Golden Globe Nods: My Snappy Judgments

Get More: Awards, Golden Globes, News

The 2011 Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Laura Dern!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (Boss over Breaking Bad?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The best comedy nod for HBO’s underrated Enlightened and leading lady Laura Dern.
* Revenge‘s wicked-good Madeline Stowe up for best drama series actress.
* All the Downton Abbey love, including nods for Elizabeth McGovern, Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville.
* Homeland snagging nods for best drama series, actress (Claire Danes) and actor (Damian Lewis).
* Mireille Enos sneaking in for The Killing
* Johnny Galecki snagging a lead actor nod for The Big Bang Theory.
* Zooey Deschanel’ nod for New Girl.
* Jessica Lange for American Horror Story.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* David Duchovny over Joel McHale?
* Jeremy Irons for The Borgias? Zzzzz…..
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough.
* Callie Thorne for Necessary Roughness? Love her, but one of the top five dramatic female performances of the year? Better than Katey Sagal? No.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for Community.
* No love for Cougar Town.
* No love for Parks and Recreation (although Amy Poehler managed to squeak in.)
Happy Endings getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy getting screwed.
 Ditto the rest of the fantastic ensemble.
* No best drama series nod for Breaking Bad? Or The Good Wife? Or The Walking Dead? Or Justified? Not even Margo Martindale?!

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

Comments (209)

• I agree with everything you just wrote Aus!

Comment by Valerie – December 15, 2011 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do people insist on putting Glee on their lists? New Girl, while it has potential, is in no way up to par with some of the other comedies on TV. And Eliza Coupe and Casey Wilson > Zooey Deschanel

Comment by Lisa – December 15, 2011 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the broken elevator shaft in Big Bang Theory is a better actor than Zooey Deschanel.

Comment by Kim – December 15, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL!!! Agree!! :D

Comment by Aaron – December 15, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • couldnt have said it better myself!!!

Comment by rush – December 15, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow! 100% agree! I do not get this Zooey Deschanel fascination. New Girl is completely ridiculous! Her sister, IMO, is a far better actress.

Comment by Amber – December 15, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • you lost me at ‘her sister is a far better actress’

vomit

Comment by Maria – December 15, 2011 12:06 PM PDT
          • Totally agree with you. Zooey’s just so fake.

Comment by Christina – December 15, 2011 12:25 PM PDT
          • I thought I was the only one. I just don’t get it. And now a Golden Globe nomination?! The Emperor isn’t wearing any clothes!

Comment by Lina – December 16, 2011 06:42 AM PDT
      • I agree! I was confused about New Girl’s 2 noms. I like the show just fine, but a golden globe? Seriously? Also pissed at another crappy season of Glee getting nominated. I swear, it’s going to win again. By now, Glee’s uninspired storylines can take a dump on stage and the hollywood foreign press will still award it a gold-plated ball. At least there were no individual actor noms for glee. Ugh…

Comment by jess – December 15, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The work by the cast, especially that by Chris Colfer and Lea Michele, also Cory Monteith and in many of her scenes Naya Rivera, transcends the oftentimes crappy writing they’re saddled with. I would have been happier to see the individual cast members get nods than the show.

Comment by Lovelysilksworth – December 15, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • THIS, a gazillion times. Even though I don’t like everyone’s acting or singing, I have a lot of respect for what they ALL have to go through because of that crappy, ridiculous, inconsistent, offensive writing. Don’t even get me started on how condescending and insulting so-called new “writers” are with the fans too.
            No. Definitely NO. “Glee” as a whole, as a product from a crew that is supposed to provide quality tv doesn’t deserve to be on that list, or any award nomination list, really. The cast does!

