The X Factor Top 3 Performance Finale: Follow Along With Our Jaunty Live Blog!

Predictions for The X Factor Performance Finale: One contestant will sing a monster-truck-style ballad. One will bust out an original composition. And one will play an instrument.

We’ll get a glimpse of the Paula Abdul Chair Dance (TM pending). Nicole Schlewbacca’s lashes will glimmer with dewy residue (though no actual tears will muss her foundation). L.A. Reid will take potshots at any vocalist he’s not personally mentoring. And Simon Cowell will call something “bloody fantastic.”

Of course, whether or not my prognosticating proves accurate, one thing is for certain: As the show rolls on, I’ll update you on who’s performed what and offer my opinions of said performances in 10 words or something close to it. So keep refreshing the page for all the good, the bad, and the certainty of Nicole trying to force Josh to sing something dreadful. (Oh, and come back to TVLine mid-Thursday morning for my full episode recap!)

Ready, set, discuss!

Josh Krajcik (with Alanis Morissette): “Uninvited”
Sigh. That song fit his voice like a Size 28 jean fits my midsection. He’s going to need a showstopper in his second number if he wants to get the win.

Chris Rene (with Avril Lavigne): “Complicated”
Mrrrrrr. That might be worth $5 million if this show was called America’s Next Top Song Whisperer. I am not feeling this finale.

Melanie Amaro (with R. Kelly): “I Can’t Believe They Picked This Flippin’ Awful SongI Can Fly”
Honestly, I’d have taken “Trapped in the Closet” over that supersized slice of treacle. A little low for her comfort zone on the opening verse, but (ugh) her voice did kinda soar near the end there.

Josh, Chris, Melanie and Cylons on Steroids: Michael Jackson’s “They Don’t Care About Us”
I cahhhhhhn’t with that.

Josh Krajcik: Etta James’ “At Last”
Absolutely the right choice of song and arrangement, and performed beautifully. (Speaking of perfection, though, I can’t help but plug Melinda Doolittle’s version here, too.)

Chris Rene: “Young Homie”
Simon’s right, that was his $5 million song. (And I’m only a tiny bit bothered that it’s the third time he’s sung it on the show since January.) ¡Melanie had better braaaang something uptempo!

Melanie Amaro: Beyoncé’s “Listen”
Dayum. Her vocals just ate everyone else’s vocals.

OK, your turn. Hit the comments with your thoughts on the X Factor performance finale, and please come back to TVLine mid-Thursday morning for my full episode recap. And for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (218)

• Kris Allen Record-Holder here! :)

Comment by karenb – December 21, 2011 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too! I still listen to Kris Allen on my iPod.

Comment by Bonnie A – December 21, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I listen to Kris Allen on my iPod and I watch him on YouTube. Love that guy.

Comment by Crystal Fan – December 21, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Count me in, I still listen to his album and can’t wait till the new one comes out.

Comment by Mary – December 22, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melnies vocals on her last song killed the boys! !!! I voted for her since day 1 i hope she wins she dserves it

Comment by andrea – December 21, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she dosent win does that mean that god didnt want her to win and actively used his omniscient power to prevent it from happening? Because I’m pretty sure he’ll get a lot of credit if she does win. Funny how that is.

Comment by Gorm – December 22, 2011 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do I do a write-in vote for Drew?

Comment by Tim – December 21, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Been trying to vote for Chris but cant get through!

Comment by lisa – December 21, 2011 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Melanie is obviously going to win – she was miles ahead of everyone. I was honestly pretty disappointed in Josh this evening – I thought his performances would have been much stronger. Melanie was seriously overshadowed by R. Kelly during I Believe I Can Fly but she is strong enough that won’t make a difference. I started out really liking Chris when the show started but his performances are goofy and not professional. His hand gestures when he is dancing are just goofy and they take away a lot from his ability as a performer.

Comment by david – December 22, 2011 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris wheter you win or loose you have the X-Factor and in my eyes you are a winner.

