Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

Tags:

Comments (1,008)

• Please let it be Jennifer Morrison from Once. I hate Emma.

Comment by Cara – December 26, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re probably the only one Cara. All the folks I know who watch OUAT love JMo as ‘Emma’.

Comment by Real Smith – December 26, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Emma is my favorite character on Once upon a time!

Comment by Amy – December 26, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate Emma too. She is so boring. I DVR the show so i can fast forward her scenes.

Comment by Lucas – December 26, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • emma is my fav

Comment by cate – December 26, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Emma and Jennifer,too. I hope the BI is not about her or OUAT.

Comment by Nora – December 27, 2011 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg. It’s gonna be Daniel Grayson (Joshua Bowman) on Revenge. :( :( :(

Comment by Lisa – December 26, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was supposed to be going. That’s not big news. Question though now is did they change that.

Comment by C – January 4, 2012 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Morgan or Spencer from Criminal Minds?

Comment by Linderella – December 26, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CM sure is incredibly popular, it is a drama but Shemar Moore did sign a contract last year, mind you it was never said if it was for one season or more so it could be him. It could be Gubler because from what I read his contract is up. That said, they are not the lead on CM that is Gibson and Mantegna and Brewster for the women and CM will not kill off Brewster’s character again! It could be Mantegna because his contract is coming to an end this season but I would be surprised as his character is not pivotal. Gibson got a contract for a season 8 so that is not him. But frankly killing off Reid would kill off CM!

I will go with what others have said, it is Nick Stoke from CSI because of all the clues in the blind item.

Comment by P&B – December 26, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate blind items. BOO!

Comment by Ariel – December 26, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree.

Comment by mes – December 26, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! They don’t even confirm what the blind item is on this site, after all the speculation is over.

Comment by Real Smith – December 26, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually I am pretty sure TVline *does* reveal who it is, once it happens on screen. I can’t think of a case when they didn’t, been reading Ausiello for years.

Comment by Danyelle – December 26, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There was a similar blind item back last may saying a show was “thinking” about killing off a lead character early this season but that was never answered. Maybe it’s the same show?

Comment by Laura – December 26, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Patrick Dempsey too. He said this is last season. He just doesn’t like the way he’s being written off?? But someone said Kyra Sedgewick said she was leaving. Anyone else hear that??? I find that hard to believe

Comment by Lee – December 26, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • maybe it’s madeline stowe?!
    kind of makes sense.
    killing victoria would be great revenge i suppose for amanda/emily.

Comment by katie young – December 26, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man…I hope it isn’t Jennifer Morrison on Once Upon a Time.

Comment by Amit – December 26, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It better not be someone from Grey’s.

Shonda, you can’t keep killing off doctors with lone gunmen and buses.

Comment by Dags – December 26, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, she can. She can also keep on killing the husbands/fiancés of the doctors even after stating she wanted to do something different. It’s obvious she’s running out of ideas since we’ve already had two recycled storylines from Season 2 this season, and it’s only been 9 episodes.

Comment by Christina – December 27, 2011 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the actor/actress already knows about the death and the whole event probably will be saved for the finale. So what shows are close to filming season’s finale?

Comment by Adam – December 26, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Says the spy”–maybe Fi or Sam on “Burn Notice?” Then again, I’m not sure if it’s considered a ‘hit’ anymore (I haven’t seen any of their ratings recently)or if they’d be considered ‘leads.’ Both characters are very popular to fans of the show though.

Comment by Brittany – December 26, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see that people are guessing a lot on someone from Grey’s Anatomy, but it better not, I would not be even remotely happy with anyone leaving. Please don’t let it be, I hope its from a show I don’t watch.

Comment by juan – December 26, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim Caveziel on Person of Interest

I would be pretty ticked but it would certainly shake up the show.

Comment by Chris L – December 26, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HELL NO!!! I love that show and Jim is awesome! The best kickass guy to adorn network television since Dean Winchester!!

Comment by Real Smith – December 26, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The answer lies in that Mr Ausiello considers to be a Hit. Top 10? Top 20? Personal Favorite.
    Also might depend on the interpretation of “lead” – the word in the article title. And who he considers “major” and “incredibly popular”.

No guesses – yet. Too many variables (as always). Need to wait until he drops a clue (or makes eliminations).

Comment by NoChance – December 26, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rolls eyes at self. “What” not “That”. And I forgot the ? at the end of “Personal Favorite?”.

Comment by NoChance – December 26, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is Dr. Derek Mc’Dreamy Shepherd … he wanted to go off Grey’s earlier this year… so most probably it’s him!

Comment by Rax – December 26, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia from “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.” The show is burning down like a ring of fire anyway.