The energy they put into their work is incredible. They barely sleep, they record songs, then get to dance rehearsals, learn their lines, shoot the scenes (probably hoping that it doesn’t get cut). Add to that a bunch of interviews and/or photoshoots (good for them outside of Glee, but still exhausting nonetheless). And the awkwardness of the forced and OTT tweeting to promote the next ep that (of course!) will be “THE BEST EVER zOMG !!” just like the week before that. Rinse. Repeat. They barely can see their families and a having a day off seems like a miracle in their universe. And when the season’s over, they have the tour. So if someone deserves some recognition, it’s the actors. Glee on this list is embarrassing.

I don’t understand the lack of Community either. And where the eff are Stana Katic and Naya Rivera? Where’s the love for 2 Broke Girls? Why is Johnny Galecki even on this list when Jim Parsons isn’t? I mean, Leonard has turned into an obnoxious, boring idiot and Galecki’s acting is disturbingly subpar for 2 seasons now.

Comment by Monkeyrat – December 15, 2011 10:44 AM PDT
    • Also, thankfully Claire Danes, Damien Lewis and Homeland are on this list. Shame on you SAG!

Comment by Lisa – December 15, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I super agree with you, Lisa.

Comment by Sarah El – December 15, 2011 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • these arnt the sag noms…..

Comment by rush – December 15, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Read Lisa’s comment again, rush. Take it a little slower. I’m sure you’ll understand it soon. And I’m sure you’ll find your apostrophe key as well.

Comment by thoroughbredofsin – December 15, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • rush is streets behind

Comment by Maria – December 15, 2011 12:08 PM PDT
      • Definitely agree! The show is amazing.
        And Claire and Damian have been seriously fantastic!!

Comment by Elizabeth – December 15, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So do I! Especially the part about Callie Thorn v. Katey Sagal. I mean seriously, is that even a thing?
      I am really disappointed that there was no love for Cougar Town, even though I am not surprised. I had to hope that the people who make these choices would realize that Glee is not so great and this would open a space for another show. Even though these aren’t “my shows” I would have been happier if Glee’s spot had been given to Parks & Rec or Community because Glee just doesn’t deserve it. It would have meant that finally, we (the Globes folks) are paying attention to quality and not ratings.
      And New Girl? Is that what we’re doing now?

Comment by the girl – December 15, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is not a we situation. It’s the HFPA. They nominate and award based on what’s popular in THEIR countries. And there are less than 100 active members. New Girl airs in 29 members’ home countries.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With all the gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes, particularly regarding Breaking Bad not up for Best Drama, you’d think someone would have mentioned that the most glaring omission is that of Giancarlo Esposito. Gus Fring was the scariest villian ever to show up on TV, and the thought of Mr. Box Cutter still creeps me out.

Comment by Mikey – December 15, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. Just, this.

Comment by justjack – December 15, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AGREED!

Comment by alex – December 15, 2011 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everything above except for New Girl. That show is boring as hell and Zooey Deschanel is the worst. I’m super-pissed about Parks also, it’s the best show on the air at the moment.

Comment by whatever – December 15, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you on New Girl. Highly overrated!!

Comment by Aaron – December 15, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! I watched the first two eps of New Girl and didn’t find it entertaining at all. I laughed at the things that were not supposed to be funny.

Comment by Lisa – December 15, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, THANK YOU! I thought I was the only person who hadn’t jumped on that “New Girl” bandwagon. And I watched the first episode really wanting to like it.

Comment by aleksa – December 15, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you. ZOOEY CAN’T ACT!!!

Comment by Niko – December 15, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t get into New Girl either! I gave it a shot, and every once in awhile I’ll catch the beginning when it’s at the end of my DVR’d Glee, but it’s NOT FUNNY! I don’t get the obsession! I used to like Zooey Deschanel (the real Zooey Deschanel) back when she did things like Elf and wasn’t trying so hard to be the cute, lovable, quirky girl. Happy Endings is FAR superior and has very few weak links in the cast. Casey Wilson and Eliza Coupe are a-mah-zing and have me rolling every week. Too bad they aren’t getting any recognition!

