American Horror Story Season 2 Spoiler Alert: Find Out Who Will and Won't Be Back!

With American Horror Story‘s first season resting in peace, Ryan Murphy is turning his attention to the serial thriller’s second act.

The show’s cocreator confirms that Season 2 will be “radically different” from Season 1. That means a new setting/locale and a (mostly) new cast.

“The second season of the show will [feature] a brand new home or building to haunt,” Murphy said in a conference call with reporters on Thursday. “It will also have a new overriding theme.”

And in an unprecedented twist for an ongoing series, some current castmembers will return — but they’ll be playing new characters. (Murphy confirmed that current leads Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott will not be back, at least not as series regulars.) “There will be familiar faces and some new faces,” said Murphy. “People that are coming back will be playing completely new characters… Getting to tell a different aspect of what an American horror story can be [every season] is fascinating.”

Murphy added that he’s currently in talks with a few members of the Season 1 cast to return full time, but he declined to name names. An official announcement about the new ensemble and storyline will be made in February. In the meantime, Murphy offered this tantalizing tease: “There’s a clue in the last three episodes where we say what the second season will be.”

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Kaleigh says:

I’m willing to bet they take the story to Florida since that’s the place mentioned in the last few episodes (going to Viv’s sister’s in Florida). There’s some potential there. Plus, in theory, Constance could flee to Florida after baby Michael slices up that nanny, since his aunt in Florida is the only remaining family he has. I’m thinking Jessica Lange will be back for sure, and they may grab some other, talented actors for round 2. I’m a little bummed about saying goodbye to the old characters, but I’m sure there will be another adorably tortured boy in S2, since Tate’s character seemed to be such a big hit. Let’s hope they just stray far enough away that it doesn’t look like the same characters with different faces in a new location. I hope they shake it up a bit. :-)

2. jayy says:

I personally would love to see more Tate… I would like for this murder house to have 1 more season then they could move to another story…I feel like this house could be explored more.

3. alex milllay says:

if you don’t keep evan peters in the show i will be very upset because he was my favorite character & i have always loved his acting so if you take him off i will be very upset & i will no longer watch these episodes over and over again like i do now. i am already upset that the whole thing is changing because i just figured out this one & you didn’t really end it well. i don’t understand how 2 babies were just born and one of them is evil and then it just ends like that? that left everyone so confused and we need to be cleared up on what happened to all the characters late on, especially TATE LANGDON. i don’t know if you know but there are hundreds of videos dedicated to tate and violets relationship on youtube and i know thousands maybe millions of people will be upset if they don’t appear on the next season. heck, i won’t be as into it if EVAN PETERS (TATE LANGDON) isn’t on the show anymore!

4. alex millay says:

you don’t keep evan peters in the show i will be very upset because he was my favorite character & i have always loved his acting so if you take him off i will be very upset & i will no longer watch these episodes over and over again like i do now. i am already upset that the whole thing is changing because i just figured out this one & you didn’t really end it well. i don’t understand how 2 babies were just born and one of them is evil and then it just ends like that? that left everyone so confused and we need to be cleared up on what happened to all the characters late on, especially TATE LANGDON. i don’t know if you know but there are hundreds of videos dedicated to tate and violets relationship on youtube and i know thousands maybe millions of people will be upset if they don’t appear on the next season. heck, i won’t be as into it if EVAN PETERS (TATE LANGDON) isn’t on the show anymore! & they have a tumblr, twitter and facebook dedicated to him and his role in the show so it would be just PURE EVIL to take him off. and i really hope that the writer or producer of the show is reading this because if they’re not, i just wasted a bunch of my time and opinion and i feel like i just wrote an essay. SO PLEASE DON’T TAKE EVAN PETERS OUT OF THE SHOW, PLEASEEEEEE DON’T. his relationship with violet i thought was a big part of the whole show, and even though your basically starting a new one, it would still make a lot of people mad if you got rid of him and YOU wouldn’t like that now would you. so please, im begging you, don’t take him off. i know i am just one person, but i can promise you that millions are thinking the same thing but just aren’t voicing their opinions, which is why i am speaking for them. so hear me out, just don’t take EVAN PETERS out of the show. i just spent 10 minutes writing this whole thing and if he isn’t one next season i will be one unhappy camper and probably one less viewer not counting everyone else in america…. ahhhh i’m just kidding i can’t stop watching this show because im a big fan but thats besides the point, PLEASE KEEP EVAN PETERS on the show. and thank you for your time if you read all of this

