Was the Terra Nova Finale Dino-Mite? Do You Think Fox Should Order a Season 2?

Fox’s Terra Nova wrapped up its maiden voyage on Monday night with back-to-back hours titled, fittingly, “Occupation” and “Resistance.” But while the show pulled out all the stops with its finale, was it enough to make you scream for a Season 2?

“Occupation” kicked off with Terra Nova awaiting-slash-dreading the arrival of the 11th pilgrimage, which would either be 100 new friendlies or the Phoenix Group private army en route to enforce Lucas and Mira’s takeover of the colony and thus the prehistoric world’s natural riches. And indeed, the seventh or so person to pass through was a suicide bomber whose explosive vest destroyed the portal, thus allowing the army to arrive under cover elsewhere and promptly overthrow Taylor’s regime.

Jim learned all this upon waking from the blast three days later, where he found a trampled, torched and tattered Terra Nova, with Taylor nowhere to be found. Soon enough, thanks to a (somewhat improbably discovered) clue, Jim tracked down Taylor, and with ample help from Wash, began to plan to fight back.

While Mira was sent to scout out the presumed barren Badlands area of the territory, Lucas attempted to bond with his “sister,” Skye, with whom he obviously hoped to get… closer, like on a Deb/Dex level. The Taylor punk’s interest would pay off later when Josh came thisclose to getting the tar completely beat out of him at Boylan’s bar. Instead, Skye begged him not to, so instead Lucas tortured Jim for his father’s whereabouts, after a rash of ambushes on Phoenix troops began to take their toll. Crafty Elisabeth, though, used the threat of a parasitic infection to compel the Phoenix Group point man, Weaver, into getting Jim sprung. (As Josh aptly nailed it: “Mom, that was awesome.”) Then, thanks to Walsh pinching an access card off a drunk soldier — and then her own sacrifice of life (tear) — the Shannons were able to escape the colony and rendezvous with Taylor, Reynolds et al in the forest, to plot the final strike.

The plan: Smuggle Jim back to 2149 in one of the Phoenix group’s cargo bins, where he would then plant an explosive to blow up Hope Plaza, thus cutting off Lucas and Mira from further reinforcements — though at the same time cutting the good guys off from new pilgrimages and supplies of meds and technology. To get Jim through, Skye helped Lucas’ transport get ambushed, though he later got the upper hand on her (boo) and headed for a final showdown with his dad.

Jim got through to Hope Plaza, where he set up Weaver to spring on his bosses another piece of unexpected cargo — a Carno, and an angry and hungry one at that. While the dino dined on greedy baddies, Jim set the bomb, then sprinted for the portal before he became dessert and before Hope Plaza want kaboom. Meanwhile, Taylor found and wailed on his boy, only to let a misplaced and horribly timed bit of sentimentality render him vulnerable to a stabbing. But before Lucas could dispatch with his dad completely, Skye got off two presumably fatal shots at “brother” dearest.

Coda: Jim made it through, and promptly reunited with Elisabeth. Mira seems mighty miffed that the portal is shut down, probably because she was itching to reunite with her daughter. Taylor survived the stabbing, though Lucas’ body (of course) went missing. And in the final non-treacly scene, Taylor, Jim, Elisabeth and Malcolm popped open the cargo bin containing Mira’s Badlands discovery — an aged, weathered ornamental prow from the Black Rock an 18th-century ship. How it got to their prehistoric world — and why the remaining Phoenix troops made a beeline to the area where it was found — nobody knows.

What did you think of Terra Nova? Did the show’s stronger episodes outweigh the weaker links? And did the finale’s twists make you curious enough to hope for a Season 2 renewal of this OK-rated and very expensive series? (And if it were to come back, what changed would you like to see?)

1. Andrew says:

Wait, the Black Rock? Wasn’t that the ship from LOST? What is it doing out there?

• cj says:

its in the Land of the Lost! duh, where all missing things go (there and the room of requirement).

• Vineet says:

All things missed in Bermuda Triangle Appear There.That Means Bermuda Triangle is the NEW PORTAL!

• majamababe says:

Exactly what my son said when they opened the cargo container and saw the prow of an 18th Century ship. I think the show is headed in the right direction. If they can keep up the momentum from Monday’s final into a second season, then the show has a chance. However, probably depends on how well Fox’s new winter and spring shows do.

• Lennie MacDonald says:

I was thinking the exact same thing as you

• transcender9 says:

man this show was so disappointingly bad. I gave it a chance. so many names behind the scenes, but this show was SO BORING.
      With the people from ST and Nikita, its an abomination HOW boring/slow this was. I terrible family drama, on the back drop of the prehistoric.
      Absolutely NOT a SciFi show. Just a bad after school mini series.
      Spielberg’s name on this and almost feels like dying to put some juxtaposed aliens/robots in this thing.
      This show has got to be so freaking expensive but its just too boring.
      Its more thinly veiled than Avatar and seems more dated than Jurassic Park. Translucent screens aside, give fans some credit.
      The big bad is old rich white dudes? Everyone is after rocks? Like Avatar? The best thing about the show is the WOMEN, but they’re all relegated to little airtime and lame stories if anything. Jim is so boring. Taylor is exact same as Avatar, enough. baby taylor is a whining btch and terrible actor that seems like Dollar Store version of Jake Gyllenhaal.
      SPOILERY:

The ships from the bermuda triangle. boom.
      Wash one of the potentially interesting characters?….Lets KILL her?
      Jim w/ ex GF 10 from the bmber and shes dead as nail and hes got a ring in his ear? Doods are on FIRE and hes aok after a powernap? WTF

2. JoAnna says:

Absolutely loved the finale! Strongest ep of the season and yes it totally merits another season. They have some Promotion work to do, but it’s definitely worth it!

