Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

Tags:

Comments (1,008)

• Hetty on NCIS LA- A just posted in AA that someone is going to die in the finale, and I can’t image the show without Hetty. Well, I can, but it will lose something major and I’m not sure it will have the same appeal as it does now.

Don’t kill Hetty please!!!!

Comment by CTE – January 17, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not Hetty. Aus said it is a guy that dies.

Comment by the wb frog – January 17, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh right, forgot that clue

ok who else- I can’t imagine the show without any of the guys….please don’t kill Callen or Deeks, I would cry and the show would lose so much

Comment by CTE – January 17, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, a male character is dying on NCIS LA. I don’t see Ausiello being unhappy about it though, since he mainly hearts these shows House, Greys, Private Practice, Gossip Girl, Glee. This is more so a separate spoiler with a character killed on another show. It could be Pete on Private Practice, and TD is tired of the show which happens to come across in his scenes now.

Comment by KLE – January 19, 2012 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam from Supernatural! For real this time! Dean and a new character can go traipsing around the country. It would be a ballsy move, and, depending on if the new character has the same chemistry as Jared Padalecki, it would make the ratings A LOT better

Comment by Walter – January 17, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL It would make the ratings better? By a LOT? XDDDD
      If they do that they have a snowball’s chance in hell of even keeping the same ratings as they’re getting now.

Every show who replaced a lead character after about season 5, experienced a nose dive in the ratings (X-files, Stargate Sg-1 …), and Spn’s numbers don’t exactly have much room to fall.
      Not to mention according to recent articles/interviews both Padalecki and Ackles are signed on for season 8.

Comment by Remy – January 18, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney from How I met your Mother… They never say – uncle barney… but they do say aunt lily, aunt robin and uncle marshall…

Comment by Kavita – January 17, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A character of DRAMA hit series will die, not a comedy show.
      And they said uncle Barney a few times.

Comment by LindaL – January 17, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like this a bit. Whoever they are going to kill? It is going to be bad, really bad. Oh! man!!!! Please not someone from Castle. I love that show to death lol

Comment by Aiza – January 18, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve thought all along that whichever show this is, they are doing this as a ratings stunt. Why is this bad? Because soap operas (for years) tried to do this. Look at them today! Only four are left.

Doesn’t matter which show this is about… they are going to piss a lot of viewers off. I know I was when I watched Boardwalk Empire.

Comment by The WB Frog – January 18, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve cracked it, Its zeek on parenthood

Comment by Mikey Twigge – January 18, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Nick Stokes, definitely.

Comment by caddyshack – January 18, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think it Catherine Willows on csi

Comment by Chris – January 18, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hating myself for saying (and typing) this, but I think it’s Zeek from Parenthood.

I really, really hope not.

Comment by Jane – January 19, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my speculations for this blind lie with ensemble casts like Private Practice where there are several arguable “led” men to choose from. Maybe vitally important but still supporting guys like Alex on Gray’s or Sweets/a male Squintern on Bones. On top of these ideas are shows I don’t even watch, e.x. this seasons entire CW lineup.

I do however want to add to the House discution that as it is based on Sherlock Holems they could throw House off a waterfall then write prequals until they decide if they want him to miraculusly survive. I’m still waiting for a clear Moriarty. ;-)

Comment by Blake – January 19, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet is on one of the NCIS mainstays.

Comment by L – January 19, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don Draper from Mad Men. Two reasons: 1) As MA says, it would be impossible to imagine the show without him, and 2) The promo ads that ran here on TVLine for the upcoming season. Instead of the man sitting comfortably behind the logo of the show, he was tumbling head first through mid-air. Is that a clue?

Comment by JD – January 19, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spartacus!!!

Comment by baz – January 20, 2012 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will there be any more clues? Ever? How ’bout a network? When its gonna happen?

Comment by The WB Frog – January 20, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nathan from One Tree Hill

Comment by Casey – January 22, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking so too, and I’m really hoping that I’m wrong.

Comment by ErMo – January 22, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think so too. Not happy about where this story is going.

Comment by Gee – February 8, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter from The Good Wife.

Comment by Linderella – January 23, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ ^ ^ This makes the most sense of any.

Comment by The WB Frog – January 23, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s not LEAD! Is he even recurring? I thought he was a super-special guest star, credit-wise

Comment by astrid – January 23, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shane or (gasp!) Darryl from The Walking Dead.

Comment by Sebby – January 23, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seeing the latest scoop from EW, could it be someone from Desperate Housewives?

Comment by Lucy – January 25, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it isn’t Chuck. So it means it has to be some other show.

Comment by Melissa – January 28, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Bishop?

Comment by stella – January 29, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we need another clue…

Comment by Lachie – January 30, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! When are we going to get another clue?

Comment by The WB Frog – January 30, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase from House

Comment by Ant – January 30, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same! Though I hope it’s not him ’cause I love him!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Ronnie – January 30, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure Chase can be considered a lead though, even of it does seem like they are building up to something with him. If this is about House then I’d imagine it’s either House, Wilson or Foreman.

Lots of guns this season…

Comment by Dani – January 31, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it isn’t Gibbs.

Comment by Melissa – January 31, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs gets shot in next weeks 200th episode. I can’t imagine that he will die on such a monumental episode! PLEASE I hope not! I love Gibbs and NCIS wont’ be the same w/o Mark Harmon and those Gibbs slaps!

Comment by Shannon – January 31, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! Please tell me that Leroy Jethro Gibbs is not the focus of your latest Blind Item. NCIS would never be the same without him!………cue hysterical sobs!

Comment by Julie – February 1, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its Mike From Desperate Housewives. Killed by the mafia.

Comment by john – February 1, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perez just posted something about a male lead being whacked from Vampire Diaries. Discuss.

Comment by Jess – February 1, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vampire Diaries sounds more like Aus’ speed.

Comment by The WB Frog – February 6, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so… was it alt-lincoln?

Comment by Ray – April 6, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael just replied to me via twitter that it was Shane from Walking Dead

Comment by mike – April 18, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all the talk about a major cliffhanger in the season finale and the clues we got in the episode last week – ‘Rekindled’ – I’m actually starting to think it is going to be a main character on “NCIS”.

Comment by NoChance – April 23, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s gotta be Grey’s Anatomy. Rimes and others have confirmed that a main character is going to die by season’s end. Plus, didn’t Ausiello tweet that the show is on CBS? Or am I getting my Blind Items mixed up?

Comment by Emma – April 30, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Boreanaz from Bones, The Rumors going around that he’s done at the end of this Season.

Comment by Conni Friscia – May 8, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its 100 percent Booth from Bones :’(

Comment by tyler – May 9, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Epic failure on your part.

Comment by Bob – September 26, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did it happen yet??

Comment by Ryan – June 18, 2012 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Victoria in Revenge? Please… no….

Comment by Jon – September 26, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So was this Lexie or Mark from grey’s?

Comment by Bradly – December 17, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe it was about Shane or Dale from TWD

Comment by Oliver – January 8, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it might be Mr. Shuster (Matthew Morrison) on “GLEE”. Perhaps setting the stage for Finn Hudson (Corey Montheith) to take over the Glee Club on a regular basis?

Comment by mattyc – February 9, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post