Was the Terra Nova Finale Dino-Mite? Do You Think Fox Should Order a Season 2?

Fox’s Terra Nova wrapped up its maiden voyage on Monday night with back-to-back hours titled, fittingly, “Occupation” and “Resistance.” But while the show pulled out all the stops with its finale, was it enough to make you scream for a Season 2?

“Occupation” kicked off with Terra Nova awaiting-slash-dreading the arrival of the 11th pilgrimage, which would either be 100 new friendlies or the Phoenix Group private army en route to enforce Lucas and Mira’s takeover of the colony and thus the prehistoric world’s natural riches. And indeed, the seventh or so person to pass through was a suicide bomber whose explosive vest destroyed the portal, thus allowing the army to arrive under cover elsewhere and promptly overthrow Taylor’s regime.

Jim learned all this upon waking from the blast three days later, where he found a trampled, torched and tattered Terra Nova, with Taylor nowhere to be found. Soon enough, thanks to a (somewhat improbably discovered) clue, Jim tracked down Taylor, and with ample help from Wash, began to plan to fight back.

While Mira was sent to scout out the presumed barren Badlands area of the territory, Lucas attempted to bond with his “sister,” Skye, with whom he obviously hoped to get… closer, like on a Deb/Dex level. The Taylor punk’s interest would pay off later when Josh came thisclose to getting the tar completely beat out of him at Boylan’s bar. Instead, Skye begged him not to, so instead Lucas tortured Jim for his father’s whereabouts, after a rash of ambushes on Phoenix troops began to take their toll. Crafty Elisabeth, though, used the threat of a parasitic infection to compel the Phoenix Group point man, Weaver, into getting Jim sprung. (As Josh aptly nailed it: “Mom, that was awesome.”) Then, thanks to Walsh pinching an access card off a drunk soldier — and then her own sacrifice of life (tear) — the Shannons were able to escape the colony and rendezvous with Taylor, Reynolds et al in the forest, to plot the final strike.

The plan: Smuggle Jim back to 2149 in one of the Phoenix group’s cargo bins, where he would then plant an explosive to blow up Hope Plaza, thus cutting off Lucas and Mira from further reinforcements — though at the same time cutting the good guys off from new pilgrimages and supplies of meds and technology. To get Jim through, Skye helped Lucas’ transport get ambushed, though he later got the upper hand on her (boo) and headed for a final showdown with his dad.

Jim got through to Hope Plaza, where he set up Weaver to spring on his bosses another piece of unexpected cargo — a Carno, and an angry and hungry one at that. While the dino dined on greedy baddies, Jim set the bomb, then sprinted for the portal before he became dessert and before Hope Plaza want kaboom. Meanwhile, Taylor found and wailed on his boy, only to let a misplaced and horribly timed bit of sentimentality render him vulnerable to a stabbing. But before Lucas could dispatch with his dad completely, Skye got off two presumably fatal shots at “brother” dearest.

Coda: Jim made it through, and promptly reunited with Elisabeth. Mira seems mighty miffed that the portal is shut down, probably because she was itching to reunite with her daughter. Taylor survived the stabbing, though Lucas’ body (of course) went missing. And in the final non-treacly scene, Taylor, Jim, Elisabeth and Malcolm popped open the cargo bin containing Mira’s Badlands discovery — an aged, weathered ornamental prow from the Black Rock an 18th-century ship. How it got to their prehistoric world — and why the remaining Phoenix troops made a beeline to the area where it was found — nobody knows.

What did you think of Terra Nova? Did the show’s stronger episodes outweigh the weaker links? And did the finale’s twists make you curious enough to hope for a Season 2 renewal of this OK-rated and very expensive series? (And if it were to come back, what changed would you like to see?)

1. Thu says:

I hope for Season 2, this is one of my favorite show. I’ll be devastated if it ends here.

2. 12th pilgrimage says:

I think the finale was great! It’s good that they answered most questions, so if the show doesn’t get renewed, at least I’ll be happy that it didn’t end with a cliffhanger. (besides the possible story of Badlands)

3. Lonnie says:

I definitely think it deserves a second season. TN is a lot more original than a lot of the other repeated crap on TV now…

Here the problem… Remember Firefly? One of the most imaginative sci-fi shows in years… Fox canceled it after 1 season despite the huge fan base.