Comment by Lauren – December 15, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, and Boss?? Is anyone even watching that? What channel does it come on? And when does it air? Other than that, I’m happy with the best drama nominees. I don’t watch Horror Story, because I’m terrified of scary tv shows and movies (I change the channel when trailers come on tv), but I’m sure it’s deserving. I’ve been wanting to watch Homeland and plan to catch up when I get some time. Boardwalk Empire continues to be must-watch tv every week. But Boss?? Really?

Comment by Lauren, again – December 15, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I don’t get all the New Girl hype either. The show isn’t completely awful but should it be on this list? No.

Community and Parks >>>>> New Girl.

SMH so much.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 15, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • New Girl is better than 2 Broke Girls but not the greatest comedy ever. The guys on that show, especially Schmidt are pretty funny when they’re not around Jess. Jess being akward and nerdy was funny in the first episode now it just feels old. Keep her nerdy just make her somewhat less weird.

Comment by lacey – December 15, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those people don’t watch TV, simple as this. Ignoring the best tv shows of the year (Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, Justified, Louie) just proves how much of a joke it is. And Glee? Seriously?
    good thing Homeland is there

Comment by Nanda – December 15, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and Community! But every award show ignores it so I’m used to it

Comment by Nanda – December 15, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I STILL HAVEN’T GOTTEN USED TO IT! ugh this is so frustrating. I watch a lot of tv and Community is pretty much the best show I’ve seen in a while.

Comment by Maggie – December 15, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m used to it, but I still think it’s ridiculous.

Comment by aleksa – December 15, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But they obviously don’t listen to buzz/chatter either. I mean, the drama series category is a WRECK. Seriously, no TGW, BB or Justified??? I don’t even watch the last 2 yet I *KNOW* they should be included; certainly over Boss. Who did Kelsey Grammer pay or **** off to get his nominations??

Comment by Saint Alicia – December 15, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They listen to the buzz/chatter in their HOME countries. These are FOREIGN journalists.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They really don’t watch TV, that’s for sure. I guess they’re looking for tokens in each category, not real performance and merit. Some nominations can only be taken that way.

Comment by godzilla_foil – December 15, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With no SOA love or Breaking Bad for best drama I’m not even going to watch the Golden Globes this year.

Comment by Philip – December 15, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about BB (I don’t watch SOA yet). The HFPA loses all credibility by leaving it out. And they’ve never recognized Aaron Paul because of the stupid way they select Best Supp. Actor/Actress. And while Dexter is not as good as it once was, it’s still better than most tv, but Michael C. Hall is ALWAYS good. To me, it seemed like they were trying to mix it up at the expense of snubbing some great actors and shows.

Comment by jennrae – December 15, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Breaking Bad? A travesty as this was the best season yet, and that’s saying something. No Aaron Paul? Ridiculous ! I would have been satisfied with a supporting nomination but actually, this season he has been elevated to co-lead status. Give him a Best Actor nom and a supporting one to Mike or Gus.

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 15, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what do you mean about Gwyneth, Kristin, and Dot Marie Jones all making the cut? I thought the Golden Globes didn’t have any Guest Actor nominations…

Comment by Katie – December 15, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They don’t, but they have the supporting actor category that any of those three could qualify for, I’d think?

Comment by Erin – December 15, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Duchovny over Joel McHale?
    No love for Community.
    No love for Cougar Town.
    No love for Parks and Recreation (although Amy Poehler managed to squeak in.)
    Happy Endings getting bubkes
    Couldn’t agree more! Thats why I have lost faith in humanity

Comment by Maggie – December 15, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I normally don’t care about awards but some of my favorite shows, Cougar Town, Community, Parks and Rec, teeter dangerously close to cancellation (Cougar Town, Community) and some award attention would really help boost their chances of renewal. Now, if these shows were terrible, I would understand why they get no awards but P&R, Community, and Cougar Town are some of the best comedies out there. It’s like the people who decide what is getting an award just look at the ratings, skim from the top, and then pick one token low rated show to be their award show darling. Do these people even watch TV?!
      Awards are stupid but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.

