Big Bang Theory Boss Reveals Plot of 100th Episode: 'It Is a Little Risky'

Call it the “The Moving Forward by Moving Backward Paradox.” For its 100th episode, The Big Bang Theory is revisiting Penny and Leonard’s thwarted romance — and the sitcom’s own origins.

“We’ve been watching over this year how in small ways the relationship was talking at them,” exec producer Chuck Lorre told TVLine Thursday night at a bash celebrating the milestone. “The friendship is going well, but then we throw in a moment where she was drunk and [said] she regretted breaking up with him. So, although it is a little risky, it felt like the right thing to do, to explore Leonard and Penny again in the 100th episode.

“It felt true to the characters,” he added, “that they would want to try again.”

Not only that, but it also felt true to the series itself. “When we wrote the 100th episode, we went back and watched the pilot,” explained exec producer Bill Prady, because “we wanted to circle back to the inciting incident for [everything], which is when Leonard, who has Sheldon  [pulling] him away from the world, meets Penny, who pulls him toward it. So, that’s what we set out to explore in the 100th episode.”

Is it safe to intuit from all this that Penny and Leonard do get back together? Yes, probably… and kinda-sorta. “That relationship isn’t done,” Prady confirmed, “but it’s also not easy. Penny and Leonard have a special connection, but they are going to have a hard time of it.”

So might viewers. “Not everything is quite as it seems,” teased Simon Helberg (Howard). “There are some twists and turns.” However, added Kunal Nayyar (Raj), the outing doesn’t have so many twists and turns that we’ll be thinking, “‘Why the heck is all of this happening? What show am I watching?’ It is not a gimmicky episode.”

“It’s a very weird way,” concluded Lorre, “that the episode plays out. I hope people like it.”

I have a sneaking suspicion we will. What do you think? And are you relieved/excited/nervous to see the show reunite Penny and Leonard? (Reporting by Carrie Bell)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Scoop

1. Ginger says:

Sorry, but I really think Penny and Sheldon belong together.

• Lauren says:

I agree with Ginger lol

• Rock Golf says:

bang, bang, bang
      Penny!
      bang, bang, bang
      Penny!
      bang, bang, bang
      Peeeeeeeeeeeenneeeeeeeeeey!

• Nadine says:

No no! Sheldon is emotionally void and without sexual needs, Penny would be very unhappy. I do enjoy their dynamic together though. I believe Raj is the best partner for Penny. I also think Penny and Leonard have unfinished business.

• Lisa says:

I SO agree, Nadine.

• Tyler says:

You seriously think the guy who can’t talk to women is the best match for penny? If they got together it would tear the whole series apart. Recall what happened when they slept together. Nothing good. Leonard is, and will always be penny’s match.

• Nadine says:

I didn’t like it either when Penny “slept” with Raj, and I agree it would be terrible for the series for them to get together now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up together at the end of the series. Of course Raj would have to be able to talk with Penny for that to happen. I also enjoy Penny and Leonard together. They’re all great characters played by very good actors.

• Captain says:

Putting Raj/Penny together would do for this series what putting Jackie/Fez together did for That 70s Show.

• G says:

* 100

Penny and Sheldon have so much damn chemistry that her times with Leonard seem ridiculously flat. In fact, as much as I love Amy and the added girl time, it seems to be at the expense of Penny and Sheldon, which is the entire reason I like the show.

• Mike says:

Sibling chemistry

• Luda says:

Agree. I keep saying the same thing. chemistry :) but… show creators do have to listen to the majority, so I’m not sure if they would want to bring those 2 together, maybe it is a bit too risky. As for Sheldon being “emotionally void and without sexual needs” :) okay… I think he’s not sure what his feels sometimes and that is consistent with the character’s personality :) didn’t really want to mention Asperger’s here, it probably was discussed 3000 times already (that producers didn’t want to diagnose him or whatever), but if you check out one of those places where Aspies hang out, I bet you you’ll find lots of Sheldons there with similar issues :)

• J says:

“chemistry” does not necessarily equal “romantic chemistry.” Penny and Sheldon do not belong together, they’d never work.

• Puckleberry says:

Yup, as weird as it may seem, I think Penny and Sheldon belong together! So hilariously and ridiculously delicious!

