Golden Globe Nods: My Snappy Judgments

The 2011 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Laura Dern!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (Boss over Breaking Bad?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The best comedy nod for HBO’s underrated Enlightened and leading lady Laura Dern.
* Revenge‘s wicked-good Madeline Stowe up for best drama series actress.
* All the Downton Abbey love, including nods for Elizabeth McGovern, Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville.
* Homeland snagging nods for best drama series, actress (Claire Danes) and actor (Damian Lewis).
* Mireille Enos sneaking in for The Killing
* Johnny Galecki snagging a lead actor nod for The Big Bang Theory.
* Zooey Deschanel’ nod for New Girl.
* Jessica Lange for American Horror Story.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* David Duchovny over Joel McHale?
* Jeremy Irons for The Borgias? Zzzzz…..
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough.
* Callie Thorne for Necessary Roughness? Love her, but one of the top five dramatic female performances of the year? Better than Katey Sagal? No.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for Community.
* No love for Cougar Town.
* No love for Parks and Recreation (although Amy Poehler managed to squeak in.)
Happy Endings getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy getting screwed.
 Ditto the rest of the fantastic ensemble.
* No best drama series nod for Breaking Bad? Or The Good Wife? Or The Walking Dead? Or Justified? Not even Margo Martindale?!

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Golden Globes, News

1. Kiki says:

What ticks me off every year is how everyone seems to forget these awards are voted on by FOREIGN press members. While many are posted in Hollywood, is Sons of Anarchy for example even broadcast in their home countries?

• Jess says:

Exactly. As much as I love Happy Ending etc. (listed by Ausiello above), are those shows big overseas? Not sure what the situation is…

• ana says:

I live in Brazil, and Community airs here. There’s no excuse for it being snubbed, especially when Glee got nominated yet again, being the crappy show it is.

• Dark says:

You want to know what’s big in Brazil? Two and a Half Men (blleeargh) and The Big Bang Theory. Also, House and probably Grey’s Anatomy. Not a country to be taken seriously.

2. cb says:

Happy for the Jessica Lange nod, but no Taissa Farmiga? Her performances have been heartwrenching on AHS.

3. 5minutes says:

Where’s Game of Thrones?

4. Kevin says:

No GG love for Fiona Shaw for playing Marnie the villain on True Blood. Come to think of it, awards shows never recognize any TB actors playing villains and they are always awesome – Maryanne (Michelle Forbes) or Russell Edginton (Denis O’Hare).

5. adam says:

how about the snub for emmy-winner melissa mccarthy?

6. Glenn says:

Breaking Bad is the best series on TV and no nod for best drama? Hope that Bryan Cranston wins and gives that foreign press the business in his acceptance speech!

7. Liz says:

Where is SOA? Fringe? The Walking Dead?

I am happy for AHS and the New Girl. Easily the best two new shows this year.

John Noble ROBBED again.

8. Denise says:

You forgot Castle. Seriously, Stana deserves an award, especially after Kill Shot.

• Lucas says:

Hahaha, no. Castle is such a lighthearted drama. Look, I love Castle and Stana was seriously amazing, but not award-worthy at all compared to the ladies we see on cable TV.

9. Jess says:

Super happy about: Game of Thrones!!! Parks & Rec and Revenge in best actress categories! Dowton Abbey love!
    Confused about: New Girls noms… No Jim Parsons!?… Necessary Roughness?!? what?
    Pissed about: GLEE!!!! I still watch the show yes. But it is SOOOooo much worse than the first season. I swear voters just went by name recognition. I bet it’s going to win again too. TOTALLY DOES NOT deserve it! As a musical theater appreciator, I was hoping not getting nominated (or winning) will wake up the writers and make the show better, but I’m sure “gleeks” will still call me a hater. Just like Republicans call liberals “unpatriotic.”

10. Karen says:

The Office??!!
    John Noble??!!
    Fringe??!!
    The Good Wife??!!

But so happy about Joseph Gordon-Levitt (I know it’s for a movie, but still!), Johnny Galecki and New Girl.
    And what’s up with a lot of the Emmy winners this year not even being nominated (how did Ty Burrell not get nominated?!)

11. Jen says:

AGREE!!! Big Time with all your snappy judgements. So sad about the major SOA snub and just can’t stand the everything but the kitchen sink supporting category! Just plain lazy FPA!

12. Karen says:

Oh, and Alan Cumming?! What’s p with that!?

