Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Castle's Time Trip, Supernatural, Revenge, Secret Circle and More

Is Castle fabulous in the ’40s? Which Revenge mainstay is about to become a lot more popular? Who is Sam Winchester’s “old friend”? Read on for those scoops, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

Your January Premieres and Returns Calendar

Castle | The more we hear about the ABC drama’s 1940s-set noir episode, the more killer-diller it sounds. Thus far we knew that Castle’s retro alter ego is a Sam Spade type, while Beckett transforms into a gangster’s moll – specifically, the arm candy of a crooked club owner played by Mark Pellegrino (Supernatural, The Closer). “Stana [Katic] looked fantastic,” Pellegrino told me of the costumed shoot. “I mean, she was dressed to kill.” Not that the fellas were slouches. “I loved being in those double-breasted suits, the pinstripes, hair slicked back…,” Pellegrino raved. “It was definitely a great thing.” Summing up his character, Pellegrino says that whereas Nathan Fillion made like Spade (“And he was so good at it”), he himself channeled James Cagney, rat-a-tat speech patterns and all. And though Beckett may be his gangster’s gal, Pellegrino says the brunette beauty’s angsty chemistry with Castle’s ’40s sleuth “mimics” what the duo share back at the NYPD.

Castle Is Heading for a Wedding – Will It Get Rick and Kate Ready for Romance?

Revenge | During Emily VanCamp’s visit to our NYC office, yes, I made the joke that Emily Thorne should seek revenge on Mother Nature for the hit-and-miss sun there in the Hamptons. But I also asked when Jack might seek some revenge for owning perhaps the least-crowded watering hole in summertime Hamptons history. “Yeah, but that’s about to change. You’ll see!” she smiled, hinting at happier days for the sad little Stowaway. “It’s about to become a pretty happening place!” What do you think brings about this boom in business? (Perhaps Amanda tending bar in her Daisy Dukes?)

Revenge Finds Its Grayson Patriarch in Knots Landing Alum William Devane

Hart of Dixie | If you reckon that Zoe will be angrier than a wet hen in a tote sack (thanks, Google!) when she sees her “dad” (guest star Gary Cole) for the first time in three years, you’d be right. She’ll have a whole speech planned, seeing as he, like her mother, concealed the truth about her actual paternity. But you know what they say about best laid plans, and Zoe’s rant – which Wade helps her script — will be at risk of going South when the elder Dr. Hart A) greets her with an unexpectedly warm embrace and then B) promptly invites her to assist him at the local hospital in a fancy-pants surgery.

Midseason Report Cards: Which Freshman Shows Are Making the Grade?

Supernatural | Speaking of TV shows flashing back to the 1940s – and we were – The CW has shared a provocative vittle about the Jan. 13 episode of Supernatural, in which the God of Time (Veronica Mars‘ Jason Dohring) sends Dean to 1944, where he is promptly cuffed by Eliot Ness (X-Files‘ Nicholas Lea). According to the official synopsis for the episode, “While trying to figure out how to retrieve his brother [from the past], Sam is surprised by the reappearance of an old friend.” Thus far, we’ve got two theories on this blast from the past. One, maybe Bobby is revealed as dead in the winter premiere (airing Jan. 6), and he’s the one who resurfaces. Or, Sam crosses paths with Sheriff Jody Mills, which jibes with actress Kim Rhodes’ recent tweet that she will reappear in an upcoming episode. What’s your theory, Superfans? (And keep in mind, it’ll be a couple weeks too soon for this return.)

Supernatural‘s Jim Beaver Set to Return to FX’s Justified — and Maybe For a While

The Secret Circle | TVLine recently tried to get some hints out of executive producer Andrew Miller about the second Blackwell child, but it was like trying to break into Fort Knox. Heck, he wouldn’t even spill whether it’s a guy or a girl. “I wish I could tell you!” he exclaimed. “I will say the identity of the second Balcoin kid will absolutely be revealed and is part of a much bigger piece of the mythology that we don’t yet know. So I would love to tell you who, but it would tip off some of the other super cool stuff that’s coming.”

Parenthood | Here’s hoping that the holiday season gifts you with much Kleenex, because before the NBC charmer’s third season wraps (on Feb. 28), Max is going to get a true blue, genuine f-r-i-e-n-d. I’d tell you more about how the lads, who are veritable twins, meet, and how Kristina and Adam react to the news of their first playdate, but we’d all get preemptively weepy, and as Tom Hanks once famously said, “There’s no crying in spoilers!”

