Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations: Modern Family Leads Pack, Homeland and Sons Snubbed

Nominations for the 18th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were announced on Wednesday morning, and ABC’s lovable Modern Family bested all comers with a total of five nods, including Outstanding Comedy Ensemble. Dexter and 30 Rock followed with three nominations each.

Notably shut out from the proceedings are Sons of Anarchy, Homeland (including Claire Danes), Parks and Recreation and Community. The eligibility period was the 2011 calendar year.

The SAG Awards will be broadcast Jan. 29 on TNT/TBS. Check out this full list of TV nominees, then share your raves and rants in the Comments! Coming Thursday morning: the Golden Globe nominations.

DRAMA SERIES — ENSEMBLE
Boardwalk Empire (won last year)
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife

DRAMA SERIES — MALE ACTOR
Patrick J. Adams, Suits
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire (won last year)
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter

DRAMA SERIES — FEMALE ACTOR
Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law
Glenn Close, Damages
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Julianna Margules, The Good Wife (won last year)
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

COMEDY SERIES — ENSEMBLE
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
Modern Family (won last year)
The Office

COMEDY SERIES — MALE ACTOR
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (won last year)
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Steve Carell, The Office
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family

COMEDY SERIES — FEMALE ACTOR
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot In Cleveland (won last year)

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES — MALE ACTOR

Betty White, The Lost Valentine
Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce

STUNT ENSEMBLE
Dexter (Showtime)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Southland (TNT)
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (Starz)
True Blood (HBO)

(Nominees for the film categories can be found here.)

1. Diane says:

Wasnt’ Justified on in 2011? No Timothy Olyphant? No Margo Martindale?

2. Jim(SoCal) says:

NO S.O.A!!!??

Come on, MAN!

3. Kristen says:

WHERE. IS. HOMELAND. this list is such a joke.

4. Jamie says:

I love Suits and Patrick Adams, but if any young snarky male in a legal drama deserved a nomination, it’s Matt Czuchry for The Good Wife.

5. Sharon says:

It is so hard to take the SAG awards seriously when their nominations do not include “BEST SUPPORTING.” Anyone know why they limit the number of nominations to five per category? It would make sense for them to seriously reevaluate their awards system to recognize their PAYING members.

I agree that Sons of Anarchy, Homeland and Parks and Rec should be here in the ACTING awards. The actors on these shows are simply at the top of their game.

6. vane says:

Wtf! Parks and recreation is not on and glee is not funny and at all and pmodern family and TBBT stoped being funny last year so don’t agree with this. So am not watching this!

7. Joe says:

Aside from the fantastic Jessica Lange (who deserves to win) this list could have appeared any time in the last 4 years. SAG has proven themselves to be irrelevant and out of touch. The Homeland snub erases any credibility their awards may have once had.

8. Johnn says:

Claireeee Daaaaneees! HOW ON EARTH WAS SHE SNUBBED!???

• jnm says:

I know! It makes me sick that she wasn’t nominated… If Homeland was a Theatrical release her performance would be oscar caliber, she is that good.

9. Andrea says:

Again no Fringe… :-(

10. Ann says:

Yes! Go Patrick J. Adams, I love Suits. Best series to come out this year.

11. A.Rae says:

I have given up home for SOA getting nominated, although it kills me that SAG won’t acknowledge the BEST ensemble cast on TV right now….

12. Catherine says:

I enjoy Suits and Patrick J. Adams, but to say that his performance was better than Charlie Hunnam’s in Sons of Anarchy this season is the most ridiculous I have ever heard. The fact that SOA did not even get a single nomination is appalling.

13. sarah says:

Love that Patrick J Adams is nominated for Suits but Gabriel Macht should have been nominated as well. However my choice to win is Michael C Hall but as long as Boardwalk Empire is on ( I do not get HBO so I do not watch the show but everyone raves about him) then Steve will win.
    I do not get Homeland either BUT I was expecting to see Claire Danes on the list
    My guess for the winners:
    Boardwalk Empire
    Modern Family
    Steve Buscemi
    Julianna Margules
    Ty Burrell
    Julie Bowen

14. Bingo says:

The SAG better show some much needed love to Kyle Chandler and Alec Baldwin.

