Exclusive

Blind Item: Hit Series Poised to Whack Lead

Among the surprises Santa Claus left under my tree Sunday morning: The spoiler equivalent of a big ol’ lump of coal.

In a move that is sure to stoke shock and awe among fans, a major (and incredibly popular) character on a hit drama series will take his/her last breath during 2012. And I’m not happy about it.

What’s more, per the Grinch St. Nick the actor/actress in question in not going quietly into the night.

“There has been a lot of tension on the set,” whispers the spy, “because [spoiler] isn’t happy with how [pronoun redacted] is being killed off.”

And while there’s a part of me that admires this program’s willingness to laugh in the face of conventional wisdom by whacking such a pivotal character, it’s tough to imagine the show without him/her.

To put things into perspective, the departure of [spoiler] is as bold and audacious as this recent primetime loss.

Stay close to my Twitter feed for additional clues. In the meantime, hit the comments with your most educated guesses! Oh, and Happy Holidays!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Oz says:

Harry Potter

• Cellar Door says:

WIN.

• anonymous says:

Sorry, just let me break in here. Anyone seen the fall finale of Person of Interest? Have a feeling that said person is Jim Caviezel. And before you flame me, please note that Ausiello’s definition of ‘hit’ casts a wide shadow.

• CJ says:

Tru from Tru Calling.

• ZmaX says:

YES^^^THIS :D LMAO
        I bet Tru somehow goes all the way back in time to save her Mom from dying and ends up dying herself…but since “little” Tru will be alive and have a Mom to guide her, she won’t die in the future by going to the past to save her mom…wow my head hurts now LOL
        thanks CJ that made my day

• opyanne says:

I’m guessing House. At least, I hope it is House. I stopped watching the show about half way into last season. It’s old.

• fragesteller girl says:

C’mon folks, we all know the name – it’s Kenny from South Park. They want to kill him, the bastards! Once again!.. ;-)

• Alex says:

I bet it’s Chuck! Sara from Chuck has already mentioned that the series finale was going to wrap up well but also be tragic. I would be shocked if it was anyone but poor Chuck Bartowski.

2. Meg says:

Kind of thinking it might be House. It’s on its last legs anyway.

• Liz says:

On its last legs?! Have you been watching this season?! Last season I would have agreed, totally, Huddy was killing the show, but this season is great!
      Anyway, I don’t think it has to do with House. At least I hope so.

• Anna says:

There are other factors (such as the agreement between Universal and Fox) that are killing House…

• tarc says:

House died several years ago. You’re just watching a sad reflection now.

• Erin says:

Clearly you are speaking only for yourself, because even with all of it’s struggles of late it still has one of the most compelling and iconic characters on television, portrayed by one brilliant actor, Hugh Laurie.

• camzillar says:

I don’t think it’s House cause somehow I think Hugh Laurie would’ve signed another contract for a few more years. Plus there’s no way that Hugh Laurie would get all nasty. I reckon it’s someone from Greys anatomy since all of their contracts are coming up for renewal…

• Emgee says:

It won’t be House. The show wouldn’t be “House” without House. Foreman was just promoted. They’ve been touting a Chase-centered episode and the two females were just added and can’t be considered pivotal and can’t be considered “incredibly popular.”

• Jorge says:

I thought House… and specifically I thought that it could be Wilson. It’s very hard to see the serie without him.

• Maddy says:

I think if it is Wilson and Robert Sean Leonard was not happy to be going, then I think Hugh would have a hell of a lot to say to the writers and David
          Shore, because Hugh has always said that the only thing making the stress and pressure of fronting House is having Robert on the set with him too!!!

• Mafalda Neto says:

ahaha one of his last legs, pun intended? ahahah

• nope says:

House is already dead, check the ratings. Also, Wilson while being a key figure is not THAT popular of a character, and RSL, judging from his interviews (public and private) couldn’t care less how it would end for him, he just wants to get out. Someone from Greys Anatomy is more likely.

• Kate says:

At my place, Wilson is a much more popular character than House at this point. If they killed off Wilson, they might as well end the show, with Cameron, Amber, Kutner and Cuddy gone..

It makes sense that it would be House himself. The final misery for the character.

• Erin says:

Yeah, he wanted out so badly that’s why he signed up for another year to do season eight.