5. Sarah says:

I should’ve known from the get-go that Ryan Murphy, the creator of possible the worst show on television, Glee, would have ruined the show like this. This was a great show and the cast certainly added something just short of perfection. I am horrified to see this decision made because I think this show had such amazing potential that is now going to be run into the ground. Hopefully at least Evan Peters will be back as he most certainly has a gift to portray a psychopath as menacing while he makes the viewer want to give him sympathy. Is it too soon to say R.I.P. American Horror Story?

6. Bob says:

Those complaining about the reboot:
    Murphy’s “anthology” plan was what made the show great. You think Jessica Lange, Connie Britton, etc would have even been on the show had they had to sign long-term contracts. That’s the reason they agreed to do it!
    The one-season-story allowed them to burn through plot at a fast pace–which was refreshing.

7. vasilis says:

As long as Jessica Lange and Frances Conroy are back I am ok :)

8. Phillip says:

All of you people who want the same characters back are missing the point. This is supposed to be a horror show. I am rarely spooked by movies or horror films but this show actually had some moments that were kinda scary. That is, until the last few episodes. By that point I knew these characters so well nothing was scary. It was more just character resolution. Which seems is what a lot of you want. I see all these people saying they need to know if Tate and violet get back together, what happens to the baby, does hayden get back at Vivian. That sounds like a soap opera not a horror story. That’s exactly why the writers wanted to take it a different directions. They did such a good job of writing these characters that viewers become attached and wanted a soap opera. Now they can have a new story that can actually frighten the viewer again. It’s refreshing. It’s makes me think of twilight zone. Just enjoy the ride. I’m sure the writers will bring in new characters that will fill the void of psycho killer Tate and violet.

9. Ana Muller says:

Evan Peters HAS to be back, he just has to! Jessica Lange too… but she probably will be, Murphy wouldn’t be that stupid (or would he?)

• Missy says:

Why would Ryan Murphy be stupid if Jessica Lange or Evan Peters decided not to come back? He has no control over what they do. I’m sure Evan has offers up the wazoo and Jessica Lange has said the only reason she did this season was because it was only 12 episodes. Seriously people.. change is good.

• dan says:

There’s always the possibility that part of the cast decides to leave, but if Murphy doesn’t do everything at his power to keep Lange he is a complete idiot (which I have believed he is ever since the first time I watched Glee)

10. loving tate says:

I love Tate. he’s the soul of the cast. him and Jessica Lange. If Evan Peters is gone, I’m done. If Jessica Lange is gone, I’m done.

I’m sick and tired of guionists mocking at us, doing it brilliant in the first season and all gone to hell by second season. gosh, there has to be someone somewhere who actually dont ruin a great tv show!!.

Tate is the soul of this show. They can’t just take him away from us. They just can’t , it’s not fair.

11. shon p says:

Season 1 was great! But I had only seen 1 of the characters before. The others were new to me so it wont hurt me to be introduced to a new cast again and ill probably still be addicted to the show again. The season one story ended…the whole family is dead for goodness sakes! What more do you want?! All the questions were answered…if you didn’t get it you just didn’t get it! While they could show more about Tate and Violet, I don’t think it’d be enough to occupy a whole season…the same with Constance. I think a new story every season will keep it fresh and I also think that those of you who say you wont watch are fibbing ….even if its just the premiere…you’ll be watching!

12. Amanda says:

I think they should do like skins us and do 2 season for each story line like these characters deserve another season. Also what’s the point of keeping some of the chararcter if they aren’t even going to play their original roles. Might as well get new actors. This is my opinion I hope Murphy gives the murder house a second season. I really want to see what happens to Michael and violet and Tate( I want them to end up together).

13. sara says:

I’m completely open to the idea for the new season. I just can’t wait for it to start. I think it will be in Florida since they mention it so much in the last three episodes!!

14. BrittanyF says:

AHS is amazing. The cast was awsome! And the writters are genius! Yes its sad some of the cast will not be coming back..but these writters are so amazingly clever I cannot wait to see what they have in store for season two! Season ones questions have all been awnsered…go back and re watch it people. Yes there still may b some things you want to know or wish you could see continue..but its a show! What movie or tv show actually shows or awnsers everything everyone wants to know! . The Harmons story is over it ended great! So haters get over it! Cant wait for season 2!!! Feb. Couldnt come sooner!

