The X Factor Top 3 Performance Finale: Follow Along With Our Jaunty Live Blog!

Predictions for The X Factor Performance Finale: One contestant will sing a monster-truck-style ballad. One will bust out an original composition. And one will play an instrument.

We’ll get a glimpse of the Paula Abdul Chair Dance (TM pending). Nicole Schlewbacca’s lashes will glimmer with dewy residue (though no actual tears will muss her foundation). L.A. Reid will take potshots at any vocalist he’s not personally mentoring. And Simon Cowell will call something “bloody fantastic.”

Of course, whether or not my prognosticating proves accurate, one thing is for certain: As the show rolls on, I’ll update you on who’s performed what and offer my opinions of said performances in 10 words or something close to it. So keep refreshing the page for all the good, the bad, and the certainty of Nicole trying to force Josh to sing something dreadful. (Oh, and come back to TVLine mid-Thursday morning for my full episode recap!)

Ready, set, discuss!

Josh Krajcik (with Alanis Morissette): “Uninvited”
Sigh. That song fit his voice like a Size 28 jean fits my midsection. He’s going to need a showstopper in his second number if he wants to get the win.

Chris Rene (with Avril Lavigne): “Complicated”
Mrrrrrr. That might be worth $5 million if this show was called America’s Next Top Song Whisperer. I am not feeling this finale.

Melanie Amaro (with R. Kelly): “I Can’t Believe They Picked This Flippin’ Awful SongI Can Fly”
Honestly, I’d have taken “Trapped in the Closet” over that supersized slice of treacle. A little low for her comfort zone on the opening verse, but (ugh) her voice did kinda soar near the end there.

Josh, Chris, Melanie and Cylons on Steroids: Michael Jackson’s “They Don’t Care About Us”
I cahhhhhhn’t with that.

Josh Krajcik: Etta James’ “At Last”
Absolutely the right choice of song and arrangement, and performed beautifully. (Speaking of perfection, though, I can’t help but plug Melinda Doolittle’s version here, too.)

Chris Rene: “Young Homie”
Simon’s right, that was his $5 million song. (And I’m only a tiny bit bothered that it’s the third time he’s sung it on the show since January.) ¡Melanie had better braaaang something uptempo!

Melanie Amaro: Beyoncé’s “Listen”
Dayum. Her vocals just ate everyone else’s vocals.

OK, your turn. Hit the comments with your thoughts on the X Factor performance finale, and please come back to TVLine mid-Thursday morning for my full episode recap. And for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (218)

• Rumor has it that Josh is being paired with Alanis M. To me, that’s not a good thing. I hope that rumor is wrong.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All three are looking good, though.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just sucks knowing that another dude is about to win a singing show. And of course they’ll flop. Ugh.

Comment by Jason – December 21, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melanie gets the pimp spot…big surprise there.

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was chosen by lots. She drew the envelope with #1 in it, so she had first choice.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure that was fixed somehow

Comment by matt – December 21, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh & Alanis, no. No. No. What is up with that song choice? I wasn’t wowed. Second, song please be better. If not. . .

Comment by Amy – December 21, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Josh=disavowed

Comment by cookoos – December 21, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, there you are, Slezak! I was beginning to worry! Kept looking for the Pre-Game!

Comment by karenb – December 21, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused, do we vote for Alanis? Whoever duets with Bieber will win the whole thing!

Comment by Princess Adora – December 21, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Alanis was so much better-Josh looked uncomforable and weird. Don’t like him anyway-go back to making burritos, tacos, or whatever!

Comment by lin333 – December 21, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wrong song choice. And I hope one of the first things they “fix” for next year is to un-mic the audience during performances. Really irritating.

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I mistake it that Alanis chose that song?

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was initially worried, but I think Josh ultimately held his own – if with a less distinctive voice than Alanis. (Boy, what a voice she has! I own her music and didn’t realize her voice was that strong.) Good job with the random duet, Josh!

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s my opinion that Josh’s voice is even MORE, not less distinctive. I think he held back too much.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My impression was that he was not well acquainted with the song – I think he learned the duet today, late. His voice was good, but the opening could have been better.

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree – I think he flubbed the lyrics a couple of times

Comment by Betsy – December 21, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He can commiserate with Haley Reinhart about being done in by an Alanis song during Top 3 week!