Comment by Ari – December 15, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I am not even bothering to watch the ceremony this year. This is just so frustrating you know. I wouldn’t have cared about my favorite shows not being nominated if their ratings were fine. Since they’re on the verge of cancellation, I had hoped may be a nomination or two could have helped them a little. *sigh*

Comment by Amy – December 15, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • In my angry rant, I totally overlooked the Pars and Rec reference xD

Comment by Amy – December 15, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s like the people who decide what is getting an award just look at the ratings, skim from the top, and then pick one token low rated show to be their award show darling.

And sometimes, it’s not even that… it’s who the HFP want at their parties or about setting a trend. What I hate most is how worked up I get over it still. But as you mentioned, some quality shows that go overlooked are on the verge of cancellation and SOME genuine recognition could save them from that.

Comment by MV – December 15, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank goodness Amy Poehler got recognized or I would have been completely unhappy at the comedy noms!
      Amy’s the saving grace for the entire category for me.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 15, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am raging over the Katey Sagal snub right no.
    RAGING.

Comment by Marielle – December 15, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SOA airs in very few of the HFPA member’s home countries. If their country is not watching it, they are not writing about it, let alone voting for it.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT DOES COMMUNITY, TBBT PARK AND RECS AND COUGAR TOWN HAVE TO DO TO GET A LITTLE RESPECT.

Comment by Humanity – December 15, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does Glee continue to get nominated for ANYTHING?? It drives me insane, that show is poorly written and never funny.

Getting used to no love for Community (and McHale/Brie/Glover) and Parks (OFFERMAN) but hello…no drama nod for Breaking Bad? What a joke.

Comment by kc – December 15, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I *really* care about is Jessica Lange. I will be very upset if she doesn’t win.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – December 15, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she doesn’t win I wouldn’t mind if Maggie Smith wins.

But either or will be awesome for me

Comment by Sasha – December 15, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • * All the Downton Abbey love, including nods for Elizabeth McGovern, Maggie Smith and Hugh Bonneville……..all I care about the rest is garbage to me.

Comment by Tiva4Life – December 15, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how I agree with you on pretty much everything. lol

Comment by Lauren – December 15, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t agree more.

No noms for Community, parks and rec or Happy endings? And Breaking Bad didn’t even get a nom for best drama?

Yet Glee received all these noms?

This list is a joke…freaking lobbyists

Comment by Andy – December 15, 2011 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee didn’t get ALL these noms, they got one. And to be honest, while I think a few of the actors themselves should have gotten nominated (Chris Colfer, Naya Rivera, Dot Marie Jones), the show as a whole? No way.

Comment by bamabunny – December 15, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. The Glee nom should have gone to the cast. They are what keeps this show alive and some kind of watchable.

Comment by Kittie – December 15, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • - No ”The Good Wife” mention in best drama? It’s one thing the show is losing every year, but not even get nominated?
    As normally there’s no ”Grey’s Anatomy” either but they dropped that show for some years now, totally undeserved, but ok.

- No nomination for Jim Parsons in actor comedy? I like Johny and a nod is good for him, but not nominating Jim?

- Glee still added as best comedy while there are tons of better comedies out there.

- No nomination for Archie Panjabi ( The Good Wife ) and yet again no Ellen Pompeo ( Grey’s ) ?

- No nomination for Dexter? I mean, really? Same goes for ”Damages” and the actors included of both shows.

- Golden Globes ever heard about Fringe? Parenthood?

Some good things…

- Zoey Deschannel added as female comedy. Expected, but still awesome. At least 1 Deschannel sister is honored, lol.

- Madeleine Stowe gets a nod from Revenge ( which is GREAT )

- At least no Mad Men or Breaking Bad nomination.

- Julianna Marguilles ( The Good Wife ) Yeeeeee. She just needs to win again.

- Homeland honored. Never saw it, but heard great stories about it.