• Jon says:

How she is like his sister

• corey says:

i watched pretty much every single episode and i think Sheldon does good with Amy in my opinion! the only reason is because their actually starts becoming that relationship Sheldon becomes the boyfriend and Amy Fowler becomes the girlfriend if you watched season 5 episode 10 so i’m curious to see how that comes out.

• em says:

I may be in the minority here, but I don’t think any of them really belong with Penny. All of three mentioned here have a certain chemistry with her and I actually don’t have a problem with any couple, but in the end, I feel that they all are better as friends.

• Grace says:

No way. Three words: Amy Farrah Fowler.

…I mean for Penny of course, not Sheldon.

• Zarza. says:

Funny how the writers want to take the LP seriously, but they don’t take seriously the PA things that has been going on. Shoot me if those innuendos are not sexual or romantic. Amy has a big crush on Penny, but the writers choose THAT just for the laughs?

One would expect that them taking their show seriously, they would give equal development to every conflict presented, not take seriously whatever they want to take seriously.

Bad writing -__-

• tammy says:

The “crush” Amy has for Penny is not romantic. It is Amy wanting to be more like Penny. Amy admires Penny’s attributes and wishes she could be more like Penny. The dynamic comes off awkward because Amy’s character is romantically stunted. She never desired to have romantic relationships until becoming part of this group. If you remember when she was introduced, she only did that dating website because of a promise she made to her mother. Now that she has had an opportunity to see what relationships can bring, she is desperate to explore it. I love how the writers have gradually opened Amy’s character. Her exploration of interpersonal relationships are true to the awkwardness of her discovery of wanting more but not losing herself in the process.

• CJ says:

The Penny-Sheldon scenes are funny, and sometimes touching, but even a complete moron could see that the only reason Penny and Sheldon interact with each other is that they both care about Leonard.

• Jenny says:

I used to feel this way, but I really like Sheldon and Amy! I would like to see Sheldon really give that relationship a go! I just think it has to go slow so they don’t completely break his character.

• Ashley says:

I agree. Sheldon is great with Amy. She’s good with him because she’s like him in many ways but is more socially adept so is able to bring him out of his shell a bit without changing who he is. Sheldon can’t stay the same forever, all characters evolve, but it’s important for him maintain his core personality.

• john says:

i dont think they should get back together he should move on and find some one new she dumped him when he said he loved her

• John says:

Love the show, however please no more endings where loose ends are not tied up. Such as when Leonard and Sheldon ran from their apartment cuz of the bully, and same as when Sheldon stole the film and they ran down the street. Never leave us wondering what happened later when they quit running. Sheldon would agree saying that we were denied the finality of the episode.

• My God… Penny with Sheldon…eewwwww… I think I just threw up a little in my mouth… eewwww, I did.!!! Penny Should NEVER be with Sheldon… I wouldn’t wish Sheldon on Anyone.!!!

• Ceci says:

Sorry, but i think you are drunk…
      Seldon hates the way Penny is.. He says she talks with food into her mouth… He blocks the internet so she can´t steal it…
      Plus she is a girl full of love and with needs, and he wouldnt satisfy that ever.
      She likes men, she likes alcohol and parties. He is the king of nerds and hates all that.
      Its impossible they can love eachother.
      Leonard and Penny have a lot in common, they belong to eachother.

2. Blurbs says:

I don’t know why they keep going back to Leonard and Penny. I thought that was dealt and done with. Also what do they mean it “felt true to the characters”? Was there Leonard and Penny interaction expect for that episode where they went on that date? And that episode proved to me that these two do not work together in a relationship. Sorry, I thought this season was about geekery like it used to be. This should not be the Leonard and Penny show. They’re one of the most boring couples. As for Sheldon pulling Leonard away from the world, I don’t see that either. Maybe the writers should not only write, but also watch their show closely. If anything, Sheldon has been pulled into the outer world. Leonard is where he’s always been.

• TJ says:

Maybe you should watch the show more carefully. One, it’s hardly been the “Leonard and Penny show.” If anything, it’s “The Sheldon show,” which I’m honestly getting sick of. I’m glad they’re trying to pull more focus away from Sheldon, because the other characters need it.