Comment by Terry – December 22, 2011 09:24 AM PDT
        • My first reply seems not to have made it through, so I’ll just say I agree.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A duet with Alanis, how original. <—sarcasm
    Same songs that have been done before, same theme nights that have been done before, and same duet partners. Snore.

Comment by barb – December 21, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ruh ro, Chris is not singing well, but that won’t stop his fan base. I mean, Josh is my guy and a poor first song won’t keep me from voting for him.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Votin for avril. oh wait.

Comment by Krista – December 21, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yikes, these are finale caliber performances?

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That opening for Chris was just horrible, but my guess is that the fans don’t care. Did not work. Nice guy, but he really needs to leave my tv. #1 hit? My sweet bippy.

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it Canadian night on XFactor? I hope another great Canadian comes on now!

Comment by Andrew – December 21, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never mind, R Kelly ruined the trend! haha

Comment by Andrew – December 21, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I just see one of the ghosts from American Horror Story?

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s only really ONE song Melanie is going to sing, given who her duet partner is. And if she sings that song, not only is she NOT getting my vote, I might actually vomit a little bit.

Its initials are “I B I C F.”

I REALLY hope I’m wrong about this song choice though. Like, seriously hoping.

Comment by Jacob Dolan – December 21, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You get the prize–called it exactly.

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why can’t anyone admit chris can’t sing? He was so flat! He can perform- not sing.

Comment by jennifer_nc – December 21, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I admit it, but no one cares. You had to wince a little, huh?

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Neither can bob Dylan sing.

Comment by Itsthewrongthree – December 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Chris Rene sounds like Color Me Badd. I guess all that 90′s stuff is still “in again”

Comment by matt – December 21, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exceedingly true. Thus many actually pay no attention to him.

Comment by My Alter Ego – December 21, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen. WHY do they try to squeeze these performers into categories that they do NOT fit in. When Chris Rene produces a “record” (and I think they all will), he won’t be singing – he’ll be rapping! They choose songs very well suited to the Melanie Amaro’s of the world. If they only want primo singers, they should not bring rappers, etc. into the competition!

Comment by Clarice – December 22, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The nerves are showing big time. Josh held his own with Cowell, though–good on you, Josh!

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melanie=Mariah duet?

Comment by karenb – December 21, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s R Kelly

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bieber and melanie?

Comment by jennifer_nc – December 21, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion, both guys were off key and kept alive only by their professional partners. But maybe Adam Lambert spoiled me with his professionalism when he sang with Kiss and Queeen. I’m hoping this gets better.

Comment by Bonnie – December 21, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adam spoiled us ALL! :)

Comment by Linda – December 21, 2011 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dayum right!!

Comment by Popeye – December 22, 2011 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lately, Simon Cowell’s refused to outrightly critique Chris Rene’s awful performances. Methinks the show is rigged in his favor.

Comment by blessedwarrior – December 21, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thou dost thinketh much truth.
      The *real* Simon would have said simply “That was horrific. Just bloody awful.”

Comment by Billy – December 21, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @ Billy, oh, how I miss the *real* Simon.

Comment by Crystal Fan – December 21, 2011 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh Chris Rene has alot of talent.
      I believe he is STILL in the competition because of america?(:

Comment by Lexie – December 21, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There ya go, Jacob…feeling a bit queezy?

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m already vommed out.

Comment by Jacob Dolan – December 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Chris wins five million dollars in a SINGING competition not for his “singing” but because he is a nice guy with a touching backstory, then Virginia, there really is no Santa Claus.

Comment by Kari – December 21, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO

Comment by rose – December 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …except for him.

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well,it’s not just a singing contest, ala Idull, it’s a TALENT contest,and you can’t deny, he can bring an audience in. He’s the only real original left.

Comment by Irishize – December 21, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess you’re too young to remember Color Me Bad

Comment by matt – December 21, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I remember them too well. They were so bad it was laughable.

Comment by Billy – December 21, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is called X FACTOR- Not the voice. He has the X FACTOR.

Comment by Sarah – December 22, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be better served watching the South Park Christmas specials tonight. The music would certainly be more enjoyable…

Comment by Chop – December 21, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then, perhaps you should do so.

Comment by My Alter Ego – December 21, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • r kelly?! seriously?!

Comment by wtf – December 21, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I thought he was still trapped in that closet, with or without Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Comment by jennifer – December 21, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Crack me up, Jennifer!