Parenthood Exclusive: Dexter Grad Courtney Ford Makes a Play For Crosby

90210 | Though this CW series will [SPOILER ALERT] occupy a space on TVLine’s Most Disappointing Shows of 2011 list (posting next week), we admit to being a bit curious about what Michael Steger told us about the first episodes airing in the new year. “They’re going back to Season 1 and resolving some old storylines,” he teased. “Fans are going to really, really enjoy what they’re about to see.” Does this “interesting” bit of revisited history involve Navid himself? “I can’t really say anything,” the actor hedged, “because it’s a big reveal. And it is a good one.” Speculate away!

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Winnie says:

If Amanda doesn’t tend bar in some Daisy Dukes, will you then want Revenge?

I’m too amped about the big showdown teased in Winter Promos to process other Revenge developments…

2. M says:

90210 has been pretty bad this year. I’m hoping the storyline they revisit is Annie and Naomi’s shared half brother. Granted, it won’t have the same impact without the parents around, but they never resolved that storyline.

3. kevin says:

Thanks Matt for giving more inside scoop on one of my favorite drama series: PARENTHOOD. The show has been improving much this season even way better than the first two years and it truly shown the support that has given since the days FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS was when the melodrama ended but I don’t know for how long the family drama is going to last once NBC gets back from the ashes in the network ratings system.

4. James says:

90210. Dustin Milligan is back?

5. Gavin says:

Why would the Sheriff be Sam’s “old friend”??? It was Bobby’s friend, not really Sam’s.

Would Bobby be classed as an “old friend” he was more a surrogate father figure.

It’s probably someone who hasn’t been announced from the early seasons of the show.

6. Tracie says:

I want to know if the second Blackwell child is an actual offspring of John Blackwell and Cassie’s half brother/sister or if they are just another descendant. I can’t remember if they made this clear in the episode but it seems like right after the episode aired there were people who were confused about this as well.

• the watcher says:

I don’t remember the characters name, but in the last episode the grandmother started talking about that the principal had a thing for Blackwell, so my bet is her daughter is the other Blackwell child.

7. Brittney says:

I really want Sam’s old friend to be Balthazar. We never saw a his wingshot at the end of season 6 so I’ve always thought he may be alive. But I haven’t heard anything about Sebastian Roche back on the show.

8. VIPblonde says:

Re: SECRET CIRCLE – what are the odds that the second Blackwell child ISN’T Faye? Just saying

• Amy says:

You are righy, it is far too easy to think that the other Blackwell child is Faye!

• Kristen says:

Has it been said for certain the other Blackwell child is in the circle already? I think it has, but maybe not. I’m just curious as to why they weren’t able to do anything up to this point yet. All of them have been emotionally tested to the point that at least some independent magical reaction would’ve occurred like Cassie’s have.
        Faye is way too obvious. Jake and Adam would be too risky with their connection with Cassie. Diana would be a close second to being too obvious, given her unsaid standing as leader. Can’t even remember the other girl’s name, which goes to show she should’ve died and Nick should’ve stayed.

• Jen says:

I completely agree. I barely remember Melissa (that’s her name) from the books, assuming she’s even in it, but Nick was the icing on the square cake of Adam, Cassie, Diana, and Nick… I miss him. It was a mistake to kill him off. Definitely should have been that girl….

9. Natalie says:

“Castle” sounds like it has another cool episode in store for us soon. Looking forward to the episode from all the stuff you’ve written on it thus far. Pellegrino makes it sound pretty great, and I love his character in “The Closer”. He does a great job with that role and basing this one on the great Cagney sounds intriguing. I’ll be watching to see how it turns out. As always, thanks, Matt.

10. sladewilson says:

90210 – Dixon’s now trying to get into the music biz, right? Bring back Lauren London stat!!!!

11. Linda says:

I want Sam’s *old friend* to be Missouri but if that were the case, she’d sure be dead by the end of the episode.

• Cheryl says:

Missouri is who I’m hoping for too she fits the term “Old Friend” (Castiel doesn’t) and sadly this shows constant case of short sighted ness will have her dead by episodes end

12. Sophia says:

Can’t wait to see more Zoe and Wade!

13. Ariel says:

Sam’s old friend? Someone that would be alive back then… I’m inclined to guess one of the other hunters he worked with at some point. Maybe Gramps (Mitch Pileggi) with ‘old friend’ being totally sarcastic and the show going for another 2 for deal with Buffy/Angel’s Charisma and James only now we’ve got X-Files’ Nick and Mitch. Another hat tip to awesome scifi of the past.