And two, you’re wrong about Leonard and Sheldon. Sheldon is always pulling Leonard away from the outside world. That’s the basic concept of the show, if you’ve been watching at all. The whole point is that Leonard is trapped in that little world, but he wants to reach out and explore. The problem is that not only is he afraid, but Sheldon keeps pulling him back. Sheldon does not like change, he does not care for the outside world, he does not want to leave his own world.

• Blurbs says:

I never said it WAS the “Leonard and Penny Show”, I merely said it shouldn’t be. I fully agree that the other characters should be more in focus, not just Sheldon. Even though it seems like Amy gets most of that other screen time now; I hope there’s going to be more Howard and Raj.

And yes, I’ve been watching the show. I don’t care what the writers say, I comment on what I perceive. If you don’t see that we should agree to disagree, I’m fine with that. I see Leonard right where he was at the beginning of the show. In that, how you call it, little world. Sheldon doesn’t want to leave his world, but he’s pulled into the outside world, too.

• Zarza. says:

Sheldon doesn’t do any pulling. If Leonard decided to stay there it’s own his own volition. I don’t know what the writers mean about Sheldon doing any pulling, but it’s complete baseless regarding what happens in the show. Sheldon likes to stay in his own world but he does not manipulate or threaten or do any physical thing to keep Leonard in.

Like the writers said, Penny and Sheldon are both the extremes, forces that call attention, if Leonard stays where he is it is because he is too weak a character to do anything, not because someone is making him.

His own shunning towards the one who share his interests is clue enough, he wants to go out and even does that to his friends, do you think Sheldon is manipulating him into staying there?

• tammy says:

I think Sheldon does “pull” Leonard. I think he pulls the entire group, as made evident in the episode where everyone decided to have dinner at Raj’s apartment instead of the regular take out and gaming done at Leonard and Sheldon’s apartment. If you recall, at first they enjoyed being “Sheldon free” but after telling Pria why a TOAST is called a TOAST, everyone admitted they missed Sheldon. While everyone insists that Leonard is the nucleus of the group.. I still think it is Sheldon. His narcissistic, OCD, Germaphobic personality keeps order in his bizarre world, and everyone seems comfortable there because of it.

• malaba says:

Well maybe Sheldon IS pulling Leonard away from the world, but it’s up to Leonard to fix that himself. And he never does. Hence why I think he’s just a weak, boring character… (shrugs)

And that’s why the LeonardxPenny relationship sucks

3. Ann says:

Love Big Bang theory. I love all the characters. Hilarious show! It is well-written so I am looking forward to their 100th episode

4. lisa says:

They’re Ross and Rachel to a tee. Nerdy scientist guy goes after pretty popular girl, back and forth. Personally, I like them together and think Leonard deserves another shot with her. It’s hardly been about them or overdone. I like every show they do!

• Eileen says:

Agreed :)

Love Leonard + Penny

• Lauren says:

Honestly they seem WAY better together than Ross and Rachel. All R&R did was fight, even while they were together. Penny and Leonard seem to really respect and care about each other when they’re friends and when they’re in a relationship.

• CJ says:

Hear, hear! There’s a HUGE difference between Ross/Rachel and Leonard/Penny: Leonard is a likable, appealing (and cute as a button) character. Ross was pompous and annoying. I hated the end of Friends.

• Tia says:

I agree. One of my favorite scenes is from The Lunar Excitation where Penny yells at Leonard for ruining her future boyfriends. That “in the olden days [She] never would have known [the current boy] was so stupid.” and she says “You have destroyed my ability to tolerate idiots, now come with me.”

• Zarza. says:

And yet fighting between them was a million times more deep, engaging and charming that LP ever was. Especially because they had bacground as friends, and they fell out and they got on like friends. Leonard and Penny never did that, they started liking each other out of nowhere and their banter always managed to enhance their flaws to each other.

Leonard believed her stupid and Penny believed him insecure. I don’t know how that’s respect and care.

The writers said they just can’t be friends, but the fact is, the best relationships always start as friendship, and LP never gave themselves the time to be friends. They are delusional and wanting the other because of an idea they have of each other.

