Golden Globe Nominations Boast New Blood: Homeland, Johnny Galecki, New GirlRevenge

Nominations were announced on Thursday morning for the 69th annual Golden Globe Awards, and fresh blood was in bountiful supply.

Among this year’s nominees are freshman shows Homeland (including nods for leads Damian Lewis and Claire Danes), New Girl and American Horror Story, while Johnny Galecki is representing The Big Bang Theory in the comedy actor race.

The Golden Globes will be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 15 on NBC; the eligibility period was the 2011 calendar year. Check out this list of TV nominees, then share your raves and rants in the Comments! (TVLine Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello’s own “Snappy Judgements” can be found here.)

• DRAMA SERIES

•  DRAMA – ACTRESS
Claire Danes, Homeland
Mireille Enos, The Killing
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Madeleine Stowe, Revenge
Callie Thorne, Necessary Roughness

Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations: Modern Family Leads Pack, Homeland and Sons Snubbed

• COMEDY SERIES

• SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Evan Rachel Wood, Mildred Pierce

AFI’s Top 10 of ’11: Homeland, Game of Thrones, Justified and Louie Among First-Time Honorees

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – ACTRESS
Romola Garai, The Hour
Diane Lane, Cinema Verite
Elizabeth McGovern, Downton Abbey
Emily Watson, Appropriate Adult
Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce

(The list of film nominees can be found at our sister site Movieline.com.)

1. Valerie says:

In what universe is Glee a more worthy nominee than Big Bang Theory in the Comedy Series category?

• Ari says:

Parks & Rec, Community, Cougar Town, TBBT, all had better seasons than Glee. Even Modern Family is running out of steam IMO, but it will not reinvent itself because it will continue to be showered with awards for doing the same exact thing over and over. I think awards are stupid, but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.

• Valerie says:

I agree with you Ari. I honestly don’t understand why Glee gets all the accolades. It was a novelty in its freshman run but now it’s just a caricature of its once-fun self. I honestly only pay attention during the musical numbers & sometimes I don’t even bother watching but just watch the clips on youtube.

• Sarah says:

Of all the people and T.V. shows nominated people, are upset that Glee a nod!! Whatever….It is a great show. I’m more upset that if you don’t have HBO or Showtime you don’t know what 1/2 these shows even are!! I think they should have separate categories for these shows altogether.

• Amy says:

I agree with everything Ari said

• Sarah El says:

Complete agreement with this entire comment.

• Josh says:

Modern Family deserves the nod. Why does it need to reinvent itself when it comes out with great episodes like the Thanksgiving episode or the Christmas episode?

Considering that every critic in the world has turned on Glee, I can’t believe it’s nominated when Parks and Rec, Community, the Big Bang Theory and Louis are not. It’s down right embarrassing.

• Ari says:

It neesd to reinvent itself because it is getting boring, predictable and therefore not funny. I really loved Modern Family in the first season but now it is so predictable I barely ever watch it. I can already tell you how every single episode is going to play out just by watching the previews. I agree, Modern Family is still pretty good, but I don’t think it is THAT good to deserve all of the attention it gets when there are other better shows out there. Parks & Rec produced a third season that was so close to flawless I was shocked and it has gotten no recognition for that.

• Mike says:

Just because it is predictable doesn’t mean its not funny and still way better than parks and rec which is why it gets the nominations.

• Sara says:

I love how you quoted Parks and Rec “I think awards are stupid, but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.”

• Aiden says:

Exactly! I was just going to mention those exact same shows. No offense to Zooey Deschanel’s charming-but-not-exactly-original “New Girl,” as well, but I think Community should have taken that spot a long time ago. And Glee more awards-worthy funny than Parks & Rec? You’re kidding. Oh well, at least Amy Poehler deservedly received a nod.

• Jon says:

MF is not running out of steam, it still doing great, one does not have to be original to do well.

• Ceecile says:

In what universe is Glee a more worthy nominee than *Community in *any of the Comedy categories?

There, fixed that for you.

• adrianne says:

It pisses me of that they keep nominating Glee for best Comedy, it’s not funny… or good. And in what world does Glee deserve a nod and Community doesn’t? Not only should it be nominated, it should win!