Its not really Fox’s fault. Its all the idiots out there. Family Guy, American Dad, and Allen Gregory appeal to the brain dead masses. If there wasn’t for Terra Nova I would still be boycotting fox for their decision to cancel the more intelligent shows for a bunch of fart jokes.

4. Dannyboy9841 says:

Yes too season 2! Definitely yes!

5. Kim says:

Love the show!!! Hoping for at least one more season!!! Love the cast and premise of the show. Special effects are great. There is heart is every episode.

6. Shannon says:

Best show!!!!!! Please come out with another season

7. Britney says:

Terra Nova was great!! It is such a great, and exciting show. One of its strong points is being totally different to everything else you see. It was a fantastic first season, including the finale! The different relationships involved in the show are so interesting, even with the many remaining mysteries, but that just makes the show even more excellent!! The finale was so attention-grabbing, it leaves you wondering about so many things… It would be a absolute shame if it was to be cancelled.

8. thereasonsy says:

Should it get renewed? YES. Will it? I doubt it. Fox doesn’t cotton for shows thta need to build an audience that costs this much. We are lucky to keep getting Fringe.

9. The truth says:

Terra nova
    I like the show its different in a lost meets part time Jurassic park i think it deserves second season al first seasons are rough I think it could use a better time slot due so much mon night football and all these others shows that make this show deserve a second season like idol x fac there just so much other crap that makes no sense like the kardashians it’ makes me sick but there’s a market it for it so be it thank god for remotes to turn channels fast but another scary thing is that fox has a rep to ax great shows unless your animated and been the same age for 25 years simpsons but I enjoy it and family guy as well but don’t tune in like I would Dexter true hbo shows but I think we need a show Luke terra nova it’s fresh no to spacey and great potential I say season 2 green light 13 episodes to much invested FYI 20 mill and episode could get better then nerd guns spray painted black and also there in jurassic park and everybody has fresh haircuts and clean beards and shaves hmm but everyone has an opion this is mine
    Happy holidays

10. Space Whale Inc. says:

I for one, love the show. It’s Star Trek for people who don’t want to admit to watching Star Trek (albeit with a more linear story line, and dinosaurs instead of Klingons).

I think they made a mistake in using episodes 2 and 3 for encapsulated stories unrelated to the larger plot (long before any element of the plot had time to get stale), but I’m very excited about a second season.

“Jim, I’m a doctor, not a chemist.” —Elizabeth Shannon

11. Lolly says:

Get crackin’ on Season 2, FOX!

12. Linda says:

Yes!!!!!! Love the show so nice to watch something different and NOT a reality show!

13. Michelle says:

Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it. Felt it was mostly trite and contrived actually. Like someone else said if the choice is Terra Nova for a final season of Fringe, I want Fringe. Period.

14. Erin says:

Get rid of it. Not worth the amount of money spent on it.

15. Michael Sacal says:

I definitely think that Fox should renew the commercials that air alongside Terra Nova on TV so that we can all see the show digitally without commercial interruptions on the Internet.

16. Daniel says:

ok i like tera nova alot, but it could be better, they should hace alot more dino scenes, the first 2 episodes and the season finally were awesome, i like the 6rs as bad guys but nothing can top a dino attack, now that theyr cut off from the future maybe theyll concentrate on dinos, the most dissapointing episode was the spinosaurus one, the commercal made it look freakin awesome, but he was it in for 1 min, and didnt even do anything. now i also am happy that they finally killed a dino in the finally,

17. Daniel says:

they shot the brachiosaurus, in every dino move no human has ever killed a dino usually, all the jurrassic parks and tera nova, its like the freakin dinos are bullet proof, you can shoot a nucliar bomb at them and theyll get up, im glad theyr getting realistic with the dinos deaths, even though i felt bad for the brachiosaurus lol

18. jemie01 says:

i so want there to be a season 2 because they cant’t stop with season 1 because they have lefted so many things like what happened to Lucas, where did that part of the ship come from.

19. kimothy r zimmerman says:

YES , GREAT YES 2 SEASON PLEASE!!!!!!

20. Renee says:

I enjoyed it all season. And it should definitely get a season 2. However, they really need to get a writer who can do dialogue. It wouldn’t take much tweaking to change a decent show into an excellent show and keep it family friendly.

21. Jay says:

The lack of other SciFi made me give it a shot in the first place.

Watched all of season 1 and while it had it’s good stuff, so did it have it’s bad. I do hope it gets a chance to grow/envolve, as SciFi series usually take a season 2 to really get going.