• okay says:

Seriously. If he really wanted out that badly, he could have left after his contract ended last season just like Lisa did.

• no one cares about the fans says:

You should have heard him answering fan questions every night after his Broadway play. He was brutally honest and straightforward. I was actually surprised he could say such things without implications. In a nutshell, they all are too tired and exhausted, no one cares about characters any more, it’s all pure business at this point. RSL’s agents did better job than Lisa’s, that’s all. I think a few of these interviews have landed on YouTube.

• Elvis says:

Yeah the show is so bad this year that the only thing left they have is to kill House off and end the misery.

• jane says:

i dont think it’s anyone from House the show at all. at least House is still one of the most watchable show on tv. those who think house is dead i doubt you have even watched this season.. or simply stupid. go away

• lauren says:

Ausiello, is there any way to block the simply silly guesses like House or Emily Van Camp or Beckett?

• Nonnaru says:

Last Legs…pun intended???

3. jack smithson says:

i think it will be one of the desperate housewives…

4. I says:

Meredith Grey.

5. IAN says:

OMG!!! DEXTER????????

6. Meg says:

No, eh, pun intended.

7. Jenna says:

Could it be Nick Stokes from CSI…he mentioned the word “stoke” not sure if that is clue or not…?

• lucia says:

Also, St. Nick.

• Alison says:

I really hope not. Not only do I like Nick, but considering CSI has already killed off Warrick (a roughly equivalent-level character) it would be really lame of them to pull that stunt again.

• suzanne says:

My thoughts exactly. I hope not. He is my favorite on the show.

• neffmom says:

Didn’t they say the female lead in CSI was leaving the show on the commercials??? Oh what was her name.. YOu know the blond chick.
          I think it might be her.

• Patty says:

Damn it, I think you’re right. At first I thought it could’ve been Damien from Vampire Diaries, but now I’m thinking it is George Eads’s character Nick Stokes. Aus does tend to leave subtle clues throughout his posts.

• Captain says:

Definitely him. That “stoke” line feels very forced in, I’m definitely thinking he’s dropping clues.

• DL says:

You’re right about that the clues seem to fit, but I have a very hard time believing the executive producers would do this with Marg Helgenberger already leaving. It would be like they’re asking to kill their own show. Fans would be outraged. I’ve really enjoyed watching Ted Danson as Russell, and I’m interested to see how Elisabeth Shue will do, but Stokes has been my favorite CSI for years and I’ll stop watching if this comes to pass.

• Scott says:

I agree I think it is Nick Stokes. Remember back to the first episode of the season, DB made the comment it is going to be sad to see him go (him being Nick)

8. baj24 says:

Bonnie from TVD. Her role has been somewhat diminished this season and she wasn’t even in the first few episodes…..

• kervin says:

i think if another char from vamp diaries is to be knocked off, i guess it could be bonnie…ur right, her role has been somewhat diminished…but i hope its not her! we need a witch on the good side!

• ThomasTheo says:

It wouldn’t be much of a shock, though, if someone on TVD died. It happens all the time.

• Krista says:

TVD doesn’t rely on Bonnie. There are plenty of other characters that make the show. It would do fine without her. Plus Bonnie isn’t technically a lead character anyway. Also, if she did get killed of would KAt really mind? It would allow her to focus more on music. I think we’re looking at a different show.

• Allie says:

Yeah, but have they killed off major characters before? Besides Aunt Jenna which was more of a secondary role.

• lorna says:

Oh I would LOVE it if it was Bonnie. The actress is getting pretty busy, and while she is talented, and I can’t stand her self righteous wet drip of a character.

• Rebecca says:

I don’t know, as I remember it Bonnie has had a few episodes off each season, and I assume Kat Graham was still promoting her music and the break worked well with the whole Jeremy dead ghost girlfriend’s story. Don’t see it being her.

• Pauleygirl says:

Julie Plec, said that the supporting cast(aka Bonnie) is not contracted for every espisode, it is a financial decision not an actor decision. Jeremy is not in every ep. neither is Caroline, Matt, Tyler or Ric. Only the main cast is contract for every episode.

• Pauleygirl says:

You haven’t been reading spoiler, Bonnie’s storyline is about to heat up bigtime. And Kat Graham is not considered a lead character, she is a supporting cast. The only leads on the show are Damon, Stefan, Elena and Klaus.