15. Ian says:

You all have to realize this is what’s best for the sake of the show. Starting fresh in a new context will give the show a better chance of being successful creatively when it debuts in its second season. With an all new story the show won’t likely suffer from the usual “second season syndrome” in which the old characters and story lines get old and repetitive. With an all new cast, location, and story the show has a better chance of continuing the creation of the uniquely shocking material it presented this season. Trust in the creators, they know what they’re doing.

16. David says:

I think this will keep it fresh, the murder house ran its course. People seem to forget that the storyline was bumped three years, to see what had become of the baby. What do you do after that keep bumping the timeline? I think some things are left to the viewer to decide what happens/ happened. Did the Russian die in the woods on Sopranos?

17. nicole says:

I absolutely adore american horror story. & I also agree that you should continue with the murder house and the characters.

18. Nick says:

The people who want the same characters back are probably the same people clamoring for pirates of the carribean 5, 6 and 7. Eventually a story runs its course and when you try to take it beyond that point it gets stale.

The first season of this show was about THE HOUSE moreso than it was about the harmons or Tate or anyone else that lived there. The thing that made the show great was that you learned about the house and all its secrets as the show progressed. Now that we know all those secrets (and we do… It would be incredibly lame to introduce new ghosts who just didn’t feel like showing up in the first season) there’s not much more to do there. If it turns into a show about a bunch of people who are trapped in a house together, it becomes the Jersey Shore. They could bring in a new living family, but YOU already know the house’s secrets so you’re basically watching the family learn them and waiting for them to die. That wouldn’t be nearly as good as season 1 so they really have to move on.

The only plot line I’ve seen mentioned here that would be strong enough to carry season two is the anti-Christ story line. The “hint in the last 3 episodes” comment makes me wonder if that might actually end up being what s2 is about. I know we were told we would have ALL new characters but that could just be a false trail. What if the premise of season 2 was constance decided to move away from murder house in attempt to prevent it from hurting her ability to raise a non-murderous, world ending demon baby? New home, new locale, (mostly) new characters. Thoughts?

19. Nina says:

I guess it could be interesting. I’m really on the fence about this one : true enough, it’s really uncommon, and it’s disapointing that the plotlines that haven’t been tied in the first season won’t ever be dealt with (well, maybe they will ?). It could be good, but hey, Ryan Murphy is doing this show. And he has a gift when it comes to screwing up good shows.

• Nick says:

Other than the anti-christ plotline, what else is really a loose end at this point?

Please don’t say the Tate and Violet romance either. That one was wrapped up pretty tightly.

20. Diane says:

I don’t want Evan Peters & Taissa Farmiga to play new characters. D: I personally like them as Tate & Violet.

& I spent most of my time getting to know what the characters were like.

21. Horror girl says:

I am too sad about this I’d grown to love these characters and the finale was a little too happy for me Hartman family is just suddenly okay? Come on…it was a fake let’s tie everything together ending and just did not go with the rest of the series. Loved Vivian and Tate and Constance and its just too bad they are throwing that away there was a lot of plot to play with still and I’m really going to have a hard time opening my heart to a whole new plot characters ect. Brilliant first season loved the characters but felt the finale was a bit of a cop out and I just don’t know if I’m going to be a returning viewer at this point. Super sad to see Tate and the rest of the cast go I feel in love with their dynamic………..

22. Rachel says:

I loved this show and I loved Tate I want to see more of him and violets relationship because I really didn’t want that to end! I wish they would continue with the normal cast and expand what happens in the house and what happens with the devil child I just hope that the second season is as good as the first I’m excited!

23. kevin says:

S Horror stories movies and this. The best show on TV. Amaze me. Does the camera work S Horror stories movies and this. The best show on TV. Amaze me. Does the camera work and music remind anyone else of Rob Zombieand music remind anyone else of Rob Zombie’s material. Especially the into. I also like the idea of not bringing back the cast. Smart call if the story line new cast can live up to season ones cast. I will miss Tate I see some really dark demons in him. If returned I hope he is even darker. Would be the best kurt Cobain if they ever do a movie for him

24. Cristy says:

I hope u bring back tate & violet from season 1* They were outstanding actors!!! I luv AHS* I’m a big fan*

25. Lexie says:

To me, AMS is like an out of control train – I wish they had slowed down and told the first season over a longer period. I actually wanted to learn more about the house before they left it, but that seems to be a moot point now.

