Doctor Who to Say Goodbye to Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill

The Doctor will be getting a new friend soon.

Doctor Who‘s current companion Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillan) and her hubby, Rory (Arthur Darvill, far right), will not be returning to the British sci-fi series after the next season, executive producer Steven Moffat announced Thursday at a London press screening.

BBC America Sets Date for Ab Fab Special

“The final days of the Ponds are coming during the next series,” said Moffat, according to the show’s official Twitter feed. “Then The Doctor will meet a new friend.”

Moffat also hinted that Amy and Rory’s daughter River Song (Alex Kingston) will likely be back.

The Christmas special Doctor Who: The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe airs stateside Dec. 25 at 9/8c on BBC America.

Who fans, how are you feeling about the news of Amy and Rory’s departure? And who should play the Doctor’s new companion?

1. fan says:

sad but to be expected. Companions never stay long.

• alyssa897 says:

Exactly. I love the Ponds, but we already know they won’t be around forever. I just hope they aren’t killed off because that would make four tragic endings in only five companions: Rose, Donna, Amy and Rory. Not a very good track record.

• Megan says:

you forgot Martha.

• Tess says:

Technically, hard to call Rose or Donna’s endings tragis since neither died. Sure, Rose is stuck in a parallel world and Donna has no memory of her time with the Doctor, but both are seemingly living good happy lives just the same. And heck, Rose does have the DoctorDonna to keep her warm so if anything, the girl got the best result of them all.

I never cared much for Amy but I like Rory so I can tolerate her so long as she’s with him (did not like so much the time when she was travelling with the Doctor alone). I was feeling like their story ran its course with the way this past season ended anyway so I’m ready for a new companion, personally. I’m sure River will still show up from time to time too. Just as long as they don’t kill Rory off again (for good) then I’m fine with the change.

• Linh. says:

Agreed. Rose got her happy ending.

I’m also almost certain River will turn up again. Her timeline intertwines with the Doctor. No spoiler though ;P

2. xav says:

My heart will not be able to take it.

3. Danielle says:

Aww… the boy and girl who waited. They’ll be missed… but I hope they come around every now and again like other companions have.

• Rachel says:

Agreed! I grew to love Amy, I didn’t at first, and I hope their story doesn’t end tragically. I also hope they get to raise Melody, at least a little bit!!

4. Aus fan says:

Enough with River Song. I just hated her story line.

5. Elizabeth says:

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Though I suspected as much at the end of the last series. To be honest, while this news is horribly sad for me – Amy & Rory might just be my favorites in my 37 years of watching Doctor Who – I am highly relieved that Doctor Who is actually coming back. I worried that BBC might just move on to something new and leave Doctor Who behind. So thank god it’s coming back! lol!

6. Vinny says:

I had assumed their exit was at the end of Series 6, so this is nothing but good news that they’ll at least be back for the next series.

7. Aus fan says:

David Tenant and Billie Piper will always be my favourite. Still miss them.

8. madhatter says:

At first glance I thought it said they wouldn’t be back for this season, but as long as they are around a little longer and get a proper exit I don’t mind.

9. Brent says:

There’s always someone that hates River Song, but you can put me on the record as a huge River Song fan and supporter, I love every episode she has ever been in and can’t wait to see her again.

10. Andrew says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO, the only good companions since Rose. BRING ROSE BACK!!!!!!

11. Tusk says:

I’m still waiting for the return of “The Doctor’s Daughter”, Jenny. She’s zipping around space, they’re bound to bump into each other.

• Skip says:

You did realize that the girl who played the Doctor’s daughter is Georgia Moffat – daughter of Steven Moffat and engaged to David Tennant (they have a daughter of their own), right?

• S says:

Actually, Georgia Moffett is the daughter of Peter Davison, who played the 5th Doctor. Moffett is Peter’s real surname and there’s no relationship between him and Steven Moffatt..

• Amber says:

I’d like to see that too.

