Golden Globe Nods: My Snappy Judgments

Get More: Awards, Golden Globes, News

The 2011 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Laura Dern!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (Boss over Breaking Bad?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The best comedy nod for HBO’s underrated Enlightened and leading lady Laura Dern.
* Revenge‘s wicked-good Madeline Stowe up for best drama series actress.
* All the Downton Abbey love, including nods for Elizabeth McGovern, Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville.
* Homeland snagging nods for best drama series, actress (Claire Danes) and actor (Damian Lewis).
* Mireille Enos sneaking in for The Killing
* Johnny Galecki snagging a lead actor nod for The Big Bang Theory.
* Zooey Deschanel’ nod for New Girl.
* Jessica Lange for American Horror Story.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* David Duchovny over Joel McHale?
* Jeremy Irons for The Borgias? Zzzzz…..
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough.
* Callie Thorne for Necessary Roughness? Love her, but one of the top five dramatic female performances of the year? Better than Katey Sagal? No.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for Community.
* No love for Cougar Town.
* No love for Parks and Recreation (although Amy Poehler managed to squeak in.)
Happy Endings getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy getting screwed.
 Ditto the rest of the fantastic ensemble.
* No best drama series nod for Breaking Bad? Or The Good Wife? Or The Walking Dead? Or Justified? Not even Margo Martindale?!

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

Comments (209)

• What ticks me off every year is how everyone seems to forget these awards are voted on by FOREIGN press members. While many are posted in Hollywood, is Sons of Anarchy for example even broadcast in their home countries?

Comment by Kiki – December 15, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. As much as I love Happy Ending etc. (listed by Ausiello above), are those shows big overseas? Not sure what the situation is…

Comment by Jess – December 15, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I live in Brazil, and Community airs here. There’s no excuse for it being snubbed, especially when Glee got nominated yet again, being the crappy show it is.

Comment by ana – December 15, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You want to know what’s big in Brazil? Two and a Half Men (blleeargh) and The Big Bang Theory. Also, House and probably Grey’s Anatomy. Not a country to be taken seriously.

Comment by Dark – December 15, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for the Jessica Lange nod, but no Taissa Farmiga? Her performances have been heartwrenching on AHS.

Comment by cb – December 15, 2011 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Game of Thrones?

Comment by 5minutes – December 15, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Game of Thrones got nominated for Best Drama Series, and Peter Dinklage got a Best Supporting Actor nom. Hooray!

Comment by Jess – December 15, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah… there it is. I was looking under “Comedy” (sheepish grin).

Comment by 5minutes – December 15, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No GG love for Fiona Shaw for playing Marnie the villain on True Blood. Come to think of it, awards shows never recognize any TB actors playing villains and they are always awesome – Maryanne (Michelle Forbes) or Russell Edginton (Denis O’Hare).

Comment by Kevin – December 15, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Name three countries repped by the HFPA in which True Blood airs. These awards are not based on what Americans like.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how about the snub for emmy-winner melissa mccarthy?

Comment by adam – December 15, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad is the best series on TV and no nod for best drama? Hope that Bryan Cranston wins and gives that foreign press the business in his acceptance speech!

Comment by Glenn – December 15, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is SOA? Fringe? The Walking Dead?

I am happy for AHS and the New Girl. Easily the best two new shows this year.

John Noble ROBBED again.

Comment by Liz – December 15, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot Castle. Seriously, Stana deserves an award, especially after Kill Shot.

Comment by Denise – December 15, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha, no. Castle is such a lighthearted drama. Look, I love Castle and Stana was seriously amazing, but not award-worthy at all compared to the ladies we see on cable TV.

Comment by Lucas – December 15, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super happy about: Game of Thrones!!! Parks & Rec and Revenge in best actress categories! Dowton Abbey love!
    Confused about: New Girls noms… No Jim Parsons!?… Necessary Roughness?!? what?
    Pissed about: GLEE!!!! I still watch the show yes. But it is SOOOooo much worse than the first season. I swear voters just went by name recognition. I bet it’s going to win again too. TOTALLY DOES NOT deserve it! As a musical theater appreciator, I was hoping not getting nominated (or winning) will wake up the writers and make the show better, but I’m sure “gleeks” will still call me a hater. Just like Republicans call liberals “unpatriotic.”

Comment by Jess – December 15, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office??!!
    John Noble??!!
    Fringe??!!
    The Good Wife??!!

But so happy about Joseph Gordon-Levitt (I know it’s for a movie, but still!), Johnny Galecki and New Girl.
    And what’s up with a lot of the Emmy winners this year not even being nominated (how did Ty Burrell not get nominated?!)

Comment by Karen – December 15, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AGREE!!! Big Time with all your snappy judgements. So sad about the major SOA snub and just can’t stand the everything but the kitchen sink supporting category! Just plain lazy FPA!

