Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Oscar Winner Helen Mirren Set to Guest Star as [Spoiler Alert]

How’s this for a crowning achievement: Glee is playing host to the Queen!

Oscar winner Helen Mirren has signed on to guest star in the show’s first episode back on Jan. 17, TVLine has learned exclusively.

But in a twist, the British dame will be heard, not seen.

Per a Glee insider, Mirren provides the “inner voice” of a character who shall remain nameless. (For now at least.)

“Helen came in and secretly recorded several long and hilarious monologues two weeks ago,” says the source. “Then she visited the kids on set, and they had no idea she was coming; they were stunned.”

Glee First Look: New Directions Does Grease!

How’d the royal (and potentially recurring) casting coup come about?

The role was written for Mirren, but there was no guarantee she’d actually do it. So producers dispatched frequent Glee director and Mirren confidante Eric Stoltz (the two co-starred in the 2007 drama The Passion Of Ayn Rand) to sell her on the idea.

Stoltz apparently didn’t have to twist her arm too hard though. “Helen’s a big fan of the show,” says the source, “and the message it sends out about arts education.”

And for the record, this is the same episode that features an appearance by NeNe Leakes. Talk about Real Juxtapositions of Hollywood.

Thoughts? Theories as to whose inner voice Mirren will be supplying? Hit the comments? And if you’re looking for instantaneous Glee spoilers, follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop

1. kristin says:

I love the show. I loved i kissed a girl and girls just wanna have fun. suck it haters.

2. Andrew says:

I love how people on here complain so much about the characters consistancy and how the story line isn`t smooth and idealistic. Does anyone of you actually remember high school? These actors are supposed to be seniors in high school. Bi-polar attitudes are fairly common, as are relationships swinging back and forth. You also have to remember they`re cramming an entire school year into each season so there are time lapses between each episode.

3. Ray says:

I still love this show but it is hit or miss week to week. For anyone who expects Ryan Murphy to keep his word or make sense must have never seen “Popular” or “Nip/Tuck”. He believes he is the star of the show and the reason people tune in every week. Which is why he made a big deal of cast members graduating, he thinks anyone can be replaced with same results. All these guest stars and he still has to fit in the other 2 winners from ‘The Glee Project’.

4. Robbie says:

First of all, I think that most of you so called “Gleeks” take this show way too seriously! I mean, have you ever even noticed Ryan Murphy’s off-the-wall writing style. Has any one of you ever seen an episode of Nip/Tuck? The shows that he creates are pure crazy
    entertainment not soap operas, sit-coms, or dramas. They are never one genre.
    They are an insane mixing pot of everything
    and that’s what makes them unique! While I do agree that the integrity of the show has
    somewhat been compromised by the new writers, I still remain a loyal and dedicated
    Gleek who thoroughly enjoys every episode.
    To those of you who say that the situations and issues that have been portrayed this
    season are inappropriate and unrealistic, I challenge you to research the social media cuz whether you experienced these issues or not, I can assure you that they exsist all over the US.

5. Jackson says:

Helen Mirren is a great actor…i hope she would bring some fun moment to Glee

6. Danny says:

Reading these comments. Wow Glee fans make me angry.

7. Jenny says:

PEOPLE: Stop complaining, it’s all your fault you know. If half of you gleeks didn’t complain about not having enough Brittana RM might not have given her such a big story arch, if that’s what you can call it. Then everyone wanted Kurt to have a boyfriend. He got one but now he’s got more screen time than old glee favorites like Mercedes, Tina, and even Artie. YOUR WELCOME KLAINE FANS. Now you want Brittana? Well you gotta have an outed person in the couple.

You all brought this to yourselves…

You want Beth? Well you gotta have a crazy Quinn behind that story.

The only story arch I like so far is Tina and Mike’s.

RM should seriously get it through his head that you don’t need a gay story to get good ratings. As much as I love Gloria Estefan I can’t stand the fact that Santana is getting ALL the attention. Who cares if she and Brit don’t kiss? A couple doesn’t need to kiss to show their love. We can already see it with the looks and the sweet body language they give each other. GET OVER IT!

8. Caity Schmitz says:

I love this season I wish there was more Klaine but it’s still the beat show ever!!:)

9. Michelle says:

It’s Brittany /

10. Cynthia says:

Lord Tubbington would be hysterical!

Although, perhaps she’s doing the voice over (from the beyond) of the beloved, now-deceased Glee director who’s picture hangs on the wall of the choir room …

11. J says:

i think she is inner voice of Lord Tubbington

12. Em says:

i think shes voicing sue… i heard she supposed to be almost like a guidance counceler… maybe this will be her good consious?

13. I absolutely love your website.. Pleasant colors
    & theme. Did you make this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m hoping to create my very
    own blog and would love to find out where you
    got this from or what the theme is called. Cheers!