Comment by wtf – December 21, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta admit this is a beautiful song when done with a full chorus. But key was off for her, as well as the two previous. What’s up with this?

Comment by Bonnie – December 21, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicole needs to appear on the new show “what not to hair.”

Comment by karenb – December 21, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS is why I’m voting for Melanie, LA REID, Nicole and Paula only want to criticize MELANIE. WTF. They couldn’t admit that Chris can’t sing and is always pitchy and Josh just didn’t shine in that performance tonight. Melanie you got my vote and this thing is so rigged and bias. Really.

Comment by Candy – December 21, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, but none of the three win this round. (the Idols usually do well with their celebrities because it’s not in competition)

Comment by Emily – December 21, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No contestant was entirely comfortable with the duet choice and it showed. They paired them all only today. Melanie was comme ci, comme ca.

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melanie is soo boring with her church singing. All her songs sound the same….she is more of a church singer than stacey francis was and why is she not criticized for always singing slow songs like drew was? I hope their 2nd songs are much better because all of those were just awful.

Comment by Erin – December 21, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sick of Chris and the addict sympathy story. None of them did that well for their first performance. But Melanie did better than Josh and Chris. Chris did horrible, but I “hear” he has a numerous amount of “fans”.

Comment by Denis – December 21, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Give Chris it all, and he will be back to drugs in no time. I have seen it all too often. Josh just stinks-no stage presence or personality. I am sratching my head as to how he even made it to the finals-boring and unappealing. Melanie should win, so you know where my vote went.

Comment by lin333 – December 21, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope all 3 get over their obvious nerves before their next songs.

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The girl singing in the Chevy commercial should win!

Comment by jennrae – December 21, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing… LOL

Comment by bonnie desa – December 21, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Every single time we see that commercial, we wonder where the hell she is instead of these shows LOL. But she’d probably get turned down for some ridiculous reason

Comment by Shindig – December 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She really is the best part of the show.

Comment by Jaded – December 21, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her name is Chelsea Williams. Her Website is http://www.chelseawilliams.com/

I love her voice, too!

Comment by emeraldskye – December 21, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missin’ Astro!!

Comment by Razz – December 21, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I wanna say is they don’t really care about us. Boy, is that an anthem we should all be singing to congress.

Comment by bonnie – December 21, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the flying flip is this crap?

Comment by jennrae – December 21, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another MJ tribute? Seriously?

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That MJ segment was not at all needed…wow…they killed that song and not in a good way.

What a mess smh

Comment by Margo – December 21, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite artist was definitely Alanis of the 3, but Josh seemed really..uncomfortable in the beginning. I enjoy that song though. It killed me inside their song choice for Melanie — seeeeriously? ugh. At least it broke the bet I had it would be either Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston or a shocker from Celine.
    That Michael Jackson tribute was… hard to sit through, gotta be honest. I hope Josh does an original song, his band is actually very good :/

Comment by Shindig – December 21, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want one of those robot costumes for next Halloween.

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF was that? It’s like they have no idea what each singer’s niche is. Hint: It’s not MJ/Cirque du Soleil for any of them.

Comment by Jaded – December 21, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ONLY good thing about these duets is that at least they aren’t as transparent as some of the duets on the UK finale, where you’re basically being TOLD who the real star is that you’re supposed to vote for.

Example:

UK X Factor, season 5:

The ONLY good thing about these duets is that they aren’t as transparent as some of the UK duets, where you’re being TOLD subliminally who’s the star contestant you’re supposed to vote for.

Example:

Eoghan Quigg: Boyzone
    JLS: Westlife
    Alexandra Burke: BEYONCE

Overall, I just think it’s funny that the UK can get people like Rihanna, Christina, Beyonce etc. and the US gets Alanis, R Kelly and Avril?

Comment by Jacob Dolan – December 21, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the appeal is that they -are- in another country.

Comment by jennrae – December 21, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and how are alanis or avril less of a big deal?

Comment by yeah – December 23, 2011 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh? Does this mean Chris will be singing Young Homie and Melanie will sing Listen?

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 21, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my holyo gosh almighty, I loved that song Josh just sang, omg was that an experience!

Comment by ana_muti – December 21, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I love the song, but I don’t like Josh wearing it.

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, Josh….that didn’t work. Enjoy the moment (because that is all there is).

Comment by Yo – December 21, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post