Do We Spy a Chuck Spinoff? Does Deb's Love Kill the Dexter Cliffhanger? And More TV Questions!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, here are some queries we are going to throw at you, from shows such as Chuck, Homeland, American Horror Story, The X Factor and more!

1 | How did Chuck‘s Ellie and Awesome escape the moving limo last week when it had been purposely established that the driver locked the doors? That nitpick aside, who else would totally tune in for a spinoff called The Awesomes?

2 | Why did Saturday Night Live host Jimmy Fallon conspicuously fail to pretend-play the keyboard at all, as is tradition, during “I Wish It Was Christmas Today”? Did he just, like, forget?

3 | Not having watched the fourth hour of Today in quite some time, we’re wondering: Does Hoda Kotb really have a new boyfriend, or is that something SNL‘s Kristen Wiig (as Kathie Lee Gifford) cooked up in her own twisted mind?

4 | Can anyone explain why Coach didn’t decide to bring Brandon — a player who was guaranteed to get zero jury votes — all the way to Survivor: South Pacific‘s final three? Albert may not have played the brightest strategic game, but he was right about Sophie being a much bigger threat to take home the big cash prize.

5 | Has any show had a freshman season as taut from start to finish as Homeland? It’s hard to think of one…. Speaking of the stellar Showtime drama, forget the finale’s bunker scenes — was anyone else terribly anxious as Brody kept fidgeting with his vest and its trigger at the house, with daughter Dana just down the hall?

6 | Did Deb’s confession of love to Dexter take all the suspense out of the cliffhanger? Does anyone really think she’s going to turn her brother in now?

7 | Of all the anachronistic finds to deposit in the mysterious Badlands area, Terra Nova couldn’t think of one that didn’t instantly evoke Lost’s Black Rock?

8 | How does The Closer‘s Anthony Dennison take a fleeting exchange between Flynn and a random hit-and-run victim and effectively wrench our heart with it?

9 | Did a barefoot Kelly Clarkson lose her shoes during VH1 Divas Celebrate Soul? And how amazing did The Good Wife‘s Archie Panjabi look while introducing London soul?

10 | Is there anything more nightmare-inducing on TV right now than the PAM “talking muffins” ad? Seriously, these critters could launch their own horror franchise!

11 | Anyone else still curious what’s up with Guy Branum’s vanishing act from the Chelsea Lately roundtable?

12 | Wait, so Glee landed both Academy Award winner Helen Mirren and NeNe Leakes? In the same week? How does that happen?

13 | Before the Ramos family evacuated the American Horror Story ‘Murder House,’ did they even stop for a second to reconsider the fact that the kitchen sink has a pasta faucet? A pasta faucet, people!

14 | Did the musclebound Cylons dancing to “They Don’t Care About Us” on Wednesday’s X Factor performance finale make you more or less inclined to check out Cirque du Soleil’s Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour? (We’re going firmly with the latter option.)

15 | Did anyone find it vexing that in Thursday’s two-hour finale, The X Factor relegated Season 1 standouts Drew Ryniewicz, Marcus Canty, and Astro to a verse or a line on A-list guest performers’ numbers, and reduced Rachel Crow to a painful bit of shtick with Steve Jones? Yet another way that Simon Cowell’s bloated, noisy import is inferior to American Idol.

16 | Mad Men, 30 Rock, SNL and now the ultimate Secret Santa gift on Conan — is Jon Hamm the best or what?

1. Grace says:

Uh, Deb’s feelings did in no way kill the cliff hanger. Even if she didn’t love him that way, she never would have turned him in. He is literally all she has. What’s interesting is how she’s going to deal with it and how it’s going to affect the characters’ relationship.
    I wish the critics understood this show better. Season 6 was by no means it’s best, but you all really don’t get it. At all.

• Brendan says:

It seems to me like a lot of critics and fans have a really short attention span for shows. I frequently find other fans complaining about shows not being good anymore in season 5 or 6 or 7, when I’m still quite enjoying them. I would put the last two seasons of Dexter in that category – I really liked seasons 5 and 6 (they weren’t quite as good as 2 and 4, but those were some of the greatest tv in recent history), but a bunch of fans started groaning about random complaints that I didn’t think had much merit. Just a theory.