3. PeterOlivia says:

I hope it will get renewed, but if it stands in the way of Fringe I hope it gets cancelled. Sorry Terra Nova fans.

4. Heather says:

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! I am still really sad about Wash, she was one of my favorites. But I think she went out with class. I loved that they wrapped up almost every storyline just in case Season 2 doesn’t come around. But they have so much to explore if they do, so fingers crossed. Also, I loved the small scene between Zoe and Taylor. Very sweet.

5. Jon says:

Although the finale was good, the rest of the season, save for the premiere, was not. I vote for cancellation.

6. Katie says:

I need a season 2. The finale was AMAZING!

7. Stef says:

Hell yes to a 2nd season, after that finale, canceling would be cruel. They answered so much but left so much to build on!

• Jules says:

I too hope that they have a 2nd season! I loved the finale! We were on the edge of our seats the whole time! It’s an amazing show and I loved every episode!

8. Karl says:

Great show! Definitely want to see another season!

9. Aaron says:

I really loved the finale the rest of the season was great also i have to without a doubt vote for a season 2

10. Brian says:

Thats why the black rock has a line through it, it was wrong

11. Po says:

Wash went out well, but it still made me sad. I really liked her. Also I didn’t like what happened with Kara.

• cj says:

yeah there was this big build up and then she was like *DEAD*. what a waste of a plot line.

• Sen says:

I think Cara was a necessary plot point to bring Josh and Skye closer together. I think they are really good together and Cara was standing in the way of that.

• dubsg says:

I don’t know…I felt Cara was standing in the way of Josh and Skye but we never actually saw Cara die, in fact Jim was in between her and the bomber, he even pushed her to the ground. Now that there is a lot of heat between Taylor’s son and Josh over Skye, maybe we get a surprise that he found and saved Cara. In that case Josh would have to choose between her and Skye, put his hatred for Taylor’s son and his new found loyalty for his dad aside one more time only to find out that Cara is with Taylor’s son and they have taken advantage of Josh. There are so many ways you could go with this show and the many characters that they have introduced, I mean we saw Wash get shot but did we really see her dead…think about it.

12. Helen says:

really am hoping for a season 2! Finale was EPIC. Terra Nova is the FIRST show in YEARS to keep my attention and make sure i watched EVERY episode of the season. So really do hope theres a season 2.

13. gebe says:

enjoyed the series, glad they dumped the teenage angst and angry dad. the finale was was awesome hope it gets a second season

14. Megan says:

It was fantastic!! I loved all of it except Wash dying…I loved her. Waiting nine months will be hard but it is berthed than never! Second season please!!

15. Tam says:

Loved it!!! Would love to see season 2!!!

16. Marty Milton says:

Definitely think Trra Nova deserves a 2nd season. Sasly, last couple of Sci-FI series I’ve liked were cancelled after one season.

17. T Morr says:

Great show, have to disagree with a lot of the critics. While the show had some areas that have been done before I think we see this in some aspect in every show. I personally thought Terra Nova was well done and deserves a second season. I can’t wait. Already bought the full first season for my iPhone.

18. Mike says:

yes bring on season 2

19. Chad says:

Yes I want Terra Nova in 2012 please Santa hear my request

20. Brittany says:

Great show!!!! I hope this gets a season 2, I can’t wait to see what they come up with for next season!!!!

21. Johnny5ive says:

Love the show. It’s a little campy & too family friendly at times but I have to say other than Prime Suspect it was my fav new series of the year. I’m very interested in a second season. I am a weekly DVR recorder & usually finish the episode the same night it records.

22. Katie says:

Really enjoying the show! Liked the finale and I think the series is just starting to roll. Really can’t wait to see MORE giving me faith in network tv again.

23. Mig78 says:

I haven’t like a show like this since SG-1 so please let us have a season 2.

24. Eric says:

I defiantly think season two should happen. I loved the whole season. Like anything some weak some strong. Overall loved it.

25. Michele says:

Love it….hope to see more….

26. Autumn says:

YEEESSS to loooooooaaads more of seasons of Terra Nova!!!!! This is one of my favsss shows ever!! DONT CANCEL IT!!

27. Aidan says:

I loved it! Im going to be so mad if they cancel the show…

28. Paul says:

Come on Season 2! Fox would be foolish to let such a great show go!

29. Mike Mitchell says:

Show was awesome so much opening I love the thought of a second season come on fox bring it plleeaassse!!!!