If the writers truly think the things they said for this interview, the they are as hell not showing or conveying the message in the show.

• Lolo says:

No background as friends… Liking each other out of no where? Do you even watch TBBT?

• Tammy says:

I could not disagree more about this. Leonard does not think Penny stupid. Just because she isn’t his intellectual equal doesn’t make her stupid. He is a genius for crying out loud. He would be hard pressed to find someone on the same level. He loved her, period. He may not have expressed himself correctly at times, but (lol) what man does? I also think Penny may have found Leonard naive and childlike, but sincere and attentive. He may have had a brilliant mind for academics, but romantically he was a little behind. It gave conflict and balance to their relationship.

5. Vukakup says:

i don’t like Leonard and Penny… in fact i don’t like Leonard at all.

6. Jones19 says:

I think they’ve sucked everything out of the Penny/Leonard romance they possibly can, everyone I know that watches the show are sick of them together.

• Ann says:

Really? Cause when I was at the taping for the 100th episode, a majority of the audience (including myself) was not afraid to express their love for Leonard/Penny, with a lot of “awwww’s” and “woooo’s” and cheers for the couple.

• Tee says:

People always make noise in those audiences. Look at how many people seem to laugh for the incredibly bad jokes on 2 Broke Girls.

7. Olivia says:

Heck. Yes.

So excited! I love Penny/Leonard!

8. Luz says:

I hate this couple. Leonard is the less funny of the TBBT cast. Penny deserve something better.

• Bill Cord says:

Agree with your assessment. Penny is too hot for a short nerd like Leonard. The early seasons when Leonard daydreamed about Penny while she dated studs and idiots made the show much better than when they are dating.

9. Templar says:

My favorite shows involve Penny and Leonard co-parenting Sheldon, but not really a couple. And Please get rid of Amy. I don’t mind Sheldon having a female friend, but Amy is creepy and disgusting.

• Greta says:

I totally agree and she looks SO OLD that Sheldon actually looks pretty when he’s sitting right next to her. I think they should explore the idea of having a smart but goofy funny pretty Zoey Deschanel type of actor playing her character in New Girl as Sheldon’s girlfriend or friend. That would provide a sort of balance to the personality types in the show. The love affairs should totally not be the focus of the show but the dynamics between the guys. The love angles should only be an occasional spice for spunk.

• Templar says:

Yes. The couples should be secondary to the 4 guys interaction. As for a suitable female for Sheldon, I’d accept a bookworm, but more like Daisey on Bones or Leslie Winkle, Leonard’s friend with benefits. Amy is overkill. Sheldon would have to have a grudge against himself to continue that friendship.

• Greta says:

Exactly. For me, she makes otherwise good scenes quite unbearable to watch. Others may like her character but I do not think that I can ever take a liking to her. I tried. Blech. They need to either totally rethink her character or just get rid of her.

• Nadine says:

I love Amy, she’s terrific!

10. PJM says:

Well, the big difference between this and Ross/Rachel, besides the fact Ross actually DATED in high school and was even married, is that their relationship stayed on the back burner for the most part. The only time they brought it up post-breakup is when 1) it affected Sheldon when they argued and 2) resolving Priya’s relationship with Leonard, which I admit her demanding he doesn’t see Penny was not one of BBT’s better moments. With Ross and Rachel, we went through 2 seasons of relationship angst (at the beach, the fighting, Rachel with Joshua, Ross with Emily, etc.

But I do agree if they put L/P back together, keep them that way. No more breakups. Let Howard/Bernadette or Sheldon/Amy have the wacky relationship.

11. Monica242 says:

Penny and Leonard are SO boring. I have no idea why they keep trying to make them work. They’re worse versions of themselves when they’re together.

• Lyn says:

I know that Penny as eye candy is an obligatory part of the sitcom. But I think SHE is the most boring part of the show. When they focus on her whiny shtick rather than the guys’ nerdy antics, it’s just not as original or fun.

12. Rae says:

If you think Penny and Sheldon belong together I honestly wonder if we are watching the same show.
    I love Sheldon and Penny, but their dynamic is perfect as they are- as friends.
    Penny and Leonard are a great combination.
    I don’t think they are meant to be together, but they make a heck of a lot more sense than Penny and Sheldon ever would.