Comment by Yolanda – December 26, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, it could be Nick from CSI, because of the ‘stoke’ and ‘St. Nick’, but I’m not sure I see them doing that since we’re losing Marg soon. Then again, I’d put nothing past them…
    More clues please =)
    Unless I hear something else I’m going to say it’s Patrick Demsey

Comment by mes – December 26, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm….Could it be someone on Mad Men?

Comment by Princessa – December 26, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had that thought too and it scared the pants off me. If Don or Peggy were to die, I couldn’t take it.

Comment by ldnblkfb – December 26, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mad Men is my thought- Roger alreeady had heart problems and Joan could die in child birth.

Comment by Francesca – December 27, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way too easy. He says Stoke and St Nick in the tease. Nick Stokes = CSI

Comment by Nessa – December 26, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kalinda or Will Gardner on The Good Wife. Det. Linden on The Killing. Boyd Crowder on Justified. Those are my best guesses. I could also see Victoria Grayson on Revenge. That would be shocking and controversial.
      I do think Nick Stokes is a possibility based on the clues people are citing, but I wonder if that’s too obvious; the clues could be red herrings planted to mislead us. I don’t know if he can really be considered a “pivotal character” and whether it would be “tough to imagine the show without him.”

Comment by DL – December 26, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That said, I would be sad if it was Stokes. He’s been my favorite character on CSI since Bill Petersen’s departure.

Comment by DL – December 26, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t think it’s Meredith. More likely to be Derek. Dempsey has been rather vocal this season so they may stick it to him. Hehe

Comment by Holly – December 26, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Dempsey’s contract is up after this season. That’s my guess.

Comment by John F. – December 26, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate to say it, but Peter from Fringe.

Comment by shaun – December 26, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speaking as a “Fringe” fan … it’s NOT a hit. Ought to be, but isn’t. Also, the show is likely to be canceled at year’s end, so why would they bother?

Comment by Yankee – December 26, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish it were either Finn or Blaine from Glee. I can’t decide which of these two characters is more terrible.

Comment by Michaela – December 26, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it’s Walking Dead related (gut feeling). Probably the male character mentioned above for reasons mentioned above, but don’t go based on the comic material. Sophia is still alive and well as of the most recent trade paperback (which I know is within a few issues of the monthly version), so just because someone’s alive or dead in the comic doesn’t mean they’ll make it in the show.

Hell, it could be Rick that buys it. Wasn’t he hand-picked by Darabont to join the cast? That would mindf**k all the comic readers too.

Comment by Matt A. – December 26, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it’s no one from NCIS…

Comment by Lucia – December 26, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s Gibbs on NCIS I will be majorly ticked. They killed off Kate so they might be willing to do this, too.

How bout Mariska Hargitay on SVU?

Comment by AuntieMM – December 26, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The picture looks like Jim Cavezil from Person of Interest. What would Michael Emerson’s character do without his human weapon?

Comment by David – December 26, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That same picture (I think it’s Ausiello himself) is used for every blind item, so…

Comment by Danyelle – December 26, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be an ensemble show alas Grey’s Anatomy, it would be suicide to kill half of the team in a show with a couple on the lead alas Bones or Castle, IMHO.

Comment by Sarah – December 26, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fake Amanda – Revenge

Comment by Sophiiblu – December 26, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think its either Meredith or Derek from Grey’s. Ausiello says he’s not happy about it and when has he ever seemed to care about either? Besides, one or both are could be leaving anyway and everyone knows it so why even bother with a blind item if its them?

I think its someone from The Good Wife or NCIS.

Comment by Denise – December 26, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’s Derek either. I don’t think Ausiello really LOVES anyone on that show and I wouldn’t call it popular anymore. Plus I can vaguely remember reading in a spoiler chat on this site that even if Patrick wasn’t a series regular next season, he would still be back in some capacity. Unless negotiations changed dramatically, I don’t think it’s him. Also, if Meredith left the show, it would still techincally work with Lexie as a lead. I think it’s someone from a show like NCIS, etc.

Comment by Krista – December 26, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Kings would be taking a HUGE risk if they killed off anyone from TGW and I don’t really think they’d go there – they like to pack subtle punches and are big on gut-wrenching emotional turmoil …if they kill off a major character now, they’d get one great moment out of it, but there’s no longevity. They like to drive the plot forward and I’m not sure what agenda that would further. I also think that the most likely characters to be affected (because it could never be Alicia), all have solid reasons why it wouldn’t be them.

Diane – not enough of an emotional punch; she isn’t close enough to any of the characters for it to affect them in a dramatic enough way. And if the Kings were going to do it, they would make it hurt.

