Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations: Modern Family Leads Pack, Homeland and Sons Snubbed

Nominations for the 18th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were announced on Wednesday morning, and ABC’s lovable Modern Family bested all comers with a total of five nods, including Outstanding Comedy Ensemble. Dexter and 30 Rock followed with three nominations each.

Notably shut out from the proceedings are Sons of Anarchy, Homeland (including Claire Danes), Parks and Recreation and Community. The eligibility period was the 2011 calendar year.

The SAG Awards will be broadcast Jan. 29 on TNT/TBS. Check out this full list of TV nominees, then share your raves and rants in the Comments! Coming Thursday morning: the Golden Globe nominations.

DRAMA SERIES — ENSEMBLE
Boardwalk Empire (won last year)
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife

DRAMA SERIES — MALE ACTOR
Patrick J. Adams, Suits
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire (won last year)
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter

DRAMA SERIES — FEMALE ACTOR
Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law
Glenn Close, Damages
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Julianna Margules, The Good Wife (won last year)
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

COMEDY SERIES — ENSEMBLE
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Glee
Modern Family (won last year)
The Office

COMEDY SERIES — MALE ACTOR
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (won last year)
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Steve Carell, The Office
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family

COMEDY SERIES — FEMALE ACTOR
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Betty White, Hot In Cleveland (won last year)

TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES — MALE ACTOR

Betty White, The Lost Valentine
Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce

STUNT ENSEMBLE
Dexter (Showtime)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Southland (TNT)
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (Starz)
True Blood (HBO)

(Nominees for the film categories can be found here.)

1. DL says:

I’d love to see Jessica Lange take it in the Drama Actress category. Her work on AHS has been incredible.

• Beth says:

Wholeheartedly agree with you.

• Todd says:

Me, too. No else in her category even comes close to her.

• Jason C says:

Claire Danes should have been nominated and she should win that category. Unfortunately no one from Homeland (the best new show on TV) was even nominated…

• DL says:

I do agree with you on that. I haven’t watched the most recent season of Harry’s Law, but based on what I saw in the first season, I surprised Bates picked up a nom over Danes, although I can’t make a judgment since I haven’t watched season two. Because there’s no supporting category here, it’s a really tough bracket.
          I was going to say I thought maybe Danes could have gotten a nomination over Kyra Sedgwick, despite the fact that I’m a huge The Closer fan and watch it every week, and then when I thought about her work in regards to the lawsuit storyline as well as the case with the kid who [spoiler] in interrogation, I changed my mind.
          Really tough category!

• Plum says:

I wish the whole AHS cast had been nominated, but Lange is truly terrific, my god, she just sears the screen.

• Lizzie says:

I totally agree! I wish the ensemble was nominated as well. The guy who plays Tate is just as compelling as Jessica Lange, the two of them in a scene are just beyond fantastic. I had to pause and re-watch the scene where she confronts him over Rubber Man baby. It was exquisitely well done, stellar.

• dkzigs says:

^THIS! Her work on that show has been so OUTSTANDING. Even if I weren’t a fan of the series I would have been taken in by how brilliant her performances have been. There are great actresses in this category but her body of work on AHS really stands alone when you compare it with what the others in that category have been nominated for. I can’t believe that any submission would be more deserving of recognition than hers…

• Bad Breaker says:

I agree with all the above. She is amazing in AHS and is the best of the nominees.

2. Chmarin says:

What is it with these people that they keep nominating Dexter? That show has been a piece of BLEEP since season 2. And it’s gone to a whole new level of BS this year.

3. Michen says:

Where the hell is Castle? Or even Stana and Nathan!

• T says:

Oh, come on. It’s a fun show but let’s be realistic.

• Lucas says:

Lmfao, I agree. It’s a lighthearted kinda of drama. Not award worthy at all. xD.

• Katarzyna says:

Are you kidding me? Have you even watched this season’s “Kill shot” episode? Lighthearted? Seriously? Stana Katic so much should have been nominatated for this one. It’s so unfair she’s constantly overlooked, nobody is more talented that this girl.

• docvap says:

I whole-heartedly agree with you. Stana deserves the nomination for KillShot alone. She is overlooked because of the “dramedy” category and that is ridiculous. Talent is talent!

