AMC's Hell on Wheels Renewed for Season 2

Cullen Bohannon & Co. are making tracks for Season 2.

AMC has renewed the freshman series Hell on Wheels for a second run, our sister site Deadline.com reports. The period drama opened strongly last month, with 4.4 million total viewers, giving AMC its second-highest-rated series premiere behind the zombie phenom The Walking Dead.

Following Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and The Killing, Hell on Wheels represents the fifth out of six AMC original series to live on beyond Season 1, with only Rubicon falling short.

Currently on its holiday break, Hell on Wheels will air its eighth episode on Sunday, Jan. 1 at 10/9c.

1. BNEA says:

Great news! I was hoping for a second season, and it looks like an early Christmas gift. :-)

The series started out slowly, but the past three episodes were very good.

2. darklady65 says:

awesome i love this early Christmas gift =] i have enjoyed this 1st season so far & its good to know that i can look forward to more once this season ends =]

3. CosmaB says:

A great Xmas giftie!! My guilty pleasure but I LOVE this show.

4. Don J says:

Good to see AMC support the show and give it more time to grow. I love dark Westerns and I think this show has done a good job introducing us to this world. For someone who has been mostly a supporting actor, I think Anson Mount has done a great job as Bohannon.

5. Laurel says:

Yay,an early Christmas present !

6. TheDude says:

Excellent decision by AMC, as usual……HoW has kinda gotten off to a slow start(then again I’ve only seen up to Episode 3 so far), but you can just tell that there is so much room to grow and so many rich storytelling options and different directions they can take with the characters.

7. Kat says:

I absolutely love this show. I’m glad to see a western back on tv. So happy AMC renewed it.

8. PJL says:

Very good news. I’ve loved HoW from the start.

9. Eliza says:

Happy about this news!

10. jonathon says:

awesome decision. Walking dead is my favorite show right now and this show is really growing on me too. last episode was one of my favs of the season. this is great news. AMC rocks! Forget about the cbs, abc, fox, and nbc networks!

11. Juliab. says:

Excellent news. I’m happy to see a western back on television. Anson Mount is great as Bohannon. I like early Christmas gifts.

12. Gorm says:

This show just isnt clicking for me. I have to accept the fact it wont turn into Deadwood at any point. Good on the cast and crew getting paid for another season though, thats got to be good news around the holiday season.

• KevyB says:

Yes, but this looks to be an expensive show and that money could certainly be spent on a better one!! I don’t know ANYBODY that watches this show so I am certainly surprised it got renewed. It’s last episode got lower ratings than The Killing Finale, which doesn’t bode well for a Season 3.

13. nitemar says:

Great news, just hoping they get more lines and scenes to the women on the show. :)

14. Emily says:

Addicted to this show! So happy to see it will be continued!

15. Lynn says:

So excited! This is a quality show. Thanks AMC for keeping it on!

16. Amy says:

Ecstatic about this show! Absolutely wonderful, awesome to hear it’s returning. However, I don’t understand why every time I look at a Hell on Wheels post people get infuriated about it being a rip off of Deadwood. I mean, other than being Westerns, they are completely different, not to mention made by different networks. Both are great, but I’m glad there’s a new Western out now, not another law or cop procedural. Hope Hell on Wheels lasts!

• George says:

Deadwood was a great shows. H.o.W. is a show with potential but so far very little of what’s happened 7 episodes in has very little season 1 endgame. The character are not being serviced well.

17. Kasper says:

Couldn’t get a better christmas gift! I was fearing the worst, what with sites like TVLine virtually never reporting anything on the show, making me fear that no one but me was watching it.

18. DL says:

Though Rubicon never made it to a second season, it was an absolutely brilliant show. I really wish it had been renewed. Honestly, I vastly preferred Rubicon to The Killing.

19. a women says:

this makes me so happy!!! love that show.

20. kelly says:

Liv this show Evan though I’m only 12 its still really good that’s commingled from an sevanth grader
    me+hell on wheels=<3

21. Doug-H says:

This was certainly a show that needs some time to get into…. Based on AMC track record, I was willing to give it time… And it has paid off!!

22. Garrett says:

Great news for a great show. In some of the above listed comments I see some people comparing HOW with deadwood. Although, I was a great fan of DEADWOOD, it can not be compared. Deadwood was about a growing town and all the trappings that went along with the evolution of such. This show is constantly moving much like the railroad around which it is focussed.It was slow starting but it has been developing and progressing steadily throughout,and especially within the last few episodes. AMC has a great record of supporting promising programs, with the exeption of Rubicon which I though was a much more intelligent and intriguing show than The Killing. Cudos for AMC.

23. Lee says:

LOOOOOOVE Hell On Wheels! So glad it will be back for a 2nd season.

24. Marion says:

When are they going to give Chris Hyerdahl the billing he deserves?

25. kimi says:

I’m nt much for westerns (at all) bt I absolutely love Hell on Wheels!..I’m REALLY disappointed the season is now over :(

26. Bill Bell says:

I believe that hell on wheels is a very interesting program.Hope to see more of it.

27. Edward DeHappart says:

I really enjoyed Ho

28. Edward DeHappart says:

I really enjoyed HoW/the program grows more exciting after every episode

29. linda says:

I totally love this show, I cant wait for sunday night to watch it, im sooooo sick of doctor shows an cop shows, its so refreshing to watch a western again, i grew up in the western era, an believe me some were really good, but this is over the top for me,,, its like something i would go to the movies to watch, I love all the cast,,, its so exciting,,,,

30. Charles sampson says:

When will Hell On Wheel re air from this date. 1-28-2010

31. debbie kniess says:

HELL ON WHEELS IS MY FAVORITE END TO EVERY WEEKEND…

32. roy barricks says:

How the best western since gunsmoke thanks for brining westerns back see u in the new year roy barricks lafayette indana 47909

33. Toughbook says:

Great show I hope for many more seasons!

34. Nightowl872 says:

Excellent TV show. After causing the deaths of so many innocent people, Gunther should not have been allowed such an easy death. I thought Lilly Bell was an excellent character in the show, so why is she dead?

35. antiqpkr says:

I can’t wait for season 3 to air. This is by far the best new series in a long time. Please find a way to bring back Lilly Bell, she can’t be dead.

36. i hope hell on wheels will continue on another season it is a exciting and interesting program