Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

Tags:

Comments (1,008)

• Derek Shepherd. The writers already said one would die if an actor wanted to leave and Patrick Dempsey seems to want to go.

Comment by Stacey – December 26, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Roger a long time ago. The clues here that would allude to that are the St.Nick since he was forced to play santa last season. Also, the show not being the same since he is the comedic relief.

Comment by Dana Aquino – December 26, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Danny from Hawaii Five-0? Seems like he has has air time since Lori joined the team.

Comment by Ldydncr – December 26, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kono also has less screentime since Lori joined (& I actually LIKE Lori). So, with respect, I don’t think that proves your point.

It’s NOT anyone from Hawaii Five-0. If it is, I won’t be very happy.

If it’s anyone on the show, besides Kono (I posted upthread that there’s been rumors since the end of last season that Grace Park has been missing her home country of Canada a lot, allegedly), it MIGHT be Lori. The fans haven’t really warmed to the character (though I like her). She’s technically a “lead” character, despite the fact the actress doesn’t appear in the opening credit sequence with the “core 4″ (Alex, Scott, Daniel & Grace Park) & Masi Oka.

Comment by H50Fan – December 26, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I had to guess I’d say Kono is the better possibility if anyone might leave.

CBS is kind of pushing Danny in all its new H-50 promos and we have a Danny based episode coming up.

Comment by H50-Fan – December 26, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Chuck from Gossip Girl! The pic reminds me of Westwick! Ed would be relieved and happy to go!

Comment by Sandra – December 26, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The pic remains nothing. That is just the standard pic he uses whenever he has a blind item.

Comment by Cinders – December 26, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barbara, from The View… (j/k)

Comment by Chris – December 26, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House. It’s something SHore would do to his creation. It will bring Lisa Cuddy to their final farawell with his kid in tow. Suicide by means of OD?

Comment by nitemar – December 26, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Derek Shepherd.

Comment by Sarah – December 26, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine from Glee.

Comment by Susanna – December 26, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McDreamy! Absolutley! They were in contract talks and Patrick Dempsey said this would be his last!

Comment by Pheebs – December 26, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, I’m thinking:
    Tension on the set
    Main character
    Probably a show which has to revise or die…

One of the Winchester Brothers on Supernatural.

Comment by Barb – December 26, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is Jared. I know someone who works at Warner Brothers. Sera Gamble is out too.

Comment by Kristine – December 26, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *Sera Gamble is out too*

is that really true? Only there has been a lot of speculation about why she hasn’t made any kind of comment about Misha coming back.

Comment by Louise – December 26, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t heard rumors of tension on the set, but who knows. If by some bizarre chance it is Jared and Sam is replaced by Castiel I would walk away and never look back. This is one case where I agree, I can’t see how the show goes on without EITHER brother.

Comment by Percysowner – December 26, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How ironic, since you’re one of the Septics who has spent the last three months hurling abuse at all the Casfans who stopped watching after 7-02.

Comment by Cody – December 26, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Supernatural only has two main characters, Sam and Dean. You can’t have a show without one of them. If Sam/ Jared Padalecki is killed off, we are left with 1 single main character, Dean. There is no way the show would survive.

I’m quite certain the show, including the producers, etc who I follow on Twitter, wouldn’t shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of one of the J’s.

Also, there is no way the J’s would continue without the other. Not only are they great friends who have been in it together since the beginning, but there is NO WAY either J could carry the workload by themselves.

Comment by Mae – December 26, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Also, there is no way the J’s would continue without the other.”

This never fails to make me laugh out loud. I think in practice you’ll find the J’s ability to pay their mortgages and support their families will be a lot more important to them than a friendship that has been blown up out of all proportion by the tinhat brigade. They have their own groups of friends and hardly socialize off-set at all – in fact, Jensen socializes more with Misha Collins these days than he does Jared.

Having already shot itself in the foot when it write out Misha Collins, the show would gutshoot itself fatally if Jensen was written out, but Jared’s proportion of the fanbase is minimal, and a show with just Jensen and Misha would do as well if not better than the show is currently doing with just the Js. I’s watch the hell out of it, having not bothered with many episodes at all this season.

Comment by Laura – December 27, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I see the tinhats are in the house. Regardless of what you may think you know about their relationships I seem to recall that both Js said they wouldn’t do the show without the other. That may be complete bunk but I’ll take their verbal confirmation over your wishful thinking any day.

Comment by Kit – December 27, 2011 09:53 AM PDT
        • Hey, I thought the character of Castiel was problematic at best and played out at worst. I never abused anyone for leaving after Castiel left. My opinion is once you stop enjoying a program, stop watching it. I was disdainful of people who went on and on about how the show was ruined when Castiel left (even though they claimed to have stopped watching it) and who crusaded to vote AGAINST Supernatural in the People’s Choice Awards, not because they liked the competition (or even watched the competition) but in order to make certain Supernatural lost because their favorite character was not longer on.

