First Look Video: Julianne Moore Channels Sarah Palin in HBO's Game Change

I can see an Emmy from Julianne Moore’s house!

The first footage of Moore playing Sarah Palin in HBO’s upcoming 2008 election-themed flick Game Change has surfaced, and to say the Oscar nominee nailed the former vice presidential candidate is an understatement.

The telepic, set to premiere in March, also stars Ed Harris as John McCain and Woody Harrelson as his campaign manager.

Watch the clip and then hit the comments with your snappy judgements!

Loading video...
TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: First Look, Video

1. Amanda says:

Julianne Moore is great but holy crap… Ed Harris just blew my mind with his few seconds of John McCain.

2. DUH says:

was the title “Batsh*t Crazy” already taken?

3. the girl says:

If we get Tina Fey to impersonate Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin I think my head my explode. From awesomeness.

4. Drew says:

Umm… not really. Moore delivers the line as though she has a stick shoved up… the back of her shirt (where’d you think I was going?). “Vice… President… Of the United States” Way too much focus on how she says what she’s saying. It’s like someone doing an English accent who focuses so much on the pronouncing the words, they forget to add personality to the performance.

Blah.

• Drew says:

And before people can jump on me for being an evil conservative, I also think that the dude who does the Obama impersonation on SNL is horrible… HORRIBLE.

• DL says:

Yes, Fred Armisen’s impression is ridiculous. For all they tout featuring player Jay Pharoah as the “impression guy” they still haven’t let him take over that character.

• cj says:

yeah… fred armisen’s obama is kind of half assed. and YES julianne moore’s delivery of that particular line is CRAZY stiff. that being said, she’s a phenomenal actress and i hope that’s just the way she chose to say the line in the moment. lastly, from this particular glimpse, it doesn’t look particularly interesting… maybe cause, unfortunately, the sarah palin train hasn’t completely left the station… *eye roll*

5. ed says:

is it just me or does this not look very good…

6. Elmo Smith says:

With the usual liberal trash from HBO, i decided to cancel it.

• MichelleR says:

Yes, darn reality, with its liberal bias.

• Midori says:

Of course reality has a liberal bias, conservatives don’t like living in reality.

• Drew says:

I think that was actually the joke that MichelleR was making there.

I think conservatives are funny, with their silly little protests where they insist that they don’t have to pay back their credit card debt or loans and they expect the banks to do it.

Conservatives need to get clued in on reality! Yeah!

• Definitelynotatreehugger says:

Sill little liberals think they don’t have to pay for anything at all with their Occupy Wall Street/etc. Why not occupy a job?

• Drew says:

Shh! I’m trying to get the liberals to agree with me that this philosophy is stupid and then swoop in with the big reveal that it comes from their side!

• Richard Davis says:

Its funny how liberals forget that tim geithner had trouble paying his taxes along with many others. Now why is it do bad when both sides do it. You should call it like it is and both sides are guilty.

Thanks for being fair and balanced.

7. Tee says:

Doesn’t really interest me (and don’t know much about that book) but Ed Harris looks good as McCain.

8. finisterre says:

Julianne Moore is usually a pretty good actress, but the only person who culd pullf off Palin’s looks and mannerisms is Tina Fey. What a pity she wasn’t cast. On the other hand, Ed Harris is pretty convincing as McCain.

I’m waiting for a good Gabrielle Giffords biopic. Now that would be something.

9. section9 says:

Let’s face it. What Moore did was to watch the Fey satires of Palin and imitate those. I can tell from just watching the few bits that Moore does.

And yes, basically the entire book “Game Change” is a big, fat wet kiss to Obama and his campaign team that was done to maintain access by the writers to the Obama White House. Those are the rules of that White House. Critics are barred; suckup reporters, like those at Newsweak or MSNBC, are given access and exclusive leaking.

The bald guy is of course the self-referential Steve Schmidt, who basically told McCain he was going to lose in April and tried to blame Palin for his poor stewardship of the McCain effort. That McCain did as well as he did was only due to Palin’s presence on the ticket. Schmidt would never admit that in a thousand years.

You will notice that on none of this year’s national GOP field teams do you see Steve Schmidt skippering a race. That should tell you all you need to know. The guys who stay long term in this field don’t leak garbage about their candidates in order to burnish their resumes with the Establishment. It just isn’t done.

• Bumpenjack says:

McCain did lose because of Palin.He probably would have lost anyway but she didn’t help him, that’s for sure.Women wouldn’t vote for her and considering McCain’s age, the thought she was a heatbeat away from the Presidency was scary!

• Drew says:

Palin was the reason why McCain didn’t bomb entirely. A lot of republicans didn’t even want to vote for McCain, and seeing Palin’s name on the ballot was the only thing that helped them pull that lever at all. Trust me, it wasn’t Palin being a heartbeat away from the Presidency that republicans were worried about, it was McCain being there.

And while we’re on the subject… seriously, you guys have Biden. He’s America’s druncle… The only person in the world who might be less capable than Obama himself and you somehow managed to get him involved too. If they weren’t ruining the country, it would be almost funny to watch their wacky antics.

You really lost the ability to question the choice of Palin when you went along with Biden. It’s like a guy wearing skinny jeans and using Axe, and then calling someone else a d-bag.

10. Babygate says:

Really Michael? An Emmy? Why? Because she’s playing a polarizing figure that the media loves to pick on? First of all, we don’t see much, but in the little we do see, Moore is stiff and looks even scared completely opposite to Palin’s delivery. And what is the purpose of this movie? Is the public supposed to like it only because it capitalizes on the anti-Palin sentiment? Like W a few years back where they portrayed Bush like a hillbilly with the intellect of a coffee table? I wouldn’t watch this movie even if I did have HBO. But Ed Harris, wow, he looks amazing in this portrayal. That is an actor’s actor…

11. WWP says:

I have to wonder just who in the world the producers think the audience for this film is?

The folks who adore Sarah Palin aren’t going to watch it because they’re sure it will be hatchet job with all the lead roles played by prominent democrats and the folks who hate her would rather have their eyes put out than watch a movie about her no matter who the star is. And the folks who don’t care about her one way or the other will be watching Boardwalk Empire. It’s just going to be another huge bomb like Josh Brolin’s “W” which failed for the same reasons.

12. Midori says:

What is the point of this movie? We lived through the horrible election, we will hopefully live through the next horrible election, why make a TV movie about it now?

13. Michael says:

I am looking forward to this. I think the point of any movie, TV show or book is that it should be entertaining and this looks to be just that.

14. Katherine says:

I’m concerned with why they chose to do a movie on actual presidential candidates. Presidential candidates should be like gods. Unseen but heard of. How the hell am I going to look at another president professionally if I now know their downsides, what ticks them off, and weaknesses. I want a powerful president not one that people can toss over their shoulders and forget about and that’s what these movies do.

15. Entertainment Today says:

I have a filling that your every post is most popular. I think your work is amazing and i like it every time.
    I need some of informetion of the topic that you allways write. I will must come to you for the further informetion.
    Do as you are doing and i think your work is the best. thanks for your nice post that had given me sone of lthe new
    informetion. It will be very bad if i don’t say thanks to you. this is entertainmetn today saing good bye and the best for
    the next post.