Will – definitely packs the emotional punch, but they’ve been busy working on his SA investigation. What would really be the point in killing him off? Sure it would affect Alicia, but keeping him around will probably affect her more.

Kalinda – this would pack the biggest emotional punch and has so much room for tragedy (which you know the King’s love). Have them work things out only to kill her off and crush Alicia all over again? It’s definitely something I could see them doing, but they already played that card last season when they pulled the rug out from under us. I doubt they’d go there twice with that relationship so soon.

All that being said, I’m terrified it is TGW – this show definitely has some characters in danger and worse yet, we know Ausiello has an attachment. Keeping my fingers crossed the Kings won’t go there.

Comment by C – December 27, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Derek from Greys anatomy

Comment by Rachael – December 26, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think its Derek because the article says that the actor playing the character is not happy and Patrick Dempsey has been wanting to leave for a while….

Comment by Babygate – December 26, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The article doesn’t say he/she isn’t happy to leave…It says they aren’t happy with the way they are being send off.

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Patrick Dempsey also. The Jan. 2nd TV Guide has a short article with a quote from Patrick saying “The question is will I do a full season, a half season or come back at all?”.

Comment by Kelly – December 26, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh I’m going for VD or Gossip girl! Elena from VD and Chuck from GossipGirl!
    Elena it’s got bored this crazy love triangle cause the writers forcing DElena to much and it’s just not working!!
    Chuck! Come on he should die a while a go! DAIR forever!

Comment by Maki – December 26, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Delena isn’t working? What the hell are you watching??? because it certainly isn’t TVD! And REALLY I’m sure Nina LOVES getting to kiss her boyfriend on set! (meaning Ian, not Paul who’s married)

Comment by Deena – January 3, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andrew Lincoln aka Rick from TWD. Now, wouldn’t that be something?

Comment by theusher – December 26, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Ryan seacrest.

Comment by Brent – December 26, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Jared from Supernatural.

Comment by Kristine – December 26, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please let it be Meredith Grey!

Comment by Sam – December 26, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bobby From Supernatural

Comment by Colin – December 26, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bobby from Supernatural would make sense given the position they left him in. Speculation is that he will remain as a ghost, so that would mean the character would shake things up because he doesn’t go quietly into the night.

Comment by Crowley_Gal – December 26, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Beckett from “Castle” — no doubts. She’s been a huge PITA behind the scenes since the beginning; the whole “death scare” cliffhanger was meant to shock her into better behavior. Hasn’t worked. She’s out. The fans love Nathan Fillion and the showrunners are counting on them sticking with him and some new ladylove.

Comment by Yankee – December 26, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome. I love that show, but I can’t stand Stana Katic or her character. She can’t act. They could conceivably get Castle and Beckett together just before they kill her off, and then he’d focus on finally solving her mother’s murder in her memory.

Comment by CJ – December 26, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She can’t act? What show are you watching? She’s a great actress.
        And @Yankee – If you’ve been following the Law Enforcement Crushes poll, Stana/Kate Beckett has won the entire female bracket, so the fans (including me) love her too. Plus I’ve never heard anything indicating she’s difficult. Every interview I’ve read indicates much love amongst the cast.
        Where in the world are you getting your information?

Comment by DL – December 26, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I will admit that she has had some episodes where she absolutely shines – case in point, the most recent season finale. But she has a lot of episodes where, to me anyway, her emotions are incredibly forced and she is just not believable.

Comment by CJ – December 26, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to admit that this would fulfill two of the clues given in the link to “Boardwalk Empire” — the death would be that of a “co-lead” and potentially motivated by behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

Comment by Ilsa – December 26, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could see this.

Comment by SnazzyO – December 27, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just read this in an article :
      ” Last season’s Castle finale was, for yours truly, the best episode of the series. So how does one top that? Simple: You don’t. “You try to do something different,” clarifies Marlowe. “If you’re doing the same thing, only better, it still gets a little bit familiar. We always like to keep the audience a little bit on their toes, so we’re conceiving the last couple of episodes — what can we do that’s really compelling in a way we haven’t explored on the show yet?” ”
      So I doubt they would kill off a character again in season 4, since they are saying they are doing something different.

Comment by TM – January 7, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, can u at least tell us if its cable or network? As long as its no one in Greys Anatomy, it would be fine with me. I’m sure it won’t be anyone on Castle or OUAT. Could it be Revenge? Seems to be like it might be time for that grifter friend of Daniel’s to leave. He is a scoundrel.

Comment by Babygate – December 26, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it isn’t Kalinda or Alicia from GW or Don Draper in Mad Men, I’ll probably survive. Refilling my Valium, just to be on the safe side!