Comment by Jen – December 15, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, and Alan Cumming?! What’s p with that!?

Comment by Karen – December 15, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alan Cumming is by far the worst part of The Good Wife. He can’t act the part, too gay to play a straight man. I’m not bashing gay people, just stating Cumming is not at all good.

Comment by godzilla_foil – December 15, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love New Girl, it’s my favorite new show so I’m happy it got nominated. I also think that Zooey Deschanel is a great actress, that being said it probably isn’t that challenging to play an exaggerated version of herself, which is what she’s doing.

Comment by andrea – December 15, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad and Aaron Paul being snubbed is downright criminal! Parenthood and HIMYM were also snubbed, though that is not as surprising. Parenthood in particular never gets any love from any awards programs despite being one of the best written and acted series on broadcast television. I am excited for Homeland though!

Comment by LaurenMC – December 15, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with most of what you wrote except that The Walking Dead was boring this past season and Community is unfunny.

Comment by FernLaPlante – December 15, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very happy for Callie Thorne! Necessary Roughness is a great show!
    I am surprised that Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell are not nominated.
    So happy for Ryan Gosling even though we all know Leonardo will win for Drama actor.
    Hope Rooney Mara wins, such Buzz about her
    Hope Michelle Williams wins
    I was surprised at some TV drama nominees
    To be the shockers were no Dexter and no Michael C Hall, whom I think is fantastic.
    Also no Melissa McCarthy

Comment by sarah – December 15, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl and Glee over Parks and Rec? The Golden Globes suck! I love that Amy Poehler got included. But Glee isn’t funny, and although I laugh sometimes at New Girl Parks and Rec is a much better show. In the words of Ron Swanson: “Awards are stupid, but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people”

Comment by Linda – December 15, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The awards are not based on what Americans like or what’s popular in the US. There are 90 active members of the HFPA. New Girl airs in 29 of their home countries. You do the math.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland and American Horror Story deserve every nomination!

Comment by Marty – December 15, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons od Anarchy the best drama show ever.
    Katey Sagal the best drama actress ever.

Comment by marti – December 15, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can understand why Dexter wasn’t on the list (seems to be suffering creatively since season 4), but Michael C. Hall still deserves a nomination for his amazing work. I would venture to guess that he’s the only reason a lot of people still watch the show.

Comment by Jan – December 15, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look I love AHS as much as the next guy but how does this show get a best drama nominee and Breaking Bad and SOA don’t?!

Also how can a show be nominated for any award when the friggin season hasn’t even aired yet? Just stupid.

Agree on New Girl.. This show is awful and that lead girl is annoying and has a funny looking face.

Comment by Dont Understand – December 15, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me the biggest snub was Emilia Clarke for GOT. She got more amazing each week.

Comment by Steve T – December 15, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say I’m surprised by the SOA snub since it’s more of a surprise when they actually get the kudos they deserve, but more unfortunate this time around. They did an amazing job this season.

Comment by Tee – December 15, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No True Blood???
    No love for the Bones actors???

Comment by Liz – December 15, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee, New Girl, Matt LeBlanc? Seriously? God those are frustrating
    Where is Community, Stana Katic or Sons of Anarchy

I am happy about Downtown Abbey, American Horror Story and Homeland

But New Girl, seriously?

Comment by Nan – December 15, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT. THE. HELL?
    How is it possible that Community got COMPLETELY ignored? What does that show have to do to get some recognition? This is ridiculous.

Comment by Stephanie – December 15, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community does not air in enough of the HFPA members’ home countries for it to garner enough votes from the 90 active members.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah New Girl getting nominated over Happy Endings & Community (the two funniest shows this season) is bullcrap. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised since they’re both kinda under-the-rader shows that are ignored by the masses and only appreciated by people with good taste. At least Parks & Rec got a few noms.

Comment by MBii – December 15, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok I hope Im not alone in being more than a little upset that Castle’s Stana Katic got snubbed this year, especically after her amazing performance in ‘Kill Shot’. I get that the show gets over looked because it’s a dramady but still.

Comment by Sammi – December 15, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A bit weird to don’t see Hugh Laurie & micheal c hall on the best actor list this year!!(even if they both win in the past..)
    And that Walking the Dead been left out, SAD!
    But honestly, I’m not sure I’m interest enough to spend/waist 3hrs to watch it

Comment by Jules – December 15, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Necessary Roughness but it was not award winning work for anyone involved.

Comment by Pam – December 15, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still no love for Psych. Sad.

Comment by Kimberly – December 15, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK and Community are robbed again….I will never know how Adam Baldwin and the rest of the cast can continue to get under-rated so much. Sometimes I wonder if the people who choose the shows that gets the “nods” even watch these shows themselves or if they just stick all the shows in that gets all the over-rated media hype.