• Yeah, no says:

Preach!There is no way in the context if the actual show that Penny and Sheldon would work romantically. Penny / Leonard is even pushing it. Sheldon/Amy work in a weird way.

• Catherine says:

I agree completely…I enjoy Amy/Sheldon scenes. But I just wish Amy would stop with the weird flirty crap with Penny. It’s just getting weird now.

13. littleville says:

When does it air?

14. Sasha says:

I dont know what show many of you are watching but Leonard is funny.

I love Sheldon to death but Leonard is THE central character without whom NONE of them would have met and become friends.

• Samantha F says:

good point Sasha – Leonard is who brought the whole gang together. While the focus has shifted around to other characters, it is important to recognize Leonard as the unifying figure in the show (as globe voters did yesterday!).

• Zarza. says:

Leonard was the reason of why they got to be friends, but honestly, if he disappeared I bet the bonding agent would be Penny and the show wouldn’t be affected, he has been so bland and douche-y this past two seasons.
        Penny hangs out with them all and considers them all friends. Unless the writers think that if Leonard is not there then Penny wouldn’t hang out with them, which would be a huge disappointment and an awful thing to do to her character. To isolate her character to be just about Leonard, and enhance this “soul-mate” thing by making Leonard be the only reason she hangs out with them. That would remind me too much of this Bella/Edward thing, where her character exists solely for him. They are doing that right now, Penny is not a character unless there is a Leonard subtext over there.

She is a lush, depressive version of the fiery, stubborn but kind blond she was before, if coupling her with Leonard makes her that way, then the writers can’t question why some people don’t like LP.

15. MJ says:

I love Penny and Leonard together. I hope it lasts this time. Can’t wait to see the show.

16. Pan says:

Honestly, Leonard and Penny do make a perfect couple. But it is a boring relationship. That doesn’t mean it’s not right. The show isn’t really about the romance. Having Leonard and Penny together won’t really change much.
    As for the Sheldon and Penny fans — Really??? I mean the characters have great comedic sparring matches, but there is zero romantic chemistry between them. I personally think there is far more comedic potential in Amy’s crush on Penny.
    Leonard and Penny are the normal people of the show, the comedy is not so much in how they relate to each other as to how they relate to the extreme personalities around them.

• John says:

Nice summary of how I also view them.

Love the show, the only one I have my TiVos set to record everything of, including all the syndications. Fresh every time I watch.

• Fer. says:

I agree with this somewhat, I consider LP to be absolutely boring and would be happy if they are together or not, but no more focus! Keep them together, marry them off if you like, but keep them in the background.

They are the most normal in their groups of friends, so they have no ground to clash against each other and be fun to watch. They are the foils that work best when bouncing off the most quirky, sparkly characters. And foil does not reflect foil. Even Ross and Rachel each had their unique quirks, and Leonard does too but he is so insecure and boring and jerkish when with Penny.

Hence why I see people liking Shenny, Sheldon has been too strong a character and some are finding him unbearable lately, and in sitcom terms Penny worked as a foil to him to lessen that brightness and ground him to be a character easy to digest.

17. Jill says:

Yes! Get Penny and Leonard back together. I love Leonard. And keep them together; no more back and forth, please!

18. Samantha F says:

I love Pennard (Penny-Leonard) as a couple and agree that they should leave them together for a while and let the other couples be wacky.

Pendon (Penny-Sheldon) makes NO sense whatsoever. The thought of it is just ridiculous.

19. David says:

Who cares? I’ll be watching 30 Rock.

20. darklady65 says:

oh the haters lol….we must really be watching a different show then anyways looking forward to the 100th ep :)

21. scooterbeanbag says:

womp womp. I’d much prefer Penny & Raj.

22. Moosemuffins says:

They are a better written version of Ross/Rachel. But, I agree that if L/P do get back together, that S/A or Howard and his girl should be the wacky couple on TBBT. I am not saying that they are boring but would act as the stable couple while others are having problems. And I totally disagree with Comment by Blurbs – December 16, 2011 07:19 AM PST. I guess everyone has there own ideas of what they are watching. I would love to read the background story on Blurbs, probably would read like Sheldom’s nerdy cousin.