• Elizabeth says:

I have to agree. Time and time again I see fans and critics alike turn on shows after they have hit a certain amount of seasons. Sometimes it seems like it happens as it’s the ‘cool’ thing to do. And no matter what they complain about every little thing.

I continue to enjoy Dexter. Yes, certain seasons have been stronger than others but it’s still a great show IMHO compared to other TV programs out there. And it still gets good numbers for Showtime. I will be watching until the very end.

• Benny says:

I agree…don’t fu** with Dexter is the bottom line here…

I mean he will cut you into pieces…just saying.

• cj says:

i wish the writers understood how dumb i think this “deb loves dexter” plot line is. it just feels sooooo wrrooonnng. call me a squabbler, a nit picker, what have you, but i just cannot imagine this sibling love idea going anywhere at all convincing or appropriate. then again, it’s Dexter, and it’s Showtime, so if anyone has the resources to make something like this work, it’s premium cable.

• hrerscs says:

X Factor’s LeRoy Bell on Why He Peformed Only Cover Tunes, and His Unlikely J.Lo Connection

2. TJ says:

#4: First of all, anyone OTHER than Sophie would have lost the final challenge, therefore guaranteeing Ozzy a win. But besides that, as Sophie stated in her interview with Rob Cesternino, Brandon was actually a likeable guy. Most of his outbursts were PRE-merge, and he was a kid who had a hard life and was trying to make it better and do the right thing. Sophie said he would often tell her about wanting to go get his GED and start a business or something like that. The point is, we clearly got an edit of Brandon that was not entirely comprehensive.

• Rolfe says:

It was also never mentioned on the show how close Coach and Sophie were. The edit basically just focused on the returning players and the crazy Brandon.

• Rea says:

Yea somewhere around about 5 weeks prior to the finale Brandon became really likeable (at least for me). In the early days I was really concerned for his mental health but then as you learn more about him you could understand why he was the way he was. I think he could have won it if he made it to the end BUT if Sophie wasn’t in the last challenge Ozzie would have had the million regardless.

3. Ryan says:

RE: #1
    It was a directorial misdirect. The driver wasn’t trying to lock the Awesomes in. Locking the doors when the car starts is kind of a normal thing to do. They focused on it to make you THINK they were being kidnapped. It was Beckman’s man, though, they weren’t actually being kidnapped.

4. Carmichael says:

> who else would totally tune in for a spinoff called The Awesomes?

If for no other reason than it means Ellie’s NOT the death.

• Ari says:

I actually really dislike the actress that plays Ellie. She is very one note in all of her emotions, its like widen eyes step forward hand on Chuck’s arm and that is how she expresses every single emotion. I would not watch The Awesomes. I would watch The John Casey show though (although I have been getting the feeling he is not getting out of this season alive).

5. KP says:

Jimmy Fallon never played along in Wish It Was Christmas. He hits the keys to change the key of the music. He did it the exact same we he always had. The real question is how drunk Chris Kataan was.

• em says:

LOL. I kept looking at Chris Kattan wondering what he was smoking in every skit. But then again, I often wondered that when he was a regular.

6. Danielle H says:

ROFLMAO @ the Jon Hamm video on Conan. Priceless.

7. Winnie says:

Even though I didn’t have the usual 3-4 that I say, “you tell ‘em, TV line” on (though #16 is up there), I have to say that this is one of my favorite features on the site.

#17 – was there a 2nd melty sunman on the Frosty knoll?

8. Laurel says:

I agree with you about Homeland.
    What a Great Show.
    I don’t think that there was a weak episode all season.
    That vest was making me a nervous wreck !
    The scene you describe was pretty bad but he was driving around in the car with his family and a freaking BOMB.