- Pure love for Downton Abbey / Maggie Smith ^^

Comment by Ingmar – December 15, 2011 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “At least no Mad Men or Breaking Bad nomination.” really? two of the best shows on TV. And Breaking Bad has never been nominated for a GG

Comment by Nanda – December 15, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mad Men isn’t eligible. It aired not a single episode this year.

Comment by Mico – December 15, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think Nanda was just pointing out that Mad Men deserves every one of their nominations, so even though it was ineligible this year, to imply that it doesn’t deserve a spot because it always gets nominated is blasphemous. As long as a show or an actor continues to be brilliant they deserve a nod, even if it gets old. Bryan Cranston is always nominated, but say they snubbed him to give another actor a chance to win–who would want to win that way?

Comment by jennrae – December 15, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nanda was just point out that ‘Ingmar’ is an idiot by seemingly being happy that BB and MM didn’t get any nominations. And we know why MM didn’t.

Comment by steve – December 15, 2011 07:27 AM PDT
    • agreed on the Deschanels part! It’s not fair that procedurals almost never get nominated….It will suck if Zooey wins a GG before Emily (I mean awesome for her and New Girl,but on the sibling rivarly thing) but comedy is always highly regarded over dramedies :(

Comment by MJ – December 15, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From what both Emily and Zooey have said in the past, there is no rivalry between them, so I’d rather think Emily would be very happy for Zooey if she won.
        But on the other hand, I still don’t understand how Emily can be snubbed year after year for her amazing work on Bones.

Comment by Sarah – December 15, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, thanks goodness they didn’t nominate Breaking Bad, the best show on TV. Man, that would have been such a travesty.

Moron.

Comment by Steve – December 15, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you like Breaking Bad, good for you. But I have every right to have my own taste. I don’t call you a moron just because you like a certain show, lol.

Comment by Ingmar – December 15, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry, felt it was deserved :)

Comment by steve – December 15, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It was deserved, Steve. Only a moron would make a comment like Ingmar did about BB.

Comment by Moi – December 15, 2011 08:40 AM PDT
        • There is not liking something, and then there is being unable to appreciate quality when you see it. There are good shows out there I never could get into, but I can still recognize that they are good.

Comment by Wendell – December 15, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Quality shows are subjective. Everyone seeks something else in a show. That multiple of you like Breaking Bad and think it has quality…GOOD for you! I don’t call you morons because of it. But when I slip I dont like BB, I get attacked from every corner. Uhm? I have every right to have my own taste. I dont follow the critics. If they like a show, it doesnt mean that show has quality and everyone should think so. It’s just THEIR taste just like its YOUR taste. And I have MINE taste. No need to yell at eachother for it.

Comment by Ingmar – December 16, 2011 12:51 AM PDT
      • Name more than three foreign countries in which Breaking Bad airs. Seriously. Go to the HFPA website. Look at their current members and try to find out which of their countries airs the show. Even though the members are based in Hollywood, if the show does not air in their country, they are not writing about it and even less likely to vote for the show.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Louie had such an amazing season and that Louis CK didn’t get nominated is completely insane.
    Agreed on Sons and Parks. And Boardwalk Empire is so mediocre. I’d like to see some love for Parenthood or Justified instead.

Comment by Mel – December 15, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tut-tut, No Michael Pitt for Boardwalk Empire – Best SUPPORTING ACTOR, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES.

Comment by Karen Campbell – December 15, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I’m rolling my eyes about all of these except Community. Gossip Girl?! Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick beat the crap out of those actors, just saying.

Comment by Mel – December 15, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m just tell you something you should know…

NOTHING FROM THE CW is going to be nominated for anything no matter how good of an actor they are.

It’s probably never going to happen.

Accept it.

Community I agree with, I’ll also add BBT to it

Comment by Sasha – December 15, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t agree with you more about Mireille Enos and No best drama series nod for Breaking Bad. I’m super elated for Homeland all the way around.

Comment by Thom – December 15, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why Enos more then Anna Torv? The Killing was just one good episode, the pilot and Anna Torv has been outstanding on Fringe the entire year/season 3 and 4.
      Anna Torv the biggest snub.