Watch Supernatural, don’t watch Supernatural, your choice. For me the show is about TWO BROTHERS fighting supernatural beings. If that changes, then most of the appeal of the show will be gone for me and I will stop watching. I won’t try to undermine the show because it hurt my feelings. I might participate in a campaign to return the missing brother, but probably not.

BTW, stalking me across the Internet is really creepy and slightly unhinged.

Comment by Percysowner – December 27, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • My reply was supposed to be to Cody. OOPS!

Comment by Percysowner – December 27, 2011 10:29 AM PDT
      • I smell a big fat lie right here.

Comment by JJ – December 26, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Think what you like, dear, it’s no skin off my nose – I don’t even watch the show. However I do have a friend who works in the legal department at WarnerBros, and that’s what she heard.

Comment by Kristine – December 26, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well I heard from a girl who works in the mailroom at CW who has a boyfriend that is a mailman in Vancouver and delivers their mail that Misha Collins was actually an alien. Truth!

Comment by Kit – December 27, 2011 09:58 AM PDT
      • “Sera Gamble is out too.”

Who would replace her? Will Kripke come back? If both Gamble and Padalecki are gone, will the show end or continue like The X-files with newer characters?

Comment by M – December 27, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Who would replace her?”

Actually Robert Singer has already replaced Gamble as Executive Producer and show runner.

Comment by lianne – December 28, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I thought Singer was Co-EP with Gamble, but Gamble was the real show runner, the one who plans stories, etc. When did Singer actually replace Gamble? Why has that not been made public?
            It’s odd, but recently with the news of Misha Collins’ return for an episode or two, no one from SPN made the announcement, but WB did. Is there some kind of vacuum at the top level as far as SPN is concerned? If Singer was showrunner, why didn’t he?

Comment by M – December 28, 2011 09:55 AM PDT
    • While “Supernatural” does okay I think describing it as a “hit drama series” is probably a long-shot.

Comment by Paul – December 26, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The image on the story looks like Jim Caviezel as “John Reese” on Person of Interest!!

I hope this is an unfortunate coincidence :)

Comment by db – December 26, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is what I thought as well

Comment by km – December 26, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could be chris o’donnall from NCISLA as his name recently turned up on not one but three cast lists—two for pilots and one for a movie

Comment by spuddy – December 26, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that Glee isn’t drama, but when I read about tension on the set – few days ago was published an article about “not so good” relationships between cast on the set of Glee. I wouldn’t wonder if they wanted to get rid off Lea Michele. Her character is going to graduate, she wouldn’t stay on the show anyway. She is supposedly leader of the revolt against Ryan Murphy. And she always tweets in not so subtle way about how much and how long they have to work.

Comment by Amanda – December 26, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it’s not anyone from Castle or Bones,I’ll survive.And I know that with such a small cast it’d be crazy for the writers to kill off one of the leads,but as the article actually mentions “pivotal character”, “it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her”, “laugh in the face of conventional wisdom” I guess anything’s possible.I just wish people would stop trying to fix something that’s not broken.I mean , if it were a show that has been running for a long time and is struggling with the ratings(House,Gossip Girl) or has contract renewal problems(Grey’s Anatomy) maybe I would expect this kind of move(so it won’t really shock me).What would really have me throwing things at my TV is a show with good ratings and a numerous fan-base pulling something like this.Does anyone know what Michael Ausiello’s favourite shows/characters are?(cause from what I read he won’t be happy about this death…)

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm… appropriately vague. Not even a cable or network clue to go by, since each outlet has it’s fair share of “hit dramas.”

Not even an “in a season finale” clue, so no speculation about actors whose contracts might be up for renegotiation this season, either (although contracts always have riders and clauses allowing the dismissal of any actor during the life of a show)

While I’m sure we all have our guesses, those that make some ecstatic and those that bring out the rabid hordes, we’ll all just have to wait and see.

Comment by Blix – December 26, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Probst!!! Wait…. Maxim Chmerkovskiy!!! Dammit….

Comment by wisconsin – December 26, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking NCIS too. It has an MO of killing off the major players in manor ways (Kate, Jenny). Would Ziva be too Kate-esque? DiNozzo leaving would deflate all the chemistry. Harmon, unless he wants to go, is a producer and calls the shots, so I doubt it’s him

Comment by scott – December 26, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt it’s anyone from NCIS. Besides, tensions on set are not typical for NCIS. Unless a cast member wants to leave (which I highly doubt. They keep emphasizing how much they love their job), they won’t kill any major player off.