• Jake says:

Community doesnt deserve a nomination either! its hasnt been as funny this season! and They are way better shows that Community on the air. get over it. Since when do these Awards give the audience what they want, theyve been on for years, they arent going to turn into Audience Awards so just stop complaining.

• Ann says:

Glee? That’s got to be a joke! This has been the worst season by far…How in the world did this show get nominated over other shows? Don’t get me wrong, I actually watch Glee and enjoyed the first two seasons…but this season has been atrocious! Surely, not deserving of a nomination. I hope Modern Family wins!

• DL says:

Totally agree with you. Also, while I enjoy New Girl, I’d put Happy Endings over New Girl any day.

• Guy says:

The Globes official nominations list says Comedy or Musical! Matt you need to change what you have written and say Comedy or Musical because its sort of misleading. It deserves its place in because it is a Musical. If it was just a comedy category then i would say no way.

• Alice says:

The Hollywood Foreign Press is less than 100 people who ultimately vote on these things, and the HFP loves Glee. When you actually sample more people, like with the Emmy’s and SAG, better quality shows get recognition- like Parks and Rec. But you would think eventually the HFP would wise up to the fact that Glee has fallen far, far from it’s height.

2. Tiffany says:

It would be a lie to say I’m “shocked” Glee won, but I’m definitely sad about it. They certainly have not earned that since season one, in my opinion. However, I’m pleasantly surprised about Callie Thorne!

3. Tiffany says:

And by “won,” I of course mean “was nominated.” God help us all if it wins, lol.

• Jess says:

you know it’s going to win. the HFPA loves glee… for reasons beyong my comprehension. I still watch the show, but it’s definitely in the “junk tv i watch when I get to it” category instead of the “tv i can’t wait to see every week” like daily show/colbert report, TBBT, Parks&Rec, or Revenge

4. TigerNightmare says:

Nothing for Community, but they think Glee is a comedy. Probably won’t watch.

• Aly says:

The category is comedy OR musical. Glee is a musical, albeit still undeserving of a nom this year. First season was great, downhill ever since. Typical Ryan Murphy, start strong, fizzle out. Except American Horror story, which was DOA in my book. Can’t believe that’s nominated for drama. Maybe it’s like a bad accident and people can’t help but watch. I was done after all the bad editing. Alright, your show’s freaky, we get it…except it becomes less freaky and more annoying if you beat us over the head with the visuals.

I guess the HFP just really likes Ryan Murphy.

5. YOitzIvy says:

I was really hoping Castle’s Stana Katic would be nominated. Boo. Yay for Claire Danes not being snubbed and Go Amy Poehler!! Also happy for Zooey and New Girl. All well deserved noms.

6. Julia says:

Community, parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Happy Endings and The Office are far superior to all these comedies.

7. Amy says:

Community got snubbed again..shocker

8. Lily says:

I feel bad for Cory Monteith, I think that he is a really great actor who has done a lot with his character but because of the not so stellar writing on Glee he is ignored every award season. Of course save for his People’s Choice nomination but everyone knows that doesn’t really count.

• Todd says:

You’ve got to be kidding. Frankenteen is possibly the worst actor on Glee, his “smell the fart” acting has got to go.

9. loulou says:

Disappointed not to see Sons of Anarchy nominated – this was such a strong season.

• alr says:

I completely agree! And to not see Katey Sagal nominated as well is doubly disappointing. I guess critics aren’t interested in rewarding well written shows and are choosing to go with fluff instead.

10. Stefan says:

WT No Chris Colfer, Darren Criss, Jane Lynch or Lea Michelle this is some bullsh*t!!!

I’m sorry but seriously Thomas Jane, Matt LeBlanc as comedy actors nominees PLEASE I quit watching both because they weren’t funny!

11. Erika says:

No Community or Parks & Rec nomination for comedy series? And in what universe is Glee a comedy?

• Aly says:

It’s nominated for best comedy OR musical. It’s a musical. Not that I think it deserves a nomination but it’s in the right category.

12. nonabgo says:

So… no Big Ban Theory, no Jim Parsons, but Glee???? Oh well, I have to get used to these awards not recognizing talent.

13. Donna says:

Oh well, at least yet another periodic slap in the face to John Noble is over with for another year.

(And no, I’m not going to shut up about this ongoing snubbery, or drop it. I’ll keep bringing it up as long as his show is on the air. He is the best and most versatile actor on TV right now, and all you TV writers know it.)

