X-Files' Scully Vs. Castle's Beckett as 'Law-Enforcement Crushes' Semifinals Begin!

We’re closing in on Christmas day, but temperatures are rising at TVLine, where we’ve reached the Semifinals of our Ultimate Female Law-Enforcement Crushes Bracket Tournament.

So brace yourselves, folks, because we’ve got The X Files‘ Dana Scully and Castle‘s Kate Beckett entering the single-elimination world of the TVLine Thunderdome, but only one will leave!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch the second of our Semifinal bouts, and on Saturday, we’ll kick off the final battle of our bracket extravaganza. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Semifinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Also, if you’re interested in seeing how the tourney has played out so far, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. Jordan says:

BBBBEEEECCCCCCKKKKKKKEEEETTTT!

2. Peacenotwarplease says:

What some fans don’t understand is that Scully would probably not feel good about some comments from her supporters that VILIFY other actresses. I doubt she would welcome such support and the same goes for Beckett. I bet these two fine actresses SQUIRM at the ugliness of some of the comments that have been made in the name of supporting them. How sad!

• tdevol says:

I’m pretty sure they don’t read 196 comments about which one of them is more crushable, so I wouldn’t worry about it :) They are both great actors, and I’ve seen both shows, and Scully is by far the more compelling character.

3. asdfhjkl says:

I voted for Kate Beckett.And people,Stana Katic only had ONE surgery. I think I like her because of her brilliant performance, her adorableness, and she’s really kind to her fans. Her acting is what makes her, NOT her nose.

4. Erin says:

I LOVE Beckett, but the fact is I just love Scully more. There will never be another Dana Scully, no matter how amazing a new show/character is. The X-Files was a fantastic show, and Scully was an equally fantastic character. There should be no contest here.

5. jess says:

can’t we all just be civil and not try to put down the other character/actress? this is supposed to be a friendly contest. we don’t need to insult the other just because we aren’t voting for her. everyone has their own opinion and i respect that but i don’t want you guys insulting each other just because you don’t agree with the other person. if you can’t say anything nice then why don’t you just vote and quietly leave so that you won’t end up hurting people.

6. Peacenotwarplease says:

@Tdevol – you are probably right – but I think you get the point I was trying to make – that If you or I were actresses, and we were as nice and caring as Scully and Beckett are in real life off screen, we would want nice caring fans supporting us – not nasty pieces of work who think it’s okay to vilify others from behind a keyboard -well I would anyway LOL!

• xf says:

You’ve clearly never met Gillian Anderson LOL. And Scully has had so much crap happen to her she couldn’t care either. Beckett’s just hung up on her mom. Sad, but Scully lost a family member practically every season. So I think she can handle lol.

7. Snakey9 says:

whoa, whoa, whoa…..there is simply NO competition here ppl– Scully then, now, and in the future kicks more a*# with greater style than any female lead– law enforcement or otherwise…sorry Beckett, no….just no.

8. Sophie says:

If the only factor is crushable, Kate/Stana 100%. I would marry that woman (character or actress, I’m not picky) if she gave me the time of day.

9. Sophie says:

Okay, can everyone please STOP insulting my generation by saying that we are “too young” to know about Scully/X Files? I think you’re contradicting yourselves by then saying that X Files is the most iconic sci-fi show in history (I would disagree with you there too, by the way). You’re right in that it probably will continue to be brought up in SOME CIRCLES many years from now, because it was one of the FIRST. But that does not mean that Castle and its contemporaries will not also be remembered, in SOME CIRCLES. Each series has a fandom of its own, and each fandom will remember/reminisce in their own ways. Cutting people/actors/writers/shows down does nothing but weaken your argument and make you look like a grade-A douchebag.

• mamallama says:

U MAD BRO?