Storywise, they shaked it up (no future connection) for an interesting possibility and then already started undoing it (a 2nd time portal) right away, instead of waiting a couple of episodes at least.

Also the main storyarc should somehow be more than just: evil/greedy 2149ers want to stripmine Terra Nova for their personal benefit vs building up a new world/existince by the TerraNovans though.

22. I am really glad that Terra Nova had such a great finale last night. I did not want to miss one single second of it and I’m glad I didn’t. Please renew Terra Nova for a second season, FOX! I can’t wait to see the completion of last night’s new twist storyline and I want to see move of all the Terra Nova cast, especially Stephen Lang and Jason O’Mara! The whole cast is amazing though and I Love all the Firefly-named characters in the show, such as Zoe, Malcolm, Reynolds, Wash and a Fringe-named character, Dunham. I probably have missed many more references to those shows and the LOST touches are great!
    ^5 Terra Nova!

23. Chuck says:

Finally a sci-fi show I love. I will be highly disappointed if they do not return for a Season 2. I voted for it on People’s Choice Awards as well for best new TV Drama. FOX give us a season two!!!

24. graeme says:

a friend sent me the last episode.so i could waTCH IT HERE IN AUSTRALIA.THIS IS THE FIRST DRAMA THAT I HAVE HAD TO BE HOME EACH SUNDAY TO WATCH.SINCE PRISONER IF IT DOES’NT RETURN I WILL BE DISSAPOINTED.the finale was awsome.just add a few more special effects a few more creatures dinosaurs ect.and it will really rock..please give us a second series.graeme australia

25. crystal larkin says:

that was a great season filale! I loved all the mystery that went along with the ending & i hope there will be a 2nd season! Fingers crossed!

26. Zac says:

I LOVED THE FINALE!! Season one was so good! I hope that there’s going to be a season two!!

27. kevin says:

Really don’t know what Fox is going to do about TERRA NOVA if there’s a 50/50 chance this sci-fi series is getting “saved”.

28. Plum says:

Did you see Taylor’s golden sun dappled pecks gleaming when he was helped out of the truck near the end when all the colonists were singing the Ewok victory song? Sure he was all bandaged from a Luke-stabbin’ but damn was Taylor sexy. Time literally slowed down, I swear. Yes. Mm hm. Oh and the rest of the ep was awesome fun, I actually liked that black haired bad guy who got Carnoed at Hope Plaza, he was quite the funny weenie, but he had to perish for killing that Brachiasaurus.

I’m so upset that Wash got killed, are we sure that wasn’t just a glancing blow? That the rebs don’t have her in a brig somewhere? Cuz she was awesome, the show doesn’t work without a bad ass chick.

Zoe was all kinds of adorable with Taylor, they really used her character well as a reminder of what they were all fighting for. All in all we loved it but Taylor’s pecs? Priceless. Can I give Taylor a hug too?

29. Lisa says:

I watched a few epis and wasn’t impressed. I taped like 7 more then a few weeks ago i realized I had no interest in watching them and deleted them to make room for better shows.

30. Eventually says:

Absolutely loved the finale and hoping for a Season 2!! The finale hit all the buttons for me, somewhat to my surprise. Choked me up more than once and made my laugh out loud at the Carnosaurus strategy in 2149.

31. Ariel says:

I love this show. It’s different. It’s interesting. It’s fun. It’s one of my favorite on TV right now. I wish it had more episodes.

32. sidncoke says:

One of my fav shows without a doubt!! MGot my full Vote for a season 2. Now Imagine this:

Other civilization(s) during or before the Ice Age discovered that same time rift and did exactly what 2149 did. Imagine what technologically advanced and Evolved beings they will have to face in season 2!!!

I cant wait!!! please vote to keep this show going!!! I hope season 2 wont take too long to start airing.

33. Carlita says:

As Americans we complain about no American jobs and as Americans we all know that TV & Film generates a lot of American income via it’s advertisers. So why should we support this show that is obviously un American? I believe there are a handful of American actors and it’s not even filmed in the USA however during the incessant commercials they want us to buy from American companies that are already shipping all the jobs overseas. I say farewell Terra Nova until you start acting American and helping America’s economy go home! Steven Spielberg should be ashamed for biting the hand that feeds him. Ijust hope you guys love America as much as I do and boycott season 2 if it makes it back to the small sceen.