Comment by Dunham – December 15, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously it would be Peter Dinklage over Eric Stonestreet, and Jessica Lange over Sofia Vergara. Stupid lumping!

Comment by Mico – December 15, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTH!
    How bout:
    -Ty Burrell?
    -Steve Carell?
    -Jim Parsons?

And SCHMIDT?!

Comment by jeyminems – December 15, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SCHMIDT!!! That was my first thought too. Poor Schmidt!

Comment by BAHHH – December 15, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! Look, I love New Girl, but Zooey is clearly the weakest link on that show. It’s at it’s absolute funniest when it focuses on ALL the characters and their quirks, not just Jess. PARKOUR!

Comment by Erin – December 15, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Community” needs to have a nomination in every category it qualifies for (and then some more in ones it doesn’t), but Duchovny is a worthy choice for Comedy Actor. I’d like to see some love for Michael Pitt in “Boardwalk Empire.” Also, “American Horror Story” sucks. Get that our of there!

Comment by Steve Waterman – December 15, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you! Community and Michael Pitt deserve some love.
      And American Horror Story just ugh..there’s no way that show is better than The Good Wife, Breaking Bad or Justified. Speaking of Justifeid not even a nomination for Margo Martindale is a crime.

Comment by MJ – December 15, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community airs in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, South Africa and India. No mention of Germany, France, or any of the Asian-Pacific countries, all of whom have representatives in the HFPA.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATE THE WORLD RIGHT NOW FOR SOA NOT BEING ON THIS LAST!!! TIME TO RIOT!

Comment by Amanda – December 15, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Time to riot, Sons of Anarchy-style? Let’s do this! I’m in the mood to ambush the HFPA folks!

Comment by Lucas – December 15, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS is one of the top watched TV shows on television and it never gets a nominations for the show or cast. They are all superb!

It the same old shows and actors every year…boring!

Comment by CT – December 15, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I’m sorry but what the hell SANDRA OH have to do to warrant even just a nomination?! Unacceptable!

Comment by Mico – December 15, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Duchovny FTW!

Comment by Marianto86 – December 15, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m okay with some of these nominations but many were snub, were Revnge in a drama series, wheres Gabriel Mann for Supporting Actor, where’s Emily Van der Camp for Actess, yes I love that Madeleine Stowe is honored and could win and I hope she do but Emily deserve to be on there as much or more then most of the actress on there.

Dana Delany derserves to be on as Actess in a drama series, She is the shining star of Body Of Proof.

I know many won’t agree with me but I think for the last time, The Desperate Housewives cast should be honored. At least Marcia Cross for Drama Actress, she does Drama best.

Happy Endings should be nom. for comedy and take out the awful Glee.

Where Rizzoli & Isles, Sasha Alexandra derserve, supporting actress.

Comment by fernando – December 15, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF no Dexter!?!?

Comment by court – December 15, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing for Fringe or Sons of Anarchy? No nomination for last year’s winner Katey Sagal? Seriously, Golden Globes? What a joke.

Comment by Jayme – December 15, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe that once our universe has finally collided with another parallel universe, then Fringe will sweep all these awards shows clean!!

Comment by Aaron – December 15, 2011 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FRINGE!!! It’s so depressing that John Noble and Anna Torv are getting passed over yet again.

Comment by djp – December 15, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a good thing Ricky Gervais is hosting because that is the most boring list of shows/actors I’ve ever seen. The only one I’m really excited about is Peter Dinklage

Comment by Amie – December 15, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the exception of Claire Danes, the Globes cannot be serious with their Lead Actress – Drama nominees. While the leading men of Sons of Anarchy were amazing (especially Ryan Hurst), the ladies (Maggie Siff and Katey Sagal) owned season 4. Such a shame their brilliant work won’t be recognized. Again.

Comment by Martha – December 15, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s not forget the brilliance that was Theo Rossi this year either. He was superb.