14. Ralf says:

That’s it, I think the Golden Globes have officially lost it. That list of nominees is an embarassment to anybody who enjoys quality drama. Frakkin “Horror Story” over “The Good Wife”, “Damages” or even “The Killing”?! Get the frack out. I’m beginning to think Nikki Finke is right. The HFPA only nominates those who lobby them the hardest.

• DL says:

Do you even watch the show? American Horror Story is outstanding. I don’t watch Damages, but The Good Wife I can agree at least deserves a nom, though I wouldn’t say AHS is the show it should have beaten.
      As for The Killing, I thought the show started strong, but Veena Sud ran it into the ground with ridiculous plot holes and characters suddenly acting antithetically to their behavior the entire season, so I would never, ever give The Killing a nom.

• Aly says:

Sort of like they ran the visual effects in AHS into the ground? It’s a boy! No, it’s a monster! Freaky! Wait, still going. It’s a boy! It’s a monster! It’s a boy! It’s a monster! It’s a boy! It’s a guy in a costume!

Less is more, especially when it comes to horror.

The only thing scary about that show is the bad editing. Visual effects should enhance immersion, not break it.

• Saint Alicia says:

I can’t believe Boss has The Good Wife’s spot for drama series–WTF??!?

• Alice says:

I loathe Ryan Murphy for the way he treated musical artists who decided they did not want to be involved with Glee. I think he’s an arrogant meglomaniac who bought into his own hype. So I was super prejudiced against AHS, but despite its evil producer, the show was really, really good. It earned its spot. And given its creator’s penchant for destroying his own good ideas in the sophomore season, this may be the only year it deserves to be up there, so lets bask.

15. rantmuch says:

Some of last year’s winners (Jim Parsons, Chris Colfer, Jane Lynch, Toni Collete, Michael C. Hall) are missing this year… Not surprised on the Glee people since the inconsistent writing did them, but WTF @ Jim Parsons not getting any love from the SAG or the Globes after winning the Emmy’s for 2 years running…So happy for Zooey D. though…she deserves the nomination…

16. Aaron says:

Really!? New Girl and Zooey Danschanel!? The most painfully comedy to watch out there!! Big Bang Theory and Jim Parsons got snubbed big time!! Not a single nomination to the cast of Modern Family? Glee getting a nomination is awful too.. should have gave it to Happy Endings and The Big Bang Theory

17. Nicole says:

Naya. Rivera.

18. Kes says:

First Southland, now Mad Men gets scrubbed out. Wonderful, these award nominations get better and better *rolls eyes*

19. Blah! says:

Homeland Should Win everything but Best actor… no one has a snowballs chance in hell beating cranston… Grammar may be the only one who comes close

20. Jo says:

Modern Family got three nominations, read before you comment.

• Aaron says:

I forgotten Golden Globe weird category of putting all the supporting actors and actresses in 1 single category when i posted the comment as the nomination wasn’t announced then

21. Sasha says:

Super pissed that Jim Parsons isn’t there BUT HELL YES for Johnny Galecki.
    I really love him, that being said I dont think he’ll win, Alec Baldwin might take it. Bleck.

BUT YAY for Johnny.

Another thing while I love New Girl, it over BBT is pure BS!

• jess says:

agreed! let’s pass the globe around the TBBT cast! Simon Helberg for next year!!! He’s frakkin’ hilarious!
      I also enjoy the New Girl, but was shocked when I saw they got 2 noms. Eh?! >_>

22. Lary says:

And this is because I was thinking the SAG nominations weren’t good…
    Johnny Galecki was nominated, but Jim Parsons wasn’t? What’s wrong with the world?

23. Mico says:

I’ve been following New Girl (which does not necessarily mean I’m a fan of course), and while I believe it had its “moments”, it is completely disappointing to see it nominated while Happy Endings is off the list. HE has stellar writing – very witty with all the pop cult references, and it doesn’t take a genius to notice that New Girl has some problem with its storyline’s continuity. And please, I love Zooey Deschanel no matter how many people think she’s overrated, but there is no way she’s more of an effective comedian than Eliza Coupe (Jane) and Casey Wilson (Penny). I won’t bother with Community and Parks and Rec anymore. We all know how awesome they are, and we all know how big of a shame it is that the Globes have been snubbing them since time immemorial. But hey, at least they got Homeland plus its compelling leads right. In your face, SAG!