12. Jami says:

Ah, we knew the companions would have to go sooner or later :,-( Doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.
    My nephew may have a breakdown when Matt Smith moves on as the Dr, he is 8 and has asked for Dr Who suits, bow ties, books, etc… I LOVE that he’s enjoying Dr Who but he’s a little obsessed. He sent a letter to Dr Who asking him to attend his birthday party in May! Haha… I’ll break the news gently that Amy & Rory are leaving soon LOL!

13. Massiel says:

Sad but it’s good for the doctor to move on. I wish they bring rose back. Love Billie piper

14. Clarissa says:

crying rn even though I agree it’s time for them to go. I started watching after seeing an adorable Karen Gillan interview on Craig Ferguson so Amy will always be my favorite.

15. Julia says:

I expected it. Honestly, it’s surprising that they’ve been around this long. The question is, will there be a new doctor for the next season?

16. ggny says:

i will miss Amy and Rory but im hoping the new companion is either Hannah Murray or Kaya Scodelario

• Arb says:

I like your thinking ;) It would be amazing if either of them became the next companion. Both of them are awesome actors and would do a great job if they got the part. Plus it’s always great to see Skins kids doing stuff.

17. Leslie says:

Second the wish for Jenny to come back! She was so adorable!

18. Sierra says:

I’m glad they’re leaving. It’s getting old with them constantly around. If I had my wish, Rose Tyler would be back, but:
    1. She wouldn’t be complete without 10.
    2. Steven Moffat hates her.

• Tabor says:

Why does Moffat hate her?

• mags says:

Moffat hates Rose because he didn’t create her. He claims that his 2 creations, River Song and Reinette AKA Madame De Pompadour, are the only true loves of The Doctor’s many lives.

• Michael says:

When will the stupid fangirls realise Doctor Who was NEVER supposed to be about the Doctor’s love life…..until Davies created the God awful Rose/Doc 10 cringe fest.

• Lois says:

“Stupid fangirls”???? Whatever is on the screen is cannon for the show. You may not like that The Doctor has a love life, but that’s part of the show now so get used to it.

Steven Moffat is now Head Writer for the series, and he wrote the love story of The Doctor and River Song, making it cannon for the series. He also wrote the episode “Girl In the Fireplace” while RTD was Head Writer. Moffat is the one who has made statements about River and Reinette being the loves of The Doctor’s life.

• Michael says:

2. Steven Moffat hates her.

Anyone with taste does.

19. joe says:

rose didn’t have a sad ending she is living happily with a human doctor and a “chunk of the tardis” zipping about

20. Sita says:

They were fun, but I think continuing their story would be stretching it. River however is a world of mystery. I hope they give us more pieces of her story. Bringing back the doctor’s daughter could be fun too!

21. JAO says:

Aw I will miss them a lot; loved their stories and adventures.

22. Eve says:

GwenCooperGwenCooperGwenCooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Nick bley says:

The Tardis is the star…. Looks cool, sounds cool, bigger on the inside… Plus cybermen, dalek, and the masterall classic dr. who…..regeneration all part of it all… Bring on new companions, a new dr. keep it fresh

24. Nancy says:

They should not even be a part of the upcoming series. Their story is so wrapped up it’s ridiculous.

25. Mikaylah says:

So sad. I love The Ponds. But hopefully The Doctor gets another worthy companion.

26. Snsetblaze says:

How about the actress who played Lady Christina in that one special as the new companion. Or perhap Natalie Dormer who played Ann Boylyn in the Tudors. Or the actress from Primeval (if that series is done). Or Lucy Griffiths from that Robin Hood series.

27. Amber says:

I’m ready for them to go. I liked them, especially Rory, but I feel like the show needs a change after the sixth season.

28. Jessi says:

I will cry when they finally leave, but companions come and go, it’s their thing. Only The Doctor is forever.

Also, I love River. So, so much.

