Doctor Who to Say Goodbye to Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

The Doctor will be getting a new friend soon.

Doctor Who‘s current companion Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillan) and her hubby, Rory (Arthur Darvill, far right), will not be returning to the British sci-fi series after the next season, executive producer Steven Moffat announced Thursday at a London press screening.

BBC America Sets Date for Ab Fab Special

“The final days of the Ponds are coming during the next series,” said Moffat, according to the show’s official Twitter feed. “Then The Doctor will meet a new friend.”

Moffat also hinted that Amy and Rory’s daughter River Song (Alex Kingston) will likely be back.

The Christmas special Doctor Who: The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe airs stateside Dec. 25 at 9/8c on BBC America.

Who fans, how are you feeling about the news of Amy and Rory’s departure? And who should play the Doctor’s new companion?

Comments (94)

• sad but to be expected. Companions never stay long.

Comment by fan – December 15, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I love the Ponds, but we already know they won’t be around forever. I just hope they aren’t killed off because that would make four tragic endings in only five companions: Rose, Donna, Amy and Rory. Not a very good track record.

Comment by alyssa897 – December 15, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you forgot Martha.

Comment by Megan – December 15, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • martha had a happy ending she works for unit with mickey.

Comment by rachel – December 15, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, they both quit UNIT and went freelance.

Comment by Snapy – December 15, 2011 07:15 PM PDT
        • Because she didn’t have a tragic ending. She just kind of got tired of the burden and went off to do her own thing, marrying Mickey.

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 15, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But Martha’s exit wasn’t as tragic, really. At least she got to walk on her own terms.

Comment by jeno – December 15, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually Martha went on to die in Torchwood

Comment by emily – December 16, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Did she really? I don’t watch Torchwood so I didn’t realize. Last I knew Martha was married to Mickey working freelance. What happened?

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 05:06 AM PDT
          • Martha never died on Torchwood or any other series. Her story ended at the end of the Doctor Who episode The End of Time prior to the 10th Doctor regenerating. She was married to Mickey and working freelance. That is the last we’ve ever seen or heard of her.

Comment by Justin – December 16, 2011 06:50 AM PDT
          • Actually, the last time they mentioned her, they said she was on her Honeymoon.

Comment by Brian – December 16, 2011 06:59 AM PDT
      • Technically, hard to call Rose or Donna’s endings tragis since neither died. Sure, Rose is stuck in a parallel world and Donna has no memory of her time with the Doctor, but both are seemingly living good happy lives just the same. And heck, Rose does have the DoctorDonna to keep her warm so if anything, the girl got the best result of them all.

I never cared much for Amy but I like Rory so I can tolerate her so long as she’s with him (did not like so much the time when she was travelling with the Doctor alone). I was feeling like their story ran its course with the way this past season ended anyway so I’m ready for a new companion, personally. I’m sure River will still show up from time to time too. Just as long as they don’t kill Rory off again (for good) then I’m fine with the change.

Comment by Tess – December 15, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. Rose got her happy ending.

I’m also almost certain River will turn up again. Her timeline intertwines with the Doctor. No spoiler though ;P

Comment by Linh. – December 16, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My heart will not be able to take it.

Comment by xav – December 15, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww… the boy and girl who waited. They’ll be missed… but I hope they come around every now and again like other companions have.

Comment by Danielle – December 15, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I grew to love Amy, I didn’t at first, and I hope their story doesn’t end tragically. I also hope they get to raise Melody, at least a little bit!!

Comment by Rachel – December 15, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enough with River Song. I just hated her story line.

Comment by Aus fan – December 15, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love River Song.

Comment by Erica – December 15, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also love River Song. She is a strong, positive character and I really enjoy her interactions with the Doctor! I hope she is his companion for a while, anyway. I’ll miss the Ponds, of course- but long live River Song! She’s good for his ego!

Comment by Gayle – December 23, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved River Song when she was first introduced in “Silence In the Library”/”Forest of the Dead.” But her character changed so much, becoming smug and obnoxious. It doesn’t make sense that she’s a Time Lord because of being conceived in the Tardis. I hope she goes away.