• Blurbs says:

Better version of Ross/Rachel?

I guess everyone really has their own idea of what they are watching. At least those two had chemistry.

• Templar says:

Ross was, in his own way, as repellent as Amy.

• Fer. says:

Rachel getting his “Frank says relax” shirt when breaking up with him was more engaging and sweet than Penny getting that snowcope from Leonard ever was.

It’s all about timing, symmetry, and dialogue development.

The writers are trying to make LP the new version of RR, but honestly, that lost its appeal the moment they didn’t manage to make it better or original. LP feels oddly like the writers see themselves as Leonard getting the hot chick, and they haven’t done a convincing job of changing that premise.

23. dee says:

I’m really happy about this … Leonard and Penny are a great couple and i like that their personalities although unlike make them even more special, like ‘opposites attract’ or ’2 wrongs making a right’
    I agree that they are owed another chance, they are a really sweet couple…i can’t wait to see what their relationship has to bring :)

24. steve says:

oh god no please i beg you dont put them back together it nearly distroyed the show last time around imo.

25. leola says:

Agree! Exactly what I was going to say also.

26. Bella says:

I like the idea of Leonard and Penny being together eventually. Over the course of this show so far, their relationship, whether just as friends or as a couple, has changed both of them. Penny isn’t the air-headed party girl she used to be and Leonard isn’t the head in the clouds totally awkward nerd he used to be either. Leonard is the guy in the group who keeps all of them together. Sheldon wouldn’t be able to maintain any friendships; Howard is too self-involved; and Raj still can’t talk to women. Penny and Sheldon do have wonderful chemistry, but it’s the brother and sister kind, not the romantic kind. Penny and Sheldon squabble with each other but also support each other when needed, just like my brothers and I do. Just about all of the characters have demonstrated some personal growth on this show – now they need to work on Raj.

27. Greg Chenoweth says:

I like the idea of Leonard and Penny together again. Do we know when the 100th episode will air?

28. m says:

So glad 2 read Penny and Leonard are getting back 2 gether. I just watched the episode when Penny broke w hm and it was so sad. I hope they stay 2gether this time around. Sheldon and Penny?! Really?? Theres no way in hell. They r good as it is. Cnt wait 4 this episode

29. Marcy says:

Could be worse…..They could pair her up with Wolowitz!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

30. kara says:

UGH! I’m so over the L/P drama. Truth is Penny has more chemistry and is more entertaining with Sheldon. Couldn’t the 100 epi be a what if Sheldon/Penny got together?

L/P are NOT Ross and Rachel. Ross and Rachel were epic and hilarious while L/P are not.

31. Kristen says:

Definitely think Penny and Leonard deserve another shot. There are still feelings there on both sides, and I want them to be explored.

32. Brad says:

Good its about time, and yes they are like Ross and Rachel, awesome and hilarious together.

33. Little Scarf Girl says:

Obviously Penny and Leonard are going to get together eventually. It’s been the hook since the pilot episode. Granted I haven’t seen every episode of the series, but it felt kind of hollow when they broke up. They still essentially wanted to be together. I’d rather if they get back together, they stay together, and not more on-again-off-again stuff. And I like Amy and Bernadette, and think they add something to the show. Now we just need an outside friend for Raj (doesn’t have to be a girlfriend). He’s got the least amount of plot right now.

34. Justin says:

Sheldon and Penny together?! Seriously?!! What a load of crap?!! Any rational-thinking person should know that making those two into a couple would be ridiculous. Friends, yes, but not a couple. Leonard makes so much more sense than Sheldon or Raj its absolutely unprecedented. When Raj “supposedly” slept with Penny, everyone hated it! Leonard and Penny may look a little bland at times, but it’s the pairing that makes the most sense; and besides, every couple has bland moments. Its called reality!

• Judy. says:

If it was reality they would make Raj advance with his mute problem, they would address Amy and Penny seriously, not just for the laughs.

The writers, if they want to make a good show, cannot give development to whatever the hell they want, it’s their show and all but they can’t make fans not expect something better out of the it. It’s not fair they are giving LP all these speculation and leave everything else to be used when convenient. If you are going to make a show, and pretend it’s good, then at least you should give everything the seriousness you give to something.

