Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

Tags:

Comments (1,008)

• I heard or rather saw on a site that Bruce Campbell was leaving Burn Notice. I would be really disappointed if he left that show-I mean he is a main character (if you watch). They mentioned ‘spy’ too. Jeffrey Donovan’s character is the spy. They said he wasn’t happy with the way the person was being killed off.

Comment by BNFanatic – January 1, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure the show is even officially renewed yet for another season (or it has been barely renewed if so), no way they could be plotting those kinds of stories yet, could they?

Comment by Amber – January 3, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Burn Notice was renewed for Three Seasons last year.

Comment by Wil – January 4, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. It better not be Tony.

Comment by Elizabeth – January 2, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After last night’s abysmal ‘Housekeeping’ and that EJ lived and the heavy Tiva stuff and next week’s Ziva/Ray reunion I’m starting to think that this item might be about NCIS after all. I don’t want Tony and Ziva to be a couple – ever but I totally expected it to happen in the last season whenever that might be – so they didn’t get in trouble with Rule 12 – but in mid-Season 9? Doesn’t make any sense unless one of them is going to die and they want to give something to the Tiva fans so when it happens they have something to remember.

Comment by NoChance – January 4, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who will it be? Well out of the shows I watch…

Criminals Minds = No. After last season’s Preniss/JJ issues it will not happened. Although, as long as its not Rossi/Hotch I dont really care.

NCIS = I doubt it. I would cry my eyes out for, ooo, 3 days if anyone died. However, if they were to kill off a character without killing the show – Ducky (it better not be CBS!) or Vance would be sort of safe… but not okay.

NCIS LA = I doubt it. I love them all. I guess Nell would be a ‘safe’ but very wrong charater to kill. Are you reading CBS, leave her and the rest of the cast alone.

Bones = Possible. Booth/Bones would be stupid and kill the show. Cam/Sweets possible.

CSIs = I really think it’s one of the CSIs. They are all on their last legs. I think one of them will be cancelled at the end of the season. If I had to put my money on it, I would for CSI Miami, who I dont know.

Blue Bloods = I doubt it. But wow, if you want to add drama….

Person of Interest = No. Two main characters, and two sort of supporting. Also, until recently, its not hugely popular.

Hawaii 5-0 = Doubt it.

Castle = Doubt it.

Comment by Fen – January 2, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well it’s not Derek from Grey’s Anatomy because Ausiello just confirmed it in Ask Ausiello. I think it’s on a show like NCIS.

Comment by Krista – January 3, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have people ruled out someone from Pretty Little Liars?

Comment by Laura – January 3, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer. One of the twins dies, probably Siobhan and Bridget keeps up the facade.

Comment by Percysowner – January 3, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m starting to agree with those who have guessed Ziva from NCIS. It is a definite possibility, and we all know from experience that they are not afraid to kill of their characters (Caitlin), even though it has been a long time.

Comment by CJ – January 3, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Peter of Will from The Good Wife?

Comment by Luc – January 3, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been thinking Will ever since this was posted, and the latest AA isn’t helping :(

Comment by Elke – January 4, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really, really hope it’s not Will! Then I’d have one show less to watch.

Comment by nakedheat2356 – January 4, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really think it would be a stretch for Will to end up dead. The grand jury scooplet Ausiello had sure wasn’t implying that.

Comment by ultimate troll – January 4, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on the Grinch reference, I’m wondering if this could even possibly be Sue Sylvester????!!!!

Comment by RKB – January 3, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doubtful that it’s Sue – Glee isn’t a drama.

Comment by NoChance – January 4, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet’s on Karev from Grey’s Anatomy

Comment by Ashleah's – January 3, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually don’t think Karev is “important enough” so that the show couldn’t live without him, and that’s what Ausiello is almost pointing out… The show can very well exist without him, and personally – is totally imaginable without him… at least for me…

Comment by Katrin – January 11, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am super late to this party. I took a break from the internet over Christmas, now I gotta catch up on all the gossip. I guess Olivia Benson from SVU?

Comment by Amber – January 3, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another guess…I ALWAYS over think the clues, but going off the word “coal”, maybe Justified is the show? Coal mining is mentioned a lot on the show. Which would make me guess Winona or Boyd. I’m probably way over thinking it.

Comment by Amber – January 3, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey everybody leave Kenny alone he’s my boy.

Comment by Steve Outterbridge – January 4, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric Northman from True Blood.