Comment by Tater – December 15, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Adam Baldwin

Comment by Lisa – December 15, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally think they just forgot about Dexter. I’m basically kind of appalled by some of the crap on this list but Dexter didn’t even get a nomination. I’m used to it never winning things, but it’s a staple on this list, and instead the list is full of crap.

And honestly, I like New Girl, but I don’t think it deserves any awards unless there’s a category somewhere for “shows that are pretty adorable.”

I just think this list was made by people who don’t watch TV. These are probably people who tune into Two and a Half Men and think it’s the greatest.

Comment by A – December 15, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how is it that there was no love for jim parsons or happy endings???

Comment by Noya – December 15, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BREAKING BAD- ROBBED. GIANCARLO ESPOSITO- ROBBED. AARON PAUL- ROBBED. THE CAST OF BB- ROBBED. REVENGE- ROBBED. THE CAST OF REVENGE- ROBBED. SONS OF ANARCHY- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED. THE CAST OF SOA- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED. KATY SAGAL & MAGGIE SIFF- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED. WTF. I AM SO PISSED.

Comment by haren – December 15, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALSO, BRYAN CRANSTON- ROBBED. ROBBED. ROBBED.

Comment by haren – December 15, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JENNIFER CARPENTER FROM DEXTER- ROBBED!!!!!!!! SHE HAS DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB THIS YEAR. THE GG’S ARE STUPID THIS YEAR.

Comment by Kasey – December 15, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about One Tree Hill?

Comment by Rolfe – December 15, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where was the nomination for Fiona Shaw for True blood in the supporting category? Major Omission!!

Comment by Ronnie – December 15, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Community? Seriously?

Comment by Yvonne – December 15, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Agree! with you about the snub! I mean Callie Thorne?? Really!! What about Dana Delany “Body of Proof”,Lena Headey or Jennifer Ehle “Game of Throne”, or even Sally Field “Brothers & Sisters for one last time?

And Don’t even get me start on Sean Bean “Game of Throne” >_<

Comment by T – December 15, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very pissed about nothing for Justified and Timothy Olyphant. In addition, what about The Big C and Laura Linney? What about Bored to Death?

Comment by Lisa – December 15, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The nominating body is the Hollywood FOREIGN Press Association. I can’t find any indication Justified airs anywhere other the US at the moment. If it’s not on the air in their home countries, very little chance an HFPA member is going to throw a vote that way.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to be a super Gleek, but Glee has not been good since the middle of season 2 and Season 1 was it’s only true good season!! I don’t even watch it anymore. there are so many great shows and actors/actresses who deserved noms!!!

Comment by Lani – December 15, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Must be repeated:

Everything about Community and Parks&Rec >>>> New Girl and Glee.

Hands down, Community and Parks have some of the most talented, hilarious people on TV!!!

Comment by Eliza – December 15, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Golden Globes are starting to pan out like all of Major League Baseball’s so-called honors: no thought involved, just aiming for popularity and the obscure to make it seem like the writers (in the case of the MLB) know what’s going on somewhere other than NY, Boston, and the Flavor of the Week in the NL.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 15, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHERE IS THE LOVE FOR SOUTHLAND?!?!?!?! Especially Regina King, who has been deserving of a nomination for the past three years. Snubbed, again.

Comment by CJ – December 15, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The TV categories SUCK! Big time! Then again, when have ever the Globes been nice to TV? NEVER.

Where’s The Good Wife? Breaking bad? The Walking Dead? Sons of Anarchy? Community? Parks And Recreation? I could go on and on… and Glee? For real?

Comment by Roma – December 15, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If New Girl is really one of the best 5 comedies I think that says a lot (and nothing good) about the state of American comedy. As does the nomination of Glee in comedy.

Breaking Bad had an amazing season. It should be nommed along with Aaron Paul.

I’m absolutely rooting for Homeland, Claire Danes, and Damian Lewis. After this past week’s episode, Danes should have it locked up.

Comment by Kelly – December 15, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Week with Marilyn nominated as Best Comedy? Did I miss something?

Comment by Melinda Granieri – December 15, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I agree with just about every gripe reported so far. Mostly, Glee and New Girl are just too unbelievably weak to be considered in any regard, while Community, P&R, even Suburgatory are better shows than those.

Let me add a new one: Sofia Vergara for best actress. I mean, she is one of the hottest women on Earth. She’s funny and fits the role. But a nomination for her abilities in ACTING?? Has everybody gone nuts??

Comment by godzilla_foil – December 15, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community not getting any love from the HFP was no surprise, but a nomination would have been good for the momentum of the show during its forced hiatus. Maybe NBC never even bothered submitting the show at all.

Comment by eric murphy – December 15, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post