Ratings: Terra Nova Ticks Up With Finale, Fear Factor Falls

Fox’s Terra Nova ended its freshman run on a slightly up note this Monday, gaining 4 percent in total viewers (with 7.18 million) and 5 percent in the demo (with a 2.2 rating), though falling shy of its season averages.

That said, the show seems to have stabilized, so the Season 2 pick-up may “simply” be a matter of Fox making the economics work. Surely some of the enormous start-up costs (e.g. initial CGI of the colony, dino modeling) amortize from here on…?

Was the Terra Nova Finale Dino-Mite? Do You Think Fox Should Order a Season 2?

Elsewhere on Monday:

* NBC’s Who’s Still Standing? (5.56 mil/1.5) might want to shy away from that question itself, having shed 37 percent of Fear Factor‘s week-ago 8 o’clock audience and more than half of its demo numbers. Even Fear Factor itself (6.3 mil/2.4), now airing at 9 pm, was down more than 25 percent from its two-hour season opener.

* ABC’s You Deserve it (4.1 mil/1.1) enjoyed a 20 percent bump in both measures.

* Facing poorly resampled repeats, Rock Center With Brian Williams (4.3 mil/1.2) inched up 8 and 9 percent to score its second-largest audience to date and its best demo rating.

All told, a Two and a Half Men repeat drew Monday’s biggest audience (8.5 million viewers), while a reheated 2 Broke Girls commanded the best demo rating (2.7).

1. kevin says:

Don’t bother if TERRA NOVA gets “saved” for another season, probably 50/50.

2. Renee says:

I hope you are right Matt, about the ‘economics’. I want a season 2.

3. Lisa says:

Fear Factor was great last night. The final stunt was crazy.

4. ggny says:

cya Terra Nova…There is NO WAY with those numbers it comes back with how much money it cost to make

5. Mikaylah says:

I would love Terra Nova to get a 2nd season. I feel like it really picked up story wise the past few episodes. I’ve always like the whole Shannon family (even though many think the kids are dispensable). And Lucas Taylor is a great bad guy.

• LC says:

I agree with you about the story picking up. It’s really too bad that it only got 13 episodes this season because we really only got the set up for what could be a great story to come! This whole season led up to the Terra Novans cutting themselves off from the future world, and now the “real” story can begin. The story really feels to me like “Star Trek” in the past. Of course, they’re tethered to one spot rather than traveling the galaxy, but the individual episodes have that feel to them. We have our issues that we wrap up from week to week, but then there’s a thread that leads us to the next episode.

I also feel like we’re just now getting to see the depth of multi-dimensional characters. Taylor getting the hug from mini-Shannon last night reminded me of Piccard with kids…he’s not comfortable with them, but really feels protective of them. I’ve flip-flopped over the season as to who’s side the Shannon’s should be on, but we’ve finally gotten our answer and only in the past couple of episodes.

So bring it on…Season 2, please!

• deeannek says:

Oh they have to bring it back. That tease about the badlands intrigues me. Could it be a portal to other time periods? If so they aren’t really as cut off from the future world as we might think.

• JJ says:

If season 2 will be anything like the final few episodes of Terra Nova, then I’m all for bringing it back. But if they go with the lame family thing like the writers did for most of this season in the beginning, then I won’t bother.

6. Karl says:

If its not picked up for tv I hope someone does some books on it. The mystery/storyline allows for so much more to happen…
    I nhalf wonder if instead of other portals are they maybe in the future not the past?
    If there are other portals though could Lucas think he can redirect where one leads in time?

7. Lauren says:

I really really really want this show to be on for another season. I thought it was incredible! Amazing! Awesome!! Suspenseful! Romantic! Exciting! And too many things good things I can’t text all at once! I LOVE this show!

8. Snapy says:

Terra Nova was just “meh”, a C+ show at best. I don’t care if it comes back. If it does, I might watch, or I might not.

9. Matt says:

Well after last night I want more but I guarantee if it gets renewed I’ll start spacing out and missing episodes after about 3 or 4.

10. Jules says:

Seriously, who cares! After snoozing half of episode 1…I never get interested-boring action and terrible dialogue/fake dinosaurs…not worthy to save it…So Glad that my [H]ouse can return at is normal time slot…
    Was painful to wait a hour to enjoy my favorite addiction…
    Last night, I preferred watching the old Christmas episode of the chipmunks than watch that crap,(avatar/Jurassic park put in a blinder)

11. nate says:

Terra Nova is just gonna be another Terminator…except Terminator had better ratings in the 1st season

12. luli says:

there is a Terra Nova twitition goin on http://twitition.com/acjjh sign it and lets hope for the best!

13. Chuckfan says:

I think i know where T.N fans are coming from. Chuck is my favorite show but it doesn’t get too many fans. I know that the Fox network gives up on their shows so fast. Great example, Arrested Development. I do hope T.N lasts. I hate how people bitch about the characters. The person here had something to say about the characters from T.N. I watched T.N and I love the characters. Check it out: http://theillumi-nerdi.blogspot.com/2011/12/best-of-2011-tv-shows.html

It’s interesting what they say but i don’t agree.

14. Brandon says:

The season finale was amazing, and I truly hope it gets picked up for another season.

15. Doug-H says:

The should cancel TN and bring back Chicago Code… that was a great Monday Night show that FOX gave up on…

• Chris says:

Delroy Lindo was the only good part of Chicago Code. Kelsey Grammar’s “Boss” took a similar concept and focused on the interesting part of the story. CC could have been more than just another campy procedural.

16. Kaibosh says:

Frankly I don’t care if it comes back. Its pretty clear that they’re borrowing heavily from Planet of the Apes. The bow of the ship found in the bad lands clearly means that they didn’t travel back in time but forward.

17. Britney says:

Noooo!!!!! TERRA NOVA MUST COME BACK FOR SEASON 2. My whole family loves this show and the plot is so cool. PLEASE BRING IT BACK FOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!