Comment by media_savant – January 4, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are still in pre-production…some episodes have been written and sets have been designed, but i’m not even sure they have filmed a full episode. There is no way I can watch that show without him…no way!

Comment by Dana – January 5, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d be VERY shocked if it was Olivia from SVU. That show is already on its last legs and doing that would kill it completely. Plus the new showrunner knows this and loves Olivia. And NBC have said they are doing everything to keep Mariska on board. There’s no way they would get rid of Olivia after Chris left.

Comment by Laura – January 4, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one sentence most of us haven’t latched on yet: “I’m not happy about it.”

If Aus isn’t happy about it, then it must be a favorite character/actor of his… Hmmmm….

Comment by The WB Frog – January 5, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why I’m starting to think it’s Ziva. He seems to like her and I think he likes Tiva. If Ziva’s dead than Tiva dies with her.

Comment by NoChance – January 5, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chance it’s someone from The Mentalist? It seems that Patrick Jane’s going to pull a dangerous stunt regarding Red John. It wouldn’t surprise me if RJ killed one of the CBI’s to punish him.

Comment by Jenny – January 6, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw this Tweet. We can cross Benson off the list.

Mariska Hargitay is not leaving #svu, says Greenblatt. She’s getting a love interest in the spring

Comment by NoChance – January 6, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, he’s going to be played by Harry Conick, Jr.

Comment by NoChance – January 6, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan scot of one tree hill

Comment by maida – January 6, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be Nathan from OTH.. Or someone from OTH. Someone Haley loves considering the video clip released earlier today.

Comment by Littlegreenbugs – January 6, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. However is it considered a hit show anymore?

Comment by Russ – January 7, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And OTH isn’t really one of Aus’s favorites.

Comment by The WB Frog – January 8, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is OTH’s final season.

Comment by media_savant – January 8, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still no hints on Twitter or this thread?

Comment by The WB Frog – January 9, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it is not anyone from NCIS! Maybe Coach Sue from Glee? Since he said Grinch and she was the Grinch on Glee’s first (and only one I would like to remember) Christmas episode.

Comment by Lily – January 9, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will it be M grey of the greys anatomy?

Comment by Nth – January 10, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saul or Brody from Homeland.

Comment by Leslie – January 11, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Judging from your new Twitter background, I’m guessing the show is ‘House’. I don’t think it’s Hugh Laurie, though, since then there could not even be a possibility of a season 9. Therefore, my guess is Wilson.

Comment by Stephanie – January 11, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure all of the NCIS Cast has contracts through season 10 so I don’t think it’s them.

Comment by Steph – January 11, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys…it is obvious…Beth dies

Comment by Ruby – January 11, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the character is a Male

Comment by George – January 11, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so afraid it’s Daryl on The Walking Dead! I would stop watching.

Comment by Mary – January 11, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It ain’t Daryl. I just read that Norman Reedus was filming a movie, and after that, it was back to filming in Atlanta. So he’s on for at least another season. Yeah! I am worried about Jon Bernthal’s Shane though. I pray he ain’t goin’ no where! LONGLIVESHANE!!

It’s probably Nick Stokes from CSI, although I am surprised people still watch that show. I think I stopped after Gil left.

Comment by Babs – January 11, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m thinking it’s Shane.

Comment by Seanti – January 11, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Knew it wasn’t going to be a woman. I fear for Dinozzo’s life now.

Comment by AJ – January 11, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs, that is my best guess. He is the one main character that is so pivotal in story but doesn’t really have to be there to play the part… he’s a legend.

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – January 11, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it’s Booth from Bones.

Comment by Andrea – January 11, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a BAD feeling it will be Nathan Ford on “Leverage”! :(

Comment by Marvin – January 11, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not. I love Nate. I also hope its not Mozzie from White Collar. I know they shot him once before and he survived, but what if he gets killed this time trying to help save Elizabeth?

Comment by Linda – January 11, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thinking this must be TVD from the description, plus they need to make way for the family of originals that the show has been leading up to. I have a feeling the shocking character death will be Tyler, sorry to say. They could do really interesting things with his character with the new hybrid storyline, and his rocky romance with Caroline.

Stefan and Damon and Elena will never go anywhere as long as the show is on air. Alaric is not going anywhere with his bromance with Damon going on. Caroline and Bonnie I think are pretty safe as major parts of the impending storyline. Jeremy is already gone. Matt I think is safe as the token human. And Klaus is at the center of all the impending original stuff. So I think that sort of leave Tyler… :(

That and I think with the Damon and Elena stuff going on, they may be trying to make way for an eventual set up between Stefan and Caroline. Which could be interesting.