• Caskett says:

I think it’s because Castle is neither a drama nor a comedy but a dramedy. It just doesn’t fit the categories! I’d say: TIME FOR NEW CATEGORIES!!!! Because Castle is freakin’ AWESOME and deserves a lot of awards!

• George says:

Terriers was Dramedy Noir but was basically ignored by award assemblies after it’s cancellation. If castle was even fourth as good i would agree with you.

4. Stephanie says:

JESSICA LANGE FOR ALL THE AWARDS.

5. cc says:

Go Julianna!

• Saint Alicia says:

Yes! And TGW should win drama ensemble–everyone in the cast brings it!
      Also, yay for Southland :)

• JT says:

Jessica Lange may look good for the award but Julianna did a wonderful job this year and year before so, Jessica don’t stand a chance no matter what, Julianna did better.

6. scooterbeanbag says:

I wish people would stop nominating Glee for awards already.

• natalia says:

Exactly. Anything that nominates Glee over Community or Parks & Recreation is automatically void.

• EXACTLY! says:

I involuntarily shouted “REALLY?” when I saw Glee was there but not P&R. I mean come on, the 3rd season was the closest thing to perfection I’ve ever seen on tv. I also don’t understand the continued love for Modern Family. It feels like they are just sloshing through the same story over and over again. Modern Family was excellent in the first season but has progressed into a predictable snoozefest ever since. To kind of quote the great Ron Swanson, I think awards are stupid, but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.

• Nadia says:

Why on earth do you people keep watching Glee??? I abandoned it when season 2 started.

• Plum says:

I’ve ceased watching Glee this seaon; just got tired of them repeating the same plot points over and over. I think I got sung-out or lip sync fatigue, not sure what happened but it was a must see one minute and dreck the next.

• Jon says:

Who made you TV God

• Denise says:

YES! They only deserved it for the first year. Last night’s episode was painful to watch and the show is uneven on a good night.

• Alice says:

Seriously! I get the fact that all 90 people that vote for Golden Globes love it- but surely more people than that vote for SAG? That’s why when the Emmy’s come around, Parks and Rec is up where it belongs and Glee rallys around Jane Lynch. The show is awful.

• Brittany says:

It’s funny because “Glee” gets a lot of hate online, but I still know plenty of people who watch and love it. Before the “bad taste” or “stupid” comments come, everyone has different opinions. Why should you insult someone for theirs when you can say your own? It’s much easier for people to be mean, but it feels so much better to be nice. :)

• Kate says:

Because comments are a forum for different opinions it’s not “mean” to voice an opinion, and just because people love the show, doesn’t mean it deserves an award
        To be perfectly honest the show is an erratic mess and although the singing might be exceptional the story lines are tired, cliche and the writing is a MESS

• Brittany says:

Sorry, I didn’t mean that it was mean for someone to say they didn’t like the show, I meant it’s mean when they criticize someone else for liking it. And I also agree that “Parks and Rec” (it’s the best comedy on TV BY FAR imo and Poehls and Offerman are brilliant) and “Community” should have been nominated over “Glee,” but I don’t believe “The Office” should have been (for the past few seasons)nominated at all, so I would have had it be “Parks and Rec,” “Community,” “Glee,” “The Big Bang Theory,” and “Modern Family.” =)

• Christina says:

Plenty of people love and watch CSI yet its not getting awards. Just because people still watch it and love it does not mean it is award worthy. I happen to watch Glee still, just barely though, and can’t believe it got nominated over Parks and Rec and Community. Glee maybe has 3 or 4 laugh out loud moments in any given hour episode while the actual comedies have 5 times that in half the time.

7. Leslie says:

Where is Jim Parsons???

8. Rachel says:

Where’s Community?? Parks and Recreation??

9. Dee says:

Still no Community?!

10. josh says:

DEXTER WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

NO NOMINATION FOR JENNIFER CARPENTER??? AGAIN???!!! THAT SUCKS…

11. Josh says:

No Connie Britton? No ensemble nomination for FNL? Also nothing for Parenthood or Parks & Recreation? And I love Suits and I think Patrick J. Adams is delightful, but that show isn’t close to deserving a nomination for anything. I’ll watch to see if Kyle wins, but this show is officially a joke.

• Bad Breaker says:

Totally agree, Josh. If any show deserves an ensemble nomination it’s FNL.

• Maggie says:

Agreed as well. At least Kyle Chandler finally got the Emmy. Though the show really is all about the connecting characters and is completely deserving of an ensemble nom. Thank goodness the critics at least are unanimous in believing its brilliance.

