Ratings: Homeland, Dexter Finales Deliver Highs

Whether you loved it or had issues with it, the first season finale of Homeland was a hit.

The highly charged episode drew 1.71 million viewers with its first showing Sunday at 10 pm, and 2.03 million total viewers for the night, making it Showtime’s highest-rated finale ever for a freshman series.

Homeland Season Finale Post-Mortem: Burning Questions Answered, Plus Scoop on Season 2

Homeland also delivered its series-best ratings to date, growing 58 percent from its debut (1.08 million viewers). The newbie drama is now the cable network’s highest-rated freshman series ever and its most watched-program after the long-running Dexter.

Dexter, meanwhile, didn’t do too shabby either earlier in the evening. The Season 6 finale garnered 2.23 million viewers at 9 pm and 2.71 million  for the night to deliver the show’s best ratings of the year. The episode was also Showtime’s most-watched telecast of the year.

1. mst3k says:

Go Dexter! That is all.

2. Ana Muller says:

I love that Dexter does so well! But it worries me that Showtime might try to overstay the show’s welcome to hang on to the high ratings… I really hope they stick with the plan of season 8 being the final season, and I say that as a huge Dexter fan.

3. Bad Breaker says:

I thought seasons 1-4 of Dexter were amazing…the last two, not so much. Please kick it into overdrive for the last two seasons.

Homeland, just keep on doin’ what you’re doin’. I’m a huge fan.

4. JMB says:

Homelamd is one of the best new shows this season! Dexter keeps the storyline fresh and the acting for both shows is superb. Keep it going Showtime–your dramatic programs are outstripping all competition.

5. Jo says:

How could anyone not like the Homeland finale? It was the most riveting 90 minutes of television I’ve ever seen.

6. Lisa says:

Who had issues with the Homeland finale? Abu Nazir’s people? That was a riveting and very well paced hour and a half of television. Damien Lewis was excellent

• Mico says:

That phone call scene between Dana and Brody might have just earned Damian Lewis his first GG and Emmy trophy. His facial expressions and gestures were just so raw there is no way his performance couldn’t have been any more believable. And I know it’s been said again and again, but might I just add that Claire Danes yet again owned her scenes, especially that one where she gets inside the car after talking to Brody. That was some genuine pain and heartbreak.

7. BL says:

I am a Hugh Dexter fan and I hope for the next two seasons we can see something as good as the shows first year and also see the great end the series deserves. As for.Homeland, I could never really get interested, It was too much of a family drama. Dexter all the way

8. s. says:

Two amazing finales, I loved them! I understand why some ppl had “issues” with Homelands finale but this is no “family drama”. Once Upon a Time is a fun-filled family drama. I can’t get enough of Dexter, so psyched there are two more seasons! Congrats Showtime!

9. Brigitte says:

I have always really enjoyed Dexter but feel that the formula has gotten stale.I hope by the revelations of the finale that there will be a change. And Jennifer Carpenter has been amazing this season!
    Homeland is extraordinary! Can;t wait to see what they are going to do with Season 2!!!!!

10. paul says:

I love Dexter & hope it will con’t for many more seasons MCH is awesome in the lead role & the supporting class is wonderful!

11. Janet says:

I LOVE Dexter, but paleeeze don’t let him have a romantic relationship with his sister, that would just be disgusting…ewww.

Both stars of homeland are excellent actors, Claire Danes is just so amazing her talent is beyond words.

12. Jonamite says:

I think it was a mistake allowing Deb to walk in on Dexter in the kill room. For the good of the show, she can’t know about him. And the idea of her falling in love with Dex is bazaar – no way!!! (What will the writers think of next) My predition is that Dexter imagined her walking in on him in a dream. After all he already set up the real kill room in the boat next to his at the dock. To have her walk in on him at the exact moment of the kill is just not plausible.
    As for Homeland, I thought it was a big success. If you could get past Carrie’s bug eye act she was great. I’m sorry to see all the coruption in the government. I can only hope it’s not quite that bad in real life. Would like to see Brodie end soon. His part is drawing out a little too long and we need some new blood….soon.

13. Jen says:

I loved the Dexter finale. I’m quite a bit creeped out by the Deb loves Dexter revelation, but I’m interested to see where it goes. There have been hints of that throughout the last five seasons, mainly in the way she goes to him for absolutely everything. I hope they stick to the eight seasons and cancel it after that. No series should go on and on and go out with a whimper rather than a bang.

I’m really interested to see where they take the Deb knows about Dex’s Dark Passenger. More than likely though, he’ll explain it as a one-off, that the bastard went after Harrison and that drove him nuts. She won’t turn him in though. Even if she didn’t love him ‘love him,’ he’s her brother and she’s loyal. The question is if she’ll know EVERYTHING or not. If so, will she help him? They are evil people who killed innocents etc. Talk about moral ambiguity.

I’m probably one of like 10 people that love love loved Season five and Julia Stiles’ guest appearances. It was a wonderfully riveting season, especially the way that Deb let them go at the end, knowing it was her, but not knowing it was Dexter behind that tarp. Awesome season. This season’s finale though….for me that was on par with Season 1’s. I didn’t see it coming at all. Deb finding out about Dex’s D/P? Holy crap!

14. EC Hall says:

Dexter is nothing but the Truth! I am addicted and want More! Jen Carpenter is a great actress, but her character has a fowl mouth. I really can’t believe season six finally. Awesome job!