15. Ronnie says:

Please SAG members. Do NOT give Alec Baldwin this comedy award again! Any of the other actors, even Jon Cryer, would be better!!

16. Sarah El says:

These seem generally pretty awful.

• Sarah El says:

Like there are some good calls (i.e. Game of Thrones, The Good Wife, a fair chunk of the Modern Family nods, Maggie Smith) but at least half of these picks are either meh or downright baffling.

17. Lauren says:

Yet again PARENTHOOD is ignored by an awards program.

SAG should be embarrassed about snubbing HOMELAND.

Who the heck watches Harry’s Law?!?!

18. IPF says:

They couldn’t even give her a nomination after robbing Connie Britton of the Leading Actress in a Drama award that belonged to her at LEAST 3 of the last 5 years

19. Eliza says:

Let me guess who will win in the Comedy categories….YAWN.

This award show will continue to be unjust as long as they keep ignoring Parks&Rec and Community. Glee is way past being an award worthy show IMHO. And this is coming from a former huge fan.

And I cannot believe Homeland was snubbed! WTFF?!?! The show & 3 of the main actors (Claire, Damian & Mandy) deserve to be nominated!
    Also think the same for Justified.

Anyway, Congrats to Patrick J. Adams!!
    I like him a lot and I do love Suits.
    Also, very nice to see GoT up there. Jessica Lange, as well. She’s fabulous!

20. Marsha says:

No Justified, Timothy Olyphant or Walton Goggins?
    No Homeland, Claire Danes or Damian Lewis?

What the hell is this?

21. Volcfom says:

Jessica Lange FTW!

22. m says:

the network shouldnt matter. Its about the quality and Nikita has it. The show is outstanding n deserves 2 b consider 4 major awards. Bt thats jst my opinion

23. Brad says:

Hey Community fans I got a solution for you, start your own award show

24. Jules says:

Who Cares!!! The SAG is actors voting for each other…it’s not very serious,the categories and selection/winners are almost the same year after year…
    Cannot compare to the golden globes or the Emmys where it’s the industry who choose… Of course, specially the Emmy- same people win..and others nominated each year and deserve to really win have to seat 3hrs to be snub again(ex:Hugh Laurie)
    Anyway,this little party is only a reunion to/for them to fake their love to each other and give weird/half drunk speech…..

25. Ingrid says:

Whatever, GLEE? TWO AND HALF MEN? And love Dame Smith, but she wasn’t the rockstar on Downton Abbey. Can we add a little variety to this parade of recognition for the mediocre? How about some more recognition for something international that does well in the US? A cult favorite? Something that WASN’T put on that list by good publicists? *blurg* I have reached the point of not caring what these stupid awards say is good. It almost never is.

26. Juliab. says:

Kyra Sedgwick FTW.

27. Bad Breaker says:

Breaking Bad should win Drama hands down (IMO). This past season was the best yet…absolutely riveting…and put the show up there with the greats. I also think Aaron Paul should be right up there with Bryan Cranston. Jesse is no longer a “supporting” actor but a co-lead with Walt.

28. Eliza says:

LOL. Okay, Jen.
    I realize this isn’t life or death but I can still react about tv things on a TV BLOG.
    But, thanks.

29. Alex says:

I wouldn’t mind the snubs if it weren’t for ridiculous nominations like Jon Cryer or Glee.

I don’t hate Glee, I think it’s okay, but to think the ensemble has an outstanding performance is preposterous.

30. Alex says:

I’m just waiting for the day when Southland is nominated for something other than stunt work at a major awards ceremony. Not that the stunt work isn’t amazing (it’s some of the most realistic stuff out there), but the actors and series as a whole deserve some accolades too. Season three really brought it, and it’s a shame they aren’t getting recognized for anything past stunts when it comes to these awards shows.

31. nyla says:

What is wrong with the Screen Actors Guild that Amy Poehler, Nick Offerman, and the cast of Parks & Rec are not being recognized?!

Golden Globes, don’t disappoint me!

