The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching Wednesday

On TV this Wednesday: Criminal Minds‘ Hotch says hello to a new lady, CSI‘s Catherine starts to say goodbye, comical commercials, a dead-serious Horror Story twist, supposedly “fascinating” people and more. Here are 11 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm Survivor: South Pacific (CBS) | Tensions escalate when the final five original Upolu members are forced to turn on each other (as opposed to “turn each other on,” which is an entirely different reality series). Next stop: Sunday’s season finale!

8 pm The X Factor (Fox) | The final…um… [Help me out here, Slezak….] “four” perform! The final four!

TVLine Presents Your Guide to Fall Finale and Winter Return Dates

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | The BAU enters the Philadelphia boxing ring as they investigate a string of brutal bludgeonings; Hotch makes a connection with an attractive art curator (Dirty Sexy Money‘s Bellamy Young) as they both train for a triathlon (watch a promo below). Southland‘s Shawn Hotosy and Emmy winner Charles S. Dutton also guest-star.

9:30 pm I Hate My Teenage Daughter (Fox) | Free pass, Week 2: “Matt vows to be more involved in Sophie’s life!” (I have no idea who Sophie is, so I am pretty much doomed to fail.)

9:30 pm Barbara Walters Presents The 10 Most Fascinating People Of 2011 (ABC) | Find a partial list here, and weep that the boorish Kardashian clan somehow made the cut.

The TVLine Staff Has Questions About Modern Family, Revenge and Many Other Shows

10 pm CSI (CBS) | When the body of a naked dead man is discovered by Dr. Robbins’ wife in their master bedroom, it leads to a lot of questions. The episode is also being touted as the beginning of series vet Marg Helgenberger’s farewell storyline.

10 pm State of Play (BBC America) | After the murder of Detective Inspector Brown, the Metropolitan Police puts Detective Chief Inspector Bell on the investigation; Stephen Collins‘ story becomes more complicated when an anonymous fax reveals that his affair with Sonia was far from being superficial.

10 pm American Horror Story (FX) | Per FX: Vivien gives birth, while Violet looks into ridding the house of some particular ghosts. Per me: Someone’s gonna really, really, really want an epidural.

10 pm Psych (USA Network) | Midseason finale: Shawn and Juliet’s romantic getaway vacation is interrupted when their hotel room is robbed and a dead body surfaces at a nearby winery.

10 pm Funniest Commercials of the Year (TBS) | Isaiah “Old Spice pitchman” Mustafa hosts this retrospective. Look again, this column is now diamonds!

10 pm Hot in Cleveland (TV Land) | While teaching the gals how to go “funeral crashing,” Elka reunites with a man from her past (Frasier‘s John Mahoney).

Which of the above is must-see TV for you?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Michael says:

Criminal Minds,CSI and Psych are what I will be wacthing

Criminal Minds- I know people are going to be piss at Hotch but you know if he die and Haley was alive she would of already gotten remarried by now.

CSI-I see CSI going the Law and Order road

Psych- I love these show it has gotten so much better since season 1

• Saint Alicia says:

Hotch and Haley were over as soon as she made the ultimatum for him to stay home from a case in season 3. Her position never changed and he was always steadfastly committed to the job; no reconciliation was coming.
      Although, H/P will be together ~someday~ :)

• Sandra says:

Will watch Criminal Minds and I’m really happy that Hotch is
      getting a new love interest! Very glad there will be no H/P
      as it makes no sense for those characters to get together.
      Hotch would never sleep with a subordinate, goes against who
      the character is, total G-Man who follows the rules unless
      a team member is in danger. Prentiss work too hard to get
      into the BAU despite her mother’s name and connections to have
      any suspicions casted her way if she was sleeping with Hotch.
      It would open her to people speculations whenever she got a
      promotions or any good reviews.

2. CJ says:

Is John Mahoney playing the same character he played last season (a waiter at their favorite bar who snarked all their dates)? That would technically be “from Elka’s past” but that wouldn’t be how most people would describe him.

3. hanna says:

Interested to see if Violet will be able to rid the house of certain ghosts, being one herself. Maybe this will give more clarity on the house rules re: moving on.

4. CJ says:

Re: The Kardashians on Barbara Walters’s special–I agree that they aren’t the least bit “fascinating,” but I don’t blame her for including them. She almost has to include them, considering the tenor of these year-end specials. They are basically intended to sum up the year in mainstream news coverage slash gossip, which has been saturated with discussion of the Kardashians. If she didn’t include them, it would undermine the “tradition” of the “Most Fascinating People” specials.

5. Sofia says:

Criminal Minds is not worth watching this week, unless you wanna see something completely out of character, because there is no way in the world that a BAU profiler, worse, Unit Chief of the BAU would be okay about being “stalked” by a woman he never met. The writers are making Hotch look like a horny dumb teenager. It’s disgusting!

