Exclusive

Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Cara says:

Please let it be Jennifer Morrison from Once. I hate Emma.

2. Lisa says:

Omg. It’s gonna be Daniel Grayson (Joshua Bowman) on Revenge. :( :( :(

3. Linderella says:

Morgan or Spencer from Criminal Minds?

• P&B says:

CM sure is incredibly popular, it is a drama but Shemar Moore did sign a contract last year, mind you it was never said if it was for one season or more so it could be him. It could be Gubler because from what I read his contract is up. That said, they are not the lead on CM that is Gibson and Mantegna and Brewster for the women and CM will not kill off Brewster’s character again! It could be Mantegna because his contract is coming to an end this season but I would be surprised as his character is not pivotal. Gibson got a contract for a season 8 so that is not him. But frankly killing off Reid would kill off CM!

I will go with what others have said, it is Nick Stoke from CSI because of all the clues in the blind item.

4. Ariel says:

Hate blind items. BOO!

5. Lee says:

I’m thinking Patrick Dempsey too. He said this is last season. He just doesn’t like the way he’s being written off?? But someone said Kyra Sedgewick said she was leaving. Anyone else hear that??? I find that hard to believe

6. katie young says:

maybe it’s madeline stowe?!
    kind of makes sense.
    killing victoria would be great revenge i suppose for amanda/emily.

7. Amit says:

Man…I hope it isn’t Jennifer Morrison on Once Upon a Time.

8. Dags says:

It better not be someone from Grey’s.

Shonda, you can’t keep killing off doctors with lone gunmen and buses.

• Christina says:

Yes, she can. She can also keep on killing the husbands/fiancés of the doctors even after stating she wanted to do something different. It’s obvious she’s running out of ideas since we’ve already had two recycled storylines from Season 2 this season, and it’s only been 9 episodes.

9. Adam says:

So the actor/actress already knows about the death and the whole event probably will be saved for the finale. So what shows are close to filming season’s finale?

10. Brittany says:

“Says the spy”–maybe Fi or Sam on “Burn Notice?” Then again, I’m not sure if it’s considered a ‘hit’ anymore (I haven’t seen any of their ratings recently)or if they’d be considered ‘leads.’ Both characters are very popular to fans of the show though.

11. juan says:

I see that people are guessing a lot on someone from Grey’s Anatomy, but it better not, I would not be even remotely happy with anyone leaving. Please don’t let it be, I hope its from a show I don’t watch.

12. Chris L says:

Jim Caveziel on Person of Interest

I would be pretty ticked but it would certainly shake up the show.

• Real Smith says:

HELL NO!!! I love that show and Jim is awesome! The best kickass guy to adorn network television since Dean Winchester!!

13. NoChance says:

The answer lies in that Mr Ausiello considers to be a Hit. Top 10? Top 20? Personal Favorite.
    Also might depend on the interpretation of “lead” – the word in the article title. And who he considers “major” and “incredibly popular”.

No guesses – yet. Too many variables (as always). Need to wait until he drops a clue (or makes eliminations).

14. Rax says:

My guess is Dr. Derek Mc’Dreamy Shepherd … he wanted to go off Grey’s earlier this year… so most probably it’s him!

15. Yolanda says:

Olivia from “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.” The show is burning down like a ring of fire anyway.

16. mes says:

Honestly, it could be Nick from CSI, because of the ‘stoke’ and ‘St. Nick’, but I’m not sure I see them doing that since we’re losing Marg soon. Then again, I’d put nothing past them…
    More clues please =)
    Unless I hear something else I’m going to say it’s Patrick Demsey

17. Princessa says:

Hmmm….Could it be someone on Mad Men?

18. Nessa says:

Way too easy. He says Stoke and St Nick in the tease. Nick Stokes = CSI

• DL says:

Kalinda or Will Gardner on The Good Wife. Det. Linden on The Killing. Boyd Crowder on Justified. Those are my best guesses. I could also see Victoria Grayson on Revenge. That would be shocking and controversial.
      I do think Nick Stokes is a possibility based on the clues people are citing, but I wonder if that’s too obvious; the clues could be red herrings planted to mislead us. I don’t know if he can really be considered a “pivotal character” and whether it would be “tough to imagine the show without him.”