30. Mike says:

This is the best show on tv right now. For once can the boneheaded network execs get it right and renew it?

31. Michael says:

I Need a another season that was the best series I watched in a long time. I like how they didn’t want to overload with dinosaurs so that when they show them it’s a big deal. Would want to over amp it with dinos

32. Ryan says:

The show got better when the son stopped having a major role a few episodes ago. I actually liked him in this last episode. I think the show deserves a second season, as long as they learn from their mistakes.

33. Kayla says:

I love this show and I want a season 2 please!! So much adventure!! Love all the action!!! Let’s see a season 2.

34. K.O. says:

Great show. However I have mixed feelings on the season finale, good storyline but writers need to do a better job of writing plausible scenarios and stop writing these characters as if they were idiots or stop treating audience like they are stupid. “Gee what could a 1800s ship in Badlands mean?” Seriously? That is your “cliffhanger”? Lucas believing the lame story of Skye to be setup, seriously? That one I was waiting for the twist from Lucas but nope they wrote him like he was an idiot (but wait isn’t he a genius?) Writers need to STEP UP their game to keep my interest.

• Vazik says:

Let’s think about that for a second. Just because he’s a genius in Physics, doesn’t mean he knows jack crap about women turning on you. In fact, being such the life-devoted nerd that he is, he probably knows a lot less than the average person. Just sayin…

• Lavos says:

Lucas was moronic to be duped by Skye, but I have to agree with Vazik. Being a super genius in one field doesn’t necessarily transfer over otherwise, the opposite is as often true (disabled/slow in another area/s). Lucas was clearly delusional/disfunctional when it comes to personal relationships. Thinking of Skye as a sort of “sister” even though they had no personal relationship (besides Lucas threatening to kill her mother and making extremely creepy loving gestures towards her ewwwww). So not so far fetched that he could be easily swayed to think his “sister” came to the same realization about their pops Taylor and switch allegiances.

35. Katrina says:

Loved Terra Nova all season! We got Hulu plus just so we could watch this show every week. definitely would watch season 2.

36. Alex says:

It is ok, I would like another season… fringe started well, now is boring, predictable & lost, like lost… JJ gets so mysterious that even he gets lost…

37. sarah says:

LOVED IT … HOPE IT GETS RENEWED… ANYONE ELSE THINK THE BADLANDS AND THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE WILL BE LINKED IN SEASON 2???

38. Patrick says:

Yes!!! There must be more! Terra Nova is a great show. I’m tired of seeing great shows cancelled for a new show and all of these shows only seeing one season. That’s starting to become too common. If that continues then soon all series will only see one season. Keep Terra Nova Alive!!!

39. DanL says:

Excellent finale. Early in the season I was worried we might have another Lost on our hands where nothing ever really gets resolved, but it all tied up nicely with enough scope for a deffinately well earned follow up season! Please make more, it always seems to be the good shows that get cancelled while the cheesey or dull stuff gets crammed down our throats over and over again!!

40. cj says:

i didn’t find the finale as dynamic as i’d hoped it would be, in fact i think it suffered from some pacing and predictability issues. for instance, while the cinematography in the first hour was amazing, they could’ve shortened it up and gotten to the action faster; could’ve played out the tension of Jim being back in 2149 longer – i didn’t really feel the urgency of his and Elizabeth’s reunion. all that being said, i think if they tighten up the script and story arcs, Terra Nova could be a fun and entertaining show for whole family, as corny as it sounds. it’s like a cheesy B-grade movie that no matter how many faults you find in it, you still buy it on DVD and watch it every year because it makes you giddy every time a dinosaur almost eats someone (or actually does).

41. scott burkett says:

Absolutely, def filled the weekly favorite show role left by Lost.

42. ml says:

Anyone notice the two earths at the very end?

43. billy says:

terra nova needs to be renewed, it is one of the few great shows on television and more than anything i’m looking forward to seeing what awaits us in the badlands! Without a direct link to the future sending supplies and people it will be much more interesting than it already is! please renew it Fox!

44. Tammyella says:

Terra Nova is amazing! So many of my favorite shows were cancelled last year, it would break my heart if this was! Season 2, season 2!

45. Floppy says:

I guess if you’re going to steal from another show, there really isn’t a better one…Love the show, but could definitely use some character development. Bring it back.

46. Brad says:

It was the Moon.

47. zachjf says:

As an avid sci-fi fan I love Terra Nova and think it has a ton of potential. So many decent sci-fi shows end up sucking or going so far over the top they get axed. Terra Nova has the perfect mix of what a show should be and I hope the network execs give it the chance it deserves. Renew Terra Nova!!!!!

48. Brad says:

It was just the Moon.

49. Ron says:

I really enjoy Terra Nova. There’s no doubt about it, this show can go in a lot of directions, unfortunately including the waste paper basket. Fox is poorly managed network. Now, was that the same ship’s bow that we’re familiar with from the tv series Lost? If it is, and Fox does the smart thing, then I think things might get pretty convoluted in season two.

50. Jrhjus says:

Even though this is a great show fox will probably cancel it prematurelly like they did with Chicago code.