And on his twitter page, the background photo shows all the main cast members there in person surrounding an x-ray image of House. He’s not actually there with the rest of him, so he’s the one that dies.

34. Ingmar says:

My guess is someone from House, but an even bigger bet is someone from TGW ( either Josh Charles or Chris Noth ), but in that case (TGW ) it would be strange since I know they all like the show/eachother so much!

35. lola says:

my dollars are going to foreman. he is chosen to die

36. silentj says:

What if it’s Hank Moody from Californication?

37. Mike says:

What about Sam from Supernatural? The show could definitely use a jolt of life.

38. BeeRizz says:

I agree that his background tells us it is someone from House. I don’t think House is the one who dies though. House has always been a tragic character and to end it with him dying would actually be pretty fitting in my mind. Also, I don’t see Hugh Laurie being that angry about them killing him off. I think he would be okay with it. I think the one being killed is Wilson. Almost everyone who is a fan of the show loves Wilson. He is a very popular character who is pivotal to the show. House without Wilson is just wrong! They have an amazing bromance and the show wouldn’t be the same without that.

39. mcleagan says:

As long as it’s not someone from Criminal Minds I’m happy. :) But after screwing with the show last year and the dramatic downfall of viewers I highly doubt they will mess with the show again for awhile. :D

40. beerizz says:

Someone on OTH is going to die but it isn’t Nathan I think it’s Dan. It would be stupid to kill off Nathan in the final season. I would lose all respect for Mark Schwahn for doing that to the fans. Besides he said we can expect some good Naley scenes by the end of the season.

41. TB says:

Boyd Crowder of Justified? “Big lump of coal.” Boyd was a coal miner. A lot of people like Boyd more than Raylan, not to mention that they have been set up to have some big conflict by the end of the series. It would certainly be shocking…

42. Cobra says:

I think it is definitely nick stokes on CSI. It should not be anyone from Chuck….Chuck is not a Drama.

43. kathy says:

Did anyone consider Criminal Minds? It does do well in the ratings.

• The WB Frog says:

Hadn’t considered CM because the exec producer stated earlier this year everyone would be back on the show and no major changes would be made this year.

44. bridgette says:

Booth??

45. tgw says:

Hope I am just being paranoid but on a recent twitter to Alec Baldwin, Josh Charles joked that he hoped he got residuals for twitter as he would be out of work soon…. hopefully it’s not Will!

46. bridgette says:

Yea but he said its a drama..

47. B says:

Did he forget about this? Is he ever going to give us another clue or tell us who it is?

48. Melissa says:

Educated guess: Gibbs from NCIS.

49. Hya says:

Derek Morgan from criminal minds….he’s a lead character..but not “the” lead character.