32. Alex says:

I really like Suits, but that nomination should be for John Noble.

33. Heather says:

Can’t believe there wasn’t a single nomination for Homeland and Justified or the fantastic actors on both shows.

34. jnorton45 says:

Apparently being well past 40 helps get a SAG nomination.

35. Kaiulani says:

Where the hell is Fringe? I can see the shortsideness of the Emmy’s ignoring this show, but you would have thought SAG would reconginize greatness within it’s own ranks!!!!! UGH!!!

36. sara says:

Where is Robert Carlyle?

37. Linderella says:

Nothing for The Killing? Just because critics may have not liked the last 5 minutes of the entire series does not mean the series does not deserve consideration. The actors did not write the scripts – they performed what was on the page. And it was awesome!

38. Michele Robinson says:

I can not belive once again that Sons of Anarchy was over looked. By far season 4 was the best so far! Katie, Charlie, Ron and Maggie along with the show, writers, etc all deserved to be nominated. What a shame.

39. KIP says:

WTF!!!!!!! No sons of Anarhy!!! NONE!!!! Do these people even watch these shows!!?? or do they just go on how wekll the producers kissed their asses. If anty of them watched, then there is NO WAY IN HELL they could pick that VOMIT called Dexter over SOA. RYAN HURST’S acting alone deserves at least a nod. What a travesty. These shows have always been a joke, but this is ridiculous

40. April says:

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP nominations!!! Where’s Sons of Anarchy? Amy Peohler? Big Bang Theory? Even Melissa McCarthy (who won the frakkin Emmy) is left off of this list! I am so not watching these stupid awards this year… Ricky Gervais or not!

• Sasha says:

Wrong awards show.

Melissa did get a Nom but for Bridesmaids. Boo. She should have gotten one for Mike and Molly too

The SAGs suck balls.

Jim Parsons over Jon Cryer

41. eridapor says:

What I notice about these TV awards shows is that they tend to nominate the same people year after year even when the performances do not merited.

Three of the performers in the female drama category are big name former Oscar nominees. I’m betting that the majority of the people in the nominating committees did not even watch the performances. They just saw the name and went “yeah, she has to be nominated”

42. Cana says:

God how is Parks and Rec not up for best esamble. As well as Amy Poehler. She is not up In best actress. Also Nick Offerman snubbed again. Also I am it a big community fan. But I’d rather parks and Rec be in the best esamble list than Glee or the big bang theory. The office I understand it being up there. But last season 30 rock was weak. Not its best. If I had to pick the list of best ensemble it would be parks and Rec, the office,30 rock,modern family and community.

43. Tania says:

Treme is apparently getting the same treatment that The Wire got. Total omission.

44. Cana says:

Adam Scott also amazing on parks and Rec deserves some reconision espeicially for his work in season 4 on parks and Rec. But it baffles me that an award show that gives recognition to actors and great performances. Ignores parks and Rec. Especially since it really is one of the best castes shows on TV. I mean when people talk esamble parks and Rec Is the perfect defintion of a great esamble.

45. Yak says:

PATRICK J ADAMS?! (I just typed Adama by accident and considered leaving it up there as a punny joke.) Wow. A USA nom came out of left field but I’m super happy! That’s definitely one of if not their best shows. Where is Homeland though? Ridiculous.

46. khs says:

Jessica Lange and Kyle Chandler. That is all.

47. Fan says:

i’m shocked that patrick j adams was nominated, but i absolutely love suits so i’m happy for him. i honestly don’t think he’ll win bc he’s got some serious competition with the other no nominees, but good for him!

48. Kirby says:

Kathy Bates in Harry’s Law over Claire Danes in Homeland? What? They’re both great actresses, but Claire Danes is giving a much better performance in a superior show. And I can’t believe Glee was nominated after its awful, highly non-comedic season instead of Parks and Rec. Confusing!

49. bgt says:

EEWW worse than the Emmys..
    No Claire Danes for Drama actress?
    No Parks and Recreations?

ENOUGH with Modern Family already who has become the new 30rock or even worse.

50. Gabrielle says:

The Good Wife, Jessica Lange or Julianna Margules and Betty White. Just.