Comment by mags – December 15, 2011 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. She played out.

Comment by Molly – December 16, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yep.

Comment by Dana-Lynn Farrell (@DanaLynnFarrell) – December 30, 2011 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Kimberly – December 16, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Though I suspected as much at the end of the last series. To be honest, while this news is horribly sad for me – Amy & Rory might just be my favorites in my 37 years of watching Doctor Who – I am highly relieved that Doctor Who is actually coming back. I worried that BBC might just move on to something new and leave Doctor Who behind. So thank god it’s coming back! lol!

Comment by Elizabeth – December 15, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had assumed their exit was at the end of Series 6, so this is nothing but good news that they’ll at least be back for the next series.

Comment by Vinny – December 15, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Tenant and Billie Piper will always be my favourite. Still miss them.

Comment by Aus fan – December 15, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed :(

Comment by Liz S. – December 15, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I also miss Catherine Tate.

Comment by mags – December 15, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, loved Rose and the 10th doctor. I wish they’d done a spin off with the two of them in the alternate universe. I miss Donna too.

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. Rose and 10 were my absolute favorites ever. A spin off would have been fantastic

Comment by Dana-Lynn Farrell (@DanaLynnFarrell) – December 30, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Always! I thought Christpher Eggleston was fantastic and he was. But then came David Tennant. He will always be the Doctor to me. Perfect in the role in every way!

Comment by louise – December 16, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally agree

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Eccleston!

I can’t choose favorites. They’re all “My Doctor”. I bow to the BBC.

Comment by Alwin – December 16, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first glance I thought it said they wouldn’t be back for this season, but as long as they are around a little longer and get a proper exit I don’t mind.

Comment by madhatter – December 15, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s always someone that hates River Song, but you can put me on the record as a huge River Song fan and supporter, I love every episode she has ever been in and can’t wait to see her again.

Comment by Brent – December 15, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOO, the only good companions since Rose. BRING ROSE BACK!!!!!!

Comment by Andrew – December 15, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t see Rose with 11. But I expect to see Rose and 10 1/2 back for the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who in 2013.

Comment by mags – December 15, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still waiting for the return of “The Doctor’s Daughter”, Jenny. She’s zipping around space, they’re bound to bump into each other.

Comment by Tusk – December 15, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You did realize that the girl who played the Doctor’s daughter is Georgia Moffat – daughter of Steven Moffat and engaged to David Tennant (they have a daughter of their own), right?

Comment by Skip – December 15, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, Georgia Moffett is the daughter of Peter Davison, who played the 5th Doctor. Moffett is Peter’s real surname and there’s no relationship between him and Steven Moffatt..

Comment by S – December 15, 2011 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to see that too.

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, we knew the companions would have to go sooner or later :,-( Doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.
    My nephew may have a breakdown when Matt Smith moves on as the Dr, he is 8 and has asked for Dr Who suits, bow ties, books, etc… I LOVE that he’s enjoying Dr Who but he’s a little obsessed. He sent a letter to Dr Who asking him to attend his birthday party in May! Haha… I’ll break the news gently that Amy & Rory are leaving soon LOL!

Comment by Jami – December 15, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is so adorable!

Comment by kimberly – December 16, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad but it’s good for the doctor to move on. I wish they bring rose back. Love Billie piper

Comment by Massiel – December 15, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • crying rn even though I agree it’s time for them to go. I started watching after seeing an adorable Karen Gillan interview on Craig Ferguson so Amy will always be my favorite.

Comment by Clarissa – December 15, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I started watching after seeing Matt Smith on Ferguson. Tennant and Rose are my favorites though.

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I expected it. Honestly, it’s surprising that they’ve been around this long. The question is, will there be a new doctor for the next season?

Comment by Julia – December 15, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i will miss Amy and Rory but im hoping the new companion is either Hannah Murray or Kaya Scodelario

Comment by ggny – December 15, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like your thinking ;) It would be amazing if either of them became the next companion. Both of them are awesome actors and would do a great job if they got the part. Plus it’s always great to see Skins kids doing stuff.