Deb falling in love with Dexter is a cringe worthy storyline.
    I love Dexter but this wasn’t the best his best season.
    I will be tuning in for the last 2 seasons though. Let’s hope that they don’t over do the Deb falling for her brother bit.

9. Kim R says:

#6. Hopefully Deb’s witnessing the Dark Passenger in Dexter will put an end to the storyline they began with her inappropriate feelings for her brother. It is offensive to those of us who have grown up with adopted siblings in our families. There is no difference.
    #8. The Closer episode was amazingly well done. There are no words.:)

10. nicky says:

#6 It’s not about whether or not Deb will turn Dexter in. She won’t. She never would have. nNot even back in season 1.

It’s about how what she saw will change how she feels. And that IS a pretty good plotline to explore.

11. Martijn Takke says:

My 2 cents on question #6:
    No, I don’t think it took out all the drama. It will be interesting to see how the realisation that Dexter’s a killer (though maybe not yet realising he’s the actual Bay Harber Butcher) will crush her idolised view of him and what negative spiral it’ll put her through. But: I see lots of people commenting on the fact that her love for him isn’t actually incestuous since they’re not blood relatives. It was already stated in the series that Harry Morgan had a secret affair with his informant, Dexter’s mom. Do people really think it was just random choice for Harry to decide to adopt Dexter and not Brian? I don’t think so. Though it hasn’t been revealed yet (and maybe it never will but I believe it was at one time an intent) I do believe Dex & Deb are actually related through Harry.

• B says:

Except for the fact in Season 1 it was confirmed that Harry is NOT Dexters bio dad.

• Torpel says:

Yea a lot of people seem to gloss over that whole episode where they went to Dex’s bio dads house and cleaned it up after he died and Dex did a blood test on him to check. It was the first episode where Dex met Brian I think. His dad had that spiderweb tattoo on his elbow.

• Ashley says:

No idea how people keep “forgetting” that fact. Refresher course, anyone?

12. Jessica says:

9. Given that Kelly usually performs barefoot on tour and that she stepped in a pothole and sprained her ankle just prior to the taping, I think the better question is how the shoes stayed on for her first two segments on Divas.

13. Rachael says:

#6 – The Deb incestuous love storyline is SO ridiculously unnecessary that I feel totally insulted as a viewer. WHY wasn’t it enough for the writers that the guy is her frakking BROTHER … how is that NOT enough to make her feel conflicted about whether to turn him in!!?? Now she’s gotta be IN LOVE with him too??

The whole thing just makes ZERO sense and they gave us ZERO explanation as to how Deb went from thinking the shrink was CRAZY for suggesting this, to suddenly being all like, “OMG he’s the love of my life!!” in a matter of a couple/few days. Absurd, ridiculous, gross, awful, and it probably killed the whole series for me.

• Aussie says:

That revelation has been coming since season one really, if you look back it’s just a matter of time until she realised it. Shrink only helped her get there faster

• Kim R says:

I could not agree more with what you said. One of my brothers was adopted when I was 4. He was an infant. I don’t care if we have the same biological parents or not, it is not acceptable and it is a really badly thought out plot twist. It offends me to suggest that adopted siblings are any less family and therefore it is okay to lust after them. Dexter is one of my top 5 shows & I am so disappointed in this direction. I personally don’t find it believable at all, even in the fictional world of Dexter. :(

• Ari says:

Agreed! I was adopted and my older bro was about 18 months at the time he is my brother I am his sister regardless of blood. I also agree that it’s a bit insulting in that it makes adopted sibs seem like not part of the family. I don’t care about Deb’s feelings, she just wants someone to love her (and someone who is so like Harry would be a perfect pick) but Dexter would never reciprocate. Could you imagine the kind of sh*tstorm it would bring down on them? The scrutiny he would be under? His whole life has been about blending in so he doesn’t get caught. I feel like if Dexter reciprocates the feelings then I’m out. It is totally out of character for him.