• XF says:

The funny thing is, if they were actually older, they’d realize that it’s not just some circles, it’s every showrunner on TV who’s inspired by TXF. It’s every show that does an XF tribute. And it just goes on and on lol. Youth isn’t something to blame though. Plenty of young people educate themselves and don’t rub themselves with naked pictures of justin beaver.

• BlackAmethyst says:

While it is true that Castle payed tribute to TXF, TXF is a classic, and Scully is a very beautiful, iconic character, once again, everyone’s going on about the shows, when this is about the characters and who you find more crushable. Just because TXF is a classic and Scully is iconic, it doesn’t make people wrong to choose Beckett. Because that’s they’re opinion. It’s who THEY find more attractive. And people shouldn’t be arguing or slamming each other cause they’re opinions differ, but everyone seems to insist on doing that anyway. SO: all these arguments that TXF is a classic, it’ll be remembered for years, Scully’s iconic, etc. None of them actually prove the point that people are trying to make that Scully’s more crushable. They don’t say anything about her personality and WHY she’s more crushable. It’s just “oh, my show is better than yours” and it weakens the argument as a whole. And making all those points about TXF – even though they may be true – the title is “Law-Enforcement Crushes,” not “Law-Enforcement Shows.” There are TXF fans that have voted for Beckett, and there are Castle fans that have voted for Scully. Because those people don’t have their vision clouded by the whole “which show is better” thing. They’re just giving they’re honest opinions. And no one can tell them that they’re wrong, cause there is no right and wrong here.

And i laughed so hard at “justin beaver” :D

10. Serena says:

Absolutely Kate Beckett.
    Stana already won the award for most sexy woman on tv in 2011, so she’ll also win this tournament as Kate Beckett.

11. Castle&XFfan says:

Guys, both Castle AND XF fans are guilty of stepping on the other to make their point. So don’t be hypocritical.

12. tdevol says:

Dana Scully

13. vdw says:

no way! then the final should be sarah walker n kate beckett. who can choose between those two? arghhhhh..

14. Starbuck says:

You said it better than I could— ABSOLUTELY!! true dat.

15. HJ says:

I just love it when people run their mouths like they know everything when they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Mulder and Scully had a CHILD together. I think thats a pretty “together” thing to do.

16. Justin says:

Scully for the win, given that X-files is one of my favorite sci-fi shows ever and she is very beautiful.

17. BlackAmethyst says:

YOU GUYS. Vote for who you want because of course this all a matter of opinion, but even if you hate Beckett you can’t deny the fact that’s she’s beautiful, and saying that she isn’t just makes it look to everyone like your only voting for Scully because you like that show better. They are BOTH undeniably smart, attractive women, but this isn’t about that. Just because Scully is “iconic,” it doesn’t mean she’s more crushable. And just because Beckett’s kick-ass and beautiful, doesn’t mean SHE’S more crushable. It all comes down to their PERSONALITIES, and who’s YOU find more attractive. WHATEVER people choose, you have to respect their opinions. Some people might like Castle better, but to them, Scully may be more crushable. It isn’t about the shows, guys. Or their looks. It’s about their personalities (of course looks don’t HURT…) and who you find to be more crushable. After all, the votes are on “Law-Enforcement CRUSHES” not “Law-Enforcement SHOWS” or “Hottest Female Law-Enforcement Officer.” CRUSHES, guys. CRUSHES. just because one show is a classic, it doesn’t change how people feel about the CHARACTERS. Yes, the “X-files” is a classic, but would you still vote for Scully if she was a royal snob? Or Beckett, even if she IS really pretty? Just because Scully is iconic, it doesn’t mean that someone more crushable is NEVER gonna come along. And just cause some people may find Beckett to be a bit better looking, doesn’t mean that settles it.

18. Jolie says:

I can’t choose. I want them both to father my children.

19. Gary Young says:

Why is this even a contest? Scully paved the way for leading law enforcement ladies and is an iconic figure representing empowerment to women worldwide.