I am curious to see where this goes, though.

26. Taylor says:

I kind of think that Tate and Violet will come back as a couple

27. Maryam says:

I really loved the season 1 of AHS, and cant wait for season 2! The show had some minor flaws but im sure the creators will learn from this & will equally produce a much better season! I think if we had more insight into the characters it would have dragged on forever like a sitcom which is not what this show is intended for…it is a creative show & targetted to an audience who enjoy horror genre…what’s so amazing about this show is its uniqueness to be unpredictable …which will be hard for people who are used to horror genre cliches of what may happen next…my fav characters were Constance & Tate…

28. laura says:

Uggghhh I’m so torn. So many unanswered questions from s1…but it would ruin if u knew the answers. Then no Connie. No Jessica…no tate. What about Alex Breckinridge. I will def stick around to see what the next season brings but Ryan needs to understand a lot of people became loyal to the Harmon’s and he’s got a tall order to fill.

29. sarah-jade says:

if Evan Peters doesnt come back omg i dont even think i will watch it.. Tate was the only reason why i started watching this show and i think its a shame that they didnt elaborate on his character. if they could just keep tate and then maybe violet that would be just flawless. juuuuust saying.

30. ILoveTateAndViolet says:

They better bring back Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga and Jessica Lange for season 2 or else I will be disappointed. I mean, I am upset that Tate/Violet are gone but if they bring back these three wonderful actors I can pretend that Evan and Taissa are playing Tate & Violet. I’m just weird like that…

31. Anthony says:

awe, part of me saw this show because of dylan mcdermott because of his sexy rugged looks that reminds me of my first love.
    was disappointed with the finale of season 1 … but hopefully they can come up with something great. not having high hopes adn going in with least expectations.

32. Cortney says:

When does season 2 begin?

33. ashley says:

PLEASE PLEASE let the next family be badass –i saw the last episode and it was really nice how they scared off the other family –but let the next people just be cool with it –like there not afraid -and they should have a daughter that rival violet :)’

34. Amanda says:

Not gonna lie; I was pretty pissed off when I saw this. You can’t just create a show and story line and then dump it and expect that the fans will come back just because the actors and actresses are the same. What are the creators thinking?!?!??! They may as well have cancelled the show as far as I am concerned.

35. Sara says:

What about Tate and violet?

36. jax says:

Snowballing…but it would be cool if the new family is the family of “Nate” (again, not a real/true Character, but just snowballing) Tate’s twin and the 4th child of Constance. And he was sent away because Constance could tell Tate was evil or had evil in him. And she vowed to never let Tate know he had a twin. That means Evan Peters could come back to play that role…. and Jessica Lange could easily be reintroduced…

37. Lilly says:

I fell in love with Tates character and im hoping to see his and Violets relationship grow. If they dont make it to the next season, i will be very disappointed and would consider not watching it, but overall i loved the whole series!

38. interesting says:

So we saw a website that says to “go frame by frame” and you can see a quick glimpse of the Mural and it looks like Jessica Lange/Constance kissing/making out with the Devil…hum… interesting. Its in episode “birth” in the 32nd minute…. could the upcoming season be “deal with the devil”?…..

39. jax says:

I’m the two comments above…”Jax” “interesting”… we’ve now put a few more things together. I know this is going to sound nuts…but Ive now rewatched the episodes, and we feel like our predictions are falling into place. We think that Constance made a deal with the devil. Agreed to raise the Devils child (we saw an instant glimpse of the mural in a frame-by-frame).She said ok in exchange for 2 things: Immortality and a non devil child. Tate and a twin were put in her “cursed womb” (her words in an episode). The twins came, she realized she couldn’t keep a non-devil baby with a spawn. Sent “Nate” away to her family in Virginia. Which Tate would be 34 now if he had lived (it was mentioned by his classmate who was the same age of how old they would have been, plus Tate mentions the year of the murders). Prob occurred when Tate got himself killed. Constance was then obligated, along with Tate, to make another Devil child who was alive via the house. Also, I think Nora made a deal that she would help if she got a non-devil baby. Hence her words “a deal was made” when Vivian tried to take the baby. Immortality also explains Constance’s seemingly “old South” wordings and phrases. She would have made the deal 34-35 years ago (Tate’s age) which would make the deal around 1977…she looks about 60ish which means she would have been born in about 1912, which would all fall into place. I also don’t recall her ever mentioning that the husband that cheated was the father of the babies. Having a twin would explain her mention of a “perfect child”, which we have yet to see. Would also leave a chance for Evan Peters to come back, and it to be a completely different family than before, his family. The creators did mention bringing actors back as different characters. This would be an opportunity to do that.

