Golden Globe Nods: My Snappy Judgments

The 2011 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Laura Dern!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (Boss over Breaking Bad?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The best comedy nod for HBO’s underrated Enlightened and leading lady Laura Dern.
* Revenge‘s wicked-good Madeline Stowe up for best drama series actress.
* All the Downton Abbey love, including nods for Elizabeth McGovern, Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville.
* Homeland snagging nods for best drama series, actress (Claire Danes) and actor (Damian Lewis).
* Mireille Enos sneaking in for The Killing
* Johnny Galecki snagging a lead actor nod for The Big Bang Theory.
* Zooey Deschanel’ nod for New Girl.
* Jessica Lange for American Horror Story.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* David Duchovny over Joel McHale?
* Jeremy Irons for The Borgias? Zzzzz…..
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough.
* Callie Thorne for Necessary Roughness? Love her, but one of the top five dramatic female performances of the year? Better than Katey Sagal? No.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for Community.
* No love for Cougar Town.
* No love for Parks and Recreation (although Amy Poehler managed to squeak in.)
Happy Endings getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy getting screwed.
 Ditto the rest of the fantastic ensemble.
* No best drama series nod for Breaking Bad? Or The Good Wife? Or The Walking Dead? Or Justified? Not even Margo Martindale?!

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Golden Globes, News

1. Captain says:

SO SO EXCITED about the American Horror Story love. If Jessica Lange doesn’t win it will be a travesty. However, I’m torn about Madeline Stowe. On one hand, I’m very happy Revenge is getting any recognition at all and I know in my brain that Madeline has the juicier role and probably gives the superior performance but (and maybe this has something to do with my extreme love of her as a person) I really feel like Emily deserved some recognition as well. This role was such a stretch for her as she’s usually playing such sweet, unassuming girl-next-door characters and she honestly scares me in this show. I find her almost more intimidating because we really don’t know what she’s capable of and exactly how far she’s willing to do.

2. Ashley says:

Seriously upsets me that Castle didn’t get a single nomination. With the cast’s work last season along with this season so far it’s been amazing. Every week they bring it and it’s just disappointing that they get zero credit at all.

3. peter says:

GIANCARLO ESPOSITO!!!

4. Jackson says:

why Lea Michele and the walking dead are not nominated?? i am so sad

5. Jon says:

Community fans award wins might not be enough to save the show, look at AD. So no reason to get upset over this.

6. Paul says:

Where was The Good Wife, Damages, & Hot in Cleveland?

7. Amber says:

I have a hard time getting excited over the Golden Globes after last year’s nominees like The Tourist, Burlesque, and Piper Peraboo. And now with this year, with the snub of Community at a time when that great, high-quality show could really use the accolades to give it a boost, I say the Golden Globes are dead to me. I won’t be watching. I hope Ricky Gervais tears them a new one in his hosting duties this year.

8. Nick says:

Don’t really care that The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad didn’t get any thing, cause the Walking Dead has gone seriously down hill, still haven’t even watched the fall finale. And Breaking BAd is a garbage show for junkies.

9. Nick says:

And what is with the need for everyone to abbreviate everything, can you just not type or spell? I always laugh when I come to these boards and see all that crap. You got sit here for five minutes trying to guess what people are even talking about.

10. June says:

I can`t believe this!

What about Castle? And The Mentalist? ANYONE who has seen the Mentalist Season 3 Finale will probably agree that Simon Baker`s performance definitely deserves a Globe!

There are TONS of great shows that are not on this list and I do not understand why! You guys already mentioned some of the others, so I thought I`d contribute the two mentioned above.

At least no one was stupid enough to nomminate “House” which would have seriously pissed me off.

11. Kiki says:

It’s great you all want to support your favorite shows but as most of you live in the US you are missing the point. The Hollywood FOREIGN Press Association is a group of journalists from other countries who are based in Hollywood, but write about what people in their home countries want to know about Hollywood. If your favorite show is not popular in their countries or it may not even be on TV there, this group is not going to give it an award. Plus, there are less than 100 active members of the HFPA. You can find the list, along with their home countries, on their website, so it’s very easy for some show or actor to become an early favorite. I counted last night and New Girl airs in almost 30 of HFPA members’ home countries. That’s a big number for an association that small.