Comment by Arb – December 16, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Second the wish for Jenny to come back! She was so adorable!

Comment by Leslie – December 15, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they’re leaving. It’s getting old with them constantly around. If I had my wish, Rose Tyler would be back, but:
    1. She wouldn’t be complete without 10.
    2. Steven Moffat hates her.

Comment by Sierra – December 15, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why does Moffat hate her?

Comment by Tabor – December 15, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Moffat hates Rose because he didn’t create her. He claims that his 2 creations, River Song and Reinette AKA Madame De Pompadour, are the only true loves of The Doctor’s many lives.

Comment by mags – December 15, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When will the stupid fangirls realise Doctor Who was NEVER supposed to be about the Doctor’s love life…..until Davies created the God awful Rose/Doc 10 cringe fest.

Comment by Michael – December 16, 2011 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “Stupid fangirls”???? Whatever is on the screen is cannon for the show. You may not like that The Doctor has a love life, but that’s part of the show now so get used to it.

Steven Moffat is now Head Writer for the series, and he wrote the love story of The Doctor and River Song, making it cannon for the series. He also wrote the episode “Girl In the Fireplace” while RTD was Head Writer. Moffat is the one who has made statements about River and Reinette being the loves of The Doctor’s life.

Comment by Lois – December 16, 2011 11:13 AM PDT
    • 2. Steven Moffat hates her.

Anyone with taste does.

Comment by Michael – December 16, 2011 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bless this post.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 19, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rose didn’t have a sad ending she is living happily with a human doctor and a “chunk of the tardis” zipping about

Comment by joe – December 15, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They were fun, but I think continuing their story would be stretching it. River however is a world of mystery. I hope they give us more pieces of her story. Bringing back the doctor’s daughter could be fun too!

Comment by Sita – December 15, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw I will miss them a lot; loved their stories and adventures.

Comment by JAO – December 15, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GwenCooperGwenCooperGwenCooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Eve – December 15, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oohh…totally never thought of that. She would be perfect…’cept for Rhys and the baby…

Comment by CascadePD – December 17, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So perfect. Wow.

Comment by Dana-Lynn Farrell (@DanaLynnFarrell) – December 30, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Tardis is the star…. Looks cool, sounds cool, bigger on the inside… Plus cybermen, dalek, and the masterall classic dr. who…..regeneration all part of it all… Bring on new companions, a new dr. keep it fresh

Comment by Nick bley – December 15, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should not even be a part of the upcoming series. Their story is so wrapped up it’s ridiculous.

Comment by Nancy – December 15, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It did seem like they finished Amy and Rory’s story with The Doctor.

Comment by mags – December 15, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed.

Comment by M – December 16, 2011 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. I love The Ponds. But hopefully The Doctor gets another worthy companion.

Comment by Mikaylah – December 15, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about the actress who played Lady Christina in that one special as the new companion. Or perhap Natalie Dormer who played Ann Boylyn in the Tudors. Or the actress from Primeval (if that series is done). Or Lucy Griffiths from that Robin Hood series.

Comment by Snsetblaze – December 15, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lady Christina is Michelle Ryan, who played on the new Bionic Woman series a couple of years ago. I’d love to see her as the new companion, but I don’t think it will happen.

Comment by Skip – December 15, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No thanks. Terrible character played by an even worse actress.

Comment by Michael – December 16, 2011 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m ready for them to go. I liked them, especially Rory, but I feel like the show needs a change after the sixth season.

Comment by Amber – December 16, 2011 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will cry when they finally leave, but companions come and go, it’s their thing. Only The Doctor is forever.

Also, I love River. So, so much.

Comment by Jessi – December 16, 2011 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoever they get as the new companion, I hope it’s not someone that falls in love with The Doctor/vice versa. I still think his best companion was Donna.