20. NovakJovanovic7 says:

Scully is a beautiful woman,but she doesn’t have a chance against Beckett.For 1. she is older,2.Compare body shapes….Beckett has a body of a super girl,3.X-files was so completely messed up,that even a baby of Scully and Molder just poped-out,and all we saw of making that baby is i hug in the bed…..Maybe she was like Virgin Mary,and Molder was God.Castle is simple, yet intriguing,and real.To sum all in by adding Becket’s deep beautiful eyes…Scully has no chance at all,an neither do other girls.Kate wins the finals!!!

21. TL says:

Two very smart, strong, iconic women. Either Katherine deserves the win.

22. Tay says:

Uff, I knew it will come to this. Love them both, both shows are great, but I have a little (or big; who’s to know) girl-crush on Beckett so she gets my vote.

23. Zirinka says:

Seriously: Castle even has an episode inspired by The X Files: season 3, episode 9! Castle whistles TXF tune, compares Beckett with Scully and there are even TXF iconic visuals throught the episode. There wouldn’t be Castle without The X Files; there wouldn’t be Beckett without Scully!

24. Goldfish says:

OMG How can Beckett have so many votes??!! She’s NOTHING compared to Scully! I wonder how she will look in 10 years… surely not as gorgeous as Gillian is right now! Vote Scully!!

25. alice says:

if they posted a better picture of scully, there would be NO competition!! there shouldn’t be competition anyways—scully’s AMAZING and gillian anderson is absolutely GORGIOUS!

26. alice says:

seriously!! ga is what, 43? and she still looks amazing! she looks like she’s in her 30s!

27. alice says:

they should have used this picture, NO competition:

28. Shane says:

I’m sick of hearing that X-Files is ‘iconic’. Seriously, what is that even supposed to mean? Don’t get me wrong, I was a huge fan. Followed it religiously.
    Of course, now when I try to watch an episode I can’t help but think, “this show is dreadfully boring, how did I ever get into it, much less keep with it?”

Besides, I never thought Scully was all that hot, but definitely all kinds of annoying. Never wanted her and Mulder together.

My vote is to the lovely Stana Katic’s Beckett.

• jill says:

Don’t be jealous. Breckhet whatever the eff that things name is won’t be remembered in two years let alone ten. You just tell urself whatever you have to to get thru the night.

• BlackAmethyst says:

Slamming Beckett because “she won’t be remembered” is low. First of all, how would you know what’s gonna happen in the next few years? The fact that you can’t make a mature argument about why you think Scully is more crushable than Beckett, and all you can do is name call just makes whatever you’re saying invalid. This is about the characters and their personalities, not about who’s gonna be remembered ten years from now. Paris Hilton, Kim whats-her-name, Justin beiber – all these people are gonna be remembered years from now, even though they have next to no talent, while the people who actually DO have talent are gonna be forgotten. And I don’t mean that G.A/Scully isn’t talented, cause I’m sure she is, and she’s beautiful, but this while “won’t be remembered” argument is completely invalid cause some of the greatest idiots of this time will be remembered years form now, while the actual decent people won’t be.

29. jill says:

What’s a Beckett? Yuck. Scully is the most complex gorgeous character ever created.

30. Alice says:

Anna: if you think Gillian Anderson is ugly….then you must be surrounded by the most ridiculously gorgeous people on the planet. Or you’ve never seen her besides the pic on this poll. Here’s her in the show (I WiLL prove her beauty to youu! Lol): http://i56.tinypic.com/2h4xloj.jpg

• Brad says:

Meh. She was alright. But not crushable to any guy who wasn’t a teen. But she was hot to women since she was ‘average’ at best and they wanted guys to keep their hopes down!

• Gerard says:

I don’t necessarily agree with you, but your comment just made me spill my drink…! That was so hilariously close to the truth.

31. TJCrinc says:

Ziva David vs Kate Beckett in final round? epic!