19. Holly says:

Don’t think it’s Meredith. More likely to be Derek. Dempsey has been rather vocal this season so they may stick it to him. Hehe

20. John F. says:

Patrick Dempsey’s contract is up after this season. That’s my guess.

21. shaun says:

Hate to say it, but Peter from Fringe.

• Yankee says:

Speaking as a “Fringe” fan … it’s NOT a hit. Ought to be, but isn’t. Also, the show is likely to be canceled at year’s end, so why would they bother?

22. Michaela says:

I wish it were either Finn or Blaine from Glee. I can’t decide which of these two characters is more terrible.

23. Matt A. says:

I’m thinking it’s Walking Dead related (gut feeling). Probably the male character mentioned above for reasons mentioned above, but don’t go based on the comic material. Sophia is still alive and well as of the most recent trade paperback (which I know is within a few issues of the monthly version), so just because someone’s alive or dead in the comic doesn’t mean they’ll make it in the show.

Hell, it could be Rick that buys it. Wasn’t he hand-picked by Darabont to join the cast? That would mindf**k all the comic readers too.

24. Lucia says:

As long as it’s no one from NCIS…

25. AuntieMM says:

If it’s Gibbs on NCIS I will be majorly ticked. They killed off Kate so they might be willing to do this, too.

How bout Mariska Hargitay on SVU?

26. David says:

The picture looks like Jim Cavezil from Person of Interest. What would Michael Emerson’s character do without his human weapon?

27. Sarah says:

It has to be an ensemble show alas Grey’s Anatomy, it would be suicide to kill half of the team in a show with a couple on the lead alas Bones or Castle, IMHO.

28. Sophiiblu says:

Fake Amanda – Revenge

29. Denise says:

I don’t think its either Meredith or Derek from Grey’s. Ausiello says he’s not happy about it and when has he ever seemed to care about either? Besides, one or both are could be leaving anyway and everyone knows it so why even bother with a blind item if its them?

I think its someone from The Good Wife or NCIS.

• Krista says:

I don’t think it’s Derek either. I don’t think Ausiello really LOVES anyone on that show and I wouldn’t call it popular anymore. Plus I can vaguely remember reading in a spoiler chat on this site that even if Patrick wasn’t a series regular next season, he would still be back in some capacity. Unless negotiations changed dramatically, I don’t think it’s him. Also, if Meredith left the show, it would still techincally work with Lexie as a lead. I think it’s someone from a show like NCIS, etc.

• C says:

I think the Kings would be taking a HUGE risk if they killed off anyone from TGW and I don’t really think they’d go there – they like to pack subtle punches and are big on gut-wrenching emotional turmoil …if they kill off a major character now, they’d get one great moment out of it, but there’s no longevity. They like to drive the plot forward and I’m not sure what agenda that would further. I also think that the most likely characters to be affected (because it could never be Alicia), all have solid reasons why it wouldn’t be them.

Diane – not enough of an emotional punch; she isn’t close enough to any of the characters for it to affect them in a dramatic enough way. And if the Kings were going to do it, they would make it hurt.

Will – definitely packs the emotional punch, but they’ve been busy working on his SA investigation. What would really be the point in killing him off? Sure it would affect Alicia, but keeping him around will probably affect her more.

Kalinda – this would pack the biggest emotional punch and has so much room for tragedy (which you know the King’s love). Have them work things out only to kill her off and crush Alicia all over again? It’s definitely something I could see them doing, but they already played that card last season when they pulled the rug out from under us. I doubt they’d go there twice with that relationship so soon.

All that being said, I’m terrified it is TGW – this show definitely has some characters in danger and worse yet, we know Ausiello has an attachment. Keeping my fingers crossed the Kings won’t go there.