Comment by kimberly – December 16, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Catherine Tate was a fabulous companion because there wasn’t a romantic attachment. That being said, if you can’t get enough of Catherine and David, I highly suggest you rent or download DigitalTheatre’s recording of them in Much Ado About Nothing, as Benedick and Beatrice. Their banter is great.
      I’m worried Moffat is going to kill off the Ponds. I understand there needs to be a new companion, but can’t he let them live?

Comment by Alice – December 16, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can take not having Any Pond on the T.A.R.D.I.S but I am going to miss Rory. He has become my favourite companion. and I thought no one would be better than Donna

Comment by Rae – December 16, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sad, but expected. I hope there are more male companions as awesome as Rory to follow. I’m going to miss both him and Amy.

Second the idea of Hannah Murray as the new companion–she was briefly considered in the past, after all, wasn’t she?

Otherwise, BRING SALLY SPARROW BACK. Life is short and she’s hot. :P

Or Jenny. She’d be cool, too. A throwback to the early DW years, too. A relative in the Tardis.

Comment by Noel – December 16, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed on Sally Sparrow. That would be awesome.

Comment by chris – December 16, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Sally Sparrow” AKA Carey Mulligan, has gone on to be a movie star. I don’t think she’ll be back on TV any time soon.

Comment by Lois – December 16, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New companion:
    Natalie Morales (White Collar, The Middleman, Parks and Rec)

Comment by Alwin – December 16, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Natalie Morales would make a great companion. The style, the snark, the legggs!

Comment by Youngman – December 16, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about that funny guy who was the Doctor’s ‘roommate’ as a companion? I can’t remember his name but I loved the dynamic between him and Matt. He was in an episode this past season too, so we’ve seen him twice. It’s driving me nuts that I can’t remember his name!

Comment by mb – December 16, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Craig and Sophie are married with a baby. The Doctor knows better than to take Craig on any adventures. But maybe Stormaggedon will grow up and come along.

Comment by Alice – December 16, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your ALL RIGHT !!!!!

Comment by danleuw – December 16, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching Doctor Who since i was 10 years old,and i find the 11th Doctor(Matt Smith)his the best and his friends Amy and Rory,there is more action and of cause i do love Amy’s scottish accent.

Comment by Paul – December 16, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Past time for them to go. New Who has this awful habit of keeping companions around way past the time when they should have left.

Comment by Gemini – December 17, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most importantly, this means we’ll finally get rid of that dopey Americanized intro.

Comment by DrewH – December 19, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to getting rid of the intro! Personally, I think he should get some street savvy kid off the streets about age 12 – 14 just to give it a fresh perspective. We’ve had barbarian Leela, we’ve had married couples, we had a robo-dog and we had his grand-daughter. Shake it a up a bit!

Comment by Dalene – December 24, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be very sorry to see the Ponds leave. I’ve always liked Amy as a character, and her chemistry with Matt Smith’s Doctor was one of the things that helped reconcile me to David Tennant’s departure. That said, taking her into Season 7 will give her the longest run of any companion on the new series. Indeed, if we’re counting by seasons instead of by individual episodes, she’ll have had a longer run than all but a handful of companions in the original series. It’s time for Amy and Rory to get on with their lives together.

Hopefully, the “heart-breaking” departure Moffat’s promising won’t be a tragic one. Hopefully, this won’t mean the end of River’s story arc either. And hopefully, whoever becomes the Doctor’s new companion, there won’t be a new version of the Americanized intro framed around her.

Comment by Andrew Schneider – December 26, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think if they properly go then it will be a sad moment for me.One of companions the Doctor could have though would probably turn out to be River Song.I liked the Christmas special and it could be awesome if his companion turned out to be the girl out of the Christmas special ‘Lily’.

Comment by Doctorwhofan(Lauren) – December 27, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next one should be me ;P
    But I am so sad that Amy and Rory are leaving! I love Rory, and obviously I love Amy, who doesn’t. But Rory! So funny!
    *weep*

Comment by Dana-Lynn Farrell (@DanaLynnFarrell) – December 30, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post