Comment by Ronel Wilson – December 22, 2011 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have Kris’ debut album and most of his idol studio tracks which I still listen to and enjoy. Can’t wait to hear his next album. Even heard Kris in rotation on satellite radio when we rented a car earlier this year. Not so for Lee Dewyze…

Comment by Tekwzrd – December 22, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Melanie belongs to a mega-church? Does anyone know anything about it? Are they fundamentalist? Do they hate gays? That’s another reason besides her nasal and shrill voice that I am not looking forward to her winning tonight. At least Perez Hilton will be happy

Comment by matt – December 22, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given I’m from Columbus, I need to be a Josh homer.. and frankly, his voice is a combo of Joe Coker, Stevie Ray and Michael Botlon at times.. The facial expressions thing, watch Joe Cocker or the lead singer from Kings of Leon some time..

I like chris a lot.. sure Young Homie has been done 3 times this season, but it gets stuck in your head.. thats what you need for radio play/top 40 appeal.. plus pair him up with Travie or Bruno and he’ll have some pretty good music.. Travie isn’t the greatest singer but GCH make some pretty catchy music..

Melanie’s voice is redonkulous.. but I don’t buy that kind of music.. she’ll be huge but it won’t be on my music rotation..

Comment by SamuraiJack – December 22, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So interesting the way you describe Josh — I have been saying ever since the first couple of weeks that he sounds like a combination of Stevie Ray and Joe Cocker. AND I agree that his movements/facial expressions sometimes remind me of Joe as well. People complain that he has no ‘charisma’; but I think he definitely DOES and I appreciate that he doesn’t do cutsey-poo mugging or playing up to the camera. I love blues/rock, and love his razor blade vocals, so would buy his stuff.
      I think Chris is highly over-rated (especially in the vocal department). I think Melanie’s voice is amazing, but, I, like you, don’t buy that kind of music.

Comment by Red in Denver – December 22, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a tough choice. Chris has all the moves without the voice. Josh has the talent but not the charisma and presence. Melanie has the pipes but there is no excitement. I’d like to pick a song for each and then make a decision.

Comment by socalgal – December 22, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure I will watch this show next year….. and am only watching it now because I love hearing Josh and Melanie.

But, all the glitz, glamour and pyrotechnics, all the silly play fighting among the judges/mentors, and some of the CHOICES that are made for the contestants regarding songs (and duet partners, now).

Why would a show have a contestant JUDGED, even in part, on a song they HAD to sing with a celebrity singer — especially when, as in the case with Josh, the song was COMPLETELY WRONG for him, and, as in the case with Melanie, it wasn’t even in a key she was comfortable with.

This show is more annoying than American Idol, and I hoped it would be an improvement.

Comment by Red in Denver – December 22, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • X Factor gave me a headache everytime I tried to watched. This show is terribly produced. If Josh or Melanie had been on The Voice they would have been treated better.

Comment by Davey – December 22, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm, so, did this final 3 remind anyone else of a certain final 3 from a certain other show?
    1 – Someone dull as a post who has sung the exact same song over an over again all season long.
    2 – Someone who was pimped from day one and still hasn’t learned how to breathe when they sing.
    3 – Someone who messed up the lyrics to an Alanis song that was inappropriately thrust upon them.
    Deja Vu or what?!?!

Comment by Terry – December 22, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very perceptive of you.
      This is why I read every single comment (obsessive, I know) on this forum, just so I won’t miss eye-opening comments such as yours.

Comment by Billy – December 22, 2011 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even like Beyonce, Whitney or Mariah, but I love Melanie. She’s amazing. she has a vulnerablity the others don’t have and I like her voice better……

Comment by cookielove – December 22, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could not keep my eyes open for Josh or Melanie (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ). Chris does not have the best voice (not even close) but he was the only one that had me paying attention and being entertained.

Comment by SimonSimple – December 22, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post