14. TimWnTX says:

1. Would watch the Awesomes. 6. It’d be a nice twist if Dexter killed Deb in the first episode of the new season, but no, she’ll be torn about what to do. I doubt she’ll think she’s in love now. lol 9. Kelly Clarkson sprained her ankle and wore heels the first 2 segments and I understood why she was barefoot later. Did U not notice the ace bandage around her foot? 13. The Ramos fleeing almost made me laugh at the fact that mother and father got out to the car first and were honking and yelling for their son. “hey mom and dad, thanks for NOT bothering to check on me before you TWO got out of the house.” lol

15. Jessica says:

# 11 – I’ve wondered that for over a year now…..Guy never answers the question on Twitter and Chelsea made a remark about him indirectly a couple of weeks ago. Plus I’m pretty sure Heather McDonald’s chapter in Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me had parts about Guy because I know they were office mates and she told stories about her “gay office mate” and the timeline of that story was when he was around not Fortune Feimster like she wrote.

• rebecca says:

Ya a couple of weeks ago Chelsea made a comment about a gay guy who never shut up. I assumed she was talking about Guy. She probably fired him.

16. Edlweiss1 says:

#8. I felt the exact same way. Denison was amazing and startlingly affective. What a wonderfully emotional scene. Kudos to The Closer.

17. Martijn Takke says:

Aha, well there goes my theory, down the drain. I missed that very important fact, thanks for clarifying :-)

18. Heather says:

3. Yes, Hoda has a boyfriend, she talks about him a lot
    9. Kelly performs barefoot all the time, not just on tour, but in other tv appearances. It’s more of a surprise when she DOES wear shoes when he’s performing!

19. Jon says:

I would so totally watch a show based on the Awesomes… as long as the unbearable Jeffster wasn’t a part of it.

20. Rachael says:

#11 – Holy crap I didn’t even notice that but yeah whatever happened to that guy!?

#1 – My husband was totally annoyed about the door-locking thing too. ;-)

#5 – Homeland has been brilliant and I was nervous about EVERY scene with the vest!

21. Brock says:

#15 – I much prefer X Factor to Idol. I love the style and even though there was game-play in keeping Marcus over Rachel and Drew (!) it would be better keeping the best in than those who slide through in Idol.
    I was annoyed with how little Drew and Racehl got to do in the Finale. I wanted to hear VOICES!
    Can’t wait for their albums. :)
    Those were the bad moments of a stellar finale for me.

• Tess says:

I prefer X Factor to Idol as well. I’ve been a fan of the UK version prior to the American one starting up so I knew what was coming…over there, the finale featured the final 2 mostly (they each performed 3 songs: a reprise of their favorite from the season, a Christmas song, and their version of the winner’s single; the night before they did two: one new song and a duet – with their mentors as it happened to be – and the third place act was eliminated that night)and a handful of special guests. The other contestants were only featured in an opening medley and then not seen again until they rushed the stage when the winning act, Little Mix, performed their new single. So it didn’t surprise me to see the other contestants so little…if anything it was a surprise given the UK version focusing more on the finalists than the ousted contestants.

22. DiDiMcG says:

I would definately watch The Awesomes. It could follow the Jeffster spin-off show.

23. martim cardoso says:

1 – Oh yeah! totally a spinoff! …The Awesomes… sounds good, is that just a suggestion made by you?

24. verkisto says:

I figured a Casey/Gertrude/Morgan/Alex spinoff would be the way to go but I would watch an Awesomes spinoff. McPartlin’s teeth are mesmerizing.

25. Derrick says:

I would follow a Chuck spin-off called the Awesomes…but that’s because Captain Awesome is one of my favourite characters, that’s all.

26. EddieZ says:

It is called a “Pasta Arm” not a “Pasta Faucet” and it is located at the stove not the sink… and yes, it is totally worth it. I would kill for one! Ghosts be damned. They also referenced it in another episode when Vivian thought Nora was interested in buying, Nora thought it was horrible… she is wrong, probably due to the head wound.

27. Claire says:

Of course I would watch the Awesomes !

And this season of dexter sucked on every level, any emmy nomination would be a joke. Anyway I agree about the love confession, it made no sence, it’s disgusting, it ruins what remained of the show. This scene was supposed to be sooo great. But instead we got incest. Yeah I’m pissed, disappointed mostly.

28. Ethel says:

Tony Dennison has been fabulous the past couple of Closer episodes. I really hope he will be around for Major Crimes, which I think he will be along with his sidekick

29. Psiqueue says:

Re #7 Terra Nova & the ship’s statue- yeah, I flash not on “Lost” (after all, how the Black Rock ended up on the island was explained- eventually), but on the idea that the Badlands is going to be the end spot for the Bermuda Triangle; that over time, we are going to end up seeing a pair of captain’s wings or a maybe a letter from Aaron Burr to his daughter or other Bermuda Triangle disappearance related items.

30. Ana Muller says:

#6 Did anyone think she was going to turn her brother in before? Because I didn’t.

31. sam says:

ugh, the deb being in love with dex subplot completely ruined what would have been an otherwise horrible-season-redeeming-cliffhanger. it may be superficial, but this plot may actually have some hindsight effects in making me like the show less in general (kind of like how izzie and george made me like grey’s less, and rebecca and justin made me like brothers and sisters less). it kind of sullies the good name the show once had, you know? regardless, this past season was just as bad as season 3, and possibly worse because it did something so completely radical (deb loves dexter). i’m one of the few fans that really enjoyed julia stiles and season 5, but this season was just so poorly written and acted (omg colin hanks, what happened to that boy we fell in love with on roswell???) that i’m sure critics of season 5 would agree there is some irreconcilable damages done to this franchise :/

32. Kasey says:

I guess I’m one of the few who doesn’t mind the Deb/Dexter thing…I don’t mind it because I don’t think they’re actually going to take it all the way. I’m assuming that now that she’s figured it out (well part of it…she doesn’t know the extent of it yet) she won’t feel the same way about him. And of course she isn’t going to turn him in, she never would have. I think people are acting too prematurely on the whole thing and should wait and see where they take it first.

• florence says:

Right? I’m of the opinion that everyone should just let the writers go where they may. This show has always been controversial, it’s main goal is to mess with people’s moral compasses, so it’s not like it has an obligation to keep things “socially acceptable”, it’s about a serial killer for god’s sake.

33. Annie says:

“How does The Closer‘s Anthony Dennison take a fleeting exchange between Flynn and a random hit-and-run victim and effectively wrench our heart with it?” THIS, a thousand times over. I was WRECKED by that short scene! Dennison is so freaking talented, and vastly underappreciated — and I’ll include myself in that underappreciative audience, at least ’til that scene. Really well done.

34. Julio says:

Re: No. 7, yeah, I did flash on “Lost,” but in a GOOD way. And an important difference, when the Black Rock showed up on “Lost,” we didn’t know wtf was going on, and the time-travel element hadn’t been added to the show yet. With “Terra Nova,” time (and relative dimensions) travel is a major part of the premise of the show; this is simply showing that the warps have been going on a lot longer than anyone has known. I think it’s a great set-up for year two and I’m hoping the show gets renewed.

35. Kevin M. says:

re: #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4mRUmmtDgA I actually saw this commercial for Shaw’s, not Albertson’s, and I’m pretty sure there was more singing/dancing fruit and less random-other-stuff… but yeah.

And I’d TOTALLY tune in for “The Awesomes.” Or “The John Casey Show.” Or “Chuck, Season 6.” Sigh.

36. PJM says:

Given some of the crap they green-lit this season, a Chuck spin-off featuring the Awesomes isn’t a half-bad idea. Very Moonlighting-crossed with James Bond. Ryan McPartlin is already showing up as a guest on a bunch of different shows, so he might want to ride this momentum as far as he can.

BTW, can you totally picture Sarah Lancaster taking over for Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune? Vanna looks kinda scary up-close these days. Damn botox.

37. Cinders says:

Re: #3 Hoda Kotb’s boyfriend Jay does exist. She has seen several pictures of them when they were on vacation.