Comment by Kara – January 11, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello has just tweeted the character is male.
    So:
    - male
    - not Derek on Grey’s
    - not Nick in CSI
    Will in The Good Wife? Wilson in House? Dinozzo in NCIS?

Comment by Gillian – January 11, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do u know it’s not Nick? Did I miss that tweet?

Comment by Babs – January 11, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was in a recent Ask Ausiello post. Someone specifically asked if it could be Nick Stokes, but Ausiello ruled him out. He has ruled out Nick, Derek on Grey’s Anatomy, and anyone on The Vampire Diaries.

Comment by CJ – January 11, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He never said it was limited to the networks. Plenty of hit dramas on cable. The Walking Dead for instance. He said 2012 in general too. Might not even happen until the fall for all we know.

Comment by AJ – January 11, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He also said it isn’t anyone from Vampire Diaries in this weeks’ “Ask Ausiello”

Comment by LInda – January 11, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, the spy says that “there has been” tension on the set, which to me sounds as though they were still filming in December. Plenty of shows are still filming, but that may help in ruling some out…

Comment by Liz – January 11, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s nick (george eads) on csi. He said both nick and stoke in the original post.

Comment by Brittany – January 11, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ausiello already said it’s not him for the 500th friggin time.

Comment by AJ – January 11, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Wilson from House. Hate him

Comment by Albert – January 11, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tyler from Vampire Diaries or Shane from Walking Dead.

Comment by Filippo – January 11, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shane dies almost right off in the comics. It would hardly be shocking if he died on the show. They are building up to it though. It just wouldn’t be hard to imagine the show without him, considering he was nothing in the comics. Same with Daryl.

Comment by AJ – January 11, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not Daryl from Walking Dead. Reedus just did an interview with a Brazilian TWD fansite and when asked what he had coming up since finishing filming Sunlight Jr (in Decemeber) he said one of the things was going back to Georgia for the show.

Comment by Chandra – January 12, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOT SHANEEEEEE!!!!!!

Comment by Babs – January 11, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don Draper – Mad Men

Comment by J. Duncan – January 11, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … or Roger Sterling… or Pete Campbell…

Comment by J. Duncan – January 11, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Caruso’s character on MiamiCSI…I can see him being a jerk about it….

Comment by Pat – January 11, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was also thinking of Horatio (David Caruso) of CSI Miami; I think CBS has been wanting this show to die since it moved it to Sunday’s!

It better not be anyone from Criminal Minds (esp. Hotch)!

Comment by Karrie – January 11, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Part of me is insanely paranoid that it’s Reid on CM, and the latest clue hasn’t helped that paranoia. I know CBS wouldn’t be so stupid as to try and oust another main character from the show again, especially one that is arguably the big fan favourite, but you never know.

I just need a watertight reason or clue to stop worrying, if it is him I would cry for a year!

Comment by KW – January 11, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I follow all of the CM cast on Twitter and it seems like there’s zero tension on that set. They all get along and have a great time behind the scenes. (I act like I know them personally. Haha!) I think us CriMi fans are safe for now though!

Comment by Ashley – January 11, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It better not be Will Gardner. Please, let it not be Will Gardner.

Comment by Tami – January 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booth on Bones, the advertisements for Bones keep talking about how dramatic the season end will be, and I think the show is on its way out anyway. or House. I can tell it’s going to be a big surprise, I dont think Aus would make that big a deal of it if it were a semi-lead (ie Cam on Bones, Wilson on House)

Comment by Tasha – January 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Joe from Hawaii Five-0 I don’t why hahahaha!

Comment by Tanya – January 11, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really can’t see them killing Booth the way that Hart Hanson has been talking but maybe Hodgins? That would suck.

Comment by Linds – January 11, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Wilson on House.

Comment by Roni – January 11, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Casey will die in the finale of Chuck.

Comment by Mr Loiter – January 11, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to various clues from Ausiello himself:
    Male.
    Drama.
    Not from The Vampire Diaries
    Not Derek from Grey’s
    Not Nick Stokes from CSI

Glad it’s not Ziva, who was looking a strong possibility. I doubt it’s Tony or anyone from a freshman show. Better not be Booth from Bones. Or Gibbs from NCIS.

Comment by Kay – January 11, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael said it wasnt one of the big 3 from TVD he didnt say anything about the others so im gonna go with Jeremy it just seems like they are about to kill him off after what happened last week

Comment by ggny – January 11, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post