Funny how I’ve known some Aspergers diagnosed people, who resemble Sheldon so much, and some of them are happily married to the real versions of Penny.

And extraordinary person married with “an average” person, and you call this reality “ridiculous” and crap? This is not objectivity talking, or even trying to be, this is you being offensive :/

• kate says:

I agree Justin Leonard and Penny. Sheldon is a no but wolowiz and Raj are even worse. I hope Penny and Sheldon get together they make a cute couple!

35. Gillian says:

I’ve already read the taping report, and I loved it! It’s extremely spoilery so I advise anyone else who’d like to take a look at it that you could be let in on more information than you’d like. In regard to people comparing L/P to R/R, yes, they do sound rather identical on paper but I personally believe Leonard and Penny’s relationship is far superior as opposed to Ross and Rachel’s. I like only about 5 episodes of ‘Friends’ tops, the show as a whole: Bleeeuuugghhhh. I love Penny and Sheldon’s friendship, just don’t understand the desire some people have to see them get together (that’s just me though, I’m not hating.) I never ever thought I’d want to see Sheldon develop romantic feelings for another let alone in a relationship but I adore him and Amy together, and I think they are just perfect (keeping in mind we have yet to really see them together past the point of initiating their relationship.) This season has been great so far and I know it will continue to be just as incredible.

36. Jim says:

This show is so cool. It is the only thing I DVR on a regular basis. Can’t wait for Penny and Leonard to get back together. They should be together

37. Alex says:

I really think that Sheldon and Penny are perfect the way they are… as friends. I just don’t see them together as a couple. I like that they’re bringing back Leonard and Penny, I missed their relationship. I know I’m in the minority as well but I do think they worked well together. I also think that out of the 4 Leonard was the best for Penny. Raj can’t even talk to women, Howard’s already engaged, Sheldon… I don’t even think I need to go there, Leonard is the the best for her in my opinion.

And when is this episode going to air? I need to mark it on my calendar.

38. M Welke says:

I am thrilled to see Penny and Leonard back together! You are right on! And I just said last night how much I love Amy. The only character I truely dislike and will rejoice at the passing is Raj’s sister. Yuck!!! Get her OUT!

39. Sarah Williams says:

I think Penny and Sheldon have a great relationship…as friends. They have learned how to take their completely opposite personalities, and work around each other. But as a romantic relationship, I can’t see it. She is outgoing, happy, doesn’t enjoy being talked down to. And she enjoys the bedroom. She can’t intellectually stimulate Sheldon, which he needs more than a roll in the hay.

Penny and Raj…uh, no. I can’t even begin to see that.

Penny and Leonard. Love it. He’s smart, and very intellectual, but so kind. And not overly socially awkward. And he really does bring out the best in her.

I have to say though, I want more Bernadette! Her character cracks me up! She is just the sweetest thing, but can get so angry and has a bit of that evil side to her. I about died when she was yelling at Raj! I really like her dynamic with Howard. He needs someone to kick him in the butt now and again.

• Ceci says:

I love the way you analyze the show, i think if one of the writters die, you can take its place lol

• Tammy says:

Penny and Raj … happened, and was never brought up again. Why? because banter takes 2 people talking and.. well Raj… has selective mutism.

Penny and Sheldon… should never happen! that would be too incestuous. They are like brother and sister..

Penny and Walowitz.. LOL only if they are looking to kill off his character. One night with Penny would set off his arrhythmia causing a fatal heart attack.

Penny and Captain Sweatpants… (i’m just being silly)

Penny and Amy.. not going to happen. Amy would realize she is only “crushing” on the attributes of Penny. She is not a Lesbian. Penny has a better shot at getting Pria in bed.

I was wondering if anyone was curious where the writers were going to take the latent homosexuality between Raj and Howard?

40. Ceci says:

Leonard and Penny belong together. Penny and Sheldon!? Is that a joke?? She is so sensitive, dinamic, lovely, she loves sex and human relationships. He is so analytic, rational, and not interested in sex or love. Amy is a lovely kind and smart person and Sheldon likes her. I think they should be togheter, i d love to see that

41. magdil says:

No i want to see more action between shaldon and amy! They r the new penny and leonard….