40. Jax says:

it also seems before Tate was created, it was “strangers in the night” or “someone hurt” that killed. The nurses were in 68 and made comments that they were pure, and/or had been saved. Basically, they weren’t going to be the carriers of anyone’s baby anytime soon…after the years I predicted Tate came, he did it…or had spirits help him. Or the thing in the basement did it, which we all understand what that thing was, lol…. Which would explain why the Devil became desperate, or tired of doing it by himself. Just spit ballin’ again…

41. Jax says:

Also, we think that after making Tate (the Devils child, which he named..and possibly a twin) the devil left her womb…. but her womb was still tainted. Which is why Adelaide and Beauregard were messed up, but not evil (btw, she would have named these two…two names that were common in early 1900s old south)

42. Ryan says:

I wonder if Christine Estebrook (Marcy, the realtor) will be a returning actress. I hope so… she’s the best character actress on television.

43. clarissacanalda says:

Very true!
    I wanted this show to continue:(
    But I think they didn’t give it a chance for them to have a story to continue with for another season!
    I’ll be honest, I probably won’t watch the show if it’s completely different, I’m too in love with the original characters!

44. Dustin Niebauer says:

Frist season was so amazing. My all time favorite show. I can’t wait till next season. I just hope it is as good as the first season.

45. Glenda says:

WTF!!! Are they seriously going to screw up the show by replacing my favorite characters. I want to see the originals like Tate, Candace, Violet, Moira, Vivian and Ben continue into the second season. Season 2 better be one hell of a season.

46. ambergrrrl says:

greatest show ever!!!! don’t know if i will be watching if tate does not come back. i at least want to see what becomes of his spawn. is he gonna to ever be a factor in his life (besides being a donor).just love the show and hope they cna keep it as fresh as they did with season one. tate for president.

47. Mamajen says:

I fell totally in live with the characters of AHS! And I can understand the disappointment most of you are feeling when they say that they want to use a new house and “new” characters…however, they also said some regulars may be coming back as well,as “new” characters…did it ever occur to you that perhaps a story line may be written in that includes Michael? Perhaps Constance as well? I can see her taking Michael and moving away and changing their names and identities because of the local authorities being suspicious of her, as well as to hide Michael and perhaps escape what he did to the babysitter??? All I’m saying is, give the writers a chance to show us what they’ve got in mind before you begin casting judgement and criticizing the show before you’ve seen it. I’m willing to have an open mind and see where the writers plan to take us next before I get upset! ;-)

48. Debbi says:

I really want to know when this show is returning. Does anyone know??

49. Ashton says:

This show I think is twisted but f***ing awesome I loved it waiting every week for the next episode it’s only just finished tonight in Australia and I’m soo soo bummed the story is over bummed is an understatement I just hope the next season is just as good and not ruined in the next story line it will def be hard to top the first season in my eyes

50. Sid says:

IN THIS THREAD:

countless teens angry because they can no longer watch their “Twilight melodrama now with ghosts¡¡¡¡” anymore…

This series was incredible, perfectly done and executed, in the last episode there were some moments were i tought it was a joke, like Vivian and Ben murdering each other, it reminded me of that scene in Bettlejuice were Jeena Davis and Alec Baldwin try to scare the new owners… then i realized it was intended to be a joke, like a “wink wink, do you see how stupid it would be if we don’t move to another story next season?”

Seriously, people saying many questions were left unanswered must have serious attention span dissorder… this show is like those old “Twilight Zone” or “Are You Afraid of the Dark” shows, just the story is told in a season, and not in single episodes… it’s brilliant.