• godzilla_foil says:

Alan Cumming is by far the worst part of The Good Wife. He can’t act the part, too gay to play a straight man. I’m not bashing gay people, just stating Cumming is not at all good.

13. andrea says:

I really love New Girl, it’s my favorite new show so I’m happy it got nominated. I also think that Zooey Deschanel is a great actress, that being said it probably isn’t that challenging to play an exaggerated version of herself, which is what she’s doing.

14. LaurenMC says:

Breaking Bad and Aaron Paul being snubbed is downright criminal! Parenthood and HIMYM were also snubbed, though that is not as surprising. Parenthood in particular never gets any love from any awards programs despite being one of the best written and acted series on broadcast television. I am excited for Homeland though!

15. FernLaPlante says:

I agree with most of what you wrote except that The Walking Dead was boring this past season and Community is unfunny.

16. sarah says:

I am very happy for Callie Thorne! Necessary Roughness is a great show!
    I am surprised that Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell are not nominated.
    So happy for Ryan Gosling even though we all know Leonardo will win for Drama actor.
    Hope Rooney Mara wins, such Buzz about her
    Hope Michelle Williams wins
    I was surprised at some TV drama nominees
    To be the shockers were no Dexter and no Michael C Hall, whom I think is fantastic.
    Also no Melissa McCarthy

17. Linda says:

New Girl and Glee over Parks and Rec? The Golden Globes suck! I love that Amy Poehler got included. But Glee isn’t funny, and although I laugh sometimes at New Girl Parks and Rec is a much better show. In the words of Ron Swanson: “Awards are stupid, but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people”

• Kiki says:

The awards are not based on what Americans like or what’s popular in the US. There are 90 active members of the HFPA. New Girl airs in 29 of their home countries. You do the math.

18. Marty says:

Homeland and American Horror Story deserve every nomination!

19. marti says:

Sons od Anarchy the best drama show ever.
    Katey Sagal the best drama actress ever.

20. Jan says:

I can understand why Dexter wasn’t on the list (seems to be suffering creatively since season 4), but Michael C. Hall still deserves a nomination for his amazing work. I would venture to guess that he’s the only reason a lot of people still watch the show.

21. Dont Understand says:

Look I love AHS as much as the next guy but how does this show get a best drama nominee and Breaking Bad and SOA don’t?!

Also how can a show be nominated for any award when the friggin season hasn’t even aired yet? Just stupid.

Agree on New Girl.. This show is awful and that lead girl is annoying and has a funny looking face.

22. Steve T says:

For me the biggest snub was Emilia Clarke for GOT. She got more amazing each week.

23. Tee says:

Can’t say I’m surprised by the SOA snub since it’s more of a surprise when they actually get the kudos they deserve, but more unfortunate this time around. They did an amazing job this season.

24. Liz says:

No True Blood???
    No love for the Bones actors???

25. Nan says:

Glee, New Girl, Matt LeBlanc? Seriously? God those are frustrating
    Where is Community, Stana Katic or Sons of Anarchy

I am happy about Downtown Abbey, American Horror Story and Homeland

But New Girl, seriously?

26. Stephanie says:

WHAT. THE. HELL?
    How is it possible that Community got COMPLETELY ignored? What does that show have to do to get some recognition? This is ridiculous.

• Kiki says:

Community does not air in enough of the HFPA members’ home countries for it to garner enough votes from the 90 active members.

27. MBii says:

Yeah New Girl getting nominated over Happy Endings & Community (the two funniest shows this season) is bullcrap. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised since they’re both kinda under-the-rader shows that are ignored by the masses and only appreciated by people with good taste. At least Parks & Rec got a few noms.

28. Sammi says:

Ok I hope Im not alone in being more than a little upset that Castle’s Stana Katic got snubbed this year, especically after her amazing performance in ‘Kill Shot’. I get that the show gets over looked because it’s a dramady but still.

29. Jules says:

A bit weird to don’t see Hugh Laurie & micheal c hall on the best actor list this year!!(even if they both win in the past..)
    And that Walking the Dead been left out, SAD!
    But honestly, I’m not sure I’m interest enough to spend/waist 3hrs to watch it

30. Pam says:

I really like Necessary Roughness but it was not award winning work for anyone involved.

31. Kimberly says:

Still no love for Psych. Sad.