29. kimberly says:

Whoever they get as the new companion, I hope it’s not someone that falls in love with The Doctor/vice versa. I still think his best companion was Donna.

• Alice says:

Catherine Tate was a fabulous companion because there wasn’t a romantic attachment. That being said, if you can’t get enough of Catherine and David, I highly suggest you rent or download DigitalTheatre’s recording of them in Much Ado About Nothing, as Benedick and Beatrice. Their banter is great.
      I’m worried Moffat is going to kill off the Ponds. I understand there needs to be a new companion, but can’t he let them live?

30. Rae says:

I can take not having Any Pond on the T.A.R.D.I.S but I am going to miss Rory. He has become my favourite companion. and I thought no one would be better than Donna

31. Noel says:

Really sad, but expected. I hope there are more male companions as awesome as Rory to follow. I’m going to miss both him and Amy.

Second the idea of Hannah Murray as the new companion–she was briefly considered in the past, after all, wasn’t she?

Otherwise, BRING SALLY SPARROW BACK. Life is short and she’s hot. :P

Or Jenny. She’d be cool, too. A throwback to the early DW years, too. A relative in the Tardis.

32. Alwin says:

New companion:
    Natalie Morales (White Collar, The Middleman, Parks and Rec)

33. Youngman says:

Natalie Morales would make a great companion. The style, the snark, the legggs!

34. mb says:

What about that funny guy who was the Doctor’s ‘roommate’ as a companion? I can’t remember his name but I loved the dynamic between him and Matt. He was in an episode this past season too, so we’ve seen him twice. It’s driving me nuts that I can’t remember his name!

• Alice says:

Craig and Sophie are married with a baby. The Doctor knows better than to take Craig on any adventures. But maybe Stormaggedon will grow up and come along.

35. danleuw says:

Your ALL RIGHT !!!!!

36. Paul says:

I’ve been watching Doctor Who since i was 10 years old,and i find the 11th Doctor(Matt Smith)his the best and his friends Amy and Rory,there is more action and of cause i do love Amy’s scottish accent.

37. Gemini says:

Past time for them to go. New Who has this awful habit of keeping companions around way past the time when they should have left.

38. DrewH says:

Most importantly, this means we’ll finally get rid of that dopey Americanized intro.

• Dalene says:

Amen to getting rid of the intro! Personally, I think he should get some street savvy kid off the streets about age 12 – 14 just to give it a fresh perspective. We’ve had barbarian Leela, we’ve had married couples, we had a robo-dog and we had his grand-daughter. Shake it a up a bit!

39. Andrew Schneider says:

I’ll be very sorry to see the Ponds leave. I’ve always liked Amy as a character, and her chemistry with Matt Smith’s Doctor was one of the things that helped reconcile me to David Tennant’s departure. That said, taking her into Season 7 will give her the longest run of any companion on the new series. Indeed, if we’re counting by seasons instead of by individual episodes, she’ll have had a longer run than all but a handful of companions in the original series. It’s time for Amy and Rory to get on with their lives together.

Hopefully, the “heart-breaking” departure Moffat’s promising won’t be a tragic one. Hopefully, this won’t mean the end of River’s story arc either. And hopefully, whoever becomes the Doctor’s new companion, there won’t be a new version of the Americanized intro framed around her.

40. Doctorwhofan(Lauren) says:

I think if they properly go then it will be a sad moment for me.One of companions the Doctor could have though would probably turn out to be River Song.I liked the Christmas special and it could be awesome if his companion turned out to be the girl out of the Christmas special ‘Lily’.

41. Dana-Lynn Farrell (@DanaLynnFarrell) says:

Next one should be me ;P
    But I am so sad that Amy and Rory are leaving! I love Rory, and obviously I love Amy, who doesn’t. But Rory! So funny!
    *weep*

42. You should be a part of a contest for one of the best blogs online.
    I most certainly will highly recommend this blog!