• Tania says:

Why, because YOUR show didn’t get truly nominated with more? Listen, that FNL was even considered is the true joke. Overrated drivel and I’m not alone with this sentiment.

12. Donna says:

Why am I even surprised any more that John Noble gets routinely ignored.

13. anthony says:

where is the best show on tv s.o.a
    cmon people…get it right

14. Elizabeth says:

Shocked to see Patrick Adams here, but I love it. Have to agree about Jim Parsons, though.

• opus says:

I too am surprised but ecstatic over the nomination for Patrick Adams. Suits was the best show on television over the summer and I am really glad to see this deserved nomination.

15. S. from A. says:

no parks and rec? no community? no amy poehler? this is ridiculous o.O

16. Sam says:

What is it with awards ignoring CASTLE and it’s cast? Both Nathan and Stana are terrific actors and yet they are never nominated!

• Caskett says:

17. rantmuch says:

Ok, no Jim Parsons for the Comedy Category? He has been snubbed for a while with SAG now. Emmy and Golden Globes, but still no SAG love… Surprised Glee is still nominated after that awful 2nd season, although this is for the cast which I think compensate for the aweful writing… Also, I believe Melissa McCarthy is nominated in the movie category but not the TV ones… weird…

18. Nanda says:

HAHAHAHAHA. No Parks, no Community, no Homeland? They clearly don’t watch TV. Dexter and Glee nominations by now are just an embarrassment.

19. Lucas says:

Jessica Lange is the only one I’d accept as a winner to make up for the lack of a Katey Sagal nomination. :'(

20. m says:

WTF!! Where’s Nikita noms?? Nikita has great cast n writters

21. Kaye says:

Glad to see Kyle Chandler nominated.

22. S says:

Why do the Screen Actors Guild awards hate Parks and Recreation? No show deserved a comedy ensemble nod more than Parks did.

23. Alex says:

yawn, another year, more of the same, next

24. Amanda says:

sigh… no community, no sons of anarchy… boourns

25. Ingmar says:

The Good Wife deserves the best drama award, aswell as best actress ( Marguilles ). Other than that I’d vote for Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory and Kate Winslet.

26. Karen says:

Ugh the nominations and awards NEVER go to the shows that really deserve them……

27. Laura says:

It’s like they don’t even watch TV, these events rarely highlight the more inventive or original shows, they continue to simply nominate the same shows, no matter how tired or underserving they are
    and can someone enlighten me on Modern Family because i’ve watched it and it’s become repetitive and is hardly original or engaging to achieve so many nominations and wins

• Jon says:

Just because its not original doesn’t mean its not good, it is hilarious

• Kate says:

Awards are supposed to celebrate the exceptional, and modern family has simply been a shadow of its first season
        it might be mildly funny, but its not award worthy, or at least to the extent its been receiving

28. Michelle says:

Patrick J. Adams instead of SEAN BEAN?! WTF is wrong with these idiots?!

29. Sue says:

Really? SOA, Katey, really??!!??

• Lucas says:

Seriously! Katey and Maggie deserved personal nominations and the cast deserved an ensemble nomination.

I am so mad. Hopefully the Globes get it right tomorrow morning!

30. natalia says:

Do these people even watch television? It seems they check out the names and vote for the ones they’re more familiar with. There is no way Glee has been better than either Community or Parks & Recreation (to name a couple of shows). And we’re talking about performances only, right? NO WAY IN HELL.

31. Lauren says:

THANK YOU. Why they never get nominated for anything is beyond me.

32. Andrea says:

Where’s Homeland?!?

• Alienate says:

Here! Here! Homeland and Clair Danes is the best thing on TV.

Maybe SAG can’t afford a Showtime subscription.

Dane’s latest episode, with her face all messed up, and off her meds….. was damn terrific.

• aen says:

So true…I just can’t believe that Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin or even Damian Lewis were not nominated. Danes is riveting in her role and this last episode was brilliant! Hopefully there will be some Homeland nominations for the Golden Globes.

33. silentj says:

I think the SAG awards need to have categories for supporting actors in TV dramas and comedies. For a guild that is entirely concerned with acting, it seems silly that they don’t. I do like the ensemble category but I think they should honour more individual achievement too.