Comment by Svenja – December 27, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon on VD (since it would go hand in hand with the books)
    Hodgins on Bones (that’d be a dramatic twist)
    Amy Pond on DW (since Karen and Arthur are leaving in s7)
    Sam on SPN (just writn’ that so all fangirls collapse)
    Klaus on VD (killing the whole ‘oh Klaus is sooooo bad’ storyline)

Comment by Max – December 26, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hodgins is a supporting character not a lead.The article says it’ll be a lead character.

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would say it’s Mariska Hargitay from Law & Order SVU

Comment by Zak S. – December 26, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vampire Diairies always kills people off so it wouldn’t be a shock. I think Derek on Grey’s Anatomy. It would shock people if they killed off Derek and there was no hope for a MerDer ending.

Comment by Carla – December 26, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Found this in an article posted in October:
    “Question: Just curious — what are your five favorite shows at the moment? —Julie
    Ausiello: That’s tough. There’s a lot I’m loving right now. How about I tell you the five shows I most enjoyed this past week: Homeland, Community, Happy Endings, Sons of Anarchy and The Good Wife.”
    Community and Happy Endings are both comedies so they’re out,and I know there are tons of other shows that may be MA’s favorites but it’s a start I guess…

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Might help to know what Ausiello considers a hit. One of the shows he loves or is it really a high Nielsen Ratings show?

Still need more data before guessing. Cable or Broadcast would at least narrow it down a bit.

Comment by NoChance – December 26, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah but in addition to saying it was a hit he also says, quote “And I’m not happy about it.” so I thought it must be one of his favorite shows.

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good point, TM. That probably eliminates both ‘NCIS’ and ‘NCIS: LA’ because it has to be something he’s a fan of himself not just a show he reports on.

So he likes ‘The Good Wife’ and it’s a relative hit – even with the move from Tuesday night. Who on that show fits the bill of “incredibly popular”?

Comment by NoChance – December 26, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Kalinda.

Comment by DL – December 26, 2011 03:22 PM PDT
          • Well, in my opinion for a show to be considered a hit, it would have to fall into at least one of the following categories:
            a)has been on air for a really long time without loosing its steam
            b)has decent ratings and is very well-liked by the critics
            c)it’s ratings have been through the roof
            Homeland and TGW would fall into category b) I guess. But there really is no way of knowing whether NCIS is one of MA’s favorites,unless somebody has the patience of going through hundreds of MA articles in order to find a word or two on his thoughts of the show.

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 03:32 PM PDT
          • NCIS fits both A and C but half of B.
            A. Came on in 2003 and it’s still going strong.
            B/C. Ratings are not just decent but are outstanding for a 9 year old series.

I still don’t think that it’s going to be NCIS. I know it doesn’t matter if contracts are all signed but I just can’t see the show killing any of the main cast off.

Comment by NoChance – December 26, 2011 03:40 PM PDT
          • Actually the reason why I wouldn’t put my money on NCIS is because it wouldn’t be all that shocking if they did kill somebody.What I mean is, NCIS has a history of killing lead and supporting characters so it wouldn’t come as a surprise(and the article says it will,so…)

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 03:49 PM PDT
          • TM,
            If it’s Ziva I think her fans would be floored and very sad that the show killed her off.
            I know I’d be devastated if it was Gibbs or Tony even though I was watching the night they killed off Kate and KNEW one of the major players was not going to survive the season finale that year.

That said, I really don’t think it’s going to be an ‘NCIS’ character.

Comment by NoChance – December 27, 2011 09:39 PM PDT
  • If they whack Meredith and/or Derek then I may watch tired, old Grey’s Anatomy again. My guess its someone from The Good Wife.

Comment by Kevin – December 26, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rick Grimes in walking dead? It’d be a pretty wild upset very common of kirkman

Comment by Dan – December 26, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think its Derek from Grey’s. I’m going to be heartbroken but I wonder what they will do with Meredith then.

Comment by Shiri – December 26, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually thinking Alaric on VD. It would be a terrible loss and really sad for the show, especially since I’ve read in interviews that Kevin and Julie know they have a better actor than what he’s been given to work with. He’s really been underused and ever since his stint as Klaus for two episodes has taken a backseat to the action. Plus, we also know that a VD character will be leaving in one of the first few episodes back after the hiatus. I wish I didn’t think this, I hope I’m wrong!!

Comment by T.S. – December 26, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think its hard to imagine TVD without Alaric though. I like the actor and character but I just don’t think he’s that central. From the way its worded I think it has to be someone that is one of the “faces” of a show.

Comment by kelsey – December 26, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is CSI really considered a “hit” drama anymore? It used to be a hit and is still successful but it got ousted from its prime Thursday 9/8c slot. It seems ridiculous they would get rid of ANOTHER lead & original cast member as well.