Comment by Jayme – December 15, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I like Johnny Galecki, too. A lot. That said, let’s be honest here … in what universe is lifting your head while gasping and scrunching your nose à la Galecki more sublime than a perfectly timed Jim Parsons quintuple take? Uh, no. Just no.

Comment by impliedbazinga – December 15, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really feel like in your “I’m rolling my eyes about” category you should have included Glee being nominated at all. I know you probably don’t want to piss off any “Gleeks” but the show is pretty terrible. And certainly not worthy of being nominated. Especially when phenomenal brilliant comedies like Parks & Rec and Community are snubbed. I usually wouldn’t be so upset about award nominations but Community could really use the attention since it’s always fighting to stay on the air and to be renewed.
    I don’t think I’ve been this bothered since the days of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Gilmore Girls being snubbed simply because of the network they were on.

Comment by Amelie – December 15, 2011 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your Glee rant. I guess Ausiello is a big Glee fan that’s why he doesn’t mind it. Community deserves to nominated in all the categories.

Comment by Amy – December 15, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Jeremy Irons for The Borgias? Zzzzz…..”
    Wow, to make this comment after praising The Killing?

But yeah, I’m surprised there’s no Community love. The Golden Globes prides itself on simply nominating things the Emmys didn’t, regardless of quality. But to be snubbed by the hipster sister of the Emmys? Ouch.

Comment by D – December 15, 2011 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Golden Globe nominees are based on what is popular in the HFPA member’s HOME countries. NOT THE UNITED STATES!

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This awards are crap, everyone knows it. Some of this nods are a plain joke: Jeremy Irons for The Borgias? Really? I mean, REALLY??

Also a lot of unforgivable snubs: Justified, Jim Parsons, Alan Cumming, Michael C. Hall (I know this season Dexter has gone down a little so I wasn’t expecting a nod for Drama Series but MCH is as great as ever.)

Anyway, the only reason I’m watching this awards is Ricky Gervais.

Comment by Emma – December 15, 2011 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the TV nominations have me scratching my head. Why is it all cable? Comedy and Dramedy should be separated.

Comment by liesse00 – December 15, 2011 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Hugh Laurie????? No NCIS???? Seriously, what does Hugh Laurie gotta do to get a Globe? With the tons of dialogue, masking a British accent, limping, etc. you’d think he’d be recognized. Well, he’s always a winner in my book :)

Comment by Melanie – December 15, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure Hugh has won a Globe (or two). It’s the Emmy that he has never won.

Comment by Moi – December 15, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, maybe you can clear this up. In what world is Downton Abbey a mini-series?? It got renewed for its THIRD season and each season has like 12 episodes (just like any cable drama such a Mad Men, Breaking Bad etc). It’s NOT a mini-series by any definition. It’s a full on show. Period.

Comment by Alex – December 15, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i am sorry, but you are mistaken. unfortunately the downton abbey seasons are shorter. season 1 had 7 episodes. season 2 8 + christmas special. so they are quite a lot shorter than mad men or breaking bad which have about 13 episodes every season.

i still agree with you though that it isnt a mini-series, considering the THIRD season is going to start in september o.O

Comment by S. from A. – December 15, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing for The Good Wife… I can’t hardly believe that. This show is the best show I’ve seen on TV in decades.

Comment by Lucy – December 15, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Julianna Margulies got nominated for best actress. The lumping of all tv supporting actors and actresses into two category make it hard for many to make the cut…

Comment by Aaron – December 15, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m super pissed there is nada for The Walking Dead or Sons of Anarchy!!!

Comment by Nilla – December 15, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking Bad ROBBED. Best show on TV. And Aaron Paul was robbed as well.

Comment by sg – December 15, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have conflicting feelings. I get why a couple of my favorites weren’t nominated but no nod for Good Wife? Criminal!

I love Glee but I kind of hope some other show will win this year (and probably will). Modern Family would be my pick if it hadn’t been the reason for the Emmys being so darn boring xD.