14. sarah says:

Well personally I have enjoyed 90210 this year, except for Trevor Donovan’s departure

I am still not 100% sold on Secret Circle but am keeping with it for a few more episodes

Really like Hart of Dixie, and Zoe belongs with Wade but it will be a long time before they get together

I love Parenthood, one of the best shows on tv and it deserves 22 episodes not the 18 it has been given this season and the short first and second seasons

15. Maki says:

90210! I like some parts of the season and some part not so much! Austin and Naomi no gooo! Navid! Pleas kill him(as a Christmas gift), and Liam’s almost Milf story just bad!
    Adixxon, Naomi-Holly rivalry and coming back to LAnnie are the great part! Also bringing Arielle to the show Nice! So stick with that!
    I would love to see Dustin Milligan come back just as Emily and going crazy all Tuesday night!

16. Elizabeth says:

Am I reading a little too much into the “dressed to kill” comment or does it sound like my secret dream of Beckett-as-murder-suspect might actually come true? (hashtag: there’s a fanfic in there somewhere.)

17. verybookish says:

Love the Secret Circle, and can’t wait for it to come back in January!
    Any news about what’s going to be happening for Gale Harold’s character Charles Meade? I know there is a part for an ex-girlfriend – is she going to become a current girlfriend too? What will happen to the relationship between Charles and Dawn?
    Also, any word on a possible Faye/Diana relationship?

• Danielle H says:

I highly doubt there will be a lesbian relationship between Diana and Faye. There has been zero indication of that, and zero indication that they are even attracted to girls. Just do not see CW taking this there.
      Honestly, this series needs to step it up or I’m done. It is increasingly boring with bad acting.

• Carrie says:

I’m with you. Sometimes the writing on that show is horrible. I’m ready to give up on it as well. The characters are just not engaging enough.

• Jen says:

Faye and Diana are cousins in the books. That would be disgusting, even if they’re not cousins in the new TV series….

18. Mari says:

Castle’s noir episode sounds amazing! I can’t wait. Revenge, Hart of Dixie and Secret Circle are on my list too.

19. Anthony Newhall says:

That’s what I gathered from the finale, I really liked it though. Well, they wouldn’t go the incest route. So that leavea the 3 other girls. And I really doubt it’s going to be anyone bur Fay. I hope it’s hard though.

20. Anthony Newhall says:

I meant: I doubt it anyone but Fay, and I hope it’s her.

21. Anonymous says:

The question on who the second Blackwell child is on The Secret Circle is going to be like an itch I can’t reach. I can’t wait to find out who it is and now I can’t wait to find out how it will impact the story’s mythology on the show.

I think Faye is way too easy of a choice and is more of a red herring. I’m thinking Diana is the one! I mean can you picture the dark magical feud between Cassie and Diana if Cassie found out it was Charles (Gale Harold) who killed her mother and wanted to go after him? Sure, that would mean Charles wouldn’t be Diana’s real dad, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that he’s the only dad she ever knew. I think it would be epic!

January 5th couldn’t come fast enough!

22. Audrey says:

Castle!!! Is it February yet?!?

23. Kate says:

I can’t wait for this Castle episode! Love that you referred to it as “killer diller”! Not sure why, but it made me smile! Thanks for the scoop!

24. TJCrinc says:

the blast from the past that dean encounters could more then likely be Sam Colt, the demon killing gun making guy that helped him waste a phoenix.

25. Jem says:

The episode of Supernatural looks wonderful, I can’t wait for the day 6 January . :D

• Jemima Bessa says:

I totally agree with you! Bring Liomi back! Best chemistry that this show have. Liam and Naomi is the best couple, always. Navid and Adrianna i will love to see get back too :)
      Liam and Annie have no chemistry, i hate them together.

26. Ella says:

90210, back to season 1? PLEASE can we have Liam and Naomi back together already? Seriously, this entire Lannie business makes the bile rise in my throat. Aside from the fact that Annie is the most annoying person on earth, they have absolutely ZERO chemistry. Matt and Annalynne have chemistry like WHOA. So yes, let’s have them back, please.

27. Vignes says:

90210 >>> wow is that mean Navid and Ad will back together … i loving it …. honestly this yr the season pity boring and its seen their let things unsolved

thanks for scoop :)

ps:pls pls give some scoop regard CSI MIAMI (eric and calleigh)

28. SPNgrl89 says:

i agree w/ Gavin. Sheriff Jody was Bobby’s friend not Sam’s. no Bobby wouldn’t be classfied as “Old Friend”. cuz like u said he was like a 2nd father to Sam & Dean.

i also agree w/ Hyde. Misha Collins did tweet awhile back that he’s return but we don’t know as who. so it possible could b Misha hopefully as Castiel. *Crossing Fingers* :-)

29. Joe says:

Secret Circle..wouldn’t it just be crazy if Adam turns out to be the second Balcoin kid? That would throw a huge wrench in but I’d love to see where they would go with that!!