American Horror Story Spoiler Alert: Connie Britton Delivers Scoop on Her Big [Spoiler]

[Warning: If you have yet to watch Wednesday's episode of American Horror Story, head for the nearest exit. I repeat: If you've yet to watch Wednesday's episode of American Horror Story, head for the nearest exit. Everyone else, read on... ]

Wednesday’s penultimate freshman episode of FX’s American Horror Story delivered big thrills, haunting chills and lady of the house Vivien to the proverbial morgue! Yep, in case you haven’t already heard, shortly after delivering her and Rubber Man’s demon spawn, TV’s most Desperate Housewife was put out of her misery. (Constance whisked the wee one away before we could see whether it had horns.)

Here, Connie Britton recounts her three-day childbirth ordeal, explains why she’s thrilled to join the show’s growing gaggle of ghosts, and offers a tantalizing tease about next week’s season finale.

TVLINE | Unless I’m mistaken, you shot this episode right around the time you became a mom in real-life [to adopted son, Eyob].
It totally overlapped. The previous episode the producers wrote me out so I could go to Ethiopia to get this baby. And I had just gotten back with my new baby and then had to shoot this childbirth scene! It was crazy. I screamed my ass off for three days. It was so exhausting. When I read the script, I was kind of like, “Oh, man, all I’m going to be doing is giving birth the whole episode.” [Laughs] It took three days to shoot that whole sequence.

TVLINE | No.
Yes it did! It was so long. It was very intense. And I wanted it to look real. I was consulting with [costar and mother of three] Jessica Lange. And we had a medical person on set….

TVLINE | What advice did Jessica Lange give you?
She was really helpful. I can’t remember specifics, but just in terms of the level of pain that you’re in. We talked a lot about what happens during each moment, like when the water breaks and all that stuff…. God bless Matt Ross [who plays Dr. Charles Montgomery], who basically had my crotch in his face for three days. I just had to kind of lay there. I also had that big pregnancy belly on, which was a prosthetic and very heavy, so it was a whole to-do every time I had to get up and down out. So between takes, I would just kind of lay there like a lump covered in various amounts of blood depending on where we were in the take.

TVLINE | What did you give birth to? We didn’t see its face. Tell me!
No. Hell no. [Laughs] I’m not ruining it for people. I’m not telling you what I gave birth to. If they didn’t show you in the episode, I’m definitely not telling you. It will all be revealed [in next week's finale].

TVLINE | How far in advance did you know that Vivien was going to die giving birth?
I knew from the beginning. But at first I thought Dylan [McDermott] and I were going to kill each other in some mutual murder/suicide thing. But then not very long after that it became clear that it was probably going to be [during] childbirth.

TVLINE | Of course, on this show, there could be a lot of life after death.
Oh, I know. Let me just tell you something: I was so excited once I became a ghost. The ghosts have all the fun! [Laughs] Ghosts get to have nice outfits. Ghosts don’t have to wear pregnancy bellies. Ghosts apparently change clothes all the time, willy-nilly. I don’t know where their clothes come from but they have fabulous wardrobes.

TVLINE | And I imagine all of Vivien’s angst has completely vanished.
A lot less angst. I’m as cool as a cucumber in the finale. [Laughs] It’s kind of fun.

TVLINE | Speaking of which, what exactly is Vivien up to next week?
Here’s what I will say about the last episode: Vivien’s goal is to bring the family together. That’s all I’m going to say about it. Because ghosts need family, too.

TVLINE | Will Ghost Vivien be sticking around for Season 2?
We’ll see. It was always my understanding that I was going to do one season, but it’s all up in the air. Who knows?

TVLINE | If it is only for one season, what will you do next?
I’m taking a couple of months off to spend some time with my son. And then I’m getting back into the David O. Russell thing [that Britton and the acclaimed director are developing] for FX. That’s still in the pipeline.

TVLINE | And what about the Friday Night Lights movie?
I think Pete [Berg] is really tied up next year, so I don’t think that would happen until the end of next year — if it happens at all. But everybody really wants to make it happen.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, News, Scoop

1. tvaddict says:

As much as I have loved this show, I am really worried about how they are going to keep it fresh next season. I mean this is assuming the Harmons will not be the main focus next season

2. Kristin says:

I so can’t wait until next week! Please don’t let it be a one season and done thing! Great interview Aus!

• Mike says:

Well it WAS renewed for season 2. But if you’re worried about what season 2 will look like, you have every right to be! Just look at other Ryan Murphy productions after season 1. :-) But, I’ll hold out hope. lol

• Laur says:

Sadly, I am also scared as to what this show will become since it is Ryan Murphy’s. (i.e. Popular, Nip/Tuck, Glee) They all went down the drain within the second season.

3. Lynn says:

So good!! I can’t believe next week is the finale. Hands down, best new show of the season for me.

4. Jo says:

Wow they all better come back. No show with violate

5. Lyndsey says:

Awesome episode! Really hoping Vivian gets the chance to kick Hayden’s butt now that they’re on equal footing! Next week should be the best of the season!

I’m very interested to see how they approach the second season. I can’t see them just starting from scratch with a new family as one of the best parts of the show has been slowly uncovering the secrets of the house. I can see them progressing with the Harmons trying to deal with a “mixed” family (living & dead) and raising their new hellspawn!

6. Krisbeh says:

I have said since the second episode that the only way to keep it fresh is to bring in new meat! I’m SO excited for the finale and season 2! I will DEFINITELY get the box set once all is said and done on this show.