34. David says:

Where the hell is Claire Danes ? Best female performance of the year. Homeland deserves the drama award. Hope the award goes to Jessica Lange.

35. l says:

no Stana Katic? no Nathan Fillion? really?

• Tania says:

Yeah, really. Why should they even be considered? Castle is not a high caliber show. It is just a routine, predictable silly series. Something to kill time. It has no teeth.

36. Guy says:

So nothing new. Same old same old nominees.

37. mandy says:

Seems to me like the cable networks are dominating more then ever in the Drama cataory! I think its because the regular networks don’t have any original ideas anymore. Dont get me wrong I watch several of them but most of them fall in three catagorys. Hospital, Lawyer or Crime….

• AmandaW says:

You are so right! I told my husband the same thing the other night, something along the lines of, “oh great, another crime drama”. It is ridiculous. HBO, IMHO, is very cutting edge and unique.

38. Mel says:

Homeland is the best written show on TV right now, right on par with Breaking Bad. And Claire Danes? Spellbinding! To leave this show, and their wonderful actors out (and Mandy Patinkin and the rest of the cast deserve kudos as well),is just idiotic. What is wrong with these people? So skipping this awards derby,thanks!

• sabrina says:

I agree. Why was Homeland not nominated for anything or are they not eligible to be nominated?

• Tania says:

According to the SAG rules, Homeland does qualify. They just didn’t get enough votes to contend this year apparently. Well there is next year.

Right now we have the Golden Globes and Emmys to look forward to. Hopefully, Homeland gets recognized then.

• Bad Breaker says:

Agree. It’s totally criminal that they overlooked Homeland and Claire Daines…ridiculous !

39. Jennifer says:

The Office? That show hasn’t been funny for three seasons.

40. Jay says:

Dexter shouldnt be anywhere near nominations this year. Did any of them try watching it?

41. Chelsea says:

I watched all the episodes of Suits and I enjoyed it, but nominating Patrick J. Adams over Damian Lewis in Homeland is completely ridiculous. I can’t believe that Community and Homeland were both shut out.

In fact, if they were going to nominate a USA show, I think White Collar is better acted and I would prefer to see Matt Bomer or Tim Dekay get a nomination.

42. Cora says:

I’m so bored and annoyed with all the politics in Hollywood. Afraid to take any chances and always the same vanilla, safe nominations.
    BORING!

Sean Bean, Katey Sagal, Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin all worthy of recognition. The only surprise in this entire list is Jessica Lange. At least they finally went out of the box on one nomination. Is this their “token” edgy nom?

(Although, I will say congrats to Kyle Chandler, another one who has been overlooked through the years.)

43. Sue says:

Is it just me or do the same people get nominated every year? Just an observation. The only highlight was Jessica Lange is nominated.

44. Lynne says:

I agree with the previous post about Homeland, competely ridiculous to leave this amazing acted/written series. What did SAG do copy and paste last years nominations?

45. Andy says:

Yeah no Community, no Parks and Rec, no Homeland. This nomination list is silly…

And why is Glee even on this? Season 1 Glee was not bad, but everything after that is pretty meh

46. Amy says:

No Community or Pars and Rec?? Way to nominate “quality” shows

47. Samantha F says:

how Jon Cryer continues to get nominated for awards is beyond ALL reason. that show is what’s wrong with America.

go MF, Kyle & Julianna!

SNUBS: Big Bang (Kaley!), Parenthood, and FNL ensemble.

48. superboetti says:

What the hell?!?! Why is NCIS not nominated?? NCIS should NOT be overlooked anymore!

GO Modern Family and The Good Wife!

• auntiemm says:

NCIS is one of the best ensemble casts hands down…it wouldn’t have survived this long and maintained its ratings if it wasn’t. BUT, as much as I love the show, it is not heavy drama which is what most of the others bring to the table.

I am ticked no SOA, Fringe or Community. And Jon Cryer….CMON.

49. wmcc520 says:

Patrick Admams??? But no Damian Lewis, what a crock! I can’t believe Homeland didn’t get any nominations. Both Lewis and Claire Danes have been brilliant.

Also, love that Kyle Chandler is on there but what about Connie Britton for the final season of FNL. She deserves it just as much.

50. Kaibosh says:

WTF!!!!! Where is Homeland and Sons of Anarchy or Treme for that matter? kathy Bates but no Clair Danes?! GLEE AND BIG BANG THEORY but no Community?!? WTF!!!