• stevie says:

True dat.

• Ashley says:

I agree.

I have nothing against Penny/Leonard, but the episodes in Season 3 that focused on their relationship were the least funny ones out of all of them. Leonard and Penny are the two “normal” characters and therefore IMO are the most boring when they interact. I think they are more interesting when they are apart and interacting with the rest of the grouple. Amy/Sheldon is hilarious because it’s so weird and unconventional, unlike Penny/Leonard.

I would reather Penny and Leonard stay apart and get together in the last seaosn so we don’t have the show too focused on their relationship drama which will only bring it down. Amy/Sheldon will never be like Leonard/Penny so there’s no danger of that happening with them.

42. Christobel says:

Leonard and Penny are far more interesting as former familair lovers. Sheldon and Amy Farrah Fowler are too interesting with their flint-like attraction not to revisit.

• Ashley says:

Completely agree. Leonard and Penny become boring and too focused on each other when they are together. It’s their interactions together with the rest of the group or solo with certain characters from the group that make the show. When they were together in Season 3 Penny had far fewer storylines separate from Leonard which took away a lot of the humor.

Sheldon/amy is the best thing that’s happened to this show IMO. I also love the Sheldon/Penny friendship centered episodes which is another reason why I prefer Leonard and Penny apart.

43. Blah says:

This is not risky in the least.

44. I guess I am in the minority here, but:
    1) I hate the Sheldon character and don’t understand why anyone willingly spends time with him.
    2) It was a classic writer’s mistake to break-up Leonard and Penny. For some reason, there is a belief that main characters (leads) cannot find happiness in a relationship with one another. The show was better when Penny had a reason to be emotionally invested in the group, something that is largely lacking in her role as neighbor/friend.
    3) Chuck Lorre shows tend to dislike the characters in them (see Dharma & Greg, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory). It is the characters — and not the situations in which they find themselves — at which the audience is asked to laugh. I have little faith the Lorre will let good things happen for or to his characters.

45. erica says:

Here’s my thought…Penny says something very “science-y” and Sheldon has “strange feelings/thoughts ” that he can’t dissect and figure out in a logical Sheldonesque way..Penny and Sheldon scenes are pure magic.

46. Team BBT says:

I love this show and know it won’t disappoint with episode 100. I like Penny and Leonard fine together and always assumed eventually they’d end up together. I love when they have Sheldon and Penny interact, the opposites thing works great, but I feel it would be untrue to his character to be with Penny. If anyone is with him, I think Amy Farrah Fowler is good. I have enjoyed their weird “romance,” if that’s what you can call it, this season a great deal.

47. Loveisforever says:

Yes, I am so happy that they are revisiting PL I love them together. I might love their post-break up episodes but they were a great couple and I can’t wait to see what happens. This is going to be a great episode.

48. lucia says:

Penny and Sheldon have waaaaay more chemistry than Penny and Leonard, sorry.

49. Lisa says:

While I know the writers themselves have stated that Sheldon/Penny will never happen, I still ship them. But really, what’s the big deal if some people ship SP and others ship LP? When it comes down to it, we all love the show.

50. Sarah says:

How anyone could think that Sheldon and Penny have chemistry and are right for each other as a couple really freaks me out. Are people very young on this site?

I hated Ross and Rachel in Friends, so I’m not too happy about the comparison. Having watched every episode, Penny and Leonard belong together. Leonard is the straight man, who has been made less nerdy by Penny, and Penny has become less of a ‘blonde bimbo’ type from her relationship with Leonard. They make sense to me. And if you watch regularly, it is obvious there is unfinished business between them. Can’t wait.

• Fer. says:

Whether Sheldon and Penny belong together or not you can’t deny that people like their scenes and it’s general principle to say it’s because they enjoy each other and have great chemistry (the actors).

And it’s awful to isolate Penny from everything she is and describe her as something that was influenced by Leonard, rather than what she is as herself.

Her most prominent growth was in season two, where she was kind, stubborn, fiery and sweet to all her friends. In season three she was just the girlfriend who was so pretty but a ditz.