7. fernando says:

I am liking the idea of a whole new fresh show and story next season, I really really will like it if each season its a new story, a new place, a new cast, that will keep me watching this show, I have to say the cast did wonderful this year but I don’t think i ever been scared of this show, I hope next season they work on scaring us more. Only tonights ep. scared me when the clown looking guy popped out.

8. Katie says:

God this show just gets better and better! Amazing performances from Connie, Dylan, Taissa, Jessica, etc. I cried at the end when Vivian was comforting Violet!
    As for next season, honestly, I think creatively the best thing to do would be to put it in a whole new setting with a whole new family and whole new set of “american horrors”. The american horrors concepts has so many potential directions to go in, it’d almost be a waste to keep doing the same thing every season, as much as I love this cast and these characters.

9. Saint Alicia says:

“Here’s what I will say about the last episode: Vivien’s goal is to bring the family together.”
    So… that means somehow making sure Mr. Harmon dies as well?

10. Jason says:

Different stories for different seasons sounds like a good plan. I have a feeling this story and ensemble will come to a satisfactory conclusion next week.

11. dee says:

One of the BEST shows of 2011! Can’t wait for next week!

12. Doug says:

Well I read that the house is actually on the market now for someone to buy. So it sounds like season 2 would take place somewhere different with a new cast. But what about Constance :(

• Melanie says:

The house is entirely recreated on set, right down to the fixtures. If they want to keep the house- and I think there’s so much potential with just cycling through new families- they just need to get external shots once and a while. They never owned it to begin with, just shot the exteriors.

• Rain says:

I just read an interview with Ryan Murphy on another site and apparently the house was for sale when they were shooting the pilot, so I don’t think that matters much.

13. nitemar says:

This episode was soo intense! I can’t believe its coming to an end next week, until? Speaking of which, the blind item Ausiello was talking about I think he was referring to AHS. New house, new ghosts, new location.

• dan says:

This. It’s called American Horror Story. I’ll bet they are going to do an entirely different show in a different location. Who knows, it might even be something different than a ghost story.

14. AA says:

How come it is spoiler when the headlines is gives the actors name and pictures. Not complaining just saying.

15. August says:

Wow. Crazy awesome episode! Can’t wait to see how season 1 ends next week.

16. Aleksa says:

I didn’t get teary at Vivien’s death, but I lost it a little when she was comforting Violet. And for the record, I’m team New Family next year.

17. Casey says:

It’ll probably end being inevitable anyway, but Britton kind of spoils Dylan McDermott’s fate too for next week with “always knew I’d do at least one season/knew from the start/thought we’d end doing a murder and suicide end.”

• Phil says:

I was so shocked that Violet was already dead after her suicide attempt in the bathtub. I hope they keep Ben alive in Season 2 so he can bring more crazy people for “analysis”. It’ll get crowded with all those ghosts but there will be plenty of horrors to go on.

18. Taz says:

They need to keep it in the same location, they aint even began to explore how this “house” has the power it does, that is what th focus of the 2nd season should be

• RS says:

Absolutely agreed. I don’t think continuing with a second season, same cast and place is complicated at all. With the phenomenal cast they have compiled and the success of the first season, I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. New family with an even improved cast, maybe. Only this time around the Harmons can play the role of ghosts trying to bring the cycle to a close rather than igniting it further.

19. “Vivien’s goal is to bring the family together.” Yes!!! I think Ben is going to join them! Or go to jail for all of the dead bodies in the house that he can’t explain… I just can’t see ‘Mass Murderer Ben Harmon’ all over the papers. What an awesome premiere season.

20. GK says:

My 2nd new fav show of the season! This episode was so darn awesome! Really want to see that baby! I hope they move to another location next season with new characters. They could keep on making more good storylines if they are not restricted by just one family. I’m expecting a lot from the finale and so praying for them to pull off a decent one.

21. Lizzie says:

God this show is so good! I was soooo happy for Violet that she got her mom to be there with her, how twisted is that! hahaha! That I was excited that Vivian would die so that they could be together, lol! Classic!

The Tate/Violet scenes were sooo intense! What is going to happen??

22. Jack R says:

After watching last night I’m genuinely torn between thinking it’s an interesting hook that every season, the entire cast save for the crazy neighbor, is just going to end up stuck in there… or if the show jumped Rosemary’s Baby last night and the premise is doomed to the novelty of starting from scratch every season.. with ultimately no real progression of the larger arch. If everyone dies and becomes a prisoner, who’s left to fight the evil, free the souls, and put an end to the madness? Is it just going to be about the next unsuspecting home owner and their eventual doom? The last two episodes provided much needed explanation/exposition.. But if next season is just about more clueless future victims I’m not sure that’s enough to hold me on this horror sudser.

23. Kay says:

AH. OMG I JUST LOVE AND ADORE CONNIE BRITTON. SHE HAS SO GROWN ON ME AS SUCH A NICE, COOL AMAZING WOMAN. AFTER WATCHING HER ON AHS, I STARTED FNL AND I LOVE IT AND HER.

24. Jillovely says:

I think it would be great if they made it a different “American Horror Story” each season. Sort of like a season-long Twilight Zone episode. The title sequence is pretty vague and that would be the best way to keep it fresh and exciting. So far, it seems as if the show addresses many of today’s average American family’s issues and I think that would be a great way to go with the series.

25. Kelly says:

I’d easily see it going on, especially if Constance moved back into the house. She’s certainly got reason; Tate, Travis, Beauregard, the new baby, etc. I think moving out of the house to a new house with a new family is going to be a bad idea if it happens, because they’ve built the house itself up so much that it’s almost another silent character, and abandoning it after so much building is going to be really disappointing.