30. Rachael says:

I’m thinking Derek from Greys anatomy

• Babygate says:

I don’t think its Derek because the article says that the actor playing the character is not happy and Patrick Dempsey has been wanting to leave for a while….

31. Kelly says:

I think Patrick Dempsey also. The Jan. 2nd TV Guide has a short article with a quote from Patrick saying “The question is will I do a full season, a half season or come back at all?”.

32. Maki says:

Uh I’m going for VD or Gossip girl! Elena from VD and Chuck from GossipGirl!
    Elena it’s got bored this crazy love triangle cause the writers forcing DElena to much and it’s just not working!!
    Chuck! Come on he should die a while a go! DAIR forever!

• Deena says:

Delena isn’t working? What the hell are you watching??? because it certainly isn’t TVD! And REALLY I’m sure Nina LOVES getting to kiss her boyfriend on set! (meaning Ian, not Paul who’s married)

33. theusher says:

Andrew Lincoln aka Rick from TWD. Now, wouldn’t that be something?

34. Brent says:

I think it’s Ryan seacrest.

35. Kristine says:

It’s Jared from Supernatural.

36. Sam says:

Oh please let it be Meredith Grey!

37. Colin says:

Bobby From Supernatural

• Crowley_Gal says:

Bobby from Supernatural would make sense given the position they left him in. Speculation is that he will remain as a ghost, so that would mean the character would shake things up because he doesn’t go quietly into the night.

38. Yankee says:

It’s Beckett from “Castle” — no doubts. She’s been a huge PITA behind the scenes since the beginning; the whole “death scare” cliffhanger was meant to shock her into better behavior. Hasn’t worked. She’s out. The fans love Nathan Fillion and the showrunners are counting on them sticking with him and some new ladylove.

• CJ says:

That would be awesome. I love that show, but I can’t stand Stana Katic or her character. She can’t act. They could conceivably get Castle and Beckett together just before they kill her off, and then he’d focus on finally solving her mother’s murder in her memory.

• DL says:

She can’t act? What show are you watching? She’s a great actress.
        And @Yankee – If you’ve been following the Law Enforcement Crushes poll, Stana/Kate Beckett has won the entire female bracket, so the fans (including me) love her too. Plus I’ve never heard anything indicating she’s difficult. Every interview I’ve read indicates much love amongst the cast.
        Where in the world are you getting your information?

• CJ says:

I will admit that she has had some episodes where she absolutely shines – case in point, the most recent season finale. But she has a lot of episodes where, to me anyway, her emotions are incredibly forced and she is just not believable.

• Ilsa says:

I have to admit that this would fulfill two of the clues given in the link to “Boardwalk Empire” — the death would be that of a “co-lead” and potentially motivated by behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

• SnazzyO says:

I could see this.

• TM says:

I just read this in an article :
      ” Last season’s Castle finale was, for yours truly, the best episode of the series. So how does one top that? Simple: You don’t. “You try to do something different,” clarifies Marlowe. “If you’re doing the same thing, only better, it still gets a little bit familiar. We always like to keep the audience a little bit on their toes, so we’re conceiving the last couple of episodes — what can we do that’s really compelling in a way we haven’t explored on the show yet?” ”
      So I doubt they would kill off a character again in season 4, since they are saying they are doing something different.

39. Babygate says:

Michael, can u at least tell us if its cable or network? As long as its no one in Greys Anatomy, it would be fine with me. I’m sure it won’t be anyone on Castle or OUAT. Could it be Revenge? Seems to be like it might be time for that grifter friend of Daniel’s to leave. He is a scoundrel.

40. Jan says:

As long as it isn’t Kalinda or Alicia from GW or Don Draper in Mad Men, I’ll probably survive. Refilling my Valium, just to be on the safe side!

41. Laura says:

Praying it’s Chuck Bass

42. JDHetherington says:

A part of me thought it was Once Upon a Time, because that show is my new obsession. But Jennifer Morrison is pretty integral to the story being able to go forward…maybe I’m just being paranoid

43. Answerman123 says:

I am thinking it’s someone on Hawaii Five0, Danno maybe? Chin?

