America's Got Talent Officially Adds Howard Stern

It’s official: Howard Stern is America’s Got Talent‘s new judge.

NBC announced Thursday the addition of the shock jock — who will replace Piers Morgan and join current critiquers Sharon Osbourne and Howie Mandel — for the summer reality series’ upcoming seventh season.

“Howard Stern’s larger-than-life personality will bring a thrilling new dynamic to America’s Got Talent starting this summer,” NBC’s President of Alternative and Late Night Programming, Paul Telegdy, said in a statement Thursday. “He’s a proven innovator and his track record in broadcasting is truly remarkable. Howard is very passionate about this show and is fully committed to its future success.”

Production of AGT‘s live shows will now relocate to New York to accommodate the schedule of Stern’s daily SiriusXM radio program.

Comments (32)

• I don’t know if Howard and Howie together will be amazing, or like watching a disastrous collision of comedy one-upmanship.

Comment by DL – December 15, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly you’ve never heard Howie’s interviews on Howard’s show. Both Howie and Sharon are old friends of Howard’s, and have great chemistry with him.

This is going to be epic.

Comment by Matt – December 15, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am kinda bummed I have to watch this show now. Love Howard. Will watch anything he does.

Comment by Samantha F – December 15, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never liked AGT but will absolutely watch now that howard is on :) at least he’ll be honest & won’t sugar coat things

Comment by howardfan – December 15, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Sharon Osborne L.A. based? So they are inconveniencing her to accommodate Howard? She also has a daily job, The Talk.

Comment by Marley – December 15, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. Screw the judge who’s been there a few years to accommodate the new judge. Stern is popular, yes, but he’s also polarizing, so he may not be embraced by some viewers. Poor Sharon, he schedule just got insane.

Comment by Ed – December 15, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad this show is now not part of my Summer TV watching. As big a megalomaniac as Piers is, there was something endearing and relevant about him. Howard is an equally as big a megalomaniac, but completely irrelevant in pop culture today and this feels like a desperate move by him after a decade of failing to get hired by Idol.

Comment by JackMeower – December 15, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stern hasn’t been funny or interesting for almost a decade now. He phones in his Sirius show and takes off more days than he works. He’s irrelevant. Ron & Fez, 11 to 3.

Comment by Brad – December 15, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Irrevelant? Little shortsighted aren’t we, Jack?

Comment by Cornflakeguy – December 15, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m out.

Comment by blingedup.susan – December 15, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sharon and Howie live in LA, so two get uprooted to accommodate Stern

Comment by WKD2 – December 15, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not new that Howard said the show would need to come to New York and Howie has told everyone that would listen that AGT needs Howard.

Comment by Dave – December 15, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty surprised by this. I never thought Howard Stern would be given an opportunity to judge a show like this – let alone be on broadcast tv live! That’s worth watching just for that! I like Howard but not really sure what he will be like as a judge. I wonder if he will try to be funny or mean?

Comment by David – December 15, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Howard on AGT! Now I’m dropping AGT from my watch list!

Comment by James – December 15, 2011 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that is it for me when it comes to talent competitions. This was the only one I watched ever, and now that is done.
    I give it one more season on the air, and only 2-3 shows before the producers realize what a colossal mistake they made.

Comment by MacBeth – December 15, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I will never watch again. Couldn’t stand Howard Stern in DC, NY, and on the television. Stupid decision picking him.

Comment by Pennagirl – December 15, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I was totally going to stop watching this season. But with Howard on I will have to set a season pass. I know several people that have never seen one single AGT that will now watch for Howard.

Comment by Dvd – December 15, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of Howards. Last year Howie was very annoying. Not sure I want to watch anymore.

Comment by Beany53 – December 15, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Howard Stern? Seriously?? There are so many people that are better suited to judge. And to uproot Sharon, Howie and their families to accommodate Stern – what are they thinking? Sharon and Howie both have other shows they are involved in. Why don’t they count? AGT has some explaining to do!

Comment by CLV – December 15, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show! Now it has been ruined by hiring Stern, I wiil not watch it any longer. If Howie and Sharon are smart they will abandon the show too.

Comment by tv-lover – December 15, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. My wife and I cannot believe the show that discovered Jackie Evancho, our all-time, favorite reality show winner, has to resort to this.

Comment by gregk – December 15, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sharon owes her fame to howard…osbornes was his idea and he had her on with Ozzy for years before she was anme star. Howie is a super fan who listens everyday. they are thrilled and wont be gong anywhere

Comment by rob – December 15, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really know who he is. Looks like a goofball to me. I love this show and I’m sure he’ll be a poor replacement for piers.

Comment by marlo – December 15, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen a single episode of this show, bu I’ll make a point to watch it now. Love Howard, so I’m anxious to see how well he does at this. Unfortunately many people who bash him know nothing about him nor what he’s like on the radio nowadays. All they know is his reputation, which isn’t all that great. But I’m betting that this will end up being a great thing for AGT and for Howard himself. :)

Comment by Beth – December 15, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beth no one knows what Howard is like on the radio anymore because he only works about 15 days per year.

Comment by JackMeower – December 15, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was not one of my regular show to watch, but I can guarantee I will not watch now. I can’t stand Howard Stern. What does he know about talent other than sex and profanity?

Comment by TrulyRoxie – December 15, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well now I know what show I WON’T be watching.

Comment by Linda – December 15, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The people that say Howard is only capable of judging sex and profanity obviously do not listen to his show. There are those aspects, but he is also very funny and has softened over the years. His mark on radio cannot be discounted. He has truly been copied by everyone on radio. He is smart enough to know that the audience watching this show will not be looking for lowbrow, insulting humor. Give him a chance, and then make your decision.

Comment by Jeff the Drunk – December 15, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely be watching the show now. The majority of the people who say they hate Howard don’t have any idea what he’s really like, and all they know is his reputation, which is blown way out of proportion. In reality he is a loyal family man who works hard and raises a lot of money for North Shore Animal League. I love Howard and I can’t wait to see him on AGT.

Comment by Marissa – December 15, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares about who hosts it? It’s a boring talent show among the far too many already on tv. Didn’t watch it before, won’t watch it now.

Comment by billk – December 16, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MY MY MY !!!! LOOK AT ALL THE HATE!!!!! WELL HATE=RATINGS=MONEY… DON”T BELIEVE IT JUST GO BACK AND CK IT OUT WITH THAT RAP BRAT “ASTRO” FOR THAT BS SHOW X FACTOR…. THE MORE WE HATED HIM THE MORE WE WERE WATCHING THAT BS SHOW JUST TO SEE THE BRAT GET KICKED OFF!!!!!! JUST SAYING!!!! IT”S ALL ABOUT THE RATINGS…. I DON”T LIKE HOWARD… NEVER DID, BUT WHO KNOWS????? LET”S FACE IT THESE BS REALITY? SHOWS AND RIGGED SO CALLED TALENT SHOWS…HOWARD IS ALOT THINGS BUT BS IS “NOT” ONE OF THEM… HE JUST MIGHT BRING SOMETHING NEW TO THIS SHOW…. HONESTY!!!!!!! NO BS……. LET”S JUST SEE… I’LL WATCH IT….

Comment by MAE FISH – December 25, 2011 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post