• Allie says:

In that case, it cant be anyone on the Vampire Diaries. I rememeber reading a while back that they were never going to kill off Stefan, Elena, or Damon. Klaus is a possibility but I doubt they’re going to do that. Even if he does die, I’m not sure thats what Ausiello meant.

• Vanny says:

Perhaps they are killing off Damon? he is a lead, and as Stefan is also a lead.. perhaps they don’t want both anymore? (and he is dating Elena in real life, so perhaps this is causing a bit of tension on set?… just a thought..)

• josephine says:

Actually they could be killing off Demon, because they decided to do a little of what the book did or something, and as far as I know Demon died in the book, so…

• Devo says:

He said series LEAD.

9. lucia says:

Is it a hit crime drama series???

• Emgee says:

10. Saar says:

it better not be Derek, they can’t kill him off, please say it’s not Derek. Merder deserve a happy ending

• David says:

I was thinking that it might be Derek. I remember reading a rumor that next season if he came back it would be limited duty.

• aussie says:

that was the rumor for PD to only return for a limited season, but i’m gonna hold out hope that everyone returns fulltime. PD will be filming “The art of racing in the rain” during the break though.

11. Ben Kabak says:

Emily Van de Camp. Revenge.

• Lee says:

I doubt that, that whole things about her getting Revenge? Why kill her off?

• ayelet says:

Because…(and this is a spoiler for the second season..)

The second season will take place and NY and I’m assuming it will be someone else’s revenge story..’cause how long can Emily’s story last? She doesn’t have such a long list..

I still don’t think they would kill her off..think it might be House as well or Der\Mer of Grey’s Anatomy..

• TM says:

Yeah,but it’s set in NY because the characters don’t really live in the Hamptons,they are only there for the summer,so it makes sense for everybody to move back to New York,considering that in the first season finale it’ll probably be the end of the summer.

• Rick says:

The second half of THE FIRST SEASON takes place in New York.

• dee123 says:

Not that i believe it but the first words Emily ever spoke on Revenge was about digging TWO graves so i truly believe her character may have a better chance of dying than most.

12. Kimi says:

Is this character on a new show or an older show???

13. Anthony Newhall says:

Oh no! Possibly Andrew on ringer?

14. IR says:

Ellen Pompeo?

15. Tony says:

I’m guessing Diane (Christine Baranski) from Good Wife. Solely because of the Grinch comment.

16. ololo says:

I think it’s Jack from LOST.

17. Amy says:

And…now I’m terrified. Why must you always do this to me, Ausiello?!

18. RGM says:

I hope it’s not Madeleine Stowe in *Revenge* though I can’t imagine the show would do that after her Golden Globe nomination, nor does it say that it’s a freshman hit drama series like other blind items. So curious about this one…but then again, that’s what’s so fun about blind items!

19. Maja says:

Yeah, I bet they will kill off the main character of a freshman show… That makes absolute sense…

20. Dan says:

So this won’t be like when Meredith Grey died. For one episode.

21. Nan says:

It’s The female lead on Castle – wait and see.

• BG says:

FAIL! But I can see it being someone ON Castle as they need to trim that budget…

• ABC says:

Doubt it. I can’t see the reason for budget cuts since the show’s ratings has been on par with previous seasons. Plus, I can’t see any of the cast making a big scene exit.

• Safe says:

I don’t think it will be anyone on Castle. The series creator, Andrew Marlowe, has a clear vision of what he wants for the future of the show, and that’s the two lead characters together. Plus, they just killed someone last season. And the ratings have been through the roof. Castle has been consistent in topping their time slot on Mondays.

• Gin says:

LOL, never.

• Nev says:

I doubt this. Season 3’s end-of-season cliffhanger was that same character getting shot and nearly dying, so I can’t see Andrew Marlowe repeating something similar. Plus, they killed of a major character in that same finale, so, again, been there done that. And I doubt it’s Castle himself since there wouldn’t be a show without him.

The show needs to cut down on it’s budget? WTF?

The gal from Grey’s Anatomy is a possibility. Or what about one of the leads from Unforgettable? I mean, how many cop shows do we need with a male and female lead where one is a cop and the other isn’t, but has super-special skills?

