Ratings: Barbara Walters' List Proves Much Less Fascinating, CSI Surges

Barbara Walters’ presentation of this year’s Most Fascinating People proved to be about a third less fascinating than the 2010 crop, at least based on ratings.

Averaging 8.34 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating over its 90-minute run, the ABC special was down a full 30 percent versus a year ago. (For those put off by the Kardashianness of it all, you may wish to know that the late Steve Jobs rightfully nabbed the No. 1 spot.)

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

* The penultimate episode of Survivor: South Pacific (10.7 mil/3.1) dipped a few percentage points week-to-week, matching its season low.

* The X Factor‘s Top 4 performance show (10.7 mil/3.3) was pretty much flat. I Hate My Teenage Daughter (5.3 mil/1.9) dropped another 10 percent in the demo.

* Of the CBS procedurals, Criminal Minds held steady at 12.7 mil/3.4 (and was the night’s most-watched program), while CSI (12.1 mil/3.0) gained 9 and 18 percent, respectively, to cop its best demo rating since Week 2 and its biggest audience since the season opener.

1. Jules says:

Proof that nobody cares anymore & mrs.walters retire herself+her stupid list for good…

2. kevin says:

Teenage Daughter still boring and Fox better cancel it during next week’s “winter finale”.

3. Dee says:

It’s weird that I actually had NO interest whatsoever in this years list of people.

I guess a lot of other people felt the same way.

Although, gotta say that in no way, shape or form are any of those people pictured at the top fascinating or even midly interesting, at all.

4. Templar says:

Barbara Walters is as irrelevant as the rest of the ladies on the View. And her list carries no more weight than yours or mine.

5. Saint Alicia says:

Yay for Criminal Minds, but their eps have become more and more like your average cop drama. Most of the case-solving is just basic detective work now, nothing unique to profiling. :(
    And Beth seems… interesting. Doesn’t ask Hotch’s name just comes out with “I’ve seen you around–here’s my card.”
    Oh well, she probably didn’t inquire because she already knew it from her “investigative activities”…

6. Kaiulani says:

I watched the 10 MFP and it was boooooring! Derek Jeter, The Kardashians, Herman Cain, Donald Trump and a dead guy as #1? Who cares?!? The only one I would have like to have heard from was Pippa and they didn’t even talk to her! Only talked about how great her ass was in the bridemaid’s dress. This annual event needs to be canceled.

7. ceebee says:

Sadly – I think it would be good of Ms. Walters to retire…evidently the public is tired of her and these Stupid lists……

• louise says:

I agree that Walters should retire. Has anyone else ever noticed how excited Barbara gets when the subject is about sex?

8. Doug-H says:

Great episode of CSI looking into the homelife of our good Doc Robbins.. Glad his homelife ended up to be in order!!! Some of the remarks by Hodges should be dealt with I hope… At least Brass came by and said he was sorry…

With no REVENGE, CSI got watched live tonight!!! Probably help ratings a bit…

9. topsyturvy says:

Why was Gabby Giffords not on the list. She was certainly more “fascinating” that Trump, Cowell or the Kardashians. (Could it be because Giffords was interviewed by Diane Sawyer a few weeks ago and Barbara is miffed for not getting the get?)

Adele.

Melissa McCarthy.

The Harry Potter kids.

10. Guga says:

Nothing fascinating about the K family. Myself as I am sure many viewers switched to othe station when the Talentless K appear on the screen. Absolutely dissaponting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on ABC , the “family Oriented” station for allowing air time to a family that would do anything for fame and family… anything!

11. Jessica says:

I can’t believe she included the Kardashians as one of the most fascinating. It just goes to show that even supposedly respectable journalists cash out. I’m so sick of the Kardashians and their reality TV crap. Who makes a career out of being in the press?! Ridiculous! And Barbara bought into it. Get a real job and go away! At least Trump has a real job even if he is full of himself and loves to see himself in the media too. He’s intelligent and successful in his own right, as are his kids. But the Kardashians?! I lost respect there for Barbara even including them.

12. lauren says:

As if it wasn’t painful enough to watch the K’s on this list, it was even more painful to watch Barbara defend her decision to have them. Her desperate pleas that the family actually is interesting were ridiculous and revolting. I’ve had enough of them, YES I get that I’m talking about them now so they are still getting press, but I just have to state my opinion that I hate them and wish they would go away! haha

13. Michael says:

I wonder if she’d gone for more truly fascinating people rather than people she/her producers thought would garner decent ratings if she would have gotten higher ratings?

14. Steph says:

Are you paying attention CSI writers?! A good Greg Sanders episode brings in the ratings! #wewantmore

15. MAE FISH says:

SHE (BARBARA) WENT STRAIGHT TO THE TOILET WITH THE “KARTRASHIANS” SHE WAS HEADING THERE AND REMAINS TO BE STAYING ON THAT GREED TRACK FOR RATINGS=MONEY=RATINGS=MONEY… HOWEVER!!!!! AFTER PUTTING THE MOST “HATED” LAWYER BOZO “JOSE” ON THE VIEW AND PIMPING HER ASS TO HIM FOR THAT SO CALLED “BIG” INTERVIEW WITH THE BABY KILLER CASEY ANTHONY, WASN”T BAD ENOUGH!!!! SHE STOOPS EVEN LOWER WITH THE MOST HATED TRASH FAMILY!!!!! TIME TO GO AWAY BARBARA JUST GO!!!!!!!!!! BIRDS OF A FEATHER!!!!!!