• Amy says:

I don’t know whats happening to this world when Glee and New Girl get nominated over Community, Parks and Rec and Happy Endings. You’re right. I shouldn’t bother with Community and Parks and Rec anymore. We know they’re too awesome to be nominated.

• DL says:

Completely agree with you! New Girl is funny enough, but Happy Endings is consistently hilarious, often funnier than the Modern Family episode that preceded it. At least it’s up in the ratings this season and a shoe-in for renewal. Let’s hope the Emmys with expanded Supporting categories are more kind. I would love to see Damon Wayans Jr., Adam Pally, Eliza Coupe, and Casey Wilson all get noms.

• Alex says:

Happy Endings has some of the best cast chemistry on tv that I have witnessed in a long, long time. Writing is stellar. Comedic timing is genius. Such an underrated show. I tried watching the New Girl and it lost me after 2 episodes.

24. Common sense says:

I have to laugh at people who sincerely thought Darren Criss would even be nominated for GG, let alone any ACTING awards. The real tragedy here is that Jane, Lea and Chris were not nominated. How bad does your show fall out of grace with voters that the reigning winners in the supportive categories can’t even get a nom the proceeding year. I do believe Lea Michele will win an award one day, just when she is on a better project that won’t give her the garbage she has been working with for 2 seasons now.

25. Brent says:

But you think Chris Colfer, Darren Chris, and Lea Michelle are funny?

26. Rock Golf says:

Of the 10 nominees for Best Actor or Actress in a Drama, exactly one came from a Big 4 broadcast network series. AMC has more nominations in those categories than ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox combined.

• H8 Stupid Comments says:

Learn to read and count:

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
      Madeleine Stowe, Revenge

• Jess says:

your poor counting skills notwithstanding, cable TV has become far more superior than network tv. While there are some amazing actors on network drama shows (Julianna Margulies and Madeleine Stowe as nominated here, and many others: Hugh Laurie, John Noble, etc.), you can’t deny the deep talent pool that networks like HBO, Showtime, AMC has to choose from. Also, writing and production are generally as superb as the acting. Period.

27. Laura says:

*SIGH*
    No Community or Parks & Rec, am i crazy, because i swear these are exceptional comedies, they are HILARIOUS but why don’t the award ceremonies acknowledge them
    And i would prefer a glee actor be nominated, because the show is a pretty big erratic mess and does not induce any laughter, let alone a smirk

28. Jenn says:

I like Johnny Galecki but how does he get the nomination over Jim Parsons…..and I had no idea Matt LeBlanc was even back on TV!…I do not understand the people who pick the nominations

29. Tiva4Life says:

I hope *Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey* wins and *Downton Abby*wins as Best Drama Miniseries.

30. Julia says:

Glee, New Girl and Episode…really? Where are the good comedies? Parks, 30 Rock, Community…?

31. Megan says:

I’m sad because of no love for Sons of Anarchy or Justified.

32. fernando says:

Congrats to Madeleine Stowe, Revenge should have be nom. for best drama series.

• ChrisGa says:

So glad Madeleine Stowe got recognized. She’s pure genius in what is shaping up to be the best new show of the season.

33. Susan says:

A lot of people keep bringing up Happy Endings, I don’t get it. I tried to watch several episodes because everyone was raving about it, I just sat there waiting for it to become funny, too bad it never did.

34. Alia says:

Game of Thrones deserves MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

35. fernando says:

I’m okay with some of these nominations but many were snub, were Revnge in a drama series, wheres Gabriel Mann for Supporting Actor, where’s Emily Van der Camp for Actess, yes I love that Madeleine Stowe is honored and could win and I hope she do but Emily deserve to be on there as much or more then most of the actress on there.

Dana Delany derserves to be on as Actess in a drama series, She is the shining star of Body Of Proof.

I know many won’t agree with me but I think for the last time, The Desperate Housewives cast should be honored. At least Marcia Cross for Drama Actress, she does Drama best.

Happy Endings should be nom. for comedy and take out the awful Glee.

Where Rizzoli & Isles, Sasha Alexandra derserve, supporting actress.