32. j s says:

Definitely scully shes an icon she changed the whole face of female a an gents/detectives on tv and gillIan Anderson is brilliant

33. kytivafan says:

Wow! I thought this would be a much closer race. I had actually picked Scully to win over Beckett. lol – what do I know?

I have never watched Castle – so I can’t speak for the character, but the actress is beautiful.

I did have to vote for Scully because I grew up with her.

Sorry Stana. But, looks like my vote didn’t hurt your chances of winning this.

34. Nina says:

Good thing this contest is not about ‘Who has the most self-righteous fans’, because then the results would be reversed.
    It’s amazing how all those X-Files fans here have the ability to look into the future and present us with the “fact” that Castle will be forgotten in 10 years. (I’m not saying that it won’t be, but THIS is ridiculous! No matter how much of that X-File stuff you’ve watched, NO ONE can predict the future.)
    And why do I keep reading this over and over and over and over again? There’s so many other fallacies to pick from, be a little more creative, maybe this way you can delude one or two people more than right now… but still won’t change the results, sorry.

• GAIBTY says:

Because the Castle fans are innocent? Grow up. When your show has had nine successful seasons, two movies, and a legacy that has yet to be matched, you can be self-righteous as much as you want. XPhiles have earned their right to gloat because the epic journey that TXF led them on has allowed them to do so.

Nine seasons, two movies, then you can talk.

• BlackAmethyst says:

Well I don’t really wanna argue or make enemies here cause we have different opinions and I don’t like slamming people cause they have different taste than me, but your argument’s not really relevant yet cause who knows, Castle could very well go on for 9 successful seasons or more.

And as I keep saying, this is not about the SHOWS. It’s the people. The characters. And it’s not about which show is gonna be forgotten in ten years or whatever. This entire thing is just supposed to be where people vote for the characters they love. And no one can tell anyone that their opinion is wrong because “X-files is a classic” a whatnot. It’s not about that. That’s why people are voting on this. Cause it’s a matter of opinion. What’s this whole “my show is better than yours” attitude gonna achieve? And just because Scully’s iconic, that doesn’t automatically mean that she’s gonna be better than any other female character to ever come on TV. Everyone has their strengths and weakness, and if some people find themselves more drawn to Beckett’s, then who are you tell them that they’re wrong just because the X-files has had 9 successful seasons and two movies? That doesn’t make Scully better or more attractive than Beckett in any way.

When people start actually looking at the characters and their personalities instead of just slamming each other’s shows, then they’ll have valid arguments. But for now, hardly anyone’s talking about the actual characters – except for the fact the “Scully’s iconic” and “Beckett’s hot.” Making those points doesn’t prove anything about the characters themselves. It’s all a matter of opinion, and saying that so far, one show’s gone on longer than the other doesn’t say ANYTHING about who’s more crushable, which is what this entire thing is all about.

• Nina says:

Uh-oh, someone feels threatened. Are you seriously going to go down down the “shut-up” road? I don’t know where you live but in my country we have freedom of speech.
        How do you even know what “my show” is. I didn’t really mention it. In essence you you understood about 0% of my comment, so I’m going to explain again:
        I am sooo freaking annoyed with the complete inability of people here to find proper arguments. All the stuff I keep reading over and over again… iconic, remembered in 10 yrs, Beckett is ugly, every TV show and character in the whole wide world is always just a copy of X-Files…. you know what that is? It’s nothing but a giant pile of junk… a 9-yr-old could have done better. And by the way: your response really proved my point, thank you! :)

• jill says:

It’s ok..I know you guys have to convince yourselves that castle will be remembered. You are just trying to stand up for your show. The card board characters, lame chemistry, hackneyed storylines. Mmhmm. Just another cheap run of the mill cop show copying poorly off of one of the most loved and innovative, award winning shows. Beckett is such a pale sad imitation. Just accept it.

• Me says:

Seriously? You need to chill. There’s no need to go this low.