Comment by Jan – December 26, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Praying it’s Chuck Bass

Comment by Laura – December 26, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A part of me thought it was Once Upon a Time, because that show is my new obsession. But Jennifer Morrison is pretty integral to the story being able to go forward…maybe I’m just being paranoid

Comment by JDHetherington – December 26, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thinking it’s someone on Hawaii Five0, Danno maybe? Chin?

Comment by Answerman123 – December 26, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs??? he’s already doing other things in his off time.

Comment by brownie – December 26, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t believe it’s Gibbs for even a second. Mark filmed ‘Certain Prey’ during the Summer hiatus and just last February signed on through the end of Season 10 and became an Executive Producer of the show as well.

Comment by NoChance – December 26, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don Draper from Mad Men was the first character I thought of.

Comment by Candice – December 26, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mentioned the same thing a few posts ago. Not him by name, but maybe someone from that show.

Comment by Princessa – December 26, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Derek from Grey’s. Dempsey in TVGuide saying he may not return, biting the hand that feeds him by saying the musical was a mistake – now they’ll just kill him off now and not worry about next season.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 26, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they can’t get BOTH Ellen & Patrick back, I think they would kill the one that’s not returning. How do you make either Derek or Meredith move on? The other has to be dead.

I can see it being from Grey’s.

I’d LOVE it if they’d kill Kate Beckett off. I watch castle for Nathan Fillion. And I don’t see any use in the Beckett character. Any female cop will do. Beckett is annoying and needy and always teasing Rick. She tries to make him her puppy dog.

Case could go on with out Beckett. I’d love for them to just get rid of her.

Comment by Maria – December 26, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Many people love Beckett, myself included. My whole family watches Castle for the chemistry between the two characters, not just for Nathan Fillion in a vacuum.

Comment by DL – December 26, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it could go on without Beckett. Surely, without Beckett, Castle has no reason to be working with the NYPD anymore and boom!, there goes the whole premise for the show.

Comment by Kate – December 27, 2011 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are we watching the same show, really? For me, Kate Beckett is the most interesting character, not only on “Castle”, but on TV in general these days. And my favourite character on “Castle”. The second she’s gone, I quit watching. Andrew Marlowe knows it very well that Kate/Stana has a HUGE fanbase and her departure would be the DEATH of the show.

Comment by Katarzyna – December 27, 2011 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I respect your opinion, I really do. I just really can’t imagine how anybody could think of Beckett as an interesting character. She’s so basic and unoriginal, a bunch of cliches on heels. They had a chance to make her into something more interesting in season 1, I remember she used to have some quirks, being awkward and selfconcious and tomboyish (and looking more like a cop). Now she’s this ridiculously badass perfection everybody is flailing over for no apparent reason, I can’t even.. Bueeehh

Comment by kaboom – December 28, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please don’t let it be Kalinda!! :(
    But I don’t think is someone from The Good Wife. “Hit drama series” and “incredible popular character” sounds like it’s a show for a younger audience…

Comment by Carol – December 26, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think probably Grey’s Anatomy. probably a dude. if it’s Fringe i’m gonna be PIIIIIIIISSSSSSEEEEEDDDDDDDD.

Comment by cj – December 26, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think its Castle because while the main character is Castle, Beckett is just as important. It would not be very smart to get rid of such a key player. If so, I will stop watching.

Comment by silvrblck – December 26, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I would not watch Castle without Beckett. Plus killing her would make no sense because the entire show is predicated on the conceit that Castle needs her as his muse for Nikki Heat, and the Castle character would never continue Nikki Heat if Beckett was killed, or even create a new character based on some new female detective. It would be totally ridiculous.

Comment by DL – December 26, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would hate it if they killed Beckett,but if they did, I have a couple of ideas as to why they did it and where they would be headed…

Comment by TM – December 26, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nowhere for me, ’cause I would stop watching the show. Stana/Kate is the reason I’m watching “Castle”.

Comment by Katarzyna – December 27, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • What I meant was that I could see what story arc they would be trying to put into motion by killing off Beckett(with Beckett killed Castle will go to any lengths to make the person responsible pay, pretty much like Beckett is doing now because of her mother’s murder,so it’d be like passing the baton in a way,but then I can’t imagine the show going back to funny and lighthearted,and then it wouldn’t be the same show anymore,would it?).But as I said,I hope it doesn’t happen,cause people would probably stop watching the second she flat-lines again.

Comment by TM – December 27, 2011 12:43 PM PDT
          • And PS: I wouldn’t blame them…

Comment by TM – December 27, 2011 12:45 PM PDT