• JC says:

I certainly wouldn’t mind if they killed Al off (I’m not sure I’ve ever seen less chemistry between a lead TV couple), but Unforgettable is pretty far from being a “hit drama series”. If you read TVbytheNumbers, it’s questionable whether it’ll even be renewed for a second season.

• Ethan says:

CASTLE is a popular show? Since when?

• megan says:

There would be no Castle without Castle and Beckett. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

22. Tony says:

Actually, I’m liking Jenna’s guess that it is George Eads from CSI, because of the use of the word ‘stoke’ and reference to St. ‘Nick’. Ah, who knows…it’s not like we will find out from Mr.A before it airs anyway….

23. allie says:

As long as they don’t kill any main character on NCIS, Castle, or Bones I’ll be alright! But can’t say that I won’t be sad no matter who is killed, espicially if it’s not in a good way! But since most of my fave shows are popular, I’m worried!

• Tim McGee says:

It’s Anthony Dinozzo on NCIS.

• hahaha says:

From #1 show to…canceled.

• Abby says:

McGee!!! Don’t say stuff like that!! *Smacks upside the head Gibbs style* Don’t you know it’s bad luck???

• Carly says:

Um, Im worried about Gibbs! The other characters are good enough to keep NCIS chugging for a bit, but Gibbs is the glue!

• Becca says:

Gibbs IS ncis. Without him, there is no show. Notice that he couldn’t even retire!

• Blix says:

Mark Harmon is an Executive Producer! If he wanted out, he’s be written out according to his own wishes and contract stipulations, it certainly wouldn’t be a fight.

• Brendan says:

Can’t see them killing off DiNozzo, but I could totally see them killing off Ziva…..

• Tybois says:

Can’t be DiNozzo, Gibbs or Ziva. They are under contract until the end of the 2012/2013 season (next season).

• Mark says:

Having a signed contract doesn’t mean a thing…there’s cycles that shows go thru where they then have the opportunity to kill off or quit writing a character after a certain length of time

• Svenja says:

Yeah, but NCIS is not the kinda show that fires contracted people. Also they won’t mess with the dynamic on the show and alter it. Not if they can help it. I doubt Gary Glasberg will kill any character off and none of the actors seems to be willing to leave. They always emphasize how much they enjoy their jobs and love being on set.

• NoChance says:

Yes, contract doesn’t mean anything. When Sasha Alexander’s Kate was killed off, Sasha was still under contract. She asked to be let out of it and Bellisario said yes then killed Kate to explain Sasha’s early exit from the series.

I don’t think it will be any of the ‘NCIS’ characters but anything is possible.

• Blix says:

ALL contracts have termination clauses for anytime/any reason. A contract is NOT iron-clad protection.

• Kassie says:

I would never watch NCIS again if this horrible thing happened.

• Ele says:

Yep….they will rock the boat and kill DiNozzo or Ziva…

• Barb says:

I was thinking Booth on Bones.

• Liz says:

Exactly what I was thinking…Would seriously change the show if they did that!

• Christina says:

I highly doubt it. They might just as well cancel the show if they kill him or Brennan off.

• Mitholas says:

Exactly. The show has remained essentially unchanged for several seasons now (and annoyingly so… I hate FOX and their meddling), I don’t think they would do something so major and drastic. FOX wouldn’t stand for it and indeed I doubt that the show could survive that at this point.

• fox says:

foxg iveth and fox taketh away? they did pull the brakes on all the progress but they did mimic CBS and they gave bones an attractive timeslot making sure it stays at least a couple more seasons.

• ZoeBoo says:

no, it can’t be him i read some interview where they said that there will be boot/bones wading but not in this season… so…

• cathiecat says:

My concern exactly. That blurred photo looked a lot like Tony DiNozzo from NCIS. SAY IT ISN’T SO. He is crucial to the success of the show. Losing Kate was a bug on the windshield compared to the pileup losing Tony would be.

• Nichole says:

They use that picture for all the blind items. There are no clues in the picture.

• Ash says:

I didn’t think anyone actually cared when Kate got killed off…

Personally, I’m worried it’s going to be Ducky.

• kate says:

no one cared when Kate died you say. i sobbed for 3 days and am living in denial to this day. oh yeah, people cared.

• NoChance says:

I cared too. I cared a lot. I still try to will Ari not to pull the trigger even though I know he does. I still bawl my eyes out when Tony and McGee “put her to bed” for the last time in autopsy. I still sob when Gibbs says “Sorry, Kate” at her graveside.

