The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching Wednesday

On TV this last Wednesday before Christmas: Beaucoup Bieber, X Factor finalists sing for their proverbial lives, Top Chef is all a-Twitter, Horror Story scares up a finale and more. All told, we found nine programs you might want to tune into.

8 pm A Home for the Holidays With Martina McBride (CBS) | This special, which touts the joys of adoption, includes performances by McBride, Justin Bieber, Mary J. Blige, Gavin DeGraw,  OneRepublic and Christina Perri, plus presentations by Grey’s Anatomy alum Katherine Heigl and Denise Richards, both of whom adopted a child, and Heigl’s sister Meg, who was adopted.

8 pm The X Factor (Fox) | The top three finalists battle it out! Finale on Thursday!

Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres and Returns Calendar

9 pm Food Attack (Food Network) | Premiere: This new series explores unique and fascinating cases of food allergies, food-borne illnesses and food overdoses, each a recipe for disaster. In other words: Plan your dinnertime accordingly.

9 pm This Is Justin Bieber (TLC) This hour special promises to take you “beyond the music and past the hype with an intimate look into the inner workings of Justin Bieber’s world.” [Shudder] On tap are personal interviews, acoustic renditions from his new holiday album, Under The Mistletoe, and other performances.

9:30 pm Happy Endings (ABC) | It’s a slow night/week, so we’ll highlight this repeat of the episode featuring Jane’s search for her “egg daughter,” while Alex bonds with the “mean girls” who start frequenting her store.

9:30 pm I Hate My Teenage Daughter (Fox) | Winter finale! So soon, I know. But it will/may be back. Sometime.

TVLine Has Questions About X Factor‘s Lack of Originality, the Horror Story Childbirth and More

10 pm State of Play (BBC America) | After Cal is released from jail, he colludes with DCI Bell to smoke out the hit man; Cal’s team pins the author of the anonymous letters to a petty criminal named Dominic Foy.

10 pm Top Chef: Texas (Bravo) | This week’s Quickfire will in part be dictated by live tweets from fans — meaning a hashtag could ostensibly involve actual hash. Patti Labelle serves as a guest judge.

10 pm American Horror Story (FX) | In the 70-minute Season 1 finale, titled “Afterbirth,” Constance schemes to raise Tate’s baby as her own. As Taissa Farmiga (who plays Violet) told TVLine of the season-ender, “There’s a lot going on…. They start to finally wrap things up, so you get your answers. But I’ve got to say, the ending is kind of dark. It’s happy… and it’s not.” She also noted that the last few minutes indicate the plan for Season 2.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? Also, hit the Comments to politely offer tune-in suggestions of your own.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Scott says:

How come American Horror Story is only scheduled for 70 minutes on all the guides including the FX Schedule page?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You would be correct, it was trimmed down to 70 minutes. The story has been edited.

• V says:

I heard the were planning on it being 2 hours but then they couldn’t finish filming in time. Then it was 90 mins….now I guess it’s down to 70. :( Is that with or without commercials? Because you know half of it is going to be commercials.

2. Michael Sacal says:

I just noticed that American Horror Story is doing a riff on Sixth Sense. Ben is a psychologist who sees dead people (in SS, Willis played a psychologist who was dead).

3. Kendal says:

CANNOT wait for American Horror Story. It’s been a strange, but thrilling one!

And I hate to admit but but I Hate My Teenage Daughter is so bad, it’s good.

4. Joel says:

What Channel is Food Attack on?

5. Katie says:

So excited BBC is showing State of Play. David Yates is a genius!

• Templar says:

I got this series from the library because I’m a fan of Bill Nighy, but I couldn’t get into it at all. I had a lot more fun watching New Tricks, another Brit cop series.

6. Richard says:

I will also be recording the season finale of “Work of Art: The Next Great Artist” , the cast reunion of “The Real World: San Diego”, and “Hot in Cleveland”.

7. kevin says:

NOTHING. After tonight, Fox better pulled the plug on I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER ’cause it’s beyond horrible.

8. Little Scarf Girl says:

DVRing American Horror Story, but since we haven’t even watched the last episode yet and my friends and I are/have all gone home for the holidays, we probably won’t be watching either episode until after New Year’s! Interested to see how it wraps up, though.

9. Lisa says:

American Horror Story

10. Liana in San Diego says:

All I’ve got to say is thank goodness for the DVR and saved programs to watch…. yikes. What a pitiful bunch of nothing has been on lately!

11. Jersey says:

Come on, Matt! Why even bother listing anything else? American Horror Story is the ONLY thing worth watching on TV tonight! I CAN’T WAIT!

12. Pam says:

Does anyone know if this State of Play is the second or third episode in the series? My DVR did not pick it up last week so not sure if I missed an episode or not.

13. Stormy says:

Wow. How dismal! Might be time for a Gilmore Girls marathon while wrapping gifts.

14. Lindsey says:

Justin Bieber has never been worth watching, let alone in two different things. Very few of these things are actually worth watching, maybe Happy Endings and American Horror Story.