• Michael says:

Since when is talking to a person on a street Stalking if so I stalked a lot of people

• Maria says:

Sadly, the one that sounds like a “dumb teenager” trowing a temper tantrum is you, you and a handful of H/P shippers that have already condemned Hotch and his friend just because the show is sticking to what they promised since the pilot, no pairing between main characters.

And the fact that she saw a man she liked, admired him from afar, and learned several little details about him while doing so, before she built up the courage to approach him doesn’t a stalker make! What’s more, any fan of Criminal Minds should be able to differentiate a stalker from a normal admirer by now, but… oh, yes, for some suddenly the show is only worth paying attention if Hotch and Prentiss are together and ready to get all dovey-lovey.

• Sofia says:

Who said anything about Prentiss? I didn’t! Do not put words in my mouth.
        What happened in that sneak peek is completely out of character for Hotch. Anyone who has watched the series from the beginning knows that he is not the kind of man who goes and talks to someone like that in the first time they meet, not even when he was married to Haley. He is a very closed, reserved person. And what I saw there was not Hotch!
        Plus, I do not have to be a H/P shipper to dislike Hotch’s love interest. There are a lot of people who don’t ship H/P or H/R or H/JJ who don’t like this romance idea. Just in case you don’t know, H/P is not the only ship on the show, Hotch is shipped with every character but himself, it’s just the one people decide to put the blame on everytime something happens.
        I, as a non-shipper, see all the parts.

• Justin says:

You say that like Hotch being a little out of character is a bad thing. If that’s the case, then you need a serious reality check. It’s perfectly fine for Hotch, even as reserved as he is (in the office, not outside of it), to talk to another woman who he’s never met, since people meet others who they’ve never met -uh- all the time! Besides, what do expect him to do? Given your interpretation of his character, he’s practically destined to be alone for a long time. By the way, svery episode of Criminal Minds is worth watching, not just the ones where Hotch is “in character”. Geez!!

• Amy says:

Agreed with you Justin, Just because he is reserve
            don’t mean that when approach he would not respond! What would be
            VERY out of character was if Hotch hit the bars and tried to
            pick up women! Let’s not forget, it was Hotch who did join a
            theater production in high school so he could talk to Haley, so
            going by Sofia’s definition of stalking then Hotch also did
            stalk Haley!

• Maria says:

Sorry to disappoint, but I haven’t said you are a H/P shipper, nor I’ve implied you were thinking of Prentiss when you wrote your fist comment. If you bother to re-read what I’ve written, all I’m saying is that you’re sounding like some H/P shippers.

And no, he doesn’t act all lovey-dovey usually, neither does he in that preview; he’s surprised, at a loss about how to react… and after he recovers a little bit (probably because he doesn’t notice any bad signs coming from her) is when he starts playing along and barely manages not to screw it! All of that is completely in-character with Aaron, the man outside the FBI suit we got to see in the first seasons when he was with Haley and still happily married.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Now, now, to be fair he did look at BIT wigged out/bothered. And hey, maybe she WILL turn out to be a loon. But she’s pretty, so all is forgiven :)

6. Jess says:

I want to like I hate my teenage daughter because I LOVE Eric Sheffer Stevens (and Jaime Pressly) but it’s a pretty crappy show. There are some funny parts but anything with the 2 girls are painful! Can we please find some better jobs for the talented actors on that show? Thanks, Santa!

7. Joe says:

Note to Matt: CBS procedurals are NEVER worth watching, no matter how much favor you wish to earn with the people creating them.

8. King says:

So what TV shows are worth watching for you Joe? Jersey Shore? Real Housewives or any other crap from Bravo?

Many of procedurals are worth watching. Not alot of people have regular time to watch TV and procedurals are easy go to of you want something.

9. Lisa says:

American Horror Story

10. Sue says:

Criminal Minds and American Horror Story for me…

11. Eliza says:

Psych!!! Shawn & Gus, always :)

12. kevin says:

Hope tonight’s X FACTOR will recover from Rachel Crow’s emotional sendoff and Fox better have a very good chance to pull the plug on I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER after it’s over and won’t make it ’til the start of mid-season TV.

13. Justin says:

Criminal Minds, CSI, and Psych for me tonight.

14. Meghan says:

Psych and State of Play.

15. jenna says:

I can’t say I will miss her character all that much, but Marg Helgenberger is a class act so I will tune in to watch her final episodes.
    I will definitely tune into AHS. Rosemary’s baby revisited! I love this show.

16. nitemar says:

I will miss her but who can blame Marg. She needs a rest after so many great years, but the show hasn’t been the same since Petersen left, only watched because she was still there. AHS is a must see specially tonight’s episode! :)

17. Richard says:

1. American Horror Story is crazy awesome

2 Psych is great, cant wait for the next “Desperaux” episode.

3 CSI has been pretty good with Ted Dansen. Who cares if Catherine is leaving.

NCIS has always been awesome.

18. Sophie says:

Nothin’ but good old SVU for me.