• Barbie says:

Kate who? LOL. Seriously, most times I don’t even remember she exists…

Best thing to happen to that show. Also, freed lovely Sasha to go and play Maura Isles, which she so much better at.

• Jerri says:

That blurred pic is Michael Ausiello himself. You’re seeing DiNozzo in places he isn’t in. ;-)

• Blix says:

The same photo is used for all the blind items, and it’s a pic of Ausiello.

If Tony goes, NCIS dies. The show dimply doesn’t have any one else that can fill the role that feeds the unique atmosphere that Tony does. While I admit, killing off Tony would be ballsy on CBS’ part, it would also be terminally stupid.

• D says:

If it is on Bones, [SPOILER] since they’re adding a new character, baby Christine, and a new killer [SPOILER], I bet on either Sweets or Cam. But I hope it’s not on Bones; nor NCIS; nor Castle; nor Criminal Minds, there was already too much drama last season, on camera and behind the scenes, but if it were on CM I would bet on my favourite character.
      Is Chuck a drama? ‘Cause Yvonne tweeted this https://twitter.com/#!/Y_Strahovski/status/142356701042061313 , which makes me wonder.

24. Goku says:

Andrea from The Walking Dead?

• Marcelo says:

Andrea’s arc goes a long way in the comics; it ain’t her. It seems pretty obvious to me that they are going to kill S****. He shoulda been dead already, according to the original material.

• Delirious says:

I thought they said a few months ago that one of the Darabont loyals in the series had requested an exit, and they were gonna grant it to them, and kill the character off? And I think I recall Andrea and Dale as the top candidates, due to the Darabont link.

• Mafalda Neto says:

I don’t think that’s a beloved character or pivotal to he show.

• Maureen says:

I’m thinking it’s Rick..

• Babs Bladdyblah says:

That pics looks like Shane. And if it is, I am gonna be pissed! Take out the best zombie killer please, why dontcha? I mean, there’s Daryl. But dangit, Shane is the man!!! Yea, I am gonna be really upset. It can’t be Rick. It’s Rick’s world, everyone else just lives in it.

• GP says:

I think it may be Rick Grimes- some evidence for this – Character sidelined for season 2 (following the departure of darabont), Andrew Lincoln has done no promo work since San Diego comic con (also the time when darabont left), he was not at the season premiere in Los Angeles ( what series does’t have the main character attend the premiere?), plus the blind item about the darabont loyalist wanting to leave. If it turns out be true I will certainly not be watching any more. Mega bad decision – the reason TWD was great was season 1- season 2 not in the same league. I just hope this turns out to be not true.

25. Karen says:

Ringer or DH

26. Chance says:

“shock and awe” “whispers the spy” Methinks it’s homeland.

• ron says:

Mandy doesn’t tend to last long on many shows

• Jules says:

Claire Danes? Not sure how she’s going to fit in to the story if she can no longer work for the CIA. But I doubt it. Something about this makes me think it’s a longer running show than Homeland. Have a bad feeling about Greys but I don’t see Ellen Pompeo or Patrick Dempsey putting up that much of a fight since they both have expressed interest in leaving and killing one of them off would be very spoilery.

• LK says:

My thoughts exactly. “Shock and Awe”: what we were supposed to do to Iraq. “St Nick”: Nicholas Brody.

• Ellen in NYC says:

I think it is possible it will be Brody. I’ve always felt that they’ve been talking about Homeland like it’s Claire Danes’ show. Which I’ve been sensitive to because I came to the show because of Damien Lewis and Mandy Patinkin, not Claire Danes.

If not Homeland, than someone from NCIS or Criminal Minds.

• Not Criminal Minds Except Maybe Prentiss says:

The entire ensemble signed on for two more years, including AJ Cook when she was rehired and Thomas Gibson when he renewed his contract. So they’re both on the show through end of season 8, at least. The only one who didn’t renew her contract is Paget Brewster/Emily Prentiss. Her return to season 7 was an extension of her original contract since the pilot she left CM to do crashed and burned before it could even make it out of the viewing room. Maybe one of her other arch-enemies from her checkered past will successfully kill her off this time.

• Deena says:

Get your facts straight, Paget did not LEAVE she was FIRED unjustly. It’s a miracle she even came back after the way they treated her. And AJ, frankly.