• Danielle says:

That’s so rude and xenophobic, your brain must be of the size of a pea. America is not an island, we need the rest of the world as they need us, this line of thinking is just downright ignorant and even laughable.

34. Marcelo souza says:

Of corse ….we will welcome season 2

35. Sara says:

I liked the finale. I liked the series. It is sure to be canceled.

I am so tired of lame reality and even more lame comedies and dramas going on for years while anything with “science fiction” in its description is flip-flopped about or replaced by anything for a week or two and then finally canceled because of poor ratings. Half the time we can’t find it. Even such names as Spielberg doesn’t carry enough weight to overcome this.

Look at that dumb show Star Trek. They had to cancel it. It was going nowhere. BUT…40 odd years later.

Sometimes I think television and its rating system doesn’t have a clue.

36. JeffDJ says:

I still can’t believe they killed off Josh’s girlfriend! After all the pining, dashed-then-renewed hopes, and potential of teen love triangles, she FINALLY gets to Terra Nova only to be killed in the bomb blast! And when Jim woke up 3 days later, it was such a change I thought he had been blasted into an alternate reality or landed in some Evil Guy’s holodeck, but then I remembered I wasn’t watching Star Trek.

Anyway, I enjoyed this season, especially the last few eps and would love to see a 2nd season, especially after the ship’s prow revelation.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Right?!

• Rachel says:

I don’t know, I’m actually kind of glad Kara’s gone. I really like Josh & Skye, and I think the plotline was more about proving Josh’s character/loyalty/determination than actually being about Kara. I never really wanted to get to know her, haha.

37. Tom says:

I have to say renew it because it has potential. Very few series get all the kinks ironed out in just half a season, which is all they had to work with. Now they have a story direction (surviving with no future technology), and the mystery of the ship, I think that they can get it on a good path. I would like to see them get the chance to try, anyway.

38. mike says:

Like the show, nothing else quite like it on today.

39. LC says:

If you’ve been watching the entire season of Terra Nova, this was a great payoff! And our good guys won in the end…for now. PLEEEEEZ renew for Season 2. We’ve only just gotten a glimpse of how good this show could be because it took so long to set up. I almost feel like these 13 episodes were the “pre-story” to the “real” story!

40. Nevets says:

I suspect they will do a “Planet of the Apes” and the colonists will find out they are actually in the future, not the past.

41. Sara says:

There must me a natural rift or wormhole. Maybe they are going to play on the “Bermuda Triangle” mysteries.

42. Des says:

Most people on these reviews seem like they spend their whole day watching television. Stop being so superfluous with your extremely over critical reviews. It bothers me that people won’t give a show a chance, its on a free channel, your not paying for it, so deal with it. Some of us actually prefer the show to the crap most of you watch these days and have nostalgia attacks over.

43. prish says:

FOX, renew Terra Nova, and all is forgiven with your news shows. Give us Terra Nova, and you can keep doing your news thing, as you wish. Give Americans entertainment, they will tolerate anything.

44. Rachel says:

I hope Fox doesn’t cancel it, the season was solid and the finale was GREAT! The 13-episode model worked really well for this show (with pacing and all), and I think it would be great with another small set. It’s also getting decent ratings, and for sci-fi, that’s a huge deal!! (“If you need another hug, just ask.” – SO. ADORABLE.)

45. love terra nova says:

PLEASE RENEW!!!!! i love this show!!!!

46. Ehaze says:

Gotta have a 2nd season. Have loved it all the way through. The finale was great….recorded it and alteady rewatched it twice!! Please dont cancel it.

47. Leigh says:

Loved terra nova really hope there’s a season two

48. luli says:

i would love to see more screentime for skye and reynolds; more about the dynamic of “father daughter” from taylor and skye; and skye and josh as a couple <3

THIS SHOW NEEDS TO BE RENEWED!

49. Rick says:

Hope they bring it back. My family and I love this show!!! Really hope they have a second season!!!:)

50. Xhingh says:

This is a bubble gum sci-fi show for those who aren’t interested in science or true science fiction. There is nothing at all provocative or groundbreaking about the plot, the cast or characters. Truly rubbish. All the characters are cut and paste from other TV shows or recent movies. By the way sci-fi is a niche genre, trying to make it all things to all people only alienates the base it needs to sustain it. All in all, it is a silly family drama for a simple-minded American audience.