Comment by muffy – December 26, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d LOVE it if it was Douchtastic Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girl since he ruins the show for me. I know Penn Badgley would be thrilled since he’s been itching to leave for years and mocked the shows constantly. It would also break Ausi’s Bland loving heart. But unfortunately the Donut isn’t exactly hugely popular so I doubt it’s him. :( My guess is it’s Derek from Grey’s Anatomy. Shonda would have no problem denying the MerDer fans a happy ending. She’s ruthless like that.

Comment by Bella Waldorf Donut Fan – December 26, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE don’t let it be Reid from Criminal Minds! I know Gubler’s contract is almost up!

Comment by Katie – December 26, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No it won’t be Don Draper. Jon Hamm is signed on until the end of season 7 which will probably be the end of the show.

Comment by Dani – December 26, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Jenna. It is Nick from CSI. Not only BC of the 2 clues,but he also said it is as bold as the recent primetime loss meaning Katherine Willows.

Comment by Angela – December 26, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s interesting that the actor/actress is more upset with ‘how’ they’re being killed off rather actually being killed off itself, which makes me think that he/she knew they were leaving anyway. Either it’s an incredibly lame or just plain offensive.

Comment by Dani – December 26, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops sorry missed as this primetime loss was a link to another article. I still think it is Nick. I hope not though. Can’t afford to lose 2 main characters.

Comment by angela – December 26, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, you always kill me with your Blind Items because it’s never who I think/wished it was, or who regretfully wished wasn’t.

I hope is HOuse. But wished it’s not Brenda from The Closer who ends in 2012–I know Kyra is leaving..but we dont know if they are killing her off..

Comment by tahina – December 26, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think someone from Fringe…..Peter, Olivia or the dad….

Comment by Sabrina – December 26, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL Fringe. A hit drama series? I think not.

Comment by jenna – December 26, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Kalinda, Please! Know Archie had indicated earlier in an interview, she was planning on starting a family in a near future, but her hubby is in UK, so maybe she is planning moving back home? :(

Comment by nitemar – December 26, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could totally be Wilson, Robert Sean Leonard came into my work recently and seemed moody, then again it was morning and he was ordering coffee.

Comment by Tim – December 26, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Dempsey. no doubt.

Comment by Kay – December 26, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Patrick Dempsey is not the lead of Grey’s Anatomy and that’s what Ausiello is referring to in this blind item – the “lead” of a hit show.

Comment by Jamie – December 26, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It won’t be anyone from the Vampire Diaries, guys.
    A) that show is so shocking that it wouldn’t be unbelievable for any of them to die, and the only truly main characters (the brothers and Elena) can’t die, or else the premise of the show would too.
    I don’t think NCIS would actually go so far as to kill one of our beloved field agents – especially not Gibbs. If they did that, the show would flop and everyone knows it.

Comment by Annie – December 26, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The blind item stated “a major character on a hit TV show” not “lead” so this could be Derek on Grey’s. I hope so but I’d also be satisfied with him disappearing in the parking lot like all the other characters who left. Except George who got the Edie Britt treatment. There are no happy endings on Grey’s anyway.

Comment by Zola – December 26, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I hope it’s Emma from Once Upon a Time, because I really don’t like her character, lmao. Although, before I make my final decision of his getting offed, I need more info, Aus! Could you at least give us 3 possible networks the show is on?! Also, I am hoping that it is not a character on Revenge, although it could be….

Comment by Spencer – December 26, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please tell me it’s not Olivia Benson.

Comment by Zoe – December 26, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tony from NCIS. Isn’t michael weatherlys contract up.

Comment by Jordan – December 26, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably not. Michael, Pauley, Sean and David signed 3 year contracts between Seasons 7 & 8.

Comment by NoChance – December 27, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with those that are thinking Patrick Dempsey. Hmmmm, wonder how Derek will die.

Comment by Nadine – December 26, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please please please say it’s not from NCIS!

Comment by bexx – December 26, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s obviously Ted from How I Met Your Mother.

Comment by Brett – December 26, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How I Met Your Mother isn’t a drama.

Comment by Caroline – December 26, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Bishop. All the numbers line up in my head.

Comment by Ian L. – December 26, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im predicting Shane from Walking Dead. Ive read the comics and can’t wait to meet all the new characters and say goodbye to that ass. Also, i really hope it happens similar, furthering the twisted world they live in.

Comment by nora – December 26, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “incredibly popular” character description makes me think it’s Daryl from The Walking Dead. Killing Daryl off would certainly be bold, and I could see TWD going there, even if it would be wildly unpopular.

Comment by Andy – December 26, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Ginnifer Goodwin from Once upon a time, she is SO ANNOYING!!!

Comment by trann – December 26, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Dr. Bailey on Grey’s. Her contract is up and she asked to come back for limited episodes, but Shonda instead – likely as a warning to any other actors hoping to do the same – axed her. Bailey bites the dust in ep 19.

Comment by Mike – December 26, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post