27. ber says:

My guess is Derek on Grey’s Anatomy…I hope the series survives though, it has been soo good this year. I thougt of House also, but it would not be a shock and the show would not live on, of course, and the article suggests the show will do so. It cannot be Bones or Castle or any show that needs both romanntic leads to go on. It could someone from CSI or NCIS, don’t know the shows enough. But I will stick with my Patrick Dempsey guess

• JM says:

Didn’t Patrick Dempsey already say that this series of Greys would be his last? So presumably he wouldn’t be that bothered about being written out as is implied in the article.

• tj says:

Actually he said when promoting Transformers 3 that at that time, he hadn’t been picked up for another season, but that he’d love to come back.

In fact, almost all of the cast, icluding Ellen Pompeo and Justin Chambers, hadn’t had a new contract option offered, at that time. Of course, this could have changed.

It was Ellen, who said that this season might be her last. Patrick said that if they fixed the Mer/Der storyline (which they did) that he’d be willing to come back.

• Aussie says:

Dempsey has said he will return if they move past the adolescent storyline, which they have.
        Pompeo would never kick the show who feeds her, will return
        possibly Dempsey and Pompeo get producer status.
        Chambers has said he want’s to return
        The only orginals out of the GA cast that you don’t read much about are Sandra Oh, Chandra Wilson and James Picken Jnr but i believe everyone will be back for S9 as ABC will throw everything place the kitchen sink at them.

• Christina says:

It could be him, but I’m not sure if he’d be my #1 choice.

28. Carolyn says:

might be Kyra Sedgewick on The Closer

• PJM says:

She’s already leaving the show.

• rowan says:

EXACTLY – there is a difference between someone just leaving the show and killing the character off. They never said HOW they were going to have Brenda exit the show. I think they’re going to kill her. Poor Fritzie!

• kirads09 says:

That would be my guess. I’ll bet she goes down saving Goldman of all people.

It better not be anyone from Burn Notice!! That would be my second guess. The direction it is going has left me a bit concerned as well.

• ari says:

Given the comment about the actor being unhappy with the way it happens, I’m doubting KS because she’s also a major player behind the camera, probably has a lot of say in how the stories play out. And, with KS’s departure already widely known, I can’t think any manner in which Brenda leaves would be a huge shock.

29. Timm says:

I wish “hit drama series” was defined more. Hit by who’s standards? We could be talking CSI or we could be talking Gossip Girl. Big difference.

Speaking of Gossip Girl…. any of them, perhaps.

• Ari says:

Please let it be Dan Humphrey! That would be the best Christmas present ever.

• Ruba says:

well speaking of Gossip Girl I don’t see Chuck surviving this season…it feels like they are trying to tie up loose end with his character. realistically his character was never one to survive and live happily ever after.but i don’t know how i feel about it if it is true.

30. Erin says:

bye bye Booth on Bones!

31. RR says:

Shane on “The Walking Dead.” Bet the farm. His character was long dead by this point in the story.

32. Kevin says:

Killing Nick in CSI would be ballsy cause Marg is leaving too.

• NoChance says:

Killing either Tony or Ziva from ‘NCIS’ would also be ballsy since each are part of Tiva. If either of them die that puts an end to even the possibility of it ever happening and CBS risks losing the viewers who watch in hope of it happening someday.

• Linda says:

Maybe the producers and writers of CSI just want a clean slate, so its like a whole new show with the excepetion of Sarah, Greg, and the police guy, sorry his name escapes me at the moment. I haven’t really watched much since Grissom left.

But is is really still considered a “hit?”

As long as everybody on NCIS, Castle, Body of Proof and White Collar stays okay, I’m fine.

33. Krista says:

My first guess was Meredith or Derek from Grey’s Anatomy but would that still be considered a hit show? Also, would Ausiello really be that upset if one of them died. I think it’s another show.

• Mitholas says:

Grey’s anatomy is still ABC’s highest rated drama, I think it’s safe to say it still counts as a hit. And even after all these years and the declining quality, if Meredith, Derek, Bailey or Kristina died, I know I’d be really upset. I mean… George’s death wasn’t technically televised, but when he did the 007 thing… yikes.

34. #winning says:

Casey from chuck

35. trollolol says:

Dorota from Gossip Girl. I can’t.