• Nina says:

Did you even read what I wrote?
        I even said that I’m not saying Castle will be remembered in 10 years… I’m saying I don’t know and NOBODY knows.
        I’m just so sick of all those poor arguments presented here. It’s nothing but ridiculous.
        And you proved my point as well, so a big thank you for you too! :)

• Brad says:

In what freaking way is Kate like Scully? She is infintely a more complex and endearing character than the boring, snobbish Scully could ever hope to be! Just because it ran for so many years doesn’t make Scully hotter or better than Kate Beckett!

35. Jess says:

This is the impossible match up that I was afraid of having to choose between. Beckett is extremely attractive which I suppose is the basic point of being “crushable” but I love everything about Scully. I voted for Scully because if it came down to choice, I would choose her but I won’t be surprised, nor disappointed, when Beckett takes the whole thing.

36. xtfania says:

Does Everybody know that ROb Bowman, David Amann, Bill Roe, they are working on Castle, the were working on X files?
    Does everybody knows that Nathan Fillion is a big fan of X files?
    Does everybody know that Scully is the reference of all the knew superwomen?

• Alex says:

thank you, as an X-phile I recently got hooked on Castle, and I love it. It saddens me to read some of the comments here. Why can’t we love both shows and vote accordingly to our own criteria without bashing a show, the characters or other people? Cast your vote and move on. At the end of the day, it’s just a poll based on fictional characters. Stop bashing, please

• xtfania says:

I love both shows!!!! I love Scully and Mulder since i was 11, and know i’m a huge fan of Castle… I love Castñe and Beckett and there are a lots of similarities, and that’s what i like Castle….

But my vote is for Scully, because i think she is a reference… and Gillian is perfect

But I love Stana, i think she is a very good actress too, I saw Kill Shot 10 times!

• Jess says:

Hi, I love you. :) (Read: Exactly!)

37. rick says:

I don’t care who win this. If there’s no greenlight to XF3, in one year the aliens will take over our planet and all of us will die. Only Mulder and Scully can save us!

38. john says:

Scully is the best.she is more beautiful and crushable than Beckett

39. Chris says:

If THe X-Files were on TV today, would bloggers refer to the Mulder/Scully relationship as “Smulder”?

I’ll bet they lament that missed gem.

40. agent"MOLDER" says:

You will always be our one in five billion.

41. agent"MOLDER" says:

It’s been said that you only truly fall in love once, but I don’t believe it. Every time I see you Scully, I fall in love all over again.

42. onein7billion says:

As a huge fan of both shows, actresses and characters I feel ashamed for the behavior of some people from both fandoms. You don’t need to resort to name calling and if someone thinks either one of them is ugly (with or without minor surgical procedure) you have a serious problem and you need to seek help. It might not be the kind of beauty you’re more actracted to, but they’re beautiful. Alas beauty isn’t everything. The fact that Scully is iconic does not mean Beckett isn’t iconic material too. Again, if you can’t see it, that’s your problem.
    I have been thinking very hard and I can’t choose one over the other. For me they’re the most crushable of the entire competition. Ziva or Sarah Walker have nothing on them, imo. So I’ll vote once for each.
    Now stop being morons (the ones that are), vote and gtfo.

43. Sylvia Santamaria says:

Vote Scully, she was and will always be the first one! Beckett was inspired by her character as many characters in others tv series after her…

44. Chloe says:

I feel so sorry about all that hate. Yes, Scully is truly awesome and iconic. Beckett is most certainly a great character in a show that is still running, and I’m pretty sure she’s gonna be hell of an icon too in the end. Everyone has its own opinion but no one should react this way because their opinion is losing especially if they don’t even watch the other show.
    Ps: It’s not because you’re behind a computer that you can feel free to be mean.

• XF says:

You don’t have great writers, so that’s not going to happen. If you were Breaking Bad, we could have this convo. But until Rob Bowman starts writing like Vince Gilligan, Castle will always be that one cute show awhile back. Eventually, it won’t really be brought up. It’s not taking awards for excellence or creating a worldwide phenomenon. It’s basically just fanfic. And average fanfic at that.