Comment by sandra – December 15, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sandra, it’s because you’re most likely American and the voting members of the HFPA ARE NOT.

Comment by Kiki – December 18, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Golden Globes has acknowledged there is good new TV this year unlike the SAG’s! Agree with you that they really need to sort out those supporting categories, hwo can you compare Maggie Smith and Sofia Vergara??

Happy about:
    Clare Danes for Homeland – only caught the pilot but i said from that alone its a GG for Danes!
    Madeleine Stowe for Revenge – Love this show and Madeleine’s Victoria is just superb! great to see its been recognised!
    Mirielle Enos for The Killing
    New Girl has been nominated best Comedy, Love Love Love this show, would have like to have seen Happy endings and Cougar town with it instead of overrated since season 1 Glee and Modern Family!
    Zooey Deschenel for New Girl
    Maggie Smith for Downtown Abbey

Not happy about:

Cougar Town snubbed yet again, Hellllooooo Busy Phillips funniest actress on TV!
    Why are the big 5 networks hardly ever nominated in awards, I know cable has more production values etc buit there is a reason why the network shows like NCIS rake in nearly 20 million viewers, awards could show some loving for these types of shows!
    I love Glee but its not been awards worthy since season 1
    Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin time to step aside, this show is now stale!

Comment by Kate – December 15, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only started watching Sons of Anarchy this past summer and I was so shocked to hear they’ve never been up for awards with the exception of Sagal’s win last year (who really freaking deserved it). I really thought this year would be their year. Whatever, as long as critics and the general audience recognizes Katey Sagal’s mindblowing performance as Gemma Teller-Morrow, I’ll be okay.

Comment by Tamara – December 15, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re going to stay a fan of SOA, get used to saying “Whatever” to the lack of nominations! Sucks that no one in the fantastic ensemble gets the credit they deserve.

Comment by A.Rae – December 15, 2011 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true. I just watched the first 2 seasons last month and was blown away by the entire ensemble and writing. Great show.

Comment by Bad Breaker – December 15, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory and Psych are the two shows that consistently make me laugh out loud, week after week. Arte they not cool enough to be nominated or are their showrunners just not connected in Hollywood?

Comment by Sandiegocat – December 15, 2011 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TBBT was nominated for best comedy last year, but i guess this year they had to make room for New Girl. Sorry I watch the show every week but it is not on the same level as TBBT, Parks & Rec, Happy Ending, or Community.

Comment by jess – December 15, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HUGE Psych fan here. I love that these award shows are recognizing actors from USA shows like Piper Perabo, Patrick J Adams and Callie Thorne but they’re missing two of the funniest mofos around in James Roday and Dule Hill!

I do have agree with Michael in regards to Callie Thorne though.
      Love her but….

Comment by Eliza – December 15, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do they keep snubbing Community? It pisses me off to the point where I don’t even wanna watch the globes anymore. And seriously stop nominating Glee for best Comedy, it isn’t funny… or good!

Comment by Ana Muller – December 15, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another snub I’m pissed about. Friday Night Light’s. This show had been consistently wonderful and yet no nominations for its final season? And don’t even get me started on Breaking Bad and Community being snubbed.

Comment by Lexie – December 15, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Biggest snub in my opinion is Sons of Anarchy. The show is just amazing all the way around! I don’t know what else Kurt Sutter and Co. can do to get love from their peers or critics. I seriously haven’t been this addicted to a show in a long time, with exception to Breaking Bad, who also got snubbed!

Comment by Tiffany – December 15, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! The fact that season 2 and season 4 of Sons of Anarchy will never get recognized with an award makes my skin crawl. Two of the best seasons I have seen in TV in general.

Comment by Lucas – December 15, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Mirielle Enos was nominated for The Killing, but what about Michelle Forbes in Best Supporting Actress? She was the heart of that entire season if you ask me… And yeah big time BOOO to no SoA love!

Comment by Chris – December 15, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Johnny Galecki get in but not Jim Parsons?

Comment by Amber – December 15, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post