36. Scarlett says:

I agree – plus Hugh Laurie is an executive producer and has admitted to “medeling” on occassion BTS. If he was unhappy with how something was being executed – especially the end of his character – I believe he holds enough sway to work with Shore until they created an end that he was satisfied with.

37. Saulo says:

Gossip Girl’s Taylor Momsen and The Good Wife’s Christine Baranski were on the Grinch movie. They’re both beloved characters from hit series. Leads? I don’t think so.

The other possibility is the death of a cop on a lame procedural show!

38. Claudia Costa Chaves says:

OMFG! Kalinda…

• C says:

Ummm…it better not be. I think its fairly unlikely – I mean Robert and Michelle King love Kalicia and I think they know that the show has been somewhat fractured without them. Plus, if you kill Kalinda off (even after a reconciliation with Alicia):: which btw would be even more heart-wrenching and tragic than their initial break-up:: you lose a major dynamic permanently and they don’t want that. They like the emotional tug of wars. The King’s are risk-takers so I don’t think it pulls them totally out of this game, but they pack punches subtly…and I’m not sure they are going to be willing to go there with anyone – at least not yet. If they did, I’d think Will or Diane…but where would that really drive the story?

• Tracy says:

This was my first guess, too. Perhaps the writers were unsure what to do with her character now that she’s on the outs with Alicia and wanted to shake things up on the show. It would be a terrible idea.

39. Meg says:

Nah, that’d end the show completely. Plus they killed the Captain in the last season finale, and she was shot in the same episode, so I doubt it. Plus let’s face it, Castle is not ‘incredibly popular’

• Nev says:

Uh, excuse me – Castle has averaged almost 10 million viewers an ep this season AND the show AND Nathan Fillion were nominated for a People’s Choice Award. More than one critic has called it a hit. Sure “incredibly popular” is subjective, but I think a good portion of their fandom would beg to differ with you.

• PJM says:

Yeah, pulling out the “nominated for a People’s Choice Award” card is never a good sign for your show. Whitney got nominated for crying out loud.

But here’s a new one out of the box: Scott Caan (Danno) on Hawaii Five-O. He’s the best part of that show, typically acting circles around Alex O’Laughlin.

• Manda says:

Yeah … the PCA’s aren’t the greatest awards, but at least they’re not self-serving like the Emmys. A PCA nom (and win) might not mean critical acclaim, but they mean people are watching your show.

(Notice how Whitney hasn’t been cancelled yet, even though it’s horrible?)

• DramafanSC says:

To be honest…probably over half the people I know watch Castle. just because you don’t watch it doesn’t mean it isn’t popular. I don’t watch NCIS or Revenge but am not so arrogant to think that just because I don’t watch them means no one else does either. castle has a very very large fan base.

40. Smriti says:

IT BETTER NOT BE MEREDITH OR DEREK MerDer DESERVE happy ending

41. Donna says:

Gee, for the first time I’m glad Fringe is not a “hit show” :-)

42. S says:

Becket in Castle. Hopefully. Also because it makes sense. They milked the “are they, aren’t they” to the point of making people puke. If they are clever go for “they are” and kill Beckett.

The show is called Castle. They can afford to kill Beckett and revive the show with a new female lead. Preferably one that can act.

• Annie says:

What are you talking about??? I dont’t think there’s a single person on Castle you can’t act and especially not Stana. Go away and watch your old Firefly DVDs if you don’t like the show, but leave Stana alone.

• Nev says:

Don’t feed the haters, Annie. As Stana has gotten more and more notice for her acting as Beckett, more and more of these folks have been coming out of the wood work as if they’re good judges of talent. Probably someone who sent her a script and never heard back.

• Katarzyna says:

Agree, don’t feed the trolls full of hatred towards our Stana. Who btw is the most talented actress out there. Ten thousand times more than every other actress on another shows.

• Katarzyna says:

Yeah, and it’s total coward using only S as his/her “name”.

• Annie says:

What the hell is up with all the Castle guesses?? That’s so far out in left field, it ain’t even in the stadium anymore.

• Real Smith says:

Bi**h please -_-

• DL says:

Stana’s a fantastic actress, the best acting out of any female lead on a straight-up crime procedural, in my opinion.
      There’s no way it’s her. Just because the show is called “Castle”, Marlowe is still smart enough to know that the chemistry between the two of them carries the show. Besides, that would totally remove the reason for Castle to be working for the police force since he would no longer have his muse for “Nikki Heat” and I couldn’t imagine the Castle character would ever be willing to go on writing those books without her.