• judy says:

Agree about Revenge. How can you nominate Madeleine Stowe and not Emily. They are the best when acting together and Emily is the lead actress in the show!
      Also agree re: Rizzoli & Isles, both ladies deserve a nomination.

36. noname says:

Much better nominees than SAG awards. Awards like these are stupid but I think Ricky Gervais is gonna kill it! That’s why I van’t wait to watch.

37. Helena says:

I’m so very glad ‘The Hour’ has been recognised. However, I do think Ben Whishaw is more deserving of a nomination than Dominic West. He’s the standout for me. I’m rooting for Romola Garai, I enjoyed Mildred Pierce but I feel as if Kate Winset may just win because she’s Kate Winslet. I’m very fond of her work but I think Romola is just as talented and deserving, and it’s about time she was awarded.

• Mico says:

“…I enjoyed Mildred Pierce but I feel as if Kate Winset may just win because she’s Kate Winslet” — THIS. Someone noticed the elephant in the room finally! HAHA

38. Melanie says:

Can someone please explain to me WHY on earth Glee was nominated?!? I genuinely don’t understand. Someone please explain. Because with shows like Community and Parks & Rec snubbed for garbage like Glee.. it’s unbelievable. I don’t think New Girl should be nominated either. It has potential but it’s not there yet.
    And to those complaining about Glee actors not being nominated, that’s one of the few things they did right. Chris and Lea are both overrated.

39. Jay says:

I’m happy Amy Poehler got a nom, but no love for Parks. Seriously?? Glee and New Girl?? Don’t get it.

I’m happy Homeland got recognition, though. Hoping they win in all their categories. Sad to see no Breaking Bad nom and no nom for Aaron Paul.

40. Christine says:

It is hard to take these awards seriously when they overlooks Sons of Anarchy.

41. Musica1 says:

Agreed. Or Community or Psych. When was the last time anybody laughed until they cried at Glee? Obviously those shows aren’t well connected enough.

42. RLN says:

Where is Justified?!?!?!

43. Eliz says:

I love how few network television shows have a nom.

Out of the Genre = 3/10 (none for Drama!)
    Out of the Acting = 9/30

Hello?! There’s something wrong here.

• Aly says:

Network television has to appeal to the masses and has to be more careful not to offend whereas cable has more leeway, creative license. And actors can only perform as well as the material they are given.

That, and the overabundance of crime procedurals and generic sitcoms makes it harder to stand out from the pack.

That, and they apparently snub the few original shows on basic TV, maybe because the networks don’t like it when shows they are about to pull for low ratings get recognized because it makes them look worse when they pull them.

44. Robin says:

I really don’t understand what is going on in the comedy category. Im a fan of glee but it’s not the same black comedy it used to be in season 1. I barely laugh when its on. It just seems like a shoe in because of how popular it is. I would have loved to see parks and Recreation or even community get SOME recognition for being amazing shows. Even though Amy Poehler did get the nom and that’s well deserved. Nick offerman for best (supporting) actor!

• Aly says:

I don’t understand why people don’t know that it’s the Comedy or Musical category. Glee doesn’t deserve a noim because it’s been bad lately not because it’s in the wrong category.

45. Mark says:

Very dissapointed with some of the nominess. Why is Glee still there!?

Really happy for Homeland and American Horror Story. 2 of the best shows this year!

46. Plum says:

Finally some love for Homeland, Damian Lewis and Claire Danes. Glad to see Jessica Lange on this list too, AHS is terrific family drama that just happens to be a gruesome horror story. There is no better metaphor for dysfunctional family life than a good old fashioned monster movie.

47. LaurenMC says:

I can’t believe Breaking Bad wasn’t nominated for Best Drama and that Aaron Paul was left out of Supporting Actor. That’s just pure madness. I also find it particularly irritating that Parenthood is consistently snubbed by all awards programs. I am excited for Homeland though!

48. kelly says:

Disgraceful for Michael Pitt not to be nominated after his amazing work this season on Boardwalk Empire.

49. Martina says:

wow an all cable short list best drama, puts the networks to shame

50. Anne says:

I’m sorry but in what friggin universe does Madeline Stowe get nominated for 10 episodes of Revenge & Connie Britton once again gets overlooked for her final season of Friday Night Lights?

The GG nominations look to me like they all but on a blindfold and threw darts at the names and whomever they hit got a nomination.

This is jmo….