• Brad says:

This average fanfic is much more fulfilling emotionally and hilariously than 10 seasons of skepticism by the snobbish Gillian Anderson! She’s unattractive to boot. When Stana walks into a room, the room turns brighter. When GA walks in, men die!

• 2shy says:

How is she snobbish? Did you meet her personally? Someone mentioned in another polled they felt GA was snobbish for moving to England, but she was raised there for 9 plus years before moving back to America. It’s like her second home. Also, the paparazzi doesn’t invade her privacy as much as they do here with celebrities.

• Brad says:

Try this thing called ‘Google’! Or go back to that comment section and re-read it completely!

• 2shy says:

Brad, you have no idea what you are talking about. GA is in no way snobbish; I don’t know why you really dislike her, but you are wrong.

• Lisa says:

Brad, the way Stana walks into a room is a culmination of what XF writers wrote her to do. If you call Scully unoriginal then you must mean Beckett is too.

• Gerard says:

Of course Beckett is unoriginal. Nothing is original. But it still doesn’t make Beckett’s ability to turn men into complete morons any less awesome.

• Gerard says:

You don’t need to be a jerk to get your point across. And I ask again, this time a little differently: Are you divorced? :P

45. Paula says:

I’m just going to write my opinion and I don’t really want to insult anyone with it, I’ve voted for Dana Scully, for me she is the most complex and amazing character I’ve ever seen. I’m 17 and I fell in love with the x files some years ago, IT IS really a very good show, you can tell it’ll be remembered for years because it changed TV, and Scully changed it too, Beckett it’s a prove. It’s funny because the other day I had a conversation with my grandad, he likes TV as much as I do but he had never seen The X Files (I dont know how, it’s almos incredible) and he told me he didn’t like Scully (for her looks and her personality) and I was like: Have you ever seen an episode of the x files? And I liked what my mother said to him (yes, my whole family loves TV, she said that Scully has a very special beauty that it’s not as evident like some other women, is with the progression of the show that you actually fall in love with her, somehow, then you realize how beautiful (in so many aspects) she is. Fox didn’t want her at first because they wanted a ‘Pamela Anderson’ blond and tall and long-legged but in her very own way she is much more beautiful that all that kind of women. She has big blue and expressive eyes, that bright red and caracteristic red hair that matches with her perfect porcelain skin. She has the most beautiful and charming laugh I’ve ever heard (even if in the show she doesn’t laugh much)and her big smile it’s just… incredible. She is so small and tiny and still she can kick anyone’s ass. She is so intelligent that it really makes me want to study and learn things. She is strong, so strong. She is loyal and she believes in Mulder because she respect him, she didn’t believe in all the paranormal stuff but she helped him. I admire her so deeply that I could not possibly vote for anyone but her.
    (I wanted to say that I’m Spanish so even if I tried to be clear, understand that it’s difficult for me to express myself in english)

46. Ann says:

I love both but there’s no way I’m going to choose Beckett over Scully.

Not only she’s iconic, Gillian/Scully has always been gorgeous, it’s not her fault she fell hostage to the early 90s fashion.

Also, anyone dissing on Scully just because they’re Stana fangirls need to get medical help asap. There’s no need to call Gillian/Scully names just because you are way too young to get the X Files hype. Grow up and mature because Castle? Pays homage to the x files constantly.

• Gerard says:

Agree that she fell prey to the 90’s fashion sense. Also Castle pays homage to every iconic show. It isn’t only X-Files. Scully was never hot or sexy, like Kate is. And if you talk about character complexity, Beckett is on her way to become the most complex woman character on tv. To each his own, I voted for Beckett.

47. Girish says:

Oh how much I love you Kate!!! Stana forever!!!

• Gerard says:

No sarcasm towards the other lady or even mentioning the other one. I don’t think I have seen any such comment till now. Lol.