32. Tater says:

CHUCK and Community are robbed again….I will never know how Adam Baldwin and the rest of the cast can continue to get under-rated so much. Sometimes I wonder if the people who choose the shows that gets the “nods” even watch these shows themselves or if they just stick all the shows in that gets all the over-rated media hype.

33. A says:

I literally think they just forgot about Dexter. I’m basically kind of appalled by some of the crap on this list but Dexter didn’t even get a nomination. I’m used to it never winning things, but it’s a staple on this list, and instead the list is full of crap.

And honestly, I like New Girl, but I don’t think it deserves any awards unless there’s a category somewhere for “shows that are pretty adorable.”

I just think this list was made by people who don’t watch TV. These are probably people who tune into Two and a Half Men and think it’s the greatest.

34. Noya says:

how is it that there was no love for jim parsons or happy endings???

35. haren says:

BREAKING BAD- ROBBED. GIANCARLO ESPOSITO- ROBBED. AARON PAUL- ROBBED. THE CAST OF BB- ROBBED. REVENGE- ROBBED. THE CAST OF REVENGE- ROBBED. SONS OF ANARCHY- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED. THE CAST OF SOA- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED. KATY SAGAL & MAGGIE SIFF- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED. WTF. I AM SO PISSED.

36. haren says:

ALSO, BRYAN CRANSTON- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED.

37. Rolfe says:

What about One Tree Hill?

38. Ronnie says:

Where was the nomination for Fiona Shaw for True blood in the supporting category? Major Omission!!

39. Yvonne says:

No Community? Seriously?

40. T says:

So Agree! with you about the snub! I mean Callie Thorne?? Really!! What about Dana Delany “Body of Proof”,Lena Headey or Jennifer Ehle “Game of Throne”, or even Sally Field “Brothers & Sisters for one last time?

And Don’t even get me start on Sean Bean “Game of Throne” >_<

41. Lisa says:

I’m very pissed about nothing for Justified and Timothy Olyphant. In addition, what about The Big C and Laura Linney? What about Bored to Death?

• Kiki says:

The nominating body is the Hollywood FOREIGN Press Association. I can’t find any indication Justified airs anywhere other the US at the moment. If it’s not on the air in their home countries, very little chance an HFPA member is going to throw a vote that way.

42. Lani says:

I used to be a super Gleek, but Glee has not been good since the middle of season 2 and Season 1 was it’s only true good season!! I don’t even watch it anymore. there are so many great shows and actors/actresses who deserved noms!!!

43. Eliza says:

Must be repeated:

Everything about Community and Parks&Rec >>>> New Girl and Glee.

Hands down, Community and Parks have some of the most talented, hilarious people on TV!!!

44. Elizabeth says:

The Golden Globes are starting to pan out like all of Major League Baseball’s so-called honors: no thought involved, just aiming for popularity and the obscure to make it seem like the writers (in the case of the MLB) know what’s going on somewhere other than NY, Boston, and the Flavor of the Week in the NL.

45. CJ says:

WHERE IS THE LOVE FOR SOUTHLAND?!?!?!?! Especially Regina King, who has been deserving of a nomination for the past three years. Snubbed, again.

46. Roma says:

The TV categories SUCK! Big time! Then again, when have ever the Globes been nice to TV? NEVER.

Where’s The Good Wife? Breaking bad? The Walking Dead? Sons of Anarchy? Community? Parks And Recreation? I could go on and on… and Glee? For real?

47. Kelly says:

If New Girl is really one of the best 5 comedies I think that says a lot (and nothing good) about the state of American comedy. As does the nomination of Glee in comedy.

Breaking Bad had an amazing season. It should be nommed along with Aaron Paul.

I’m absolutely rooting for Homeland, Claire Danes, and Damian Lewis. After this past week’s episode, Danes should have it locked up.

48. Melinda Granieri says:

My Week with Marilyn nominated as Best Comedy? Did I miss something?

49. godzilla_foil says:

I guess I agree with just about every gripe reported so far. Mostly, Glee and New Girl are just too unbelievably weak to be considered in any regard, while Community, P&R, even Suburgatory are better shows than those.

Let me add a new one: Sofia Vergara for best actress. I mean, she is one of the hottest women on Earth. She’s funny and fits the role. But a nomination for her abilities in ACTING?? Has everybody gone nuts??

50. eric murphy says:

Community not getting any love from the HFP was no surprise, but a nomination would have been good for the momentum of the show during its forced hiatus. Maybe NBC never even bothered submitting the show at all.