44. brownie says:

Gibbs??? he’s already doing other things in his off time.

• NoChance says:

Don’t believe it’s Gibbs for even a second. Mark filmed ‘Certain Prey’ during the Summer hiatus and just last February signed on through the end of Season 10 and became an Executive Producer of the show as well.

45. Candice says:

Don Draper from Mad Men was the first character I thought of.

46. Elizabeth says:

Derek from Grey’s. Dempsey in TVGuide saying he may not return, biting the hand that feeds him by saying the musical was a mistake – now they’ll just kill him off now and not worry about next season.

47. Maria says:

If they can’t get BOTH Ellen & Patrick back, I think they would kill the one that’s not returning. How do you make either Derek or Meredith move on? The other has to be dead.

I can see it being from Grey’s.

I’d LOVE it if they’d kill Kate Beckett off. I watch castle for Nathan Fillion. And I don’t see any use in the Beckett character. Any female cop will do. Beckett is annoying and needy and always teasing Rick. She tries to make him her puppy dog.

Case could go on with out Beckett. I’d love for them to just get rid of her.

• DL says:

Many people love Beckett, myself included. My whole family watches Castle for the chemistry between the two characters, not just for Nathan Fillion in a vacuum.

• Kate says:

I don’t think it could go on without Beckett. Surely, without Beckett, Castle has no reason to be working with the NYPD anymore and boom!, there goes the whole premise for the show.

• Katarzyna says:

Are we watching the same show, really? For me, Kate Beckett is the most interesting character, not only on “Castle”, but on TV in general these days. And my favourite character on “Castle”. The second she’s gone, I quit watching. Andrew Marlowe knows it very well that Kate/Stana has a HUGE fanbase and her departure would be the DEATH of the show.

• kaboom says:

I respect your opinion, I really do. I just really can’t imagine how anybody could think of Beckett as an interesting character. She’s so basic and unoriginal, a bunch of cliches on heels. They had a chance to make her into something more interesting in season 1, I remember she used to have some quirks, being awkward and selfconcious and tomboyish (and looking more like a cop). Now she’s this ridiculously badass perfection everybody is flailing over for no apparent reason, I can’t even.. Bueeehh

48. Carol says:

Oh please don’t let it be Kalinda!! :(
    But I don’t think is someone from The Good Wife. “Hit drama series” and “incredible popular character” sounds like it’s a show for a younger audience…

49. cj says:

i think probably Grey’s Anatomy. probably a dude. if it’s Fringe i’m gonna be PIIIIIIIISSSSSSEEEEEDDDDDDDD.

50. silvrblck says:

I don’t think its Castle because while the main character is Castle, Beckett is just as important. It would not be very smart to get rid of such a key player. If so, I will stop watching.

• DL says:

I agree. I would not watch Castle without Beckett. Plus killing her would make no sense because the entire show is predicated on the conceit that Castle needs her as his muse for Nikki Heat, and the Castle character would never continue Nikki Heat if Beckett was killed, or even create a new character based on some new female detective. It would be totally ridiculous.

• TM says:

I would hate it if they killed Beckett,but if they did, I have a couple of ideas as to why they did it and where they would be headed…

• Katarzyna says:

Nowhere for me, ’cause I would stop watching the show. Stana/Kate is the reason I’m watching “Castle”.

• TM says:

What I meant was that I could see what story arc they would be trying to put into motion by killing off Beckett(with Beckett killed Castle will go to any lengths to make the person responsible pay, pretty much like Beckett is doing now because of her mother’s murder,so it’d be like passing the baton in a way,but then I can’t imagine the show going back to funny and lighthearted,and then it wouldn’t be the same show anymore,would it?).But as I said,I hope it doesn’t happen,cause people would probably stop watching the second she flat-lines again.

• TM says:

And PS: I wouldn’t blame them…