• kate says:

they even think about killing Kate off and the show dies. besides, Milmar would NEVER do that to the fans. they know how upset we got over the season 3 final, even with us knowing she was going to be okay, to do it for real would be so cruel the show would die in like an episode – this is coming from a major fan of the show as well.
      and if you want to talk about a drawn out will they won’t they storyline have a look at NCIS. Tiva, they have been maybeing for the last 7 seasons. now that is milking it out.

• P says:

Oh thank god, someone else who finds Beckett as irritating as I do. This would make my year and actually make Castle as awesome as it could be.

43. Cellar Door says:

My guess is Wilson from House. Major character? Check. Incredibly popular? Check. Hit drama series? Check.

It will kill what little is left of House, but what can you do, when TPTB have been blind since the end of season 3?

• Cellar Door says:

Unless – of course – this Ausiello’s spoiler is as legit as “HIMYM’s Robin is totally pregnant, y’all” was; in which case, you can rest assure that the character in question will live happily and reach 120 years of age. :/

• Angela says:

Ugh..Did I miss his explanation to that spoiler? I hated the episode and one of the reasons was because Michael spoiled that she was definitely pregnant and she definitely wasn’t.

• Cellar Door says:

The framing device for that episode was completely mean (only thinking about it makes me sad), but all in all it was an interesting and deep episode.
          What bothered me (and other people, BTW) about that rubbish Ausiello’s spoiler was that a week worth of speculation before the episode aired was literally WASTED, since most people had taken Robin’s pregnancy as a given.

Long story short: Ausiello better get his stuff right before he delivers spoilers to the world.

• Dot says:

My first thought was Greg House. I have watched this show from the beginning, including this dreadful current season. The only way to get the buzz back for this fading show would be to kill the lead character. And this kind of dark finale fits perfectly with David Shore’s grim vision of the world. And with Greg Yaitanes’ juvenile addiction to ” kaboom!”

44. Ethan says:

What’s key is that he said he couldn’t imagine the show without them. That’s why I’m leaning more toward something like Meredith Grey instead of a procedural where the characters really aren’t as important.

45. Michael says:

Is “says the spy” a clue?

46. Jim says:

I was thinking more along the lines of McDreamy… Dempsey hasn’t been happy with that show in ages…

47. Silvia says:

For some reason I think it will be someone from NCIS… Perhaps even on the 200th episode. At least that is my guess. Who is another question, but one I cannot answer just yet.

• Svenja says:

I doubt it. They are all contracted and won’t mess with the dynamic of the show. This time, I don’t believe it will be NCIS.
      It must be some other show

• Kassie says:

That and we already had a major death last year with *spoiler* Mike Franks getting killed. They wouldn’t kill another person so soon….right?

• Blix says:

Mike Franks was a major death? For Gibbs, definitely. For Tony, maybe. for everyone else? That hokey “everybody crying over MIke Franks when none of them have ever spent more than 2 minutes with him” was ridiculous. Not to mention, for Ziva being so teary-eyed over it, she was the only one NOT in attendance at his funeral.

• Blix says:

Contracts are NOT iron-clad protection. They all have riders allowing for termination at any time for any reason.

• sophie says:

I was thinking the same thing. I think Gibbs or Ducky & I am actually leaning toward Gibbs.

48. cyloncaprica says:

Wasn’t there a blind item recently about a Walking Dead actor who wanted to leave the after Darabont was fired, then changed his mind, but TPTB decided to go along with it anyhow? Back then I thought it’s Laurie Holden or DeMunn who previously worked with Darabont. But maybe it was Lincoln, Callis or Bernthal?

• Claire says:

That is what I was thinking! I’m saying yes on the Walking Dead. I say Laurie is down for the count.

• Babs Bladdyblah says:

I’m thinking Carol was the one who wanted to leave. Dale is way too important for them to kill off. My Christmas wish is that no one on the show dies. I hope they live forever… killing zombies everyday. Best show on tele besides Breaking Bad.

49. Ellen S. says:

Pivotal? I wouldn’t notice if Nick didn’t make it into an episode.