AMC's Hell on Wheels Renewed for Season 2

Get More: News, Renewals

Cullen Bohannon & Co. are making tracks for Season 2.

AMC has renewed the freshman series Hell on Wheels for a second run, our sister site Deadline.com reports. The period drama opened strongly last month, with 4.4 million total viewers, giving AMC its second-highest-rated series premiere behind the zombie phenom The Walking Dead.

Following Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and The Killing, Hell on Wheels represents the fifth out of six AMC original series to live on beyond Season 1, with only Rubicon falling short.

Currently on its holiday break, Hell on Wheels will air its eighth episode on Sunday, Jan. 1 at 10/9c.

Comments (40)

• Great news! I was hoping for a second season, and it looks like an early Christmas gift. :-)

The series started out slowly, but the past three episodes were very good.

Comment by BNEA – December 23, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome i love this early Christmas gift =] i have enjoyed this 1st season so far & its good to know that i can look forward to more once this season ends =]

Comment by darklady65 – December 23, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A great Xmas giftie!! My guilty pleasure but I LOVE this show.

Comment by CosmaB – December 23, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see AMC support the show and give it more time to grow. I love dark Westerns and I think this show has done a good job introducing us to this world. For someone who has been mostly a supporting actor, I think Anson Mount has done a great job as Bohannon.

Comment by Don J – December 23, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay,an early Christmas present !

Comment by Laurel – December 23, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent decision by AMC, as usual……HoW has kinda gotten off to a slow start(then again I’ve only seen up to Episode 3 so far), but you can just tell that there is so much room to grow and so many rich storytelling options and different directions they can take with the characters.

Comment by TheDude – December 23, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show. I’m glad to see a western back on tv. So happy AMC renewed it.

Comment by Kat – December 23, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good news. I’ve loved HoW from the start.

Comment by PJL – December 23, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about this news!

Comment by Eliza – December 23, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome decision. Walking dead is my favorite show right now and this show is really growing on me too. last episode was one of my favs of the season. this is great news. AMC rocks! Forget about the cbs, abc, fox, and nbc networks!

Comment by jonathon – December 23, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news. I’m happy to see a western back on television. Anson Mount is great as Bohannon. I like early Christmas gifts.

Comment by Juliab. – December 23, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just isnt clicking for me. I have to accept the fact it wont turn into Deadwood at any point. Good on the cast and crew getting paid for another season though, thats got to be good news around the holiday season.

Comment by Gorm – December 23, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, but this looks to be an expensive show and that money could certainly be spent on a better one!! I don’t know ANYBODY that watches this show so I am certainly surprised it got renewed. It’s last episode got lower ratings than The Killing Finale, which doesn’t bode well for a Season 3.

Comment by KevyB – December 24, 2011 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news, just hoping they get more lines and scenes to the women on the show. :)

Comment by nitemar – December 23, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Addicted to this show! So happy to see it will be continued!

Comment by Emily – December 23, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! This is a quality show. Thanks AMC for keeping it on!

Comment by Lynn – December 23, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ecstatic about this show! Absolutely wonderful, awesome to hear it’s returning. However, I don’t understand why every time I look at a Hell on Wheels post people get infuriated about it being a rip off of Deadwood. I mean, other than being Westerns, they are completely different, not to mention made by different networks. Both are great, but I’m glad there’s a new Western out now, not another law or cop procedural. Hope Hell on Wheels lasts!

Comment by Amy – December 23, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deadwood was a great shows. H.o.W. is a show with potential but so far very little of what’s happened 7 episodes in has very little season 1 endgame. The character are not being serviced well.

Comment by George – December 24, 2011 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t get a better christmas gift! I was fearing the worst, what with sites like TVLine virtually never reporting anything on the show, making me fear that no one but me was watching it.

Comment by Kasper – December 24, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though Rubicon never made it to a second season, it was an absolutely brilliant show. I really wish it had been renewed. Honestly, I vastly preferred Rubicon to The Killing.

Comment by DL – December 24, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this makes me so happy!!! love that show.

Comment by a women – December 24, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liv this show Evan though I’m only 12 its still really good that’s commingled from an sevanth grader
    me+hell on wheels=<3

Comment by kelly – December 25, 2011 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was certainly a show that needs some time to get into…. Based on AMC track record, I was willing to give it time… And it has paid off!!

Comment by Doug-H – December 26, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news for a great show. In some of the above listed comments I see some people comparing HOW with deadwood. Although, I was a great fan of DEADWOOD, it can not be compared. Deadwood was about a growing town and all the trappings that went along with the evolution of such. This show is constantly moving much like the railroad around which it is focussed.It was slow starting but it has been developing and progressing steadily throughout,and especially within the last few episodes. AMC has a great record of supporting promising programs, with the exeption of Rubicon which I though was a much more intelligent and intriguing show than The Killing. Cudos for AMC.

Comment by Garrett – December 28, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOOOOOOVE Hell On Wheels! So glad it will be back for a 2nd season.

Comment by Lee – December 29, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When are they going to give Chris Hyerdahl the billing he deserves?

Comment by Marion – January 8, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m nt much for westerns (at all) bt I absolutely love Hell on Wheels!..I’m REALLY disappointed the season is now over :(

Comment by kimi – January 15, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe that hell on wheels is a very interesting program.Hope to see more of it.

Comment by Bill Bell – January 15, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this series and looking forward to the second part. From beginning to end it was fantistic The music I love. Which i would love to buy..

Comment by thelma williams – May 30, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Ho

Comment by Edward DeHappart – January 18, 2012 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed HoW/the program grows more exciting after every episode

Comment by Edward DeHappart – January 18, 2012 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally love this show, I cant wait for sunday night to watch it, im sooooo sick of doctor shows an cop shows, its so refreshing to watch a western again, i grew up in the western era, an believe me some were really good, but this is over the top for me,,, its like something i would go to the movies to watch, I love all the cast,,, its so exciting,,,,

Comment by linda – January 19, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will Hell On Wheel re air from this date. 1-28-2010

Comment by Charles sampson – January 28, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL ON WHEELS IS MY FAVORITE END TO EVERY WEEKEND…

Comment by debbie kniess – February 9, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How the best western since gunsmoke thanks for brining westerns back see u in the new year roy barricks lafayette indana 47909

Comment by roy barricks – June 2, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show I hope for many more seasons!

Comment by Toughbook – August 22, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent TV show. After causing the deaths of so many innocent people, Gunther should not have been allowed such an easy death. I thought Lilly Bell was an excellent character in the show, so why is she dead?

Comment by Nightowl872 – October 8, 2012 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for season 3 to air. This is by far the best new series in a long time. Please find a way to bring back Lilly Bell, she can’t be dead.

Comment by antiqpkr – October 8, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope hell on wheels will continue on another season it is a